How to get more experience when you have very little experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

caitallica in Texas

20 months ago

I graduated last year with a B.S in Environmental Science, I am having a hard time landing a job in the field. There are plenty of "entry" level jobs that I can apply for, its just that I don't quite meet the experience requirements for many of the jobs. I apply anyway to see what happens. How can new graduates gain more experience to land entry level jobs? It's frustrating...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

20 months ago

caitallica in Texas said: I graduated last year with a B.S in Environmental Science, I am having a hard time landing a job in the field. There are plenty of "entry" level jobs that I can apply for, its just that I don't quite meet the experience requirements for many of the jobs. I apply anyway to see what happens. How can new graduates gain more experience to land entry level jobs? It's frustrating...

This is a huge problem since entry level often requires 3 years of experience as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cal in Bethel Park, Pennsylvania

20 months ago

I noticed that too. Looking for "entry level" with 3-5 years experience requirements, doesn't quite seem like entry level.

Basically my campus career services said it was all about internships. I missed the boat on that one too(was already working full time during most of undergrad).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Razgriz in Anchorage, Alaska

20 months ago

That's another thing I hate is the line from career services and others about internship. Those are very competitive too and aren't easy to get.

youdontkillmoney in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

Razgriz in Anchorage, Alaska said: That's another thing I hate is the line from career services and others about internship. Those are very competitive too and aren't easy to get.

^^^^
That's how it is usually done, I did volunteer work/interns while in school until someone took a chance on me to hire me full time

caitallica in Texas

20 months ago

yeah I did a summer internship, and I did some volunteering. but not quite enough to get the experience employers are looking for :/ if I wasn't so busy with homework and classes throughout my time at college, I would have thought about volunteering for professors more often.

so for now I'm stuck at a minimum wage job, until I can find a job to make use of my degree with.

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

20 months ago

youdontkillmoney in Los Angeles, California said: ^^^^
That's how it is usually done, I did volunteer work/interns while in school until someone took a chance on me to hire me full time

My daughter's friend just got an internship with a social services agency. She says about 25% of the people there are unpaid interns.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.