What do you do when you have combed through the job listings of the day?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 70)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Jolly in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

Everyone has hobbies or fun things that they do to keep sane and keep the stress down a little. For me, I have been going to the swimming pool to cool off during these 90+ days. Tonight will start the Bachelor Pad, so that will be something as well as the Olympics coming up this weekend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

I don't read them daily because there aren't enough ads to wade through daily. I used to look twice a week. At this point, I'm looking once a week. At once a week, I can go through the 4-5 sites I use in less than an hour. If I'm submitting resumes or apps, it's obviously longer. Two weeks ago I spent about three hours on it altogether. I'd say I average 1-3 hours a week on perusing job sites and submitting resumes/apps. There just aren't any jobs to which I can apply legitimately here.

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

In between my job listing search I am refreshing my knowledge of existing skills and learning new ones. All of this involves Microsoft technologies. There are a lot of great free tutorials and videos online. Also trial versions of most applications can be downloaded. I'm currently studying Active Directory and want to study network administration next. What guides me is if I see a job where I meet 9 out of 10 qualifications. I don't want anything to stop me from getting a job. I want to know 10 out of 10 of the required skills. By doing this at least I am not wasting my time and hopefully in the end will make a higher salary. At night I usually play chess or watch a movie on netflix. My worst feeling is if I go a day without finding a job to apply for but that is most days. I'd say I have been finding 2 jobs a week worth applying for. And probably 1 a month I actually would like to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

29 months ago

I started going swimming and I love it. Probably the best excercise one can do. And, ALOT of ping pong. The spin I can put on that little ball is amazing. Throw in some movies and that's pretty much it.

However, all in all it is very draining looking for work, both emotionally and physically. That is why you do need to find your sense of humor during these times. Also, I almost forgot, I spank the monkey much more nowadays.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

29 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I started going swimming and I love it. Probably the best excercise one can do. And, ALOT of ping pong. The spin I can put on that little ball is amazing. Throw in some movies and that's pretty much it.

Found a place to buy a Water Ping Pong table.. only $99 !
www.coolmarriedguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/water-ping-pong.jpg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

LOL! They actually have water ping pong afterall.

And I was laughing at you awhile back. I'm so sorry.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

29 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Also, I almost forgot, I spank the monkey much more nowadays.

You can afford a monkey and feed it? What does the poor thing do to deserve so much spanking?? :))

29 months ago

Yea I can afford one. Even though he acts up alot I'm attached to him now.

John,

You need to answer the question above now. What do you do between job searching to keep sane?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

29 months ago

My schedule is a lot like the Grinch's:

Four o'clock, wallow in self pity; 4:30, stare into the abyss; 5:00, solve world hunger, tell no one. 5:30, jazzercize. 6:30, dinner with me. I can't cancel that again. 7:00, wrestle with my self-loathing.

I'm booked!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

(Oh I also spend an inordinate amount of time watching TV series and movies, in case it isn't obvious. I'm like a younger, less hairy Robin Williams. I totally understand what it's like to use a reference in a joke that nobody gets, because I'm the only one who saw that movie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said:
John,

You need to answer the question above now. What do you do between job searching to keep sane?

Keep sane.... let me re-frame..... sane was a lost cause many years ago.... so let us try for not slipping over the edge into being a comatose, slobbering blob in a jacket that makes me hug myself, confined in a small rubber room......

Job searches typically take less than 15 minutes a day since there are simply no jobs which I remotely am interested in/ qualify for.

So, I spend quite a bit of time on the internet looking at a few forums and discussion groups. Volunteer 2-3 days a week at local museums. Tuesday and Thursday are the typical days, but I went to one of the museums today to chat with a couple of the guys and wound up helping out with a couple projects. Glad I went. Intelligent, good folks who have interesting things to say.

Other times are spent watching tv. News and as many repeats as I can handle. Also a couple movies a week. Nick, I am open to suggestions on good movies/ series as I suspect we have a similar taste.

29 months ago

This is what was on my Netflix for the last few months, anyway ;)

The Tudors: Series
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Shield: Series
The Wire: Series
Battle Royale
Fright Night (terrible movie)
Children of Men
Following
The Whistleblower
12 Monkeys
The Devil's Double
Goon
Justified: Series
Take Shelter
The Next Three Days
The Descendants
The French Connection
Tangled (shut up)
Hugo
The Color of Money
The Great Escape
Howl's Moving Castle
Boardwalk Empire (series)

29 months ago

Seen some of the movies/ started some of the series, definitely have a similar taste. Here's a suggestion for you: Five days to Midnight. It is a mini-series I started, looks promising. "Life on Mars" may be another one for you.

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I started going swimming and I love it. Probably the best excercise one can do. And, ALOT of ping pong. The spin I can put on that little ball is amazing. Throw in some movies and that's pretty much it.

However, all in all it is very draining looking for work, both emotionally and physically. That is why you do need to find your sense of humor during these times. Also, I almost forgot, I spank the monkey much more nowadays.

Stop that! Stop that this instant! Do you want to go blind!

29 months ago

I heard he has very thick glasses..... does that mean something?

29 months ago

Actually reading my Netflix cue from the last year or so makes me think that perhaps I should share it with a therapist....whenever I can actually afford a therapist again. ;)

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York

29 months ago

I love taking walks in the mornings before it gets too hot out. Go to the library read the newspapers & magazines, check news online. Looking forward to the swimming events next week. Will Phelps achieve Olympic greatness? He only needs 3 medals of any color to be the most decorated Olympian in the world. He has 7 events, 3 are relays. Yes he will achieve it. All gold? Not so sure, Ryan Lochte from the USA is swimming the 200 & 400 IM so that will be very close race. Hopefully Gold & Silver but don't know what the other countries will have.

29 months ago

We can play therapist for a day or three.... please tell some of those other movies.....

BTW, just saw "Dream House", starts off slow, takes a couple interesting twists....

29 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Stop that! Stop that this instant! Do you want to go blind!

My mother says that exact same thing.:)

(Enough! We should be acting like serious and depressed unemployed people. No more fun.)

29 months ago

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York said: I Will ** achieve Olympic greatness?

Since the young swimmer is from Baltimore, when he won all those golds at one time, that was ALL the news could talk about, Nothing else existed in the whole wild world. Hence, I got So very tired of hearing his name, it is not mentioned in this house. (No offense to his achievement, just still can't say the name)

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

Hugo received 5 academy awards and was a great movie. Saw if for free when the library showed it on family night, enjoyed it!

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

Kim in Chicago, Illinois said: Hugo received 5 academy awards and was a great movie. Saw if for free when the library showed it on family night, enjoyed it!

I liked that one too! The sets were stunning!

NOYB in Saint Louis, Missouri

29 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I was channeling my mother. Oh and if you are a male and after urinating, you shake it more then twice, its a sin. Heh!

Its like Lake of Fire for you, you wanker! LOL!

Shake it once that's fine Shake it twice that's okay Shake it three times your playing with yourself...
The Anthem-by Good Charlotte :)

Sorry couldn't resist!

29 months ago

I barely even watch TV anymore. I'm ready to toss my TV (it's nine years old and is basically dead anyway) and get rid of my satellite TV. The problem is I pay $17/month to Direct TV (they are HORRIFIC because of their insane channel numbering system and TONS of infomercial channels) and $32/month automatically in my condo assessment (condo will be gone soon ;D). By the way, as to TVs, I'd never recommend spending a lot of money on one. They simply DO NOT last anymore. The days of the 25-year-old TV are long gone.

I find it interesting that most people don't spend much time daily looking at job sites. This jibes with my own experience. Since you can't really go knocking on doors to get jobs anymore, how the hell are we supposed to get jobs if there are none online? I'm serious. I'm at wit's end right now.

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

It is the economy. People are in no mood to spend to bring consumer spending up because they are not working or are making less than in the job they lost a few years back. Look at mortgage rates soo low and for sale signs linger on for months without a bite. I wonder what will happen when people have spent their last penny of the 401k retirement account at age 35 when they put very little into it by that age. I sure hope that we do not double dip and it will be longer and deeper. I wish this downturn would end, I wake up wondering what am I suppose to do today to change things, and lately see ads by agencies what are a waste to look at.

29 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said:

I find it interesting that most people don't spend much time daily looking at job sites. This jibes with my own experience. Since you can't really go knocking on doors to get jobs anymore, how the hell are we supposed to get jobs if there are none online? I'm serious. I'm at wit's end right now.

Word of mouth perhaps is where people hear of some jobs (when even more jobs aren't being lost). I have been at my wit's end for years now, have no clue where to turn or what to do..... There is quite a bit of frustration going on, I'm quietly waiting for the revolution to start when enough people just can't "do it" (no job/ low paying jobs that won't cover the bills) any more.......

29 months ago

I really mean I'm at wit's end.

Savings? Almost entirely gone.

401K? Gone.

Car? Gone.

Condo? About to be gone one way or another, and I still have equity in it. If I can't get this equity out and lose the last of everything, yeah. I'll just stop right there.

Nobody is going to hire me with this gap. Nobody. Not online. Not in person. I wear a "G" around my neck and am automatically branded immediately by all employers wherever I go. There's just no way out. And I'm educated, somewhat intelligent and was at my last job for NINE YEARS. These things mean nothing anymore.

29 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: I really mean I'm at wit's end.

Yes. I know. Been there for years, trust me. Yelling at people who are trying to help. Pissed off beyond comprehension. I am serious when I wonder out loud how I am not a comatose quivering blob in a rubber room.

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

29 months ago

What do I do or should it be what should I be doing? lol

I spend too much time on the internet. I ride a lot of bike or go for walks. I see live music when I can. Just aged myself the other day when I told a 20-something that I was going to go see Cinderella at the county fair. He said "The movie or the musical?" I said "No, the '80s band."

I sit on my deck or work in the yard. Sometimes I read a book, but not very often. Sometimes I doodle, but need to get back to doing art again. I go to car shows, bike nights and art fairs. Whatever I can find that's free or cheap.

I dream about having money and what I will do with it. I dream about having a job in my field. I should be working on more tutorials and software skills. I don't get to that much...yet. Will soon though. That's the plan.

my advice in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

^Have you heard of Etsy? Maybe you can try selling your artwork on there, or offer to do custom work. I have a friend who makes jewelry and sells it on there. Sometimes people ask for custom work and she does that too.

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

my advice in Chicago, Illinois said: ^Have you heard of Etsy? Maybe you can try selling your artwork on there, or offer to do custom work. I have a friend who makes jewelry and sells it on there. Sometimes people ask for custom work and she does that too.

You sound like my neighbor who has a daughter who has friend who makes jewelry out of Cheerios, elbow macaroni and Elmer's glue.

I wonder if people find me just as boring?

my advice in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: You sound like my neighbor who has a daughter who has friend who makes jewelry out of Cheerios, elbow macaroni and Elmer's glue.

I wonder if people find me just as boring?

Is your neighbor's daughter's friend 5 years old? Seriously where else would you make jewelry out of cheerios besides kindergarten?

Lol you should check out that website. It's like Ebay for artsy people. Some people sell their paintings, clothes they made, handmade crafts and jewelry among other crap on there for hundreds of dollars and people actually pay for these items. I suspect most buyers are college students with leftover money from daddy.

Nancy in Nashville, Tennessee

29 months ago

Bee,

How much money do you need to get back on your feet?

29 months ago

Parafreegal,

How big of an unemployment gap do you have?

Joe Gagill in Loch Sheldrake, New York

29 months ago

Nancy in Nashville, Tennessee said: Bee,

I know I'm not Bee. I'm cuter though.

I think about that question a lot.

Personally, at this point I need 45k working for a good company. And, not someplace where I'm working 70 hrs a week making 45.

29 months ago

I'd work at 70 hours a week for 45, just to get the 45. I wouldn't make big plans around the company though.

I can't believe I used to make 62. I have no idea where that money went, but it's been gone for years.

29 months ago

I'd pretty much take minimum wage at this point. I have to. Well, it would depend on the job. I can't see any way I'd get hired in retail or at the Bux. I wouldn't be good with the public en masse. I could see stocking shelves. I couldn't see telemarketing. Seriously, what else is there? If you want to work retail, you have to go online and fill out an app. My psyche is undergoing serious attrition.

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York

29 months ago

Look at the money city workers get. Be a maintenance worker, garbage collector, auto mechanic. See ads for school bus drivers. School for some will be starting in a few weeks.

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

29 months ago

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York said: Look at the money city workers get. Be a maintenance worker, garbage collector, auto mechanic. See ads for school bus drivers. School for some will be starting in a few weeks.

I get this wonderful advice all the time from people that have never been out of work or in my situation.
Since I know they mean well, I can't tell them what I really think so here's what I say..

"Really? Those sound like excellent ideas, THANKS!.. Can you put me in touch with your contact at the City ?"

29 months ago

my advice in Chicago, Illinois said: ^Have you heard of Etsy? Maybe you can try selling your artwork on there, or offer to do custom work. I have a friend who makes jewelry and sells it on there. Sometimes people ask for custom work and she does that too.

I know about Etsy. I have thought about making something to sell, but need to figure out what people will buy. Then I can make a million dollars selling thousands of items.

29 months ago

Nancy in Nashville, Tennessee said: Bee,

Not sure exactly what you mean, but I just need a job that pays decent and doesn't lay me off after 6 months and is full time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Brooklyn Babe in Brooklyn, New York said: See ads for school bus drivers. School for some will be starting in a few weeks.

Not enough alcohol in the world to make me drive a school bus. I'd quit after one day. lol

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin said: Not enough alcohol in the world to make me drive a school bus. I'd quit after one day. lol

I heard that this is a miserable job. You are paid for a few hours in the morning and a few hours in the afternoon. You go home in the middle of the day and are paid nothing for that "dead time.

On top of that they random drug test you and even certain prescription drugs will disqualify you. Then, its like $10.00 an hour.

29 months ago

I was a few short steps away from getting my CDL, before I heard that none of the companies put their truckers up in motels. It either comes out of your wallet, or you sleep in the back of the truck.

I can't imagine going a full 24 hours without a shower, so that's out. =P

Drummer in Hobart, Indiana

29 months ago

They have truck stops like Pilot where they have a restuarant and some have showers, but not all. That is where some of them go to take a shower, they have them along highways in Indiana, not sure if they can sleep there. Even when going to a hotel, you have to make sure that there is parking for a large truck, as some hotels have small parking lots and don't have room.

29 months ago

Don't forget aboy the 'lot lizzards' to want to say hello to you....

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

Nancy in Nashville, Tennessee said: Don't forget aboy the 'lot lizzards' to want to say hello to you....

"Hey handsome, wanna date?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

You got a purty mouth! XD

John in Beltsville, Maryland

29 months ago

I hear banjos! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I was a few short steps away from getting my CDL, before I heard that none of the companies put their truckers up in motels. It either comes out of your wallet, or you sleep in the back of the truck.

I can't imagine going a full 24 hours without a shower, so that's out. =P

Not all truck driving jobs are OTR. There are many where you just drive locally and work fairly normal hours. My husband has been a truck driver for over 20 years. That's what he used to do before his head injury anyway. You don't have to drive just tractor-trailer. There are smaller trucks as well. Local drivers probably don't make as much as OTR drivers, but you can find decent pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.