How to get a career? 48/f/divorced

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Wendy in Richmond, British Columbia

48 months ago

I'm tired of living on welfare and want to do something with my life, not just get old and die. Im 48 years old, with a high school diploma. How can i get a career? What is the term for those courses/school i can take? Would making 1500+ be likely?

Please help...what can i do to get a career. I don't wanna live all my life like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

The quickest route for you in a career is sales or maybe real estate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

susan in El Paso, Texas

48 months ago

what are you interested in...i would start there...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama

48 months ago

What do you want to do? What skills do you have right now? 1500+ what? A week, a month? Where do you want to work? Have you applied for jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

@mary: are you talking about general job experiance or taking a course in it, if so, which?

@susan: money really...lol. If i had a few options i would narrow it down to something i liked :)

@YorkiePud: 1500 a MONTH. Kind of made me think of one of those popups lol...mom earns 1500 a week working for google! :). I know i can get a job as a cashier or something (have odd jobs under my belt) but looking to start a career in nursing for example

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

For real estate you can take a ten-week real estate course, then take the test to be licensed. For sales, look for sales jobs. If you have a knack for sales, you can do quite well. Look for car salesman jobs and push to get hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

susan in El Paso, Texas

48 months ago

i would look at technical schools if your interested in nursing...you could also check out the nursing programs at community college..there are many areas of nursing ......we could tell you many options but you need to look within yourself to answer what you like to do an what your interested in....

you could always join the military...unfortnately in todays market your competing with people who have masters degrees years of experience ...for that walmart job down the street ..its tough..godd luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

If you want to be a nurse, you will have to go to school. Don't set your bar too high for yourself. And I'm not trying to say you can't, I'm just saying be realistic about your situation. No one starts in a new job or career at the top unless they have been in school or working in that industry for years. Don't turn down jobs you think are beneath you, everyone has to start somewhere.

48 months ago

So what are the schools called that offer these kind of real world career jobs? I mean im trying to differentiate from the ones that are meant for high school students that move on.

Do i only need to take a course then start working at a job or is there other stuff you need to do after a course to start a career in it?

Any other fields besides Dentistry, Nursing, Health Care and Real Estate come to mind?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

If I were you, I would look into this on my own. I'm not understanding why you are asking questions you could easily answer for yourself if you would take the time to research. It's YOUR job to find YOUR career, not ours.

I'm just wondering, if you can't be bothered to even do a simple Google search how are you going to get a job?

I'm not trying to be mean, but employers and colleges want someone to take initiative not someone who wants everyone to do their jobs for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

@YorkiePud - Like the first question in the post before yours, i don't know the term for this. It would be important to know what the schools and courses are even called. That's a vital question, not a "lazy" one.

As for the second that's from experience. Of course I've checked courses offered everywhere like Everest but that's something you need to know, "NO you can't just take a course and jump into a career" instead of doing 2 years of schooling and finding out the hard way...it's something people with knowledge on the matter would mean alot for instead of making all those mistakes. And I've done a lot of Google searches thanks.

All in all that's ridicules Yorkie. This isn't "how to build a desk". If you don't wanna help that's totally fine but don't make it out be righteous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

What Wendy is asking is, what work can she do that will help her earn a living fairly quickly. There is nothing wrong with asking that.

If you have a knack for sales, are a people person, you can do great in sales. Look and age are not relevant.

48 months ago

Sounds like you're asking everyone else to answer questions you could answer yourself. It's not ridiculous at all for someone to do some legwork in finding their own job. I'm not righteous at all, I am realistic. You don't even know what you want to do, which is fine, but it's your job to figure that out. Take a few of those job personality tests, make a list of your skills and what you like to do compared to what jobs are out there. I'm sure you can think of some on your own. There is no special term, it's just *insert career here* school. What can you do to get a career? Get off your backside and go look. Just like everyone else. Visit a community college, look at your local paper to see what jobs are out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

susan in El Paso, Texas

48 months ago

honestly there are not many jobs you can make good money with just a high school diploma and no experience...you could try waitressing....you might be able to make the amount you said you wanted to make $1500....

48 months ago

Thanks again susan. Yeah i've worked at jobs like that but its not a job so much im looking for, is getting a degree from somewhere and advancing in that, you know? Could i just get a degree from community college and jump in the field? Seems to simple lol. What are those schools like Everett called..

susan in El Paso, Texas

48 months ago

just depends on what you choose...but given the economy the way it is there are no guarantee no what you choose.

socialwkr in Missouri

48 months ago

Wendy in Richmond, British Columbia said: I'm tired of living on welfare and want to do something with my life, not just get old and die. Im 48 years old, with a high school diploma. How can i get a career? What is the term for those courses/school i can take? Would making 1500+ be likely?

Please help...what can i do to get a career. I don't wanna live all my life like this.

Does your local welfare office provide job assistance? You may want to contact a caseworker.

skye in Bellevue, Washington

48 months ago

If you want to enjoy your life and you already enjoy people.... If you are willing to relocate and dont have child rearing issues and if money is not am issue.... Flight Attendant. Only people skills required. Just need to sell yourself. Great life. Great career. You're never too old to try. Many airlines still hiring. Your new life awaits.

OldandSad in Saddle Brook, New Jersey

48 months ago

Wendy in Richmond, British Columbia said: I'm tired of living on welfare and want to do something with my life, not just get old and die. Im 48 years old, with a high school diploma. How can i get a career? What is the term for those courses/school i can take? Would making 1500+ be likely?

I am not sure I have the answer right now. Perhaps get financial aid for a two year degree in a field. Are you eligible for financial aid where you live? What are you interested in? Please know, that others have made successes out of their life who have been in the same dilemma. You are on your way out of your current situation. This is because you have the desire to better yourself. Inch by inch it's a cynch.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.