How long to wait for a recruiter to find something?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Nordim in New York, New York

19 months ago

Hi,

So in my line of work it is common, in fact accepted practice, to find most jobs through recruitment agencies. I was recently laid off and am looking for new opportunities now. I have read everywhere how it is best to work with only a few, like 3 or so, recruiters at a time and not blast your resume to a dozen agencies. Once I talk to someone and set up a communication channel, the recruiter usually asks for some time to find a good fit for me. My question is how much time should I be giving him/her to find something for me before I mentally strike him off the list and move onto another guy? Also should I actually tell them to stop looking for me and then go to someone else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York

19 months ago

Don't actually tell them to stop looking for you. Use these people. These people are not your friends, always remember that. They can't be trusted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

19 months ago

The answer is zero seconds.

Never wait for them. Never trust them. Never anything them. Never. Never, ever.

Hope that helps.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

19 months ago

You DO NOT wait. You act as your own "recruiter." You spend your time researching employers and directly contacting those in which you're interested via letters of interest and resumes. You apply directly to employers who have openings. You work your contacts if you are a believer in networking. You DO NOT rely on recruiters. Recruiters are NOT to be relied upon as providers of employment.

It is realized people employed in some fields, such as engineering, depend on recruiters to find them work. That does NOT mean you do not conduct your own job search.

Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

19 months ago

Don't wait, but DO be cautious about submitting your resume for specific reqs; it's very common for several agencies to have the same listing. If your resume gets submitted by two more agencies simultaneously, you just got yourself blackballed on top of losing out on the job.

Don't ever ask them to stop looking for you. But don't ever rely on a recruiter or anyone else to find you a job. Recruiters are just the gateway to some jobs. But it's not their job to find you a job, it's their job to fill reqs. You should still be looking on your own time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

19 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Don't wait, but DO be cautious about submitting your resume for specific reqs; it's very common for several agencies to have the same listing. If your resume gets submitted by two more agencies simultaneously, you just got yourself blackballed on top of losing out on the job.

Don't ever ask them to stop looking for you. But don't ever rely on a recruiter or anyone else to find you a job. Recruiters are just the gateway to some jobs. But it's not their job to find you a job, it's their job to fill reqs. You should still be looking on your own time.

Many companies will outsource the same position to several recruiters and let them beat the bushes. My last employer did that.

Jeff in Suitland, Maryland

19 months ago

Recruiters work for the employer. They don't work for you. They are basically an extension of the employer's HR dept. Their job is to find people whom the employer might be interested in. Their job is not to market you. It doesn't matter to them whether you get hired or someone else they presented to the employer gets hired.

Nordim in New York, New York

19 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Don't wait, but DO be cautious about submitting your resume for specific reqs; it's very common for several agencies to have the same listing. If your resume gets submitted by two more agencies simultaneously, you just got yourself blackballed on top of losing out on the job.

Thanks to everybody for their replies. I am definitely reaching out to my network and conducting my own search as well. And I definitely have no misconceptions about whose side the recruiters are on :-)

The above statement by Jenab is really my main concern while working with recruiters though. How do you avoid a crossing of wires? Not sure if there is a strategy to avoid that.
Lets say I saw a similar sounding req, call it X, from two agencies A and B, and I approach A for that specifically. A couple days later I can approach B for any other non specific req. but what if he forwards it for X directly and I lose out on X as well as lose priority from A and B. That really is the scenario I am trying to avoid.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.