How to find a job after being fired because my supervisor didnt like me

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Lamb1219 in Birmingham, Alabama

21 months ago

I was suddenly fired from my job at the end of July, because my supervisor did not like me. I have never been fired from a job, let alone, have issues getting along with people. I am now trying to find a new job and have been on about 8 interviews and have not been offered a job. I feel like my being "black balled
from finding a job, because the places I interview with call my previous employer and who knows what they are told. Anyone know how to handle this? I desperately need a job, but cannot land a job, and I think, its because I was fired from my last job. I am a good person and a hard worker, it stinks that one person can ruin that all for me. Thanks for anyone advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Massachusetts

21 months ago

Have you tried to have a friend call and pretend to be checking a reference, just to see if your previous employer is doing anything other than verifying dates of employment? How long were you at the previous job? Do you think you could leave it off your resume and still get interviews?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

21 months ago

Lamb1219 in Birmingham, Alabama said: I was suddenly fired from my job at the end of July, because my supervisor did not like me. I have never been fired from a job, let alone, have issues getting along with people. I am now trying to find a new job and have been on about 8 interviews and have not been offered a job. I feel like my being "black balled
from finding a job, because the places I interview with call my previous employer and who knows what they are told. Anyone know how to handle this? I desperately need a job, but cannot land a job, and I think, its because I was fired from my last job. I am a good person and a hard worker, it stinks that one person can ruin that all for me. Thanks for anyone advice!

Sadly, I think this is how some small employers handle getting out of laying off someone so they can't collect UC. I have worked for a few small businesses where I saw this play out when they needed to trim some staff. I don't know if this was your case, but being fired for not getting along with a supervisor is not uncommon, but not something you would ever discuss with a new employer.

Did you work there long? Can you leave them off the resume? If not, chances are real good in your favor that they won't say anything negative about you should your potential new employer call to check the dates you worked. These days of lawsuits and such, old employers aren't even giving out good revues, just reciting salaries and dates.

Also, do you have any former coworkers that would be willing to be a good reference? I have played that role for some people I saw let go unfairly. The issue of them being fired never came up and I was able to truthfully give a good reference for the person in question.

Anyone that I ever knew that got fired from a job seem to find employment again. Of course this was before any of us found it impossible to get a job. I think your odds will be the same as anyone else here. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

21 months ago

Lamb1219 in Birmingham, Alabama said: I was suddenly fired from my job at the end of July, because my supervisor did not like me. I have never been fired from a job, let alone, have issues getting along with people. I am now trying to find a new job and have been on about 8 interviews and have not been offered a job. I feel like my being "black balled

Also I wanted to add that even if your old employer is bad mouthing you; it doesn't mean their competitors aren't aware of their reputation as being difficult. I worked in an industry many years ago where blackballing was a real fear. Turns out that once I got away from this employer I gave 9 years to, no one paid any attention to her craziness. Yes, I once feared she could ruin me and yes, she made it her mission to blackball me. I was working again within days for her competitor because these other employers couldn't believe I lasted even a month with this woman. LOL.

Fast forward to this last recent stint of unemployment, I too have been to almost a dozen interviews with no offer and I had a great reputation at my old company. Heck, I wish someone would talk to my old manager. I might have a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

21 months ago

That sucks :(

What type of career field were you in ?
Can you use former coworkers as a reference?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

21 months ago

Riot in Massachusetts said: Have you tried to have a friend call and pretend to be checking a reference, just to see if your previous employer is doing anything other than verifying dates of employment? How long were you at the previous job? Do you think you could leave it off your resume and still get interviews?

I did something akin to this when I was concerned a former supervisor was blackballing me.
I paid a service to do it though, so it would be totally professional and impartial. To me, it was worth the $20-odd I paid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

21 months ago

Riot in Massachusetts said: Have you tried to have a friend call and pretend to be checking a reference, just to see if your previous employer is doing anything other than verifying dates of employment?

This will only work if your last employer was Elroy's Typewriter Repair. Most companies (not all) have not done verbals since the typewriter.

There are services like checkmyreferences.com that will do a reference check for you. Its very reasonable.

Still, if you were fired, there is nothing to stop a company from saying you were fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Endoftheworld in Hamden, Connecticut

21 months ago

it will be difficult to get another job after being fired. to disclose this on a job application "reason for leaving last job" or in interview "why did you leave co. xyz?" is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation esp. if you don't have another managerial type person you can use as a ref.
While co. are tech. "not allowed" to badmouth former EE's they can say reason for termination and whether or not they'd rehire the person.

I used to say that it was "time for a change" for jobs I was forced to resign from or "job not what expected" for jobs I was terminated from due to performance issues. In my situation I've never left a job on good terms and have no references so that is one reason after 5 yrs. I am utterly unable to get a new one esp. where an application needs to be filled out where one is asked for reason for separation.

I lie about the question "have you ever been terminated or asked to resign a job?" may as well shoot myself in the head to answer that positively and actually explain what happened since the explanation would not ameliorate things.
The longer your gap the harder it will be to get another job as the gap alone increases suspicion as to why you became unemployed in the 1st. place.

I was technically "laid off due to elimination of the office assistant job" at my last place but prior to this I was told that they were going to have to let me go if I didn't make myself useful enough.
Earlier in my unemployment i was asked if they were going to rehire me once the economy improved and then I'd have to explain how my duties were farmed out to the remaining staff and I did not believe they would be needing an office assistant which just made it seem as if my job was really a nothing job.

Not all interviewers are terribly interested in past employment but some ask detailed questions about what you liked the most and least and things like "what would your last boss say about you" etc.
It's really a matter of luck...or NOT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lostmyhope in Virginia

21 months ago

get a friend to act like your boss and put that number down as the number to call!!! you wouldnt be the first person to get fired and had to work around it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Greenbelt, Maryland

21 months ago

Find out how you were officially terminated. Companies often technically lay people off instead of firing them to protect against wrongful termination suits and because it saves on paperwork. If that was the case with you, then you can state that you were laid off rather than fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

21 months ago

Jeff in Greenbelt, Maryland said: Find out how you were officially terminated. Companies often technically lay people off instead of firing them to protect against wrongful termination suits and because it saves on paperwork. If that was the case with you, then you can state that you were laid off rather than fired.

Much easier to lay people off than to fire them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

21 months ago

Whatever you do, don't use the "he didn't like me" line. The second you say that in an interview, you've been eliminated. Even if you really believe that was the reason, don't share that with a hiring manager. You'll be viewed as a problem child who doesn't have self awareness and who doesn't take accountability for your actions. You won't even be given the chance to tell your side of the story. Even if you are still talking, the manager won't be listening.

A good spin is to be vague and state that you and the company were not a good fit. Instead of going into any details, switch gears and start explaining why the company you are interviewing with IS a good fit and why you are a good fit for them (this is where you spew the core values and bs you have read on the HR webpage).

The best way to spin a negative is to take control of the interview and change the topic with slight of hand tricks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

21 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Much easier to lay people off than to fire them.

BOTH being wrongly layoff and being wrongly fired are tough to prove in a court of law.

But, it's easier to prove in court that you were wrongly fired than wrongly laid off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie Sikes in Littleton, Colorado

2 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: BOTH being wrongly layoff and being wrongly fired are tough to prove in a court of law .

But, it's easier to prove in court that you were wrongly fired than wrongly laid off.

I was found wrongly fired at an unemployment hearing. I applied for another lateral position and at my interview this morning, I was told I likely wouldn't be hired due to my getting fired. Does this type of court really count?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jury 14 in Hartford, Connecticut

2 months ago

Julie Sikes in Littleton, Colorado said: I was found wrongly fired at an unemployment hearing. I applied for another lateral position and at my interview this morning, I was told I likely wouldn't be hired due to my getting fired. Does this type of court really count?

No. You just look like more of a risk now, unfortunately. A cruel reality, but it's what it is. Doesn't mean you won't find another job, though.

Linda in Detroit, Michigan

2 months ago

Julie Sikes in Littleton, Colorado said: I was found wrongly fired at an unemployment hearing. I applied for another lateral position and at my interview this morning, I was told I likely wouldn't be hired due to my getting fired. Does this type of court really count?

Did you tell them you were fired? It's at a different company, correct? They would have no way of knowing unless you told them. The fact that you were wrongfully terminated, and the unemployment ruled in your favor is really irrelevant.

How much of the story did you tell the prospective employer?

williemorris in Ukraine

2 months ago

Hm.. Why not just avoid the information about you being fired in your CV? or not just not to tell it if employer asks? )

Julie Sikes in Littleton, Colorado

2 months ago

Linda in Detroit, Michigan said: Did you tell them you were fired? It's at a different company, correct? They would have no way of knowing unless you told them. The fact that you were wrongfully terminated, and the unemployment ruled in your favor is really irrelevant.

How much of the story did you tell the prospective employer?

They asked if I had been, I just didn't lie. I'm bummed, I was hoping the hearing would help-thank you

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.