How long should I stay at my job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

I want to be a good worker in Connecticut

9 months ago

I've been at my first job for 7 months and I want to leave. I'd leave now if I could. But I'm wondering if it's too soon to leave (it will look bad on my resume if I don't stay at the job for long enough).

It's not that I don't like the job. It's that I want to move. The main reason I took the job was so I could save up money for my move (and also to build up a work history before I move out on my own).

By now I have enough money to move. But I want to know how much longer I should stay at the job for my resume's sake. I'm leaving no later than summer 2014, but I'd like to leave even sooner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

eagertofly in Belfast, United Kingdom

9 months ago

My suggestion is to stay for at least one year. That is not the answer you probably want to hear and maybe you can not quite make it that long. But try as hard as you can. The reason is the longer you have this job the better it looks for when you apply for jobs where you are going.

Also have you checked out where you are moving too and looked up jobs, places to rent/buy etc. Also the more money you have for the move the better. Have you also considered getting a mailbox where you are moving to that way perspective employers will see a local address. You can also get a mail forwarding as well. This can all be done on the phone anyway it is worth a shot. Good luck :).

Duck! in Fresh Meadows, New York

9 months ago

Do you already have a job lined up in your new place of residence? If yes, then go ahead and leave your current job and just make sure to stay at your new job for a good chunk of time; that will offset the quick departure from your current job.

If you don't have a job lined up, then stay put for at least a year, during which time you can research career opportunities in you field at your new location, begin applying for jobs, etc. You can also think about taking courses or certifications to beef up your resume. Basically, since you like your current job, stay there and try to build up your credentials and experience so you'll be in the best position to get a job at your new location.

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

9 months ago

Stick it out until January if possible. When you do your resume up, use years without months. This gets past the scanners looking for someone who stayed at a company for less than a year. 2013 (dash) 2014 looks like 2 years to Taleo. And it looks like a phone number to indeed.

F indeed.

Bluetea in Texas

9 months ago

I want to be a good worker in Connecticut said: I've been at my first job for 7 months and I want to leave. I'd leave now if I could. But I'm wondering if it's too soon to leave (it will look bad on my resume if I don't stay at the job for long enough).

It's not that I don't like the job. It's that I want to move. The main reason I took the job was so I could save up money for my move (and also to build up a work history before I move out on my own).

By now I have enough money to move. But I want to know how much longer I should stay at the job for my resume's sake. I'm leaving no later than summer 2014, but I'd like to leave even sooner.

It can't always be helped but the only time you should leave your job is if you have a better one lined up or they stop talking to you at work. In case of the latter, your job will soon be leaving you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Reanna in Saint Louis, Missouri

9 months ago

It does look better the longer you stay at a job, but moving is a valid reason for quitting in the eyes of most employers. I moved from Arkansas to Missouri and to show why I quit that job I notated that it was in Arkansas on my resume next to the date.

HireMe13 in Lynchburg, Virginia

8 months ago

I agree with the previous post about having a local address on your resume. I am in a similar situation that you are and was not having much luck when I had my local address on my resume. Once I changed my address to a family member who lives in the same area that I want to work in, I started receiving a fair share of phone calls about bringing in for an interview. I have been to a few interviews but it is tough taking off time at my current job and traveling 3 hours for an interview. I wish you luck and I would definitely suggest getting a local address.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.