A good problem to have... but I'd still appreciate some advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

James in Denville, New Jersey

25 months ago

I'm going to make the story of my situation as brief as possible. I have a job offer on the table with one company (Company A), and I can potentially have another offer on the table with another company (Company B) within the coming days. After months of searching for a job and coming up empty, I've finally hit some luck!

Company A is through a temp agency, so there is no guarantee that it will go permanent. The job is for a highly recognized company in an excellent industry that is growing rapidly (rare these days). I believe working here will look excellent on my resume. However, this is only a "temp" position (I was told 6 months). There is the "possibility" of it going permanent, but there's no guarantee (and from everything I heard from friends, these things rarely go permanent, no matter how well you do). There are no benefits or perks (unless it goes permanent after 6 months). The pay is about the same as Company B.

Company B is through a personal contact of mine. Though I haven't gotten the offer yet, I'm in the running to get it. It is a permanent position with EXCELLENT benefits and perks. The main downside is the fact that the company isn't highly known (they don't even have a website), and my exact job position is probably "less sexy" than the one from Company A (it won't look as good on my resume). The industry is fine.

I guess neither position exactly mirrors what I went to school for, but it's close enough. I feel that I would do well in either role. Driving distance is about the same.

Obviously if I don't get the offer at Company B, then the choice is pretty clear. My question... if I do get the offer at Company B, which one should I take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

25 months ago

Take B if it's there. Permament.

I'm happy for you. What kind of job are both of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Investor Guy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

This is a tough choice. Brand name recognition does go a long way on one's resume. I worked for an ivy league University and it has helped me get many interviews over the years. I would have had a job by now but I found out one of my references from that University was bad mouthing me! I've since corrected that problem and expect I will land the next job I interview for in a few weeks. Even though it is a gamble I would go with the more widely recognized company if you are still early in your career. The fact you only work there a short time won't hurt you if you signed on as a temp. If you are later in your career and looking to park yourself somewhere then go with company B if you get an offer since it is permanent and it is much harder to get jobs as you get older.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

For God's sake, man. Seriously? If you have your choice, you go for Company B. It's a landslide. Why? Permanency and benefits.

Company A, I wouldn't even call Company A. It's through a temp agency. It could end at any time. The chances of it going perm (despite what the temp agency will blow up your backside) aren't all that high. No benefits. Likely lower pay. Likely less respect.

It's a no brainer, pal.

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

A few other things.

If you take the perm job and happen to get laid off, then you could very well qualify for unemployment or a cash payout from the employer. You'll have neither from the temp job.

Also, I feel that whatever prestige is attached to Company A will not attach to you. You will have no cachet from working there as a temp. It might be good experience and may result in a reference gained, but I doubt very much that saying you temped at the Best Company Ever is going to carry much weight just based on their name.

I temped at some pretty prestigious firms back in the day. It got me absolutely nothing other than a resume filler and a bit of experience. It got me nothing else because it was temp work.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

25 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: For God's sake, man. Seriously? If you have your choice, you go for Company B. It's a landslide. Why? Permanency and benefits.

Company A, I wouldn't even call Company A. It's through a temp agency. It could end at any time. The chances of it going perm (despite what the temp agency will blow up your backside) aren't all that high. No benefits. Likely lower pay. Likely less respect.

It's a no brainer, pal.

Amen, I couldn't have said it any better brother. I wouldn't trust the recruiter in regards to them saying it could go to perm. And besides, do you really want to be looking for a job again when this one ends.

Too bad you couldn't talk to employees working for this company and ask them how many times a person in this position (temp) went to perm.

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

25 months ago

I'd take the permanent position all day, myself. Unless the temp job was being personal assistant for Anne Hathaway. Assuming that's not the case, yes....permanent position all day. =D

Joe Gagill in Loch Sheldrake, New York

25 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I'd take the permanent position all day, myself. Unless the temp job was being personal assistant for Anne Hathaway. Assuming that's not the case, yes....permanent position all day. =D

I'd preferred Jenna Jamerson.

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

25 months ago

I have a thing for women who have mousy features. Big eyes, small nose, toothy grins. I've noticed it across famous women that I like. Anne, Natalie Dormer, Jessica Pare... I think I may have some latent issues somewhere =D

25 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I have a thing for women who have mousy features. Big eyes, small nose, toothy grins. I've noticed it across famous women that I like. Anne, Natalie Dormer, Jessica Pare... I think I may have some latent issues somewhere =D

Sounds like it would make a good Seinfeld episode.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

25 months ago

Joe Gagill in Loch Sheldrake, New York said: Sounds like it would make a good Seinfeld episode.

Seinfeld is off the air, perhaps you should start a new series......

25 months ago

John in Catonsville, Maryland said: Seinfeld is off the air, perhaps you should start a new series......

Ok, "Nicky and Minny."

Get it??? Change the N.

25 months ago

Ha Ha Ha

John in Catonsville, Maryland

25 months ago

Why did Minny leave Micky?

(answer not fit to print, but it has something to with Goofy)

Why can't Miss Piggy count to 100?

Every time she gets to 69, she gets a frog in her throat.....

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.