How do you aim for jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Jobseeker in Concord, California

20 months ago

when whatever you experience, kills your self-confidence? From being passed over (when you actually get the interview, which you're lucky to even get), to not even hearing back IF you apply. All that negative stuff, only makes a person feel incredibly inadequate, to the point where it's hard to even CONSIDER applying.

What's a person to do, when the world only seems to only want you for free (as in volunteering somewhere), while you've got bills to pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

20 months ago

I have no answers for you but I do feel your pain. I have found that after being rejected repeatedly and feeling pretty beat up, I go into interviews a lot less nervous. Perhaps eventually it will work in my favor.

20 months ago

It's gotten to the point where I don't even feel the incentive to apply, figuring nothing will come of it anyway. Why bother, when it doesn't accomplish anything? :-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

20 months ago

Jobseeker in Concord, California said: It's gotten to the point where I don't even feel the incentive to apply, figuring nothing will come of it anyway. Why bother, when it doesn't accomplish anything? :-(

If there are too many required fields I jump ship, unless it's a position in the field of my graduate degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

20 months ago

Been unemployed for 2 years. I use to sit ALL day 5 days a week and a few hours on Sat and Sun looking on the internet for jobs to apply to. Over the last 3 months I've been so burnt out I just look a few hours everyday. Clinically I probably could be classified now as at least mildly depressed.

I thought when I got laid off this was the time to get a great job. Boy was I wrong. Good luck finding one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in San Antonio, Texas

20 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Been unemployed for 2 years. I use to sit ALL day 5 days a week and a few hours on Sat and Sun looking on the internet for jobs to apply to. Over the last 3 months I've been so burnt out I just look a few hours everyday. Clinically I probably could be classified now as at least mildly depressed.

I thought when I got laid off this was the time to get a great job. Boy was I wrong. Good luck finding one.

THIS is me too! Only I have been unemployed longer. I remember applying for over 400 jobs in a six month period and getting only one interview. I was applying to any and every job I could. I was in desperate need for a job, any job. No opportunities have presented themselves. My desperation has turned into acceptance. Being unemployed is my new normal. As time passes I spend on average about 3 hours a day applying for jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Missy in San Antonio, Texas said: THIS is me too! Only I have been unemployed longer. I remember applying for over 400 jobs in a six month period and getting only one interview. I was applying to any and every job I could. I was in desperate need for a job, any job. No opportunities have presented themselves. My desperation has turned into acceptance. Being unemployed is my new normal. As time passes I spend on average about 3 hours a day applying for jobs.

Wow! Maybe we should meet for coffee? :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in San Antonio, Texas

20 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Wow! Maybe we should meet for coffee? :)

Always good to commiserate with a kindred spirit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

20 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Been unemployed for 2 years. I use to sit ALL day 5 days a week and a few hours on Sat and Sun looking on the internet for jobs to apply to. Over the last 3 months I've been so burnt out I just look a few hours everyday. Clinically I probably could be classified now as at least mildly depressed.

I could have wrote this...sounds identical to my last two years... =,(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Don't you folks have those "voices from your past" barking at you to "Get off your butt! You should be out there job hunting!"? I (reluctantly) hear them every weekday. I sometimes wonder how those folks would deal with the era we're now in. This is uncharted territory in my opinion. Never before, have employers been so unnecessarily fussy about who they hire and how they scrutinize them. When I was that fussy as a child, my mom would annoyedly say, (about whatever it was I was having a hard time choosing) "Then I guess you don't really want it after all do you! :-(", and she'd take whatever it was away. I wish I could discipline those hiring managers, the way mom disciplined me back then. Teach them not to be so spoiled in what they do.

20 months ago

Jobseeker in Concord, California said: Don't you folks have those "voices from your past" barking at you to "Get off your butt! You should be out there job hunting!"? I (reluctantly) hear them every weekday. I sometimes wonder how those folks would deal with the era we're now in. This is uncharted territory in my opinion. Never before, have employers been so unnecessarily fussy about who they hire and how they scrutinize them. When I was that fussy as a child, my mom would annoyedly say, (about whatever it was I was having a hard time choosing) "Then I guess you don't really want it after all do you! :-(", and she'd take whatever it was away. I wish I could discipline those hiring managers, the way mom disciplined me back then. Teach them not to be so spoiled in what they do.

My "voice from the past" is "come on get up, brush yourself off, you're okay, get back out there"! I've tried this over and over again with rejection after another from my job searches/interviews and now I have a hard time brushing myself off and getting back up to try yet again... =|

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

I can sooooooo relate to the "hard time" part of that. It truly does get old after a short time. When are they going to realize we've had more than we can take? Or do they care? Spoiled buggers. :-(

20 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: My "voice from the past" is "come on get up, brush yourself off, you're okay, get back out there"! I've tried this over and over again with rejection after another from my job searches/interviews and now I have a hard time brushing myself off and getting back up to try yet again... =|

The one thing I like about you Cat is that you have an admirable trait that most people lack. It's called class. You have class. From your postings on here I can tell that.

Your writings aren't filled with outrageous, sexual-filled, and mean-spirited words. I admire that.

Maybe that will rub off on me eventually. Don't beat yourself up.

Oh, I almost forgot. (&&)--__

20 months ago

Jobseeker in Concord, California said: Don't you folks have those "voices from your past" barking at you to "Get off your butt! You should be out there job hunting!"? I (reluctantly) hear them every weekday. I sometimes wonder how those folks would deal with the era we're now in. This is uncharted territory in my opinion. Never before, have employers been so unnecessarily fussy about who they hire and how they scrutinize them.

Donna Cornell is a retired HeadHunter where I live. Highly successful and made millions doing so. Very nice lady.

She tells the story of being broke, having 3 kids, just left an abusive boyfriend, down to her last dollar, and a broken down car where she had to use rope to keep the driver side door closed. She's in her sixties now. Very nice lady.

She needed a job so she went to an agency. The phone was ringing and no one was answering it. She said, "Someone should answer the phone guys." The owner of the agency said to her, "You're hired!" Eventually she bought that agency and made it successful.

What I'm trying to say is that in today's world that would never happen. The long list of requirements and tests and references, etc etc etc to get a job prevents so many from getting that chance.

Here's the kicker:

Right after graduating college I went to her agency to see if they could help me get an accounting job. I had a 4 yr degree from a great college, solid references, etc. I met with Donna. She couldn't help me. And I like to say again that she was a lovely lady. But I lacked any kind of experience she said.

My point is here's a lady who was given a break and 25 years later Joe Schmo with a degree (which I'm not sure if she has one or not) isn't given a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: The one thing I like about you Cat is that you have an admirable trait that most people lack. It's called class. You have class. From your postings on here I can tell that.

Your writings aren't filled with outrageous, sexual-filled, and mean-spirited words. I admire that.

Maybe that will rub off on me eventually. Don't beat yourself up.

Oh, I almost forgot. (&&)--__

Thanks Joe...That made my day! =)

Hope you hear soon from your Flight Attendant *-))

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

20 months ago

Joe,

The difference was she was hird to answer phones, you would be an accountant that needed experience to land a job.

Sometimes in life you don't get the break you deserve.

20 months ago

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas said: Joe,

The difference was she was hird to answer phones, you would be an accountant that needed experience to land a job.

Sometimes in life you don't get the break you deserve.

I don't know exactly what she was hired to do. Point is in today's environment to even be a receptionist they would require MS Office, 2 years exp answering phones, references, and 3 interviews with behav quests, and I forgot the personality test.

Understand Magoo?

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

20 months ago

Don't worry. You will find a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Thanks for the support Beth.

BTW, I wouldn't mind given you a good spanking Beth.

Have a nice night.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida

20 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Thanks for the support Beth.

BTW, I wouldn't mind given you a good spanking Beth.

Have a nice night.

I thought she was dating someone

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.