What masters or associate degree should I pursue? (BS in biomechanics)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Jared in Missoula, Montana

35 months ago

I have a BS in Biomechanics and I'm thinking of returning to school. I have taken the GRE and scored quite high and I have a 3.4 gpa from my BS. I graduated in 2004. I do have some physical limitations. I have a hearing loss and I have a bad back from 10 years of working as a concrete finisher.

So far I have looked into studying respiratory therapy, radiation therapy, physical therapy, Physicians assistant, exercise physiology , health education, dietitian and occupational therapy and have mostly ran into dead ends.

It seems that you must have good hearing to be a respiratory therapist or radiation therapist. Certified heath education and exercise physiology jobs are hard to come by and are being replaced by RN's in the job market. PT and PA schools will want me to retake all the pre-recs(+2 years) since they are over 5 years old and then that doesn't guarantee being accepted. So that leaves becoming a dietician or an occupational therapist.

I'm leaning more toward becoming a dietician as my research into occupation therapy has led me to conclude that many OT's get burned out by their job. However, to become a dietician I need to take many pre-recs in nutrition and bio-chem, which would take at least a year unless I'm able to take them along with my first year masters classes, which I do not think is possible. So far this seems the best avenue, but I'd like to find a career the I could complete in 2 years and find a job that pays decent(40k+). At first I thought this wouldn't be hard with my GRE score and GPA, but I'm starting to find out this is not the case.

Any suggestions for other careers that I should investigate are greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

charles shutt12 in California, United States minor outlying islands

30 months ago

Good choices! You want to work in the healthcare industry and let me tell you jobs in healthcare are currently in-demand so earning a degree in this field would do you good. I’m reviewing colleges for a healthcare degree myself and right now I’m looking into the programs offered by Stevens Henager College. Why don’t you consider a Bachelor’s program in healthcare or nursing administration, health information management, or even physical and occupational therapy?.I think the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ website is reliable and I refer to it whenever I need to clarify any doubts about what kinds of jobs I could get and how much I could make in the field of healthcare. Good luck with your career.
see: indeed.com/cmp/Stevens--henager-College

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

30 months ago

charles shutt12 in California, United States minor outlying islands said: Good choices! You want to work in the healthcare industry and let me tell you jobs in healthcare are currently in-demand so earning a degree in this field would do you good. I’m reviewing colleges for a healthcare degree myself and right now I’m looking into the programs offered by Stevens Henager College. Why don’t you consider a Bachelor’s program in healthcare or nursing administration, health information management, or even physical and occupational therapy?.I think the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ website is reliable and I refer to it whenever I need to clarify any doubts about what kinds of jobs I could get and how much I could make in the field of healthcare. Good luck with your career.
see: indeed.com/cmp/Stevens--henager-College

WIKIPEDIA said: Stevens–Henager College, headquartered in Ogden, Utah, United States, North America, is a private, for-profit, coeducational college, owned by CollegeAmerica
This is clearly a school recruiter who is on commission to find students to fill up classes. Avoid for-profit schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jared in Great Falls, Montana

30 months ago

I've decided to do speech language pathology. Seems I can still do that with a hearing loss since mine is a low frequency loss and I'm going to aim to work in acute care with people with swallowing problems. Hoping it was the right choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.