how to give a two week notice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Frank DeFilippi in New Hampshire

44 months ago

Greetings-
I'm in need of some advice on this subject. I work for a high tech large company, and last week I got a job offer and signed the proper paper work. The problem I have and need advise on is, my manager at my current job is out on a 2 week vacation, and I need to give notice today. So who should I give notice to? HR, my manager's boss (who is all so out)?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas

44 months ago

HR sounds like the best way to go.

Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

44 months ago

Present the signed hard copy to HR. Send an email to your boss and cc the boss's boss. Cover all bases.

Do this after you have removed all your personal effects from your cube/office. Be ready to head out on a moment's notice. Some firms won't do that to you, but a security-conscious organization will.

Good luck in your new job.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

But be sure to email your boss as well.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

But Brat,

He's not going to clear out his work space for two weeks.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

44 months ago

Almost Suicidal in San Antonio, Texas said: But Brat,

He's not going to clear out his work space for two weeks.

Hopefully his company will let him finish out his two weeks after he gives his notice.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Good advice, I'll give notice to HR. When I talk to them, I'll bring up the issues if I should let my boss know now or wait until she comes back from vacation. I don't want to ruin her family time, shes a nice person. In addition I'll ask if I should mention my notice to my bosses boss or not.
In regards to clearing out my office, I all ready done that, because I've seen people walked out of the building at previous jobs I've been at.

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Well, if they cut him loose, he can enjoy a little time off. Here's hoping the new offer is solid!

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina said: Present the signed hard copy to HR. Send an email to your boss and cc the boss's boss. Cover all bases.

Do this after you have removed all your personal effects from your cube/office. Be ready to head out on a moment's notice. Some firms won't do that to you, but a security-conscious organization will.

Good luck in your new job.

I agree.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Hoffman Estates, Illinois

44 months ago

This is my dream scenario!

One other piece of advice - come up with a transition plan and take it upon yourself to get your coworkers up to speed on your work. As nice as your boss may be, she's going to feel like she was left high and dry and wasn't able to adequately transition your duties since she was out. Why burn bridges?

Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

So some upates. I talked to HR they where very pleasant about it. They did say I do have to get intouch with my manager via email or phone. So I emailed my manager but she will not have any service for two weeks, then I called and left a message on her cellphone, but I was told she vacationing in a area where cell phone service will not be active. So then I went back to HR and told them this and now there at a loss on wat to do.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

Frank DeFilippi in New Hampshire said: So some upates. I talked to HR they where very pleasant about it. They did say I do have to get intouch with my manager via email or phone. So I emailed my manager but she will not have any service for two weeks, then I called and left a message on her cellphone, but I was told she vacationing in a area where cell phone service will not be active. So then I went back to HR and told them this and now there at a loss on wat to do.

That's HR's problem. You have done everything required. Just document where and when.

Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

44 months ago

Frank DeFilippi in New Hampshire said: So some upates. I talked to HR they where very pleasant about it. They did say I do have to get intouch with my manager via email or phone. So I emailed my manager but she will not have any service for two weeks, then I called and left a message on her cellphone, but I was told she vacationing in a area where cell phone service will not be active. So then I went back to HR and told them this and now there at a loss on wat to do.

There is no law that you have to give a two-week notice. The "At Will" legislation got rid of it. However, it is still a strong tradition.

You have done all that is required of you.

Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: That's HR's problem. You have done everything required. Just document where and when.

Seconded. I'd send your official letter of resignation to them via email and request a read receipt.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.