jobs for shy introverts?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

fallennietzsche in Royersford, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

I'm 18 years old and will be attending community college in the fall. Graduating 12th grade this year. My SAT scores, if relevant, 680 math, 650 reading, and 690 writing. I'm currently unemployed.

So I'm shy, I get nervous when talking, and I'm introverted. I'm not sure, but I might have Asperger's. I once had a temporary job at Marshalls as a clerk. I was able to interact with customers, but I always felt myself getting nervous and stressed out whenever I was "on the spot": a customer needing help to find something, price checks, etc. And I always had to build up some courage before greeting customers in my part of the store. Somehow I was able to hold the job for three months, w/o any complaints or getting yelled at. I was laid off since, as I said, it was a holiday temp. job.

I don't like people. I don't like their tastes. I don't like talking to people since they pretty much gossip. I don't like how people think. I'm a misanthrope; an outcast. (I have a small circle of friends, and I like it that way. None of my friends are "normal", and neither am I.) So I need a job where I'm not *always* interacting with the people, and almost no interaction with the outside.

I know that interacting with people is inevitable, and I guess I'm capable to an extent (having worked at Marshalls), but it's extremely stressful for me, so I want jobs where interaction with people is at a minimum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

In the future, I want to live alone w/ three cats. So $40,000/yr. is kind of a necessity. For now, though, any pay is acceptable since I live with my parents.

With all that being said, any suggestions?

What about these...
-driver
-morgue
-data entry
-screen writer (don't even know what this is)
-freelance writer
-housekeeper
-insurance underwriter/underwriting assistant
-cataloging
-zoo(keeper)
-medical coding
-truck driver (note: I can't lift > 50 pounds)
-taxi driver
-transcriptionist
-air traffic controller
-other
???????? (prospects, skills, pay, stress, etc.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Mailman in Mason, Ohio

32 months ago

Take Computer Science when you get to school.

You definitely sound like programmer material!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

James in Rolla, Missouri

32 months ago

Yeah, computer science will be a good choice. Later, you can find a job at Microsoft.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

A in Cream Ridge, New Jersey

32 months ago

I looked in a Zoology degree and being a Zookeeper, doesn't make much money. I know some people with it that barely rake in 30k, so I don't think that is what you're looking for. If you can handle the science, I agree about going into Computer Science.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vinigrette in Irvine, California

32 months ago

I would recommend checking out Actuarial programs if you are at least somewhat good with math (statistics, specifically). Lots and lots of shy introverts in the field and good money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Aren't actuaries unemployed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Shiva in San Francisco, California

32 months ago

Fallen,
An underwriting assistant should not be an introvert. I am an underwriting assistant. You need to correspond on the phone, confer with the underwriters, and other departments like claims and accounting. This is a pro-active role these days. I would think an introvert job would be a truck driver, who drives all day without talking much with anyone while on the road. What kind of job do you have?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shiva in San Francisco, California

32 months ago

I can understand being shy, as I used to be that way. To find a job, one needs to figure out your gifts and skills. If you don't want to be an introvert forever, try joining a small group for a hobby, where you can get to know a few people and make some friends. More confidence is what you need. If you like to read books, join a book club. Find something where you can express yourself in something you enjoy or feel strongly about. Start with small groups first, which will give you a chance to get to know people, and work up to different things. This is what I did. Joining a club helps you to feel like you belong. College campuses have a lot of clubs. You can also join a small group to help you study in your classes. Volunteer for working at the library or something like that. You need to interact with people to feel more comfortable. Don't settle for some introvert job in something that may not be your dream job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Reductolol in Middletown, Connecticut

32 months ago

I'm like you. Except I have no friends and lost them because I wanted to be by myself all the time. You seem kind of pretentious, like a young me. Animal lover too.
People are people. Not good not bad. I am disinterested in them but I realize we are social creatures and we thrive and progress by working with and helping each other. So just know that.
You need to get over the anxiety. I used to be like you. Now, I can talk and interact with anyone but I PREFER not to. I don't like to. So it's not that I cannot, it's that I don't want to!
I'm not trying to be mean, but it's reality.

Now for careers. Computer careers, animal careers are 2 that I think are the best so look within those.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

dude in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

Insurance underwriting is a sales job. You wouldn't like it. Could get a BS in biology/chemistry and work in a lab. Truck driver is an option, but you will always be away from family. Air traffic is really stressful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pdaddy in Lakewood, New Jersey

26 months ago

fallennietzsche in Royersford, Pennsylvania said: I'm 18 years old and will be attending community college in the fall. Graduating 12th grade this year. My SAT scores, if relevant, 680 math, 650 reading, and 690 writing. I'm currently unemployed.

So I'm shy, I get nervous when talking, and I'm introverted. I'm not sure, but I might have Asperger's. I once had a temporary job at Marshalls as a clerk . I was able to interact with customers, but I always felt myself getting nervous and stressed out whenever I was "on the spot": a customer needing help to find something, price checks, etc. And I always had to build up some courage before greeting customers in my part of the store. Somehow I was able to hold the job for three months, w/o any complaints or getting yelled at. I was laid off since, as I said, it was a holiday temp. job.

I don't like people. I don't like their tastes. I don't like talking to people since they pretty much gossip. I don't like how people think. I'm a misanthrope; an outcast. (I have a small circle of friends, and I like it that way. None of my friends are "normal", and neither am I.) So I need a job where I'm not *always* interacting with the people, and almost no interaction with the outside.

I know that interacting with people is inevitable, and I guess I'm capable to an extent (having worked at Marshalls), but it's extremely stressful for me, so I want jobs where interaction with people is at a minimum.

Oh my god.... you just summed up my life!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

J.D. Lynch in Bolingbrook, Illinois

22 months ago

I would love to do truck driving, but even as misanthropic as I am it has to be lonely as hell being on the road for several weeks. I'd suggest anything related to the environment, but as to what exactly that would be jobwise, frankly I'd like to know myself.

[twocents]
I find it infuriating when I'm on these forums and see an OP describing their situation, only to have other posters respond with be more extroverted and less shy. Much easier said than done. And frankly, I'm fine with my group of a few people.

[/mytwocents]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.