I don't know what to study at college

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Rain in Salem, Massachusetts

25 months ago

I'm 21 years old with a 4 month old baby girl..I want to go to college and get a degree, I was thinking about becoming a RN but now that I looking on the internet and I see there are no jobs, and the jobs i found are looking for people with 3 or more years experience, I'm not too sure of becoming a nurse. Just near my city (I live in Ma) there are more than 6 RN programs and 10 lpn, and most of the women I know are going for those careers.

Almost 2 years ago I was studying Bussines Admisnistration, but I dropped out, because personal problems and also I didn't look myself working in a bank, I wanted to go for Accounting but my father-in-law said that I don't have what it needs to be a administrator or accountant not because I'm not smart, but I don't have the character, he said I'm so simple (he's stupid I know).

I don't know what to do, I want to start college next year, but I don't wanna go 2 or 4 years to school, then no be able to find a job, or get pay less than $14.00 an hour.

I want a career where I can get a job an a nice salary to live, I don't know if should I keep my eyes on RN or what to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

James in Denville, New Jersey

25 months ago

I'd stay away from degrees like Art, History, Psychology, and Political Science unless you plan on teaching it someday. I know too many people with these types of degrees that can't find anything outside of a low-wage job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

I know what you mean and I'm gonna stay away from Liberal Arts, I'm between any medical fiel and accounting, the problem is I don't like to work counting money in a bank or so and medical fiel I was thinking about Lpn or RN but people say that is so difficult to find a job without experience. I need a job omg and I know there is better opportunities if I have a degree or certificate, that's why I want to go to college, but I don't know what to choose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Rain in Salem, Massachusetts said: I know what you mean and I'm gonna stay away from Liberal Arts, I'm between any medical fiel and accounting, the problem is I don't like to work counting money in a bank or so and medical fiel I was thinking about Lpn or RN but people say that is so difficult to find a job without experience. I need a job omg and I know there is better opportunities if I have a degree or certificate, that's why I want to go to college, but I don't know what to choose.

I would say go for a 2 year degree that requires some kind of license or certification upon graduation. You want to carefully choose a profession that 1. Doesn't require Spanish. 2. Cannot be off-shored. 3. Isn't easily automated. 4. Doesn't require a lot of previous experience.

Come up with 3 or 4 possibles and then find someone who does it and ask if you can take them to lunch. Tell them you are doing research for a school project. This is the only way to find out what the profession is really like.

We talked my niece out of college and she went to beauty school instead. She is doing well now but it took a few years before she built up her clientele. She just bought a house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I would say go for a 2 year degree that requires some kind of license or certification upon graduation. You want to carefully choose a profession that 1. Doesn't require Spanish. 2. Cannot be off-shored. 3. Isn't easily automated. 4. Doesn't require a lot of previous experience.

Come up with 3 or 4 possibles and then find someone who does it and ask if you can take them to lunch. Tell them you are doing research for a school project. This is the only way to find out what the profession is really like.

We talked my niece out of college and she went to beauty school instead. She is doing well now but it took a few years before she built up her clientele. She just bought a house.

I don't care about spanish that's my first language, I'm just so confused I liked what you said about something that a a certification, that's what I want. The thing is I feel my time is running out because I already have a baby and I need a job to support her.

And about talk to people on the field I have interest, that's why I'm asking in this and other forums to see if that can help me to figure out something. Btw thank you for your advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Rain in Salem, Massachusetts said: I don't care about spanish that's my first language, I'm just so confused I liked what you said about something that a a certification, that's what I want. The thing is I feel my time is running out because I already have a baby and I need a job to support her.

And about talk to people on the field I have interest, that's why I'm asking in this and other forums to see if that can help me to figure out something. Btw thank you for your advice!

Check out www.bls.gov/oco. Its the governments own assessment of where the help wanted signs are and what is required. Then, find someone in the field and take them to lunch. The BLS isn't always right.

Anything where you can actually see your client or customer is relatively safe for now. Its difficult to off-shore a stop up toilet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

riot in Pembroke, Massachusetts

25 months ago

First, I want to say that I think you should give serious consideration to Bluetea's posts. I especially liked the advice about taking people working in your potential fields to lunch. It's very important to know what you're getting yourself into before you waste a lot of time. I completed an Associate's Degree and tutored at a community college, where I encountered many students in allied health programs who didn't make it because they had little interest (or aptitude) in the science courses that were prerequisites for their program. It's not their fault they didn't make it, as medical careers are pushed on everyone these days, but they could have looked at the requirements, noticed all the science courses, realized that they didn't like science, and put two and two together.

If you're considering RN, but are unsure if you'll like it, Medical Assisting may be a good temporary solution for you. This is typically a 9-month certificate program and leads to a $12-$14/hour position. (I know someone who has gone this route and she found a job easily, but that was two years ago, so I don't know what the current prospects are for this job.) If you get through and find out you don't like medicine, then you haven't wasted 2-4 years on a nursing degree, and if you do like it, a $14 per hour job while you work to become an RN is better than working at Burger King or Walmart.

(Continued.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

riot in Pembroke, Massachusetts

25 months ago

(From Above.)

I would take also Bluetea's advice about browsing the BLS Occupational Outlooks. Look up any position that sounds interesting to you and read the description of the study and work involved. (You may need to click through several links to get to the full description.) Make a list of anything that still sounds good to research further. Take the actual employment outlook and salaries with a grain of salt, but the description of my field is pretty good.

Finally, you've told us what you don't like and what you're basically told to like, what do you like to do? (Better suggestions may follow.) And, if you do decide to go back to school, go to a real Community College or traditional private or state college/university. Stay away from for-profit career colleges such as ITT Tech.

Dr.X in Port Arthur, Texas

25 months ago

why would u want to avoid jobs that require a foreign language? Foreign language= more $$$...sounds a little xenophobic if you ask me

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

24 months ago

Dr.X in Port Arthur, Texas said: why would u want to avoid jobs that require a foreign language? Foreign language= more $$$...sounds a little xenophobic if you ask me

OK, ok, Dr. X you busted me.

I was avoiding jobs that required Mandarin, Korean, you name it. I can't speak those languages and I wasn't ready to lie about it on my resume'.

Thought I was being honest with those employers. Guess it actually means I'm just a xenophobe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: OK, ok, Dr. X you busted me.

I was avoiding jobs that required Mandarin, Korean, you name it. I can't speak those languages and I wasn't ready to lie about it on my resume'.

Thought I was being honest with those employers. Guess it actually means I'm just a xenophobe.

There are only two languages to study now: Spanish and Chinese. In healthcare Spanish is almost a requirement for every job. In business, its Chinese.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stpierre in Arlington, Texas

24 months ago

Rain in Salem, Massachusetts said: I'm 21 years old with a 4 month old baby girl..I want to go to college and get a degree, I was thinking about becoming a RN but now that I looking on the internet and I see there are no jobs, and the jobs i found are looking for people with 3 or more years experience, I'm not too sure of becoming a nurse. Just near my city (I live in Ma) there are more than 6 RN programs and 10 lpn, and most of the women I know are going for those careers.

Almost 2 years ago I was studying Bussines Admisnistration, but I dropped out, because personal problems and also I didn't look myself working in a bank , I wanted to go for Accounting but my father-in- law said that I don't have what it needs to be a administrator or accountant not because I'm not smart, but I don't have the character, he said I'm so simple (he's stupid I know).

I don't know what to do, I want to start college next year, but I don't wanna go 2 or 4 years to school, then no be able to find a job, or get pay less than $14.00 an hour.

I want a career where I can get a job an a nice salary to live, I don't know if should I keep my eyes on RN or what to do?

No one can guarantee anything. I have a degree in Accounting and I still barely make a few more bucks than $14 an hour. There is no sure thing, even with a degree that seems like it could be. I am frustrated to be making about $23,000 less than others who have my degree and have jobs that I know of. Or you have to know something so specific that they will not talk to you because you don't. It is so dumb the way the job market has changed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.