How do deal with rejection during job search - Any advice????

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (41)

Leeann66 in Kitchener, Ontario

1 month ago

I went to 3 interviews in one week. That weekend I stayed in bed the whole time. Went to my doctor and she gave me 6 weeks worth of Cymbalta (anti-depressant). This week I didn't even shower for 4 days!!! How do you stay positive and keep going? I only eat once a day now and it's usually pasta. I can't even afford gas now to go to an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Razgriz in Anchorage, Alaska

1 month ago

Kind of hard. Just try to find something you enjoy and do it and try as best you can to ignore the rest. Nothing you can really do about it except what you're already doing. Filling out applications, sending in resumes, etc. I know it's hard to stay positive. I feel as you do, except I do get up and shower and try to do my part but every morning is a struggle to just get up after you been through the whole process a thousand times before. Everything I used to take pleasure from, reading, tv, sports just kind of numbs me since I'm constantly in a state of anxiety now. Honestly really don't know what to say and people who haven't gone though it can't help either as they always just give you the same old advice of "you tried looking at x place, or doing y?" Of course I have, I done everything. Err yea, sorry to go on a little rant.

Just take some time out of each day you can doing something you enjoy knowing you're doing your part and you can't control anything else. If you have a good support system, maybe you can lean on them a bit just hang out or something just to get your mind off it for a bit. At least that's what I try to tell myself to do, doesn't really help me as what I and we all want/need is a job and structure to get our life together and get out of the rut.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leeann66 in Kitchener, Ontario

1 month ago

Razgriz in Anchorage, Alaska said: Kind of hard. Just try to find something you enjoy and do it and try as best you can to ignore the rest. Nothing you can really do about it except what you're already doing. Filling out applications, sending in resumes, etc. I know it's hard to stay positive. I feel as you do, except I do get up and shower and try to do my part but every morning is a struggle to just get up after you been through the whole process a thousand times before. Everything I used to take pleasure from, reading, tv, sports just kind of numbs me since I'm constantly in a state of anxiety now. Honestly really don't know what to say and people who haven't gone though it can't help either as they always just give you the same old advice of "you tried looking at x place, or doing y?" Of course I have, I done everything. Err yea, sorry to go on a little rant.

Just take some time out of each day you can doing something you enjoy knowing you're doing your part and you can't control anything else. If you have a good support system, maybe you can lean on them a bit just hang out or something just to get your mind off it for a bit. At least that's what I try to tell myself to do, doesn't really help me as what I and we all want/need is a job and structure to get our life together and get out of the rut.

I worked on an amazing cover letter today for a job I saw posted online. It's only 3 minutes from my house. Going to get up early and take it to the manager in person.

I use to have friends, but they just bring me down. They have no idea how hard it is because they have good jobs. They say negative things and think I'm not trying hard enough. I decided to ditch them I don't need that right now. More support on here !!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

I hear you on that. I really don't have any local friends here. But old friends I still keep in contact with a bit. They gone through the same thing as me, going to school, searching for a job, etc. So they don't talk down to me or anything. They know how hard it is to get a job cause they have gone through the same thing. Can't say the same for family though. Anyways good luck with that posting.

Eva 14 in San Francisco, California

1 month ago

I feel your pain. I'm going through the exact thing, with severe chronic migraines. I even have a friend who lives in your town. She has nursing degree+steady job.

I don't have local friends or connections. Seems to be only way to get a job these days.

I go in person, but am always told to 'go to the website'. It's the jobsite from He--! Jobsite is impersonal + outsourced to Asia. I spend 5 hours on online application, cover letter, and resume. Wanted someone w/ B.A. Psychology, which I have. Took them all of 24 hours to send me auto-reject email! Will not even consider me for job interview.

I've seen career counselors. Ask in desperation, 'What am I doing wrong?" Competition is FIERCE, others have Master's Degrees, more experience, and RECENT experience. Recession has KILLED job market.

Am in tears due to chronic migraine pain+frustration. Desperate for ANY job---cannot get anything. At least you're getting interviews. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio

1 month ago

Job-hunting rejection really hurts. Whether it's leaving an interview that didn't go well, receiving yet another rejection letter, or getting no response to your applications, it's drop-by-drop water torture, or death from a thousand cuts.

To keep your sanity, I think you've got to find things that are outside yourself and completely not a part of that process. For me it's walking in the woods, riding fast and hard on my bicycle, or going out at night to look at stars and lightning bugs. For someone else, it might be knitting, cooking, volunteering, going to live music shows... whatever works to exercise your mind and/or body, and pull your thoughts away from the job hunt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leeann66 in Woodstock, Ontario

1 month ago

Eva 14 in San Francisco, California said: I feel your pain. I'm going through the exact thing, with severe chronic migraines. I even have a friend who lives in your town. She has nursing degree+steady job.

I don't have local friends or connections. Seems to be only way to get a job these days.

I go in person, but am always told to 'go to the website'. It's the jobsite from He--! Jobsite is impersonal + outsourced to Asia. I spend 5 hours on online application, cover letter, and resume. Wanted someone w/ B.A. Psychology, which I have. Took them all of 24 hours to send me auto-reject email! Will not even consider me for job interview.

I've seen career counselors. Ask in desperation, 'What am I doing wrong?" Competition is FIERCE, others have Master's Degrees, more experience, and RECENT experience. Recession has KILLED job market.

Am in tears due to chronic migraine pain+frustration. Desperate for ANY job---cannot get anything. At least you're getting interviews. Good luck to you.

I have found some good advice on You Tube. The best success I have had is actually calling employers- but there is a trick to it. You have to get past the receptionist first and this is how you do it. First call- use a different phone line and just ask who is hiring for that department. Get their email, name and title.
Second call - wait a couple of days then call back in a confident tone of voice and ask to speak with that person like they are expecting your call (use your actual phone number this time). If you don't have success with that, call back after hours and leave a voice mail message (try to get their ext.) Kindly leave a message and tell them you are going to be mailing our your resume - use snail mail for this. Don't send it by email!!! I will try and find the information I found online in a day or two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

Sounds like good advice, thanks. Problem is, I'm too broke to afford a second phone line. All I have is a landline and no cell phone.

I guess it wouldn't work if it's all from the same phone number? Or if I blocked my number, they might not take the call?

Times like this make me really wish I had LOCAL friends or family. Everyone I've ever known has scattered to different states and provinces.

Do you think it's critical for me to invest in a cell phone for my job search? I've looked, but they are so expensive. I think I have a very old 'Tracfone' somewhere, from about 1999. It doesn't work and I can't even figure out how to use it. Whatever phone plan I had is long gone.

I know that not having a cell phone (especially a SmartPhone) is a hindrance. I don't even know how to 'download an app". My tech skills are stuck somewhere in the 1990s.

I've been ill for so long and haven't had the money for a cell phone. Even if I got a cell phone (esp. a SmartPhone), I wouldn't really know how to use it. I once tried to use my neighbor's iPhone and I felt like an idiot! It was a 'SmartPhone', password protected, so it really was almost impossible to use on my own.

Thanks so much for any advice! Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

Eva 14 in San Francisco, California said: Sounds like good advice, thanks. Problem is, I'm too broke to afford a second phone line. All I have is a landline and no cell phone.

I guess it wouldn't work if it's all from the same phone number? Or if I blocked my number, they might not take the call?

Times like this make me really wish I had LOCAL friends or family. Everyone I've ever known has scattered to different states and provinces.

Do you think it's critical for me to invest in a cell phone for my job search? I've looked, but they are so expensive. I think I have a very old 'Tracfone' somewhere, from about 1999. It doesn't work and I can't even figure out how to use it. Whatever phone plan I had is long gone.

I know that not having a cell phone (especially a SmartPhone) is a hindrance. I don't even know how to 'download an app". My tech skills are stuck somewhere in the 1990s.

I've been ill for so long and haven't had the money for a cell phone. Even if I got a cell phone (esp. a SmartPhone), I wouldn't really know how to use it. I once tried to use my neighbor's iPhone and I felt like an idiot! It was a 'SmartPhone', password protected, so it really was almost impossible to use on my own.

Thanks so much for any advice! Good luck to you!

Block your number the first time you call then. If its a company the receptionist will still have to pick it up that's her job. Then you don't have to get a second number for your call back. Lots of businesses get private unknown calls everyday.

1 month ago

You probably don't want a long term contract phone with the big carriers. I would look into a prepaid cell phone. Then I guess it depends on how much you use the phone. Personally I rarely ever use mine. Mainly now just for job hunting. I don't call people up or text anybody so it's not a problem for me. I buy a prepaid card for $25 to add to my balance every three months to keep it renewed. I don't call much so it works for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

It's just paranoia to think that they're going to block your number because you called to ask for the HR person's name.

As for needing a cellphone... I don't have one and don't feel that I need one. My landline phone with answering machine does the job.

Of course, I still don't have a job :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EndlessJoy in Atlanta, Georgia

1 month ago

Also check to see if there are any physical job networking groups you can attend. Try jobseekers.org to see if they might have a group in your area.

Getting up to take a shower and exercising even a bit might improve your mood and revitalize you.

Try adding some fruit/vegetables to your pasta meal. Check out some of the churches in your area for a food pantry.

As for the friends, some of the avoidance on their part might be unintentional b/c they don't know what else to say either and they feel kind of awkward asking the same old questions about your job search.
Take it one day at a time. And don't be so hard on yourself. Most important is to get plenty of sleep.
"It's vain to rise up early and go to bed late, eating the bread of sorrows."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker1927 in Anytown

1 month ago

When I recently looked into Manpower.com, I found that the branch nearest me, wasn't there anymore. They'd moved about 25 miles west. I called the number for that particular branch, (I got it off their website) and only got a voicemail. I left a message, but never got a response. I've applied to at least 2 jobs that were posted on their site, but have yet to hear back. (I'm NOT holding my breath waiting. :-( )

1 month ago

Razgriz in Anchorage, Alaska said: Kind of hard. Just try to find something you enjoy and do it and try as best you can to ignore the rest. Nothing you can really do about it except what you're already doing. Filling out applications, sending in resumes, etc. I know it's hard to stay positive. I feel as you do, except I do get up and shower and try to do my part but every morning is a struggle to just get up after you been through the whole process a thousand times before. Everything I used to take pleasure from, reading, tv, sports just kind of numbs me since I'm constantly in a state of anxiety now. Honestly really don't know what to say and people who haven't gone though it can't help either as they always just give you the same old advice of "you tried looking at x place, or doing y?" Of course I have, I done everything. Err yea, sorry to go on a little rant.

Today I took my cover letter and resume and applied in person for a posted job I found online. I asked to speak with the manager and we had a 2 hour interview!!!! The place in 3 minute drive from my house. I think he liked me and he gave me his card. Should find out by Wednesday next week. The pay isn't amazing but I can make some commission and get a uniform/dental/drug benefits. This job would allow me to experience then I could relocate in 2 years and make more money. Would be happy just to have regular money coming in at this point.

1 month ago

LeeAnn, that sounds wonderful! I really hope you get the job!

The going 'in person' thing must be key. But every time I show up somewhere in person I'm told to 'go to the website'.

I'm going to follow the helpful advice that you gave me to try to avoid going thru the website and try to get the name of the hiring manager.

One important question: When I call and ask the receptionist for the NAME of the hiring manager, will she/he really give me that info? Or will I be asked, "Why do you want to know?" Do I say, "Because I'm interested in a job?" Or something else?

Don't companies have several different hiring managers, like maybe someone at the national level, then others at the state level, and then finally at the city/local level? I'm sure it's key to get the name of the LOCAL person. I just want to make sure I do this the proper way and don't annoy or alienate anyone.

Thanks and good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

Eva, You may be able to find a hiring manager's name on a company's website. They may have contact info for senior staff, or email addresses on their Careers page, or names in their news articles.

Another way you can determine who's responsible for hiring is to look at job postings on LinkedIn. I just looked at ten job postings for the 94109 Zip Code. Most of them list who posted the job, and none of them are the "hiring manager:"

1) Senior Recruiter
2) VP, Research & Engineering
3) not listed
4) Recruiter - Contract
5) Head of Talent Acquisition
6) Talent & Org Development
7) IT Recruiter
8) not listed
9) not listed
10) Sales Manager

All ten of these companies probably have an HR department, but if you want to have a useful conversation about a specific job, you'd have to find the Head of Talent Acquisition, or IT Recruiter, or whoever. Now, these jobs are all fairly high level... they aren't admin assistants, sales clerks, or CSRs. But they aren't VPs or Sales Managers, either.

youdontkillmoney in Los Angeles, California

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Kitchener, Ontario said: I went to 3 interviews in one week. That weekend I stayed in bed the whole time. Went to my doctor and she gave me 6 weeks worth of Cymbalta (anti-depressant). This week I didn't even shower for 4 days!!! How do you stay positive and keep going? I only eat once a day now and it's usually pasta. I can't even afford gas now to go to an interview.

^^^^
Just go interview and do your best, then stop caring. Repeat. One day when you care the least, you get the offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

Andromeda, thanks so much for your help.

It does indeed seem very complicated. I'm afraid that the 'hiring managers' may be deluged with resumes. I'm not quite sure how one acquires their phone number or what the response would be if I called such a person.

These hiring managers would probably be annoyed and tersely tell me, "Go to the website to apply for a job".

People are especially stressed-out in the S.F. Bay Area, tech capital of the world. Even the lowest level employees at drugstores or movie theaters sometimes give me a glare when I politely tell them I'm interested in a job there. Their smile turns into a frown, and then they usually give me a 'once over' and look down at my shoes, seeing that they are a bit worn out, I guess. Tell me 'go to the website' and basically are wishing me to leave them alone (my impression, at least).

When I walk into a store, they are all smiles, thinking I'm some rich lady who wants to spend money there. I do try to look professional. I have one designer handbag and a diamond ring that I carry and wear daily. At least if I'm well-dressed they won't think I'm homeless or crazy. We have a lot of that in S.F.

People in S.F. Bay Area are not very friendly, as a rule. They are stressed to the max, because the rents and housing prices here are the highest in the nation. Unless you are a computer genius, you're going to have one heck of a time trying to get ANY job here. But I guess the job market is bad in ALL of the USA, and Canada.

Thanks for trying to help. I feel like a rat caught in a maze that I'll never be able to escape from, LOL. NO wonder they call it the 'rat race'. Everything is SO complex these days, and I feel like I just can't figure it out. Maybe I'll learn some 'secrets' on this forum. It IS helpful just to be able to vent to others who are as desperate as I am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

Eva 14 in San Francisco, California said: LeeAnn, that sounds wonderful! I really hope you get the job!

The going 'in person' thing must be key. But every time I show up somewhere in person I'm told to 'go to the website'.

I'm going to follow the helpful advice that you gave me to try to avoid going thru the website and try to get the name of the hiring manager.

One important question: When I call and ask the receptionist for the NAME of the hiring manager, will she/he really give me that info? Or will I be asked, "Why do you want to know?" Do I say, "Because I'm interested in a job?" Or something else?

Don't companies have several different hiring managers, like maybe someone at the national level, then others at the state level, and then finally at the city/local level? I'm sure it's key to get the name of the LOCAL person. I just want to make sure I do this the proper way and don't annoy or alienate anyone.

Thanks and good luck to you!

Thanks Eva, Well as far as the receptionist goes, she probably takes lunch between 12pm-1pm, so someone else covers here break so maybe try calling then. This guy was impressed that I actually walked in and gave him my cover/letter because NO ONE DOES THAT ANY MORE NOW !!! What kind of job are you trying to get?

joe in Monticello, New York

1 month ago

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio said: Job-hunting rejection really hurts. Whether it's leaving an interview that didn't go well, receiving yet another rejection letter, or getting no response to your applications, it's drop-by-drop water torture, or death from a thousand cuts.

To keep your sanity, I think you've got to find things that are outside yourself and completely not a part of that process. For me it's walking in the woods, riding fast and hard on my bicycle, or going out at night to look at stars and lightning bugs. For someone else, it might be knitting, cooking, volunteering, going to live music shows... whatever works to exercise your mind and/or body, and pull your thoughts away from the job hunt.

walking in the woods??? real fun!

i think the worst part of job hunting is not so much the rejection for me. it's not finding anything to apply to day after day after day after day day in and day out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Woodstock, Ontario said: Thanks Eva, Well as far as the receptionist goes, she probably takes lunch between 12pm-1pm, so someone else covers here break so maybe try calling then. This guy was impressed that I actually walked in and gave him my cover/letter because NO ONE DOES THAT ANY MORE NOW !!! What kind of job are you trying to get?

Just let me know what type of job your looking for if you want you can email me leeann8866@gmail.com maybe I can help you. If you cant get the information I might be able to help.

1 month ago

joe in Monticello, New York said: walking in the woods??? real fun!

i think the worst part of job hunting is not so much the rejection for me. it's not finding anything to apply to day after day after day after day day in and day out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is only so many jobs you can apply for before you just start applying for the same things over and over again.

As for the calling, going in person thing. I never know what to do anymore. I tried each way at different places. Some want you do to that, through not many. Others actually hate when you do that and follow up so now I don't know what to do. I think to myself should I follow up or not, will this hurt or help my chances and it's just all so stressful.

1 month ago

joe in Monticello, New York said: walking in the woods??? real fun!

What type of job are you looking for?

1 month ago

Razgriz in Anchorage, Alaska said: There is only so many jobs you can apply for before you just start applying for the same things over and over again.

As for the calling, going in person thing. I never know what to do anymore. I tried each way at different places. Some want you do to that, through not many. Others actually hate when you do that and follow up so now I don't know what to do. I think to myself should I follow up or not, will this hurt or help my chances and it's just all so stressful.

What kind of work are you looking for???

1 month ago

Pretty much any job at this point. Graduated college 3 years ago, first in my family too. My family grew up poor that I honestly don't know how we even made it. Was fed the BS about how a degree is good and open doors but for me that hasn't really been the case or else I wouldn't be unemployed here still. While isn't a STEM, I did have a goal in mind when I chose my major but I just become disillusion with it through the year and it just hasn't worked out for me at all.

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Woodstock, Ontario said: Just let me know what type of job your looking for if you want you can email me leeann8866@gmail.com maybe I can help you. If you cant get the information I might be able to help.

Not to be an a-hole, but how can you help? Your bio says you are unemployed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

I did something unusual yesterday... filled out an application in person, putting pen to paper. For a part-time job at a small rural library. All the way home I wondered if my sloppy handwriting would cause an immediate rejection (never mind the being overqualified thing).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in Monticello, New York

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Woodstock, Ontario said: What type of job are you looking for?

I'm in Sales.

Some management also.

I'd love to find something like a blue collar type job with a good company and good people though. Something different than Sales but companies today don't want to train they want specific experience for the most part.

1 month ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Not to be an a-hole, but how can you help? Your bio says you are unemployed.

I'm good at research skills etc. I have had 6 interviews in the last 3 weeks now. Just had one yesterday too. I was screwing up my interviews and I didn't realize it. There are lots of amazing people posting on here and were all in the same boat. When your unemployed you get really depressed and desperate. It helps to ask for advice and maybe get a second point of view. After my first post, I realized I wasn't alone in this and it really helped me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

joe in Monticello, New York said: I'm in Sales.

Some management also.

I'd love to find something like a blue collar type job with a good company and good people though. Something different than Sales but companies today don't want to train they want specific experience for the most part.

If your good at sales have you thought about applying for a position at a car dealership. They will train you and you can eventually go into a Finance Manager position there. You can make lots of $$$$ in those positions. Check out Grant Cardone on You Tube. Worth a shot - just walk into a dealership with your resume and speak with the sales manager. They will even give you a demo to drive or a car allowance. You can make $100,000 a year if your good.

BetterLuck in Gansevoort, New York

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Kitchener, Ontario said: I went to 3 interviews in one week. That weekend I stayed in bed the whole time. Went to my doctor and she gave me 6 weeks worth of Cymbalta (anti-depressant). This week I didn't even shower for 4 days!!! How do you stay positive and keep going? I only eat once a day now and it's usually pasta. I can't even afford gas now to go to an interview.

Wow. You just wrote the story of my unemployed life.

BetterLuck in Gansevoort, New York

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Woodstock, Ontario said: I'm good at research skills etc. I have had 6 interviews in the last 3 weeks now. Just had one yesterday too. I was screwing up my interviews and I didn't realize it. There are lots of amazing people posting on here and were all in the same boat. When your unemployed you get really depressed and desperate. It helps to ask for advice and maybe get a second point of view. After my first post, I realized I wasn't alone in this and it really helped me.

I have scored many interviews, too. I worry that my shreaded confidence does me in during the interview(s).

1 month ago

BetterLuck in Gansevoort, New York said: Wow. You just wrote the story of my unemployed life.

Yah it sucks!!!! Never thought things could ever get this bad. At least I have learned I can survive on $15 a week for food (although I feel like crap). I drink tea and water and only eat pasta. Sometimes I get a box with white cheddar in it for 77 cents and my daughter and I split it. I would kill for a T bone steak dinner, baked potato, vegetables, glass of red wine and some cherry cheesecake for dessert.

Just Me in Round Rock, Texas

1 month ago

I have 2 interviews this week and am not counting on it. One job they were interviewing many so....I get my days too where I can't get out of bed and have lost weight. Am scared I'll never find anything. People who are employed don't understand so I don't like talking to them about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leeann66 in Breaking the Rules, Ontario

1 month ago

Just Me in Round Rock, Texas said: I have 2 interviews this week and am not counting on it. One job they were interviewing many so....I get my days too where I can't get out of bed and have lost weight. Am scared I'll never find anything. People who are employed don't understand so I don't like talking to them about it.

If you have 2 interviews this week, your doing good!! Don't go into them being negative. Smile, fake it, ask questions about the company, tell them how great you are. Seem genuinely interested(even if your not)about the position. I think HR/Hiring Managers can pick up on our - fear/insecurities/low-self esteem. If you were the one making the decision, who would you rather hire? Someone who seems depressed, insecure and has no self-confidence OR someone who is positive, confident and enthusiastic? It's not really an interview, IT'S AN AUDITION!!!! Give them an Academy Award performance, go for the Oscar!!

1 month ago

LeeAnn, you're right about the interview being like an audition. We have to be happy, upbeat, interested, confident---even if we feel depressed and discouraged on the inside.

I think maybe I could manage that 'Academy Award' performance for the duration of the interview, but what about after that? Personally, I'm in such severe chronic physical pain that it's very hard for me to 'fake it' for more than about 30 minutes or so.

If by some miracle I did get the job, I know I'd never be able to 'fake it' for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. People who spend more than a half hour hanging out with me can tell that there's something seriously wrong with me. It's hard to constantly be in a good mood when I feel like someone is hammering nails into my head (severe migraines).

But hopefully others who are healthy can figure out ways to boost their self-confidence. It was 1000 times easier back before I went into severe chronic pain. Good luck to you and everyone else!

1 month ago

Eva 14 in San Francisco, California said: LeeAnn, you're right about the interview being like an audition. We have to be happy, upbeat, interested, confident---even if we feel depressed and discouraged on the inside.

I think maybe I could manage that 'Academy Award' performance for the duration of the interview, but what about after that? Personally, I'm in such severe chronic physical pain that it's very hard for me to 'fake it' for more than about 30 minutes or so.

If by some miracle I did get the job, I know I'd never be able to 'fake it' for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. People who spend more than a half hour hanging out with me can tell that there's something seriously wrong with me. It's hard to constantly be in a good mood when I feel like someone is hammering nails into my head (severe migraines).

But hopefully others who are healthy can figure out ways to boost their self-confidence. It was 1000 times easier back before I went into severe chronic pain. Good luck to you and everyone else!

I was talking to a career coach last Thursday, she made me look of it that way.

There has to be something you can do for migraines. It's too bad you cant get the 222's with codeine. My mom has been taking them for at least 40 years now, she gets migraines too. I wonder if someone could ship them to you?

Just Me in Round Rock, Texas

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Breaking the Rules, Ontario said: If you have 2 interviews this week, your doing good!! Don't go into them being negative. Smile, fake it, ask questions about the company, tell them how great you are. Seem genuinely interested(even if your not)about the position. I think HR/Hiring Managers can pick up on our - fear/insecurities/low-self esteem. If you were the one making the decision, who would you rather hire? Someone who seems depressed, insecure and has no self-confidence OR someone who is positive, confident and enthusiastic? It's not really an interview, IT'S AN AUDITION!!!! Give them an Academy Award performance, go for the Oscar!!

Thank you for the good advice. I have a phone interview Friday morning and will spend the day tomorrow practicing for that one. I'm going for the Oscar lol. The interview I went on was strange today, they wouldn't move on until I said the answer and they even gave me the answer. So I need practice.

1 month ago

Leeann66 in Breaking the Rules, Ontario said: I was talking to a career coach last Thursday, she made me look of it that way.

There has to be something you can do for migraines. It's too bad you cant get the 222's with codeine. My mom has been taking them for at least 40 years now, she gets migraines too. I wonder if someone could ship them to you?

I actually am able to get adequate meds for my chronic migraine pain, so that's not a problem. Problem is I'm still in lots of pain even with the meds. Thanks for the offer, though!

1 month ago

Eva 14 in San Francisco, California said: I actually am able to get adequate meds for my chronic migraine pain, so that's not a problem. Problem is I'm still in lots of pain even with the meds. Thanks for the offer, though!

That sucks. Have you had a CT Scan or MRI in the last few years ?

1 month ago

Thanks. I have had CT and MRI recently. It showed nothing; migraine doesn't show up on the tests. The pain is so severe sometimes I wonder if it isn't a brain tumor or something else very nasty that just isn't showing up on the scans. Diagnosed with breast cancer a few back---was so shocked! I hope the cancer hasn't metastasized to my brain. But I guess that might solve my financial problems. :( Have had severe migraines for 25 yrs., though. Guess if it was a brain tumor I'd be dead by now.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.