How to get Wind Energy Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 128)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

GreenBiz in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

58 months ago

Contact Lakeshore Technical College in Cleveland, Wisconsin. They are a provider of educational programs in the field of wind technology, and they can point you in the right direction. Talk to Doug Lindsey, Dean of Agriculture, and he will recommend a path. Have you looked into Vestas? Check this site out as well (www.everythingoutdoorsusa.com). Everything Outdoors USA will soon provide information in regard to wind technology. Thanks.

Everything Outdoors USA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

EmilyM in Sacramento, California

58 months ago

Interesting topic. I looked up the program you were suggesting and found another review of it on yahoo answers....

Yahoo Answers Opinion said: I went through there program and it was tough but good. First week was all about wind turbines and the industry. Second week was pretty much all hydrolics. Last two weeks were electronic systems with schematics and troubleshooting. I learned a whole lot but don't ever call turbines "windmills" in class, or rotors "propellers", you will get steamed by the teacher "Coach." I am applying for a handfull of jobs that I should get offers on soon and they have all heard of California Wind Tech and there program so I am happy I went through it. There is lots to learn so pay attention and take good notes in class if you do go.
P.S. If a guy named Ryan is teaching your class ask him who spit in his Cheerios for me...LOL.

It looks like other people are having the same experience as you. Thanks for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ben Jenkins in Lake Havasu, Arizona

58 months ago

Yeah, its good if you can change locations and relocate to where the windmills are being built. We don't have any round where I live, but I wish we did because theres an article on AWEA that says,--- "Wind Techs have become a demanded position in the growing industry. In order for the United States to reach the U.S. Department of Energy goal of 20% electricity from wind energy by 2030 Report, there will need to be 1 wind technician to service every new 10MW installed. That means that in 2009 alone over 500 new wind technicians were needed. The wind industry has been attaining the yearly goals set by the Department of Energy, and if it continues, there will need to be over 30,000 technicians by the end of 2010."

30,000 new green jobs in wind energy is a Fraking TON of new jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jake Given in Fort Worth, Texas

58 months ago

Yeah, the wind energy industry should be gettin' a huge bump from Obamanomics and all the stimulus spending. looks like the tax payer is paying for it again. At least this time we are gonna make some green jobs for regular people instead of bailing out WallStreet. Time we get some of the benefits of being American you now what I mean? There are too many people out of work and all people can do is talk about Michael Jackson and Tiger Woods. Total waste of the public's half second attention span. Ok stop paying attention to me now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

GreenGal in Colorado Springs, Colorado

58 months ago

Wind energy jobs sound great. They look so wonderful when you see the windmills spinning in person. I saw a whole bunch over the holiday when I was back home i Iowa. They are putting a ton of them up near where I grew up and a lot of people are getting wind energy jobs. Even if people in the cities nearby don't get work on the windmills, they still get the benefits to the local economy like royalties for land use and of course wind park workers that move to the area spend some of their money on new houses or at local shops. I think its a great thing and we should have more of them to help the environment too...free energy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GreenBiz in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

58 months ago

GreenGal in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Wind energy jobs sound great. They look so wonderful when you see the windmills spinning in person. I saw a whole bunch over the holiday when I was back home i Iowa. They are putting a ton of them up near where I grew up and a lot of people are getting wind energy jobs. Even if people in the cities nearby don't get work on the windmills, they still get the benefits to the local economy like royalties for land use and of course wind park workers that move to the area spend some of their money on new houses or at local shops. I think its a great thing and we should have more of them to help the environment too...free energy!

I just got back from Amsterdam, and wind technology is certainly on the minds of the Dutch (and has been for decades). There will be many opportunities in this industry that will include foreign and domestic assignments. It's a great field, and hopefully it will contribute to energy production significantly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dukebecker in Duluth, Minnesota

58 months ago

Thinking of entering a program in Virginia, Mn. I am not a mechanical person at all, this would be a totally new endeavor for me. Kind of intimidating. Should I let this bother me? I hear people say this is a rigourous program what does that mean?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Allen Shoe in San Antonio, Texas

55 months ago

Dukebecker in Duluth, Minnesota said: Thinking of entering a program in Virginia, Mn. I am not a mechanical person at all, this would be a totally new endeavor for me. Kind of intimidating. Should I let this bother me? I hear people say this is a rigourous program what does that mean?

If you are looking for an easy wind program try TSTC @ Sweetwater.
There you can get a cert. online and show up to class for two or three weeks to do your hands on. The only downside is that you are 300' in the air with 345,000 volts of electricity. But by all means take the easy route.
Rigourous = tough

For a reason. Duh. Youtube arc flash.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Everett, Massachusetts

55 months ago

I've looked into a "green job" course such as the one presented here. They're all in the Midwest. They recommended that those seeking the training already have a background in either construction or electric engineering. The thing about going back to school now is that the only options I have for those two discipline are schools like Kaplan and all those other for-profit schools which I keep hearing great, just great things about...
never mind a lot of construction related sectors have high unemployment...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fazerman in Idaho Falls, Idaho

54 months ago

Allen Shoe in San Antonio, Texas said: If you are looking for an easy wind program try TSTC @ Sweetwater.
There you can get a cert. online and show up to class for two or three weeks to do your hands on. The only downside is that you are 300' in the air with 345,000 volts of electricity. But by all means take the easy route.
Rigourous = tough

For a reason. Duh. Youtube arc flash.

I call B.S. 300' in the air with 345kV!! What type of Turbine are you getting "hands on training" with? The 300' is believable but the 345kV.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jdam777 in Redding, California

53 months ago

WilliamL in Peoria. Please contact me, I would like to ask you more questions about the WindTech Field.
Thanks Jc
jdam777@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Al in Lake Villa, Illinois

53 months ago

WilliamL in Peoria, Illinois said: To my knowledge I am the only wind tech in the wind energy industry that posts to the forums here, so you are pretty lucky that I stumbled on your post. Since I had the same experience as you when I first tried to get wind energy jobs, I know it can be tough to break into the field with no experience. I would recommend that you do what I did and get trained by a wind tech training program. The one I went through was only one month long and its called California Wind Tech. You can find it at www.californiawindtech.com I once wrote a review of their program for a local blog here in Illinois, so I'll copy and post it below so that you can get an idea of what to expect. I don't think that there is any faster way to get a wind energy job, and yes, I am now making good money. Good luck finding a job, you may also want to expand your search to include Illinois or Texas because things are really picking up with all the new wind parks.

Review of California Wind Tech - Wind Energy Training
Pros: The material is taught well and in a way that is easy to remember.
Cons: You will learn more about wind turbine mechanics than is necessary to get a good job in wind energy.
The Class: Since it is a monthly certificate class for wind energy techs, the course is condensed. From the very start of the first week expect to study a lot even if you have a lot of free time after class. From the first day you will learn about wind turbines, how they work and how they produce wind energy. There is a lot of good general information that they go over and a load of detailed technical information about wind turbine development and the wind energy industry. In all, I would say that this was a really good program and it would be even better after removing some of the extra hydraulics PowerPoints. The instructors were good and the area has a lot to do if you like going out to the beach or checking out local landmarks. Also, after I got my certificate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Al in Lake Villa, Illinois

53 months ago

Hi William, My name is Al and I am currently in the carpentry residental construction business looking to get into the wind turbine tech career. I was considering the California Wind Tech school. I was wondering if you got a job right away in Illinois? Where would be the best company to accept the California WindTech certificate? Did you need additional training?

Thanks so much for your advise and knowledge.
Al

WilliamL in Peoria, Illinois

52 months ago

Wow, it has really been a while since I checked my email. It took me about a month and a half after graduating from Cal Wind Tech to get picked up as a Technician in Illinois. All I really needed to "get on" was the certificates that I got when I graduated from their program (Wind Tech Certificate, OSHA 10, CPR/AED/First Aid). I have now taken another job offer outside of Illinois though, with an outfit that has a name starting with an "I" and ending with a "rola." If you have done your homework on the wind industry then you will know who I am talking about. Its a traveling job and I think the traveling part of it will eventually get tiring, but this job is going to open up a lot of doors for me in the future so I am glad I took it. The pay and benefits are good too. Everyone that I talk to says the industry is hiring at a pretty good pace so there should be some good opportunities out there if you stay busy looking for jobs after you get your certificates. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TheDeanTrain in Tehachapi, California

51 months ago

Yeah, I think that wind energy will really be taking off in the near future. Where I live we just had a bunch of articles in the paper covering the upcoming Alta Wind Energy Center and the jobs that it will create. Apparently, its a massive wind farm development that will bring California back to being one of the top states producing wind power in the nation. I'm only looking for part time work now because I am semi-retired, but if I was of working age I would definitely be looking at getting a job as a Tech. From what my friends tell me, the work is regular maintenance stuff like torquing bolts, changing filters, swapping fluids, and some electrical trouble shooting. Sounds technical, but its not supposed to be too complicated. Would be cool to work on those spinning windmills though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jdam777 in Redding, California

51 months ago

I hope to ask questions of someone that actually is working on the wind Turbins. Does anyone know of a more active forum?

Questions like:
Do you do all your work inside the tower and turbin housing?
Do you ever have to work hanging off the tower?
Is everyone on the maintenance crew required to work suspended (like physicaly inspecting the the propellor blades?)

I do not think I would have a problem working in the tower, in the turbin housing or propeller cone, But hanging off the tower to do propeller inspections I dont think I could handle. Does that make this a no-go job for me?

Thanks, jdam777@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jonagold in Nacogdoches, Texas

50 months ago

Hi everyone. I'm seriously considering a career change to wind technician and wanted to post a few questions about employment options after I receive certification.

1. In order to get a job as a wind tech, do I have to move to an area where wind turbines are being put up? My wife has a good job here in our area and we'd rather not move right now. I would prefer to travel and keep East Texas my home base. Is this possible? I live about 2 hours from the nearest major airport.

2. Do wind technicians leave the country? I'm fond of international travel and have had the opportunity to travel as a contractor for the Dept. of Defense. I've been looking at the job boards online and haven't noticed any international wind technician positions. Lots of Engineer positions overseas, but i can't go back to school full time right now.

3. Do you have to take a color vision test to be hired as a wind tech? I'm slightly color blind. I can easily see differently colored wires, but i consistently fail those the red/green dot pattern color tests. (those flash card tests that are a splatter of dots of different size and color and you have to find a "12" or something hidden in the dots.)

I have lots of other questions, but I'll stop here for now. I appreciate any input.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Hobbs, New Mexico

46 months ago

I will be attending California Wind Tech This month and hope I get picked up soon. William is there anybody hiring? Please email me danielemery85@hotmail.com

I have talked to enxco and nrg suzlon i believe. Im just not sure if it will happen.

THanks

Daniel in Hobbs, New Mexico

46 months ago

WilliamL in Peoria, Illinois said: Wow, it has really been a while since I checked my email. It took me about a month and a half after graduating from Cal Wind Tech to get picked up as a Technician in Illinois. All I really needed to "get on" was the certificates that I got when I graduated from their program (Wind Tech Certificate, OSHA 10, CPR/AED/First Aid). I have now taken another job offer outside of Illinois though, with an outfit that has a name starting with an "I" and ending with a "rola." If you have done your homework on the wind industry then you will know who I am talking about. Its a traveling job and I think the traveling part of it will eventually get tiring, but this job is going to open up a lot of doors for me in the future so I am glad I took it. The pay and benefits are good too. Everyone that I talk to says the industry is hiring at a pretty good pace so there should be some good opportunities out there if you stay busy looking for jobs after you get your certificates. Hope this helps.

I will be attending California Wind Tech This month and hope I get picked up soon. William is there anybody hiring? Please email me danielemery85@hotmail.com

I have talked to enxco and nrg suzlon i believe. Im just not sure if it will happen.

THanks

WilliamL in Peoria, Illinois

46 months ago

Daniel in Hobbs, New Mexico said: I will be attending California Wind Tech This month and hope I get picked up soon. William is there anybody hiring? Please email me danielemery85@hotmail.com

After you graduate from CWT they give you a packet full of company contacts which makes the job search a lot easier. From what I know, 2011 has some serious wind farm expansions scheduled so you should have some really good opportunities after your course. Just be patient and follow-up when applying because some companies can take awhile to process your application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tradewind in Acworth, Georgia

46 months ago

Do you know who would hire certified crane operators for the wind industry?

WilliamL in Peoria, Illinois said: After you graduate from CWT they give you a packet full of company contacts which makes the job search a lot easier. From what I know, 2011 has some serious wind farm expansions scheduled so you should have some really good opportunities after your course. Just be patient and follow-up when applying because some companies can take awhile to process your application.

ostwind in Riverside, California

45 months ago

I have seriously considered California Wind Tech but the only issue that worries me is that they do not have the AWEA "seal of approval(www.awea.org/la_education_soa.cfm)." I've heard some say that it makes a bid difference in job applications but there is not that much information about it overall. Without merely speculating, does anyone know someone that has been accepted or denied a position due to the seal of approval?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Abilene, Texas

45 months ago

AWEA just made the announcement for the first three schools with the Seal of Approval. You will not be accepted or denied a position based on the program having the Seal of Approval. Long term it will become more favorable to attend a school with this seal but it is just too early for that seal to have much weight yet. Your experience, level of knowledge, interview skills etc. will determine whether you are able to obtain employment as a wind tech.

MikeyMikey in Waterloo, Iowa

45 months ago

I went through California Wind Tech a few months back and got a couple of job offers after about 4 weeks of looking. Seems like this was about average for my classmates too. The employers that I interviewed with were looking for things like training and a nice work history. Also, it seems like some sort of trade background is preferred but there were guys in my class that had next to nothing in the way of experience/education and they were able to find work with some of the biggest companies out there. Getting a gold star of approval from some organization won't matter to employers, it all comes down to the fact that you have got some skills and know what you are talking about when interviewing and applying. Just my take from my experience.
LadderBall Champion 2010!
Had to Represent. Peace!
-Mikey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BigJon in Littleton, Colorado

45 months ago

For all of you current wind technicians, how would you describe your daily work load. Is there a high physical demand with lots of back breaking work. Or, are you using tacit knowledge for trouble shooting, insuring everything is in working order, and performing preventative maintenance. I have recently run into back problems from picking up my 3yr old son too often. Also, would some who is 6ft 8in run into a lot of unnecessary obstacles. Any info will help

JasmineJoyce in Bloomington, Illinois

45 months ago

I am currently enrolled in California Wind Tech with my mother, our course begins February 28th. It seems like this is a male dominated field, what are you thoughts on a female working as a Wind Turbine Tech?

bsufaithful in Meridian, Idaho

45 months ago

I found 2 accelerated programs : 1. California Wind Tech ( 1month $1900) 2. Air - Stream (20 -days 4,900) -- Both schools are in california. Seems not to make sense. The Air Stream program seems more legit when i look at there website -- anyone have any comments. For some reason I am skeptical about the California Wind Tech.

hawkins in Phoenix, Arizona

45 months ago

I've checked out both. Ex students from Airstreams have written me extensively and answered many questions which I would be happy to pass on to you. Write me at accipiter8@mac.com.

Delorean in Macon, Georgia

44 months ago

Wind power is a energy source that has virtually no environmental problems but, wind power does have limitations. Windmills are expensive and are located only where there is good wind. If you are going to get a job working on windmills, you had better be ready to go where they're at. I'm not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

QuinceyQ in New York, New York

44 months ago

Well, in the future wind energy will be everywhere. Some micro wind generators are being developed that will allow even a small breeze to charge up batteries on small electronics like your phone or laptop. Check it out here...
inhabitat.com/micro-wind-turbines-small-size-big-impact/
Wind technology is really going all over the world and it is without a doubt going to be the best source of electricity going forward.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kaleel in Baltimore, Maryland

44 months ago

QuinceyQ in New York, New York said:
Wind technology is really going all over the world and it is without a doubt going to be the best source of electricity going forward.

There is no one single renewable or indeed other energy solution. Wind is just another part of the range of renewable energy solutions that can help us reduce CO2 emissions heading into the future. Together all solutions including wind, solar, tidal, geothermal, fossils and bio-fuels, etc... can provide a far cleaner solution overall. Wind has great potential though for improvements in overall coverage beyond what's conventionally been seen as possible, especially with the evolution of the smart electricity grid infrastructure going forward.

DaveyL in Pueblo, Colorado

44 months ago

Well yeah .. it might not be the complete solution and sure wind power won't be the answer for all the energy problems but we have to make use of the wind energy because it is a natural, green and free energy resource .. for places where there is heavy wind currents i think windmills will be a cool idea to be implemented... plus, global warming is going to change the way we do everything.

MaxterMax in Omaha, Nebraska

44 months ago

Kaleel in Baltimore, Maryland said: There is no one single renewable or indeed other energy solution. Wind is just another part of the range of renewable energy solutions that can help us reduce CO2 emissions heading into the future. Together all solutions including wind, solar, tidal, geothermal, fossils and bio-fuels, etc... can provide a far cleaner solution overall. Wind has great potential though for improvements in overall coverage beyond what's conventionally been seen as possible, especially with the evolution of the smart electricity grid infrastructure going forward.

You're fools if you have just blindly accepted "global warming" as "man made." I haven’t even accepted that it’s an issue yet. Any study of history shows that there have been many climate changes over the last 5,000 years. Some subtle, some not. Some more permanent, while others have been more temporary. Even more and more drastic changes occurred before man walked on two legs. Beyond that, much if not all of the “ground” we stand on was the bottom of the sea. Is it going to be our fault when the tides rise and it all happens again? I think not.

Gusty in Hamilton, Ohio

44 months ago

What's the real salary for Wind techs? I am seeing 36k to 68-75k, the latter is hard to believe.
How hard of work is it? How many 250' ladders you have to climb each day lol? (I have seen a 260lb. weight limit to the work.)
I see one month certificates to two year associate's degrees for it. Which is the most realistic path for getting hired? I am thinking a one year course would be enough, but it would be nice to have your classes work toward a higher paying job within the industry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MikeyMikey in Waterloo, Iowa

44 months ago

How much you make is consistent with where you are at and what model you work on Bro. If your in Nowheresville with an ancient model then you best not expect that much money. Thats probably about 1/3 of the jobs that are out there if I had to guess. To get in the neighborhood of $60K you had better get turned out at a big farm with brand spankin' new models. They have more advanced systems and that work pays top dollar. I'm somewhere in between, but when you get experience, which comes fast, you get more options. Expect to climb at least 2 turbines per day and if you are pushing max weight (260lbs) best hit the gym. Being fat never helped any slug get a job. Thats all, I'm outie.
-Mighty MikeyMikey

Kaleel in Baltimore, Maryland

44 months ago

MaxterMax in Omaha, Nebraska said: You're fools if you have just blindly accepted "global warming" as "man made." I haven’t even accepted that it’s an issue yet. Any study of history shows that there have been many climate changes over the last 5,000 years. Some subtle, some not. Some more permanent, while others have been more temporary. Even more and more drastic changes occurred before man walked on two legs. Beyond that, much if not all of the “ground” we stand on was the bottom of the sea. Is it going to be our fault when the tides rise and it all happens again? I think not.

Global Warming is totally our fault. Our emissions of CO2 have been directly correlated with the increase in temperature. Just the fact that 9 out of 10 REAL SCIENTISTS now support this position should clue you into the fact that it is a major issue, quite possibly the biggest issue, that mankind must manage for the rest of our time on this beautiful blue marble we call home. We need to stop cutting down the rain forests which reduce CO2 and we need to stop now. Have you seen that movie The Day After Tomorrow? I sure wouldn't like to wake up in the next ice age, would you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Lets keep this topic strictly about jobs. Regarding Airstreams and California Wind Tech, does anyone else have personal experience with them? Do companies realistically consider those with just a certificate and no electrician experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

QuinceyQ in New York, New York

44 months ago

Anyone hear about the "Green Cops" or "Green Police" in their neighborhoods? Its supposed to be a new Green Job in the United States enacted under CAP & Trade legislation where certain government agencies would have the right to inspect your home. They would do the inspection every year at random and will not only charge you for the inspection, but fine you if you exceed a "carbon footprint". Should you decide not to pay them, or not have the funds, they will declare it "Unlawful" to reside in your own home. Crazy?!?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

deepdenim in Tucson, Arizona

44 months ago

In addition to the intensive short-term programs offered by California Wind Tech and Airstream, anyone familar with NW Renewable Energy Institute in Vancouver, WA? They offer a very comprehensive, AWEA-approved, 6-month Turbine Tech program. If you have attended their "Turb-Tech Training," I would appreciate any positive or negative feedback regarding your experience with NW-REI. My initial, long-distance conversations with their contact people have been good but, oh man, 6-months and $12,000 is serious commitment, however, I like what I see so far with NW-REI. Please forward your comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DaveyL in Pueblo, Colorado

44 months ago

MaxterMax in Omaha, Nebraska said: You're fools if you have just blindly accepted "global warming" as "man made." I haven’t even accepted that it’s an issue yet. Any study of history shows that there have been many climate changes over the last 5,000 years. Beyond that, much if not all of the “ground” we stand on was the bottom of the sea. Is it going to be our fault when the tides rise and it all happens again? I think not.

Even then, an article in USA Today said that we might have $5 a gallon gas this summer based on the current political unrest in Libya and other oil rich countries. I looked it up and other senior energy analysts are in agreement that oil could go much higher over the long term. If we are so dependent on oil then it would be great to get on board with this green energy revolution and create jobs by investing in renewable energy like wind and solar. Electric cars could then cut our demand for oil, using renewable and clean electricity.

44 months ago

Try carrying tools, equipment and ladders in a Prius. The diesel engine was created for a purpose and it was not designed to be "enviro-friendly." For those of us considering working on a wind farm in the hinterlands of this country do you prefer a 4WD Dodge 3500 diesel or a city-boy Volkswagen Hybrid? Besides, we have plenty of crude in one oil reserve in Alaska to support U.S. growth and demand for the next 200 years*. (*See Oil Petroleum Institute.) We simply need to stop shipping 100% of it to Japan. I'm ordering my new King Ranch next week!

Skydiver in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

44 months ago

I have some of the same questions that did not get real clear answers about the hiring process. I got my automotive technician degree and have been working in the field for about 4 years now. I have a very strong background in mechanical/electrical/and hydraulic areas. I have been skydiving for some time now so saftey is important to me and i have no fear of the climb but respect the saftey procedures greatly. I have been applying for some entry level postions with my background but no luck yet. I would like to know a little more about how long it takes to be contacted and if anyone has gotten a position with no wind energy experience but a very strong mechanical background? ( in the description of the position this is all that is required) Becoming a traveling lead technician for Vestas is my ultimate goal. I understand that Vestas has thier own training programs with i would perfer, but if i do not hear back from them i will be making my reservations at CWT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heath in Lawrenceburg, Tennessee

44 months ago

I was wondering if someone 19 with little work experience (non in this field) could find jobs in the field by just getting the certificates by California Wind Tech, or are you expected to have background experience while before attending CWT? How respected is CWT?

Also, are the skills acquired as a wind turbine tech easily transferable to other related fields? How much room for advancement do wind turbine techs have?

43 months ago

It is very calm and quiet around here. I would also like to hear input on how much these month long certificate courses can help someone with zero experience in the industry. How do they compare to two year community college type courses?
239Between CRT and AR, I've gathered that AR has the advantage with their climbing course. Otherwise it looks like it depends on prior relevant experience and clean background checks. Does that seem about right?

texasboy in Shelby, Montana

42 months ago

I went to Airstreams in February of this year. I am 24 years old, no exp. in the field, landed a job in Montana this month. I say because the wind energy field is relatively new, these 1-month programs will suit you just fine. Airstreams has job-placement as well, but you should still strive to talk to these companies yourself...goodluck!

Ferenc in Austin, Texas

42 months ago

Hey Mike,
Wondering what avenues you have taken besides sending out resumes? Seems like most of us that have recently gotten certified are at best only getting phone interviews. Lots of recruiters saying that the market is flooded with resumes. My email is frici2000@msn.com, maybe we can communicate a bit?
Thanks, F.

Jana

42 months ago

JasmineJoyce in Bloomington, Illinois said: I am currently enrolled in California Wind Tech with my mother, our course begins February 28th. It seems like this is a male dominated field, what are you thoughts on a female working as a Wind Turbine Tech?

Hi Joyce-

If possible, would like to know how things are going for you after attending CWT. I am also looking at attending and am female.

Thanks so much.

-Jana

charles

42 months ago

I’ve been looking for career paths to take when I get out of the military and have seen a lot of job postings for a wind turbine tech. I would like to know if this is a smart choice? I’m guessing a starting position is a "class III"? what is the best way to get started? I’ve seen lots of schools that over a associates degree and some that over certificates, read some people say to just get some electrical training and osha certs. a lot of the job listings say a degree or work experience or both. Not going to be able to do any free internship time as the bills wont pay them selves. A little back round on myself… I’m a old man at the age of 38. Was a assistant project manager for a custom home builder building homes for the rich and shameless when the housing market crashed. Joined the army in 08, hunted Taliban in 09/10 looking to get out at the end of 11. Been working my whole life and never found the time or patience for college. been looking at this program at redstone, does anyone know anything about them? i would like to get to work asap, but if i'm using my gi bill i might as well get a degree and maybe a step up.

42 months ago

Charles... I'm an old man too!... I'm in the midst of a career change also and I have some suggestions for you since I am considering a wind energy/turbine tech training program as well... If you would e-mail me at jehainesinc@gmail.com I am willing to share what I have learned these past months, including my discussion with AWEA in Washington, D.C., which resulted in my final decision for the school I have selected... By your description, you have several positive things going for you... Feel free to contact me at your convenience... John

charles

42 months ago

John...e-mail sent. Thanks charles

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.