How to get more experience when you have very little experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

caitallica in Texas

1 month ago

I graduated last year with a B.S in Environmental Science, I am having a hard time landing a job in the field. There are plenty of "entry" level jobs that I can apply for, its just that I don't quite meet the experience requirements for many of the jobs. I apply anyway to see what happens. How can new graduates gain more experience to land entry level jobs? It's frustrating...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

1 month ago

caitallica in Texas said: I graduated last year with a B.S in Environmental Science, I am having a hard time landing a job in the field. There are plenty of "entry" level jobs that I can apply for, its just that I don't quite meet the experience requirements for many of the jobs. I apply anyway to see what happens. How can new graduates gain more experience to land entry level jobs? It's frustrating...

This is a huge problem since entry level often requires 3 years of experience as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cal in Bethel Park, Pennsylvania

1 month ago

I noticed that too. Looking for "entry level" with 3-5 years experience requirements, doesn't quite seem like entry level.

Basically my campus career services said it was all about internships. I missed the boat on that one too(was already working full time during most of undergrad).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Razgriz in Anchorage, Alaska

1 month ago

That's another thing I hate is the line from career services and others about internship. Those are very competitive too and aren't easy to get.

youdontkillmoney in Los Angeles, California

1 month ago

Razgriz in Anchorage, Alaska said: That's another thing I hate is the line from career services and others about internship. Those are very competitive too and aren't easy to get.

^^^^
That's how it is usually done, I did volunteer work/interns while in school until someone took a chance on me to hire me full time

caitallica in Texas

1 month ago

yeah I did a summer internship, and I did some volunteering. but not quite enough to get the experience employers are looking for :/ if I wasn't so busy with homework and classes throughout my time at college, I would have thought about volunteering for professors more often.

so for now I'm stuck at a minimum wage job, until I can find a job to make use of my degree with.

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

1 month ago

youdontkillmoney in Los Angeles, California said: ^^^^
That's how it is usually done, I did volunteer work/interns while in school until someone took a chance on me to hire me full time

My daughter's friend just got an internship with a social services agency. She says about 25% of the people there are unpaid interns.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.