How does a single mom of a disabled child work??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (38)

Krystal in Jackson, Mississippi

41 months ago

alpine access work at home

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dragonfly in Garland, Texas

35 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

You should also look into getting hospital indemnity insurance. Hospital indemnity pays you to help you pay for whatever your main health insurance doesn't pay for as well as living expenses. They have both family and individual plans. For example: Mutual of Omaha, Equitable, and Combined Insurance have them. You or your child gets sick, but you still have to pay the bills.

Just Google Hospital Indemnity Insurance and take it from there. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DCc in Fayetteville, Arkansas

34 months ago

I am have a eight year old with severe autism and adhd he is doing very well with his therapies O/T and SP he is also receiving hyperbaric oxygen. I need to go back to work being a single mom. I don't know how to juggle a job and school. I need to go to school for two year's to get a better degree since he cost more than my daughter. He always wants me right there. I get a ssi check for him for 494.00. I really need to go back to work and get so frusterated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jd in Roseville, Michigan

32 months ago

Hi,
I am sorry to hear about what all of you are going through. I found this site trying to figure out what I can do. It's helpful emotionally to see that I am not alone in this.

I have 2 children with health issues. My oldest child has seizures, hullicinations and a processing disorder. She is on medication, but so far has had an allergic reaction to everyone. I am constantly having to go get her from school or keep her home and we are always at one medical facility or another. My youngest child has a genetic disorder that doctors haven't been able to figure out yet. She is barely growing and isn't progressing. once she reached a certain spot in her progression she completely stopped and started to regress. She doesn't speak, just bables, can barely feed herself, she freaks out if someone she doesn't recognize comes near her. Which sadly is her own relatives sometimes. She has good days and bad days, mostly bad. I can't get a job because I practily live at doctors offices, whether it be for a visit or testing. I was let go from my previous job 2 years ago because my oldest was always sick. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make money from home or how to become a caretaker of your own child.

Please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Garland, Texas

32 months ago

jd - check with your state MHMR office to see if your child qualifies for special disability benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

jd in Roseville, Michigan said: Hi,
I am sorry to hear about what all of you are going through. I found this site trying to figure out what I can do. It's helpful emotionally to see that I am not alone in this.

I have 2 children with health issues. My oldest child has seizures, hullicinations and a processing disorder. She is on medication, but so far has had an allergic reaction to everyone. I am constantly having to go get her from school or keep her home and we are always at one medical facility or another. My youngest child has a genetic disorder that doctors haven't been able to figure out yet. She is barely growing and isn't progressing. once she reached a certain spot in her progression she completely stopped and started to regress. She doesn't speak, just bables, can barely feed herself, she freaks out if someone she doesn't recognize comes near her. Which sadly is her own relatives sometimes. She has good days and bad days, mostly bad. I can't get a job because I practily live at doctors offices, whether it be for a visit or testing. I was let go from my previous job 2 years ago because my oldest was always sick. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make money from home or how to become a caretaker of your own child.

Please help!

JD: If you're going to work from home, make sure that you check out these work-at-home jobs before you get involved with them. Many of them are a bunch of scams. Google Legitimate Work-at-Home jobs and just simply check them out.

I know how hard it is to hold a job if you have a sick and/or a disabled child. Like I said, most employers today are still living in the days of June Cleaver and Ozzie and Harriet when it comes to working mothers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Continued

Since you live in Michigan, is there any way that you can get on welfare? Just let them know your situation. Do you have any family members or friends who can help you out? And if you don't mind me asking, do you get any financial support from the father?

Keep us posted as to what's going on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

I do have some family here, but they are not able to help. They are all in there 80's (for the most part). I do receive food and medical from the state. But now my unemployment is ending and jobs keep turning me down because I need at least a couple days a month to get my kids to the Dr's. To top it off I have to borrow relatives cars to get to the Dr's appointments since my car broke down and don't have the finances to fix it. The father does not help out. He disappeared when I was 3 months pregnant. He wasn't safe to be around, especially for my kids. So I prefer it that way.

my advice in Aurora, Illinois

32 months ago

can you work a part-time job with a flexible schedule? i worked in retail for a while and although the pay sucks the company was really lenient with work schedules. most of the people i worked with were either college students or single moms.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

jd in Roseville, Michigan said: I do have some family here, but they are not able to help. They are all in there 80's (for the most part). I do receive food and medical from the state. But now my unemployment is ending and jobs keep turning me down because I need at least a couple days a month to get my kids to the Dr's. To top it off I have to borrow relatives cars to get to the Dr's appointments since my car broke down and don't have the finances to fix it. The father does not help out. He disappeared when I was 3 months pregnant. He wasn't safe to be around, especially for my kids. So I prefer it that way.

I'm sorry to hear that JD. I know how hard it is on you. But I do agree with My Advice. You should try to find a job that has flexible schedules. Just simply let them know your situation. If you're looking for a job, are you looking for either full-time or part-time? And again, if you don't mind me asking, what type of work are you looking for?

I was also going to ask, if you can't afford to fix your car, do you live in an area that is accessible by public transportation?

I hope everything works out for you.

teleseeker in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

You should check out telecommute jobs online. Telecommute is perfect for single moms. searchtelejobs.com/

Nurse1 in Louisville, Kentucky

32 months ago

What ever you do, don't go into a interview telling your future employer all your problems and the situation with health issues. You do however need to find a position that is flexible with work hours. This doesn't help your present situation but when you do land a job there is a program called FMLA. Family medical leave act is a program that protects you from losing your job while allowing time off if you or a family member you are caring for has an illness. Look into this once you are able to obtain employment. In most cases you have to work 500 hours, have 100 or so employees, be under a physicians care etc. however, once you are employed and meet the conditions you will be protected for losing work for taking off. But be careful not to scare a potential employer of for revealing too much info up front. Take a moment to read up on FMLA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kasee in Louisville, Kentucky

31 months ago

I have a 13 year old daughter who is autistic and MR.She has the mentality of an 8 year old and always will.She recieves disabilty and due to that i cant work because it goes on my income.I had to quit a job because I made too much money and was in fear of losing her insurance.We barely make it but I cant afford her medical bills if I go to work.Any suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Have you thought about working with a party company? Or selling things online? This is what I am doing now. I have just started this week, so I am still working to find what works for me. When I worked with the party company my earnings were not reported. So it doesn't go against you. Just a suggestion.

Claudia Chavarria in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

Im so sorry, I totally understand what these parents are going thru. My ex husband left me to care for my 3 children, one is severely autistic. Eddie is 16 years of age, requires 24 hr care, i met a wonderful man, who has been in my life for 11 years and because of him, i am able to work. I dont know how i would do it without him. I work full time, its hard, my hats off to those of you that are working hard, regardless if you have a job or not. Having a disabled child is hard. God bless you all and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Claudia Chavarria in Los Angeles, California said: Im so sorry, I totally understand what these parents are going thru. My ex husband left me to care for my 3 children, one is severely autistic. Eddie is 16 years of age, requires 24 hr care, i met a wonderful man, who has been in my life for 11 years and because of him, i am able to work. I dont know how i would do it without him. I work full time, its hard, my hats off to those of you that are working hard, regardless if you have a job or not. Having a disabled child is hard. God bless you all and good luck.

I know what you're going through Claudia. I was raised in a family of kids here in suburban Philadelpha. Six brothers, one sister, and myself. Four of my brothers are mentally handicapped. Sadly, one of them passed away back in July of 2000. My mother didn't work outside the home for thirty years: from the time that my oldest brother was born until my sister started eighth grade. When she did go back to work, she only worked part-time overnight Friday and Saturday. At least my father was there. There was no way that she could work full-time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Continued from previous post

From the time that I was 13 until I was 17, I babysat my youngest brother (who's one of the handicapped ones) out in the backyard of my parents' house, and he was very hard to handle. I even had to clean his room in order to get my allowance.

As much as I love my parents dearly, I couldn't do this. I couldn't handle a normal child; let alone a handicapped one. I don't have the time, money, or even the patience to deal with raising a child. I didn't want a life like this. That, along with what the Bible and Catholic Church teach about sex, marriage, family, and relationships; are a few of the reasons that I chose not to get married and have kids. I wanted to be a career woman; not a housewife and a mother.

In my entire 35 years in the workforce, I have never been severely disciplined, or even terminated from, a job for excessive absenteeism and lateness. An employer can count on me to be there and put in an entire day's work.

I don't know how these women today can do it. How can they care for a family and work at the same time? I know I couldn't do it. Claudia, you're lucky that you have a man that's there for you and the kids; and that you can work. Sadly, a lot of these men just simply run off and leave the women by themselves to raise their kids.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Oops! I goofed! I was raised in a family of eight kids, and I'm the third oldest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Claudia Chavarria in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

Hi Nanlisa, thank you for sharing your story. Four siblings? Wow, it must be very hard, i know it must be hard to have taken care of your brother but im sure your parents thank you...yes, im lucky and blessed to have that support. Again, my hats off to parents of disabled children, teens, adults. God bless you and all the parents going thru this, its tuff. Im a caseworker and to the parents defense, women also run out and leave men or family members to care for the disabled individual, not just men. I wish there were more funding for childcare for disabled individuals, it was hard when i was alone. I have been working for 15 yrs, 4 of those years was so, so hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MConnor in Evansville, Indiana

30 months ago

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio said: Start your own online business. Start a website or blog about your challenges, recommendations, and real-world knowledge/experience! There are companies that you can have "advertise" on your website so that every time someone clicks on them, you get paid. There are countless ways to earn money online, on your own website. Let me know if you need help getting started! There are lots of people that can relate to single moms who have children with speecial needs. By blogging and/or creating a website, you can work on your own time. You can write reviews of products you use, help others in similiar situations, and earn an income in the process.

My husband is a stay at home dad and can't work because our son is disabled. He has a trach and g-tube and has a nurse that picks him up for school and is at school with him one on one. He has a rod in his back and has several surgeries a year that requires us both to be there and we want to be. One of us can't work. I have many sick days accumulated along with 4 weeks vacation. The only draw back is I make under 30k a year. We are surviving but I would love to inquire about the blog and website development for my husband. It would give us much needed extra income to maybe be able to save and take vacation and give him purpose. He does all the yard work and upkeep of the home but while our son is in school he would love a job. No one will hire someone who needs to be off so much. Could you send information or does anyone else have suggestions for a stay at home dad to earn income?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Claudia Chavarria in Los Angeles, California said: Hi Nanlisa, thank you for sharing your story. Four siblings? Wow, it must be very hard, i know it must be hard to have taken care of your brother but im sure your parents thank you...yes, im lucky and blessed to have that support. Again, my hats off to parents of disabled children, teens, adults. God bless you and all the parents going thru this, its tuff. Im a caseworker and to the parents defense, women also run out and leave men or family members to care for the disabled individual, not just men. I wish there were more funding for childcare for disabled individuals, it was hard when i was alone. I have been working for 15 yrs, 4 of those years was so, so hard.

You're welcome Claudia. My surviving handicapped brothers are now all in facilities for the handicapped, and they're all being well cared for. So is my mother. She's in a Catholic nursing facility that's run by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia; the same one that I worked at thirty years ago as a dietary aide before I went to your home city, Los Angeles. I was going to live there in L.A. for good. But for family, I came back here to Philly, and I've been back here ever since.

Perhaps you can contact your lawmakers there in California, even your Congressperson, as well as Senators Boxer and Feinstein, to see if they can introduce legislation to help parents with disabled children to keep a job outside the home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

priscler in Yuma, Arizona

30 months ago

I am sorry for you job loss. These are my best advices.
1. Since you were fired, i don’t suggest for you to put them as a reference or in you resume, nor application. The reason because employer will ask you why you left, and if you tell them you got fired for your daughter illness, then your just going to open a can of worms and no one is going to want to hire you because there going to look at you as someone who is not reliable to be at work all the time. Yes, is so unfair and mess up, but realistically in this workforce mentality is just that :( trust me on this on.

2. You need to work and since you don’t have a support system, i suggest for you for paying for a babysitter who will take care your daughter when she is sick, or a day care. This is the only way you will be able to work with no support system from fam.
I wished you the best and hope your kid gets better hun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jackie1976 in Louisville, Kentucky

30 months ago

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio said: Start your own online business. Start a website or blog about your challenges, recommendations, and real-world knowledge/experience! There are companies that you can have "advertise" on your website so that every time someone clicks on them, you get paid. There are countless ways to earn money online, on your own website. Let me know if you need help getting started! There are lots of people that can relate to single moms who have children with speecial needs. By blogging and/or creating a website, you can work on your own time. You can write reviews of products you use, help others in similiar situations, and earn an income in the process.

I am really interested in how one can start a website or blog..I am a computer geek. I did work from home for one of the biggest health insurance companies in America for five years....my son was born with tethered cord and chairi malformation. They fired me 20 days before his first surgery saying I didn't call in and I did. I had FMLA on me and him....so I am curious if you could email me and tell me how I could get started on what you metioned above. I feel like I keep sending out resume's and I get no call backs. I have been out of work since 2010 and I graduated from college with a diploma. Still I had a 3.0 in High school and a 3.67 in college. I took some online classes got 8 classes away from a degree and his health demanded so much of me that I panicked. I am not going to sugar coat it. He has since then has had a second surgery taking out more vertebrae and bone from his skull. He is on SSI. I have 3 children and had to move back with my parents. I really feel like if what you say works...It would be perfect for me...I don't want to sell purses or makeup or cleaners. mynameis_jackie@hotmail.com is my email address. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jackie1976 in Louisville, Kentucky

30 months ago

I would love some information on how to start your own blog or website. I have a son that is disabled and I worked from home for a major Health insurance comapany for five years. 20 days before his first planned surgery they fired me. She said I didnt' call in and I did. I had a doctor's note and everything. They paid me unemployment without arguing...I have had no calls for jobs. I am scared they are saying something about my son being sick, I never disclose that information on interviews or how many kids I have. That violates HIPPA laws and Labor Laws. No one should ever ask you if you have children on an interview. In fact the only phone interview I had my son was in the background fussing and the man said "is that your baby?" I told him "sir you are not supposed to ask that, and if I didn't have so much on my plate right now I would call someone on you" lol. well please let me know how to start a blog or website. I went to college too. I feel like a waste of brains over here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

autism mommy in Lombard, Illinois

30 months ago

i also am in the same postion but my son has not won his ssi yet going on 3 years. the only autistic daycare wont take him bc he will be 12 in 2 months i feel so worthless not working i get $200 child support & 144 a month from section 8 housing. cant do at home work ibdont have cable internet or even gas for all my sons appts. my car feels like its gona die on me . n everyone seems to jave no knowledge or understanding of his dignois so why i am told its the best interest not to work ok well i cant do it anymore. im also n debt with a student loan my wages will be detached as soon as i get a job :( sometimes im so cooped up in my house i would help for free. but forget summer fun . i dont have any money. i dont have anyone to watch him n couldnt pay anyone. i couldntafford a deserved pay. i mean you gota make sure you can keep hin from running away ,hurting hiself, or others and breaks everything its not easy God gave me the job to care for him but how do i provide ?:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MommaAries in Atlanta, Georgia

27 months ago

Hi Everyone,
I'm a divorced single mother with a special needs son. My son has CP,G-tube & multi-handicap. It does feels like you're alone; but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing the same thing. I was told that there special ssi disability (special social security) that you can apply for your child. It will allow you to work without affecting benefits that your child gets from the government. Keep in mind that people will not tell you this. I have not applied just yet or have any detail information; but I was given a lawyer's name to contact. Here is the website: www.elderlaw-lacey.com
At the moment I am living with relatives but I have being doing research so I can move. Hud has a website that have apartments listed for low income family. I did visit an apartment community in my area to see if it was legit and it wasn't bad at all. Looks pretty quiet & they accept 2x's the rent, ssi disability, child support and of course your job. Here is the website: www.hud.gov/apps/section8/step2.cfm?state=GA%2CGeorgia
You don't have to have section 8, but if you do they accept that too. I actually applied for a job in my local school district (over a year ago) because they are working with children it makes sense that they should have some sort of compassion to let you care for your child when they are sick. I applied for positions working with special needs children being that I have my own personal experience and this is my lifestyle. I explained my situation & what I know how to do to care for my own son. I got hired, I now work after-school. I also went to get certified to be a paraprofessional. I have a diploma & I did go back to college, but found it challenging to study & take care of my son; so I took a break. Of course everyone knows that the school doesn't pay a whole lot, but it gives you the opportunity to help you care for your child. My son has hip surgery coming up & I ask to take some time off. I got an ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MommaAries in Atlanta, Georgia

27 months ago

I still have my job. It also helps you to meet other parents who has a special needs child & your able to trade off information. I do ask a lot of questions from his therapist, doctors, people that I run into & have a special needs child like myself. Try to talk to as many people as possible & networking. Make note of everything you come across because it can be helpful in the present or the future. Check your area for respite cares, checkout Bayada Nurses ( my co-worker who is a nurse told me that one of her students has a nurse that follows him everywhere while his mom works) and I was given an advice to be a CNA because I'm basically doing something similar at home everyday. If you go to a training center the classes are 3 weeks everyday except weekends & its $500 out of pocket tuition ( not including whatever else you made need). You can work for yourself or a company, more flexibility with work schedule & good pay. It'll help you get on feet so you can pursue more opportunities in life. There isn't a manual on taking care of a child who has special needs & its stressful, its hard & its challenging. Everyone just hang in there because you all are terrific mothers & you all are strong no matter what your situation is. :) May God Bless everybody!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

alinbong in Norfolk, Virginia

27 months ago

Hello, so sorry for what everyone is going through. i have a good friend that needs help.Her son is now 18 and disabled in a wheelchair. because hes 18 she has to fight for gardianship. she is going through a terrible divorce, hubby was abusing her, and she has not worked in 18 years. No high school diploma or GED. By court order she has to be out of her house my Sep. 30. she has no job and no where to go but to a temperary shelter. Section 8 has been shut down for the past 6 years. she is getting food stamps but only like $140.00 a month and SSI and medicade. i just don't know how to help her. after the divorce she will no longer have a vehicle which is perfect for the wheelchair. he is taking everything. she was with him for 16 years but only married for 3 years. what can i do to help? The economy is so bad that there is no help. im trying to take donations for her through facebook. shes working with the salvation army but they have no perminate fix. without a home for the kid how can she get full guardianship? she needs a computer and a phone to get some what of a job. i so want to give her any resources that i can possibly give.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Garland, Texas

27 months ago

Why does she need guardianship ?

Is her son living with her ?

Is he of sound mind ?

Is her ex-husband the father ?

Is her ex-husband wanting guardianship ?

mattmama in Denver, Colorado

12 months ago

MommaAries in Atlanta, Georgia said: I still have my job. It also helps you to meet other parents who has a special needs child & your able to trade off information. I do ask a lot of questions from his therapist, doctors, people that I run into & have a special needs child like myself. Try to talk to as many people as possible & networking. Make note of everything you come across because it can be helpful in the present or the future. Check your area for respite cares, checkout Bayada Nurses ( my co-worker who is a nurse told me that one of her students has a nurse that follows him everywhere while his mom works) and I was given an advice to be a CNA because I'm basically doing something similar at home everyday. If you go to a training center the classes are 3 weeks everyday except weekends & its $500 out of pocket tuition ( not including whatever else you made need). You can work for yourself or a company, more flexibility with work schedule & good pay. It'll help you get on feet so you can pursue more opportunities in life. There isn't a manual on taking care of a child who has special needs & its stressful, its hard & its challenging. Everyone just hang in there because you all are terrific mothers & you all are strong no matter what your situation is. :) May God Bless everybody!

Wow you gave out a lot info that might help me in the future as I'm planning to move to Atlanta/Marrietta GA area in a year or 2. I now know that there is help available for mothers of disable kids. I have a 5 year old boy diagnosed with autism. I know live in Denver CO but I don't like the cold and plan to move one I get myself financially stable. I thank god for you you have family for love, and support. Thanks again for the useful info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

My son was diagnosed with autism is now 5 years old, goes to school all week and full day. He is doing good and get 15 hrs special needs classes and 10 of regular classes a week. I found a Homeopath but I have to pay out-of pocket for that which I don't have. I left his father because he was violent towards me and then towards our son since he found out that he has autism. He lives in another state and works but he only give $200 a month saying that's all he can afford. My son gets $580 from SSI. I get help from some government programs but now if I work my rent will double and the gas and electricity also because . I'm frustrated as I don't have family around. I'm waiting for the arrival of a good friend of mine from NY so we can help each other as she is in the same boat with me ( single mom with a child with autism) but my main issue is that I want to go back to school. I want to go for a 2 year degree but until my friend comes ( She is not sure when she is coming),I can't since school is out at 3 pm and then i can't find a daycare for after school in Denver CO for autistic kids paid by the Government. The program I'm interested is FT and it's days, night and week ends. How do I do it? It's hard and I want to say to all single moms out there and families of disables kids that you are very strong and not alone and that god will give you the strength you need to make it for you and your kid(s).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wimberlykay in Conroe, Texas

12 months ago

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio said: Start your own online business . Start a website or blog about your challenges, recommendations, and real-world knowledge/experience! There are companies that you can have "advertise" on your website so that every time someone clicks on them, you get paid. There are countless ways to earn money online, on your own website. Let me know if you need help getting started! There are lots of people that can relate to single moms who have children with speecial needs. By blogging and/or creating a website, you can work on your own time. You can write reviews of products you use, help others in similiar situations, and earn an income in the process.

Hi, Im a Licensed Profressional in my field with many years of experience. I would love to have a blog and sell products pertaining to my Indusrty but have no clue how to get started. Will
You please email me at wimberlykay@aol.com? I really appreciate your advice..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio said: Start your own online business . Start a website or blog about your challenges, recommendations, and real-world knowledge/experience! There are companies that you can have "advertise" on your website so that every time someone clicks on them, you get paid. There are countless ways to earn money online, on your own website. Let me know if you need help getting started! There are lots of people that can relate to single moms who have children with speecial needs. By blogging and/or creating a website, you can work on your own time. You can write reviews of products you use, help others in similiar situations, and earn an income in the process.

hI, hOW R U?

u know what ? I never didn't think of that: Blogging about autism; talking and networking with other families in the same situation as me. Wow!! That's a fantastic idea.

I know a lot about blogging and know a little about networking with facebook and twitter but what about when it comes to having a website? How to get traffic ? I need some ideas on that. Let me know if you do

Thanks so much for the great idea. God bless you and your family!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kate_outta_kontrol in deep in the heart of, Texas

1 month ago

I would apply for any and all govt assistance. I know that probably doesnt cover it all but neither do the part time or low wage jobs which throw your life into more chaos than you already have. I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

SammySosa in Louisville, Kentucky

1 month ago

How do you start this up?

2Legit in Cincinnati, Ohio

1 month ago

espresso_dreams in Everett, Washington said: I hit the character limit very quickly. Here is the rest:

It's bad enough to have such restrictive hours - day care centers are usually open from 7 AM to about 6 PM, Monday through Friday only around here. Additionally, we have a weekly limit on the number of hours a child can be in daycare in my state. I understand why these limits exist, but they prevent any kind of overtime, ever. This means that I am unable to make up any time lost while my child is sick.

When I was working, I was not making enough to cover our basic expenses, since I wasn't able to be there as much as my employer wanted. I was ineligible for raises or promotions because of it, too.

Again, I have NO help with her. I have no family that can support us, or even watch her for me. Her father is struggling to provide for his other child, and works about 60 hrs a week (under the table), and can't watch her.

In addition, I don't have much education . I had her pretty young. I completed an Environmental Science program in college (about 90 credits), but ran out of financial aid before I could complete the degree requirements. The degree has since changed and can't be finished. I tried going back to school, and during the months that she was healthy, I did very well. Once she started getting sick again, my hours were once again spent nursing her back to health . I failed some classes, and am now ineligible for financial aid.

What do I do???

Apply for a teacher's aide job, cafeteria aide, nurse aide, etc. job in the district where your child goes to school. That way, you will be off during the summers and holidays with your child AND you will not have work to take home after "quitting time". If you live in a larger public school district, there may be preschool jobs you can apply to.

NoExcuses3 in Rock Island, Illinois

5 days ago

jd in Roseville, Michigan said: Hi,
Jd, I recently jointed this site and ha

Please help!

I was curious how old ur daughter was when she started to regress in her growing process? Have theyou diagnosed her with anything yet? I have a daughter that doesn't grow as well, with a peg tube. She is almost 3 not is only 16lbs. She is a twin, not was baby B but the have no idea you she doesn't want to grow, n you she has feeding issues. Her sister is a normal 3 year old weighing 32 lbs. Just curious because I am worried about my little girl and she has been threw so much as it is. Plus I too notice things I am concerned about. Please let me know if u have any advice, or idea. Thanks

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.