What does it mean when an employer asks for references?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

frustrated-phd in San Francisco, California

46 months ago

I applied for this job and after having 4 rounds of interviews, I was told that they would make a final decision after interviewing other candidates too. Now that they interviewed all the candidates for this job, they asked me to give them names and numbers of 3 references I had. Does that mean they are more likely to hire me? I hope so. *prays*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Flatulent Elephant in Kent, Washington

46 months ago

It means you are still in the running, maybe the top 3 candidates or whatever, & probably the last step before getting hired (or rejected). Good luck!! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ladyjenn in Rancho Cordova, California

45 months ago

I just had two interviews as well and they asked me for like 7 references, one from each job! It's been two weeks and they are still supposedly interviewing. 7 references? I thought maybe it was a good sign, but now nothing means anything anymore! Good luck and let us know if you get the job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gene in Calgary, Alberta

21 months ago

I can confirm what had been mentioned in one of the previous postings. If your references are getting called, that does not mean you will get the job! I did apply for a job about 5 weeks ago, attended the interview with the hiring manager ( I did really well !) , my references got call from the hiring manager (two of my references gave me glowing references) and still I ended up not getting the job. I got an email today from the hiring manager who said that I was one of four very qualified candidates and she had to go with another candidate whose experience was more suitable for the job. I don’t get it though why she would call my references if I was only “one of four very qualified candidates”.Really really disappointing…as I thought I would get the job, at least I was their top candidate. To rub salt in the wound, I have been asked to give my approval for them to keep my resume on file should another opportunity arise. You comments would be much appreciated…

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lady in London, United Kingdom

12 months ago

Gene in Calgary, Alberta said: I can confirm what had been mentioned in one of the previous postings. If your references are getting called, that does not mean you will get the job! I did apply for a job about 5 weeks ago, attended the interview with the hiring manager ( I did really well !) , my references got call from the hiring manager (two of my references gave me glowing references) and still I ended up not getting the job. I got an email today from the hiring manager who said that I was one of four very qualified candidates and she had to go with another candidate whose experience was more suitable for the job. I don’t get it though why she would call my references if I was only “one of four very qualified candidates”.Really really disappointing…as I thought I would get the job, at least I was their top candidate. To rub salt in the wound, I have been asked to give my approval for them to keep my resume on file should another opportunity arise. You comments would be much appreciated…

Sometimes if you can do the job it helps, but what is more important is whether or not you will fit in with the team and get along with others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

12 months ago

Sadly, there isn't one thing that says you are going to get the job until you are actually there working. Someone here actually filled out the W-4 forms and didn't get the job. I know not to get my hopes up anymore :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Gonzales, Texas

12 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Sadly, there isn't one thing that says you are going to get the job until you are actually there working. Someone here actually filled out the W-4 forms and didn't get the job. (

Me too! Submitted my direct deposit and never got given a start date. It was weeks before they finally got back to me and told me the positions were defunded.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

12 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Gonzales, Texas said: Me too! Submitted my direct deposit and never got given a start date. It was weeks before they finally got back to me and told me the positions were defunded.

Downright cruel in my humble opinion. I am sorry Almost. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Gonzales, Texas

12 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: Downright cruel in my humble opinion. I am sorry Almost. :(

Thanks, UE, but that was some time back. I'm gainfully underemployed these days;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.