did i do well in the second interview or bombed it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Job Seeker in Toronto, Ontario

26 months ago

So i was called back for a second interview which i had yesterday, but with a different person who i will be working with (if i get the job). The interview lasted about 20 minutes and before the start of interview, the guy told me he will not asking any question about my skills, experience etc as it was already done during the 1st interview. He told me this interview is like getting to know each other type conversation where he told me more about the job responsibility, benefits and accommodation and also asked me my hobbies etc. everything went well, he was comfortable talking to me, so was i, couple of jokes here and there and thats all

at the end i asked him questions related to the job and finally asked him when do i get to hear from him, he said very soon and after a pause he said, by next week as he is interviewing other candidates.

my question is was 20 minutes enough to judge a candidate in 2nd interview? or did he make up his mind before the interview that i will not get this job so he just talked to kill 20 minutes somehow. Also i was expecting some questions based on my skills and experience.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Frazier in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

I have been getting the same type of interviews lately. I have no idea what that's about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Job Seeker in Toronto, Ontario said: So i was called back for a second interview which i had yesterday, but with a different person who i will be working with (if i get the job). The interview lasted about 20 minutes and before the start of interview, the guy told me he will not asking any question about my skills, experience etc as it was already done during the 1st interview. He told me this interview is like getting to know each other type conversation where he told me more about the job responsibility, benefits and accommodation and also asked me my hobbies etc. everything went well, he was comfortable talking to me, so was i, couple of jokes here and there and thats all

at the end i asked him questions related to the job and finally asked him when do i get to hear from him, he said very soon and after a pause he said, by next week as he is interviewing other candidates.

my question is was 20 minutes enough to judge a candidate in 2nd interview? or did he make up his mind before the interview that i will not get this job so he just talked to kill 20 minutes somehow. Also i was expecting some questions based on my skills and experience.

What do you guys think?

Means nothing. Give them 30 days to make up their minds and tomorrow apply for five more jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

Who knows, could go both ways. Is the 2nd interview with the hiring manager?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Job Seeker in Toronto, Ontario

26 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Who knows, could go both ways. Is the 2nd interview with the hiring manager?

Yes he is guy who makes the last call,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

26 months ago

To me, it kinda sounds like letting the potential co-worker see if he thinks you would "fit in", if he thinks he would "enjoy" working with you.

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: Who knows, could go both ways. Is the 2nd interview with the hiring manager?

Never spend too much time picking the lint out of your navel. Regardless of the story, keep applying for other jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: To me, it kinda sounds like letting the potential co-worker see if he thinks you would "fit in", if he thinks he would "enjoy" working with you.

That's not uncommon, especially if the job is technical in nature. Boss may not have the skills to test your acumen on the skills you need to get through the day.

In any case, keep applying. Hoping for good news for you!

KA2 in Sydney

26 months ago

It is good to try & figure out how an interview went, but try not to let it consume your time & energy, so you can continue to apply to other jobs. The more jobs you apply to, the less important one specific job application becomes, as you have other job applications in progress to look forward to.

Every manager is different. To this manager, it sounds like he focused on what is important to him. I'd send him a thank you note & then in a week or so you can follow up with him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

26 months ago

Job Seeker in Toronto, Ontario said: So i was called back for a second interview which i had yesterday, but with a different person who i will be working with (if i get the job). The interview lasted about 20 minutes and before the start of interview, the guy told me he will not asking any question about my skills, experience etc as it was already done during the 1st interview. He told me this interview is like getting to know each other type conversation where he told me more about the job responsibility, benefits and accommodation and also asked me my hobbies etc. everything went well, he was comfortable talking to me, so was i, couple of jokes here and there and thats all

What do you guys think?

Can well relate to the frustration. I too have had the experience of thinking the interview wrapped up too quickly for them to really know what I was about.

My thoughts? I believe employers are interviewing a lot of people for one position and they have time constraints. I also think that some of these interviews we all have been faithfully going to may or may not be real openings, but rather a litmus test to what the market will bear and what kind of employee they may want in the future.

It's no coincidence that almost all of us have done the interview thing and are left having no idea where we stood in the end.

Keep applying, keep interviewing, and don't be surprised if weeks turn into months before you hear anything back, if ever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Keep applying, keep interviewing, and don't be surprised if weeks turn into months before you hear anything back, if ever.

Yes, so much of this is just a Number's Game. Keep applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Western Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Job Seeker in Toronto, Ontario said: my question is was 20 minutes enough to judge a candidate in 2nd interview? or did he make up his mind before the interview that i will not get this job so he just talked to kill 20 minutes somehow.
It probably went fine. You cannot know if he made up his mind or his agenda. He did discuss the job's responsibilities, benefits and accommodations. I don't especially like that he asked about your hobbies - what relevance are they to the job?

Do not follow up. Do not call or e-mail. Give it another working week max and move on if you hear nothing further. If you hear from him after that period of time, fine. You can decide if you're still interested. Do not stop looking.

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Western Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I don't especially like that he asked about your hobbies - what relevance are they to the job?

Years ago, when I worked in a bank, one of the questions they asked of candidate bank tellers was "What do you like to do in your spare time?" Sounds innocent enough but it wasn't.

Any answer that had: camping, hiking, kayaking or ocean cruises made you a No Hire.

Scheduling bank tellers is all stimulus/response and they preferred all their tellers to live within 5 miles of the branch and be ready to come in at a moments' notice.

Western Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Any answer that had: camping, hiking, kayaking or ocean cruises made you a No Hire.
That's what I'm driving at. None of that stuff has anything to do with one's ability to do the job. Ocean cruising has nothing to do with doing a job, unless one is a travel writer. Besides, your vacation time is yours, if they still give vacation time.

KA2 in Sydney

26 months ago

Try to think of valuable work that you did, like volunteer, full-time student, full-time parent or carer for elderly parent.... & if it's only 8 months out of the 2 years, you can indicate this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KA2 in Sydney

26 months ago

KA2 in Sydney said: Try to think of valuable work that you did, like volunteer, full-time student, full-time parent or carer for elderly parent.... & if it's only 8 months out of the 2 years, you can indicate this.

I posted this to the wrong post. I am not sure how this occured. Sorry.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.