miserable at work with no hope

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

joe in Montclair, New Jersey

25 months ago

i'm currently working a job where the writing has been on the wall for a few years that i'm getting laid off and now it seems to have increased. I've tried applying for over 800 jobs and I've had 2 interviews and 1 offer which I turned down for personal reasons. Lately, i've had recruiters call, do a phone screen and then thats it, I never hear back. I'm miserable at work, but at the same time, I need to hold onto this job because nothing is out there. I feel like i'm being slowly squeezed out and that a layoff is coming soon. I just want to know how bad is out there for everyone else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dani in Middletown, Delaware

25 months ago

That's got to be terrifying. I graduated from school 2 years ago and haven't been able to find work. I feel like part of it is my fault. I should have "networked" more in school and done more internships. Still, I have some work experience and a decent skill set, but I can't get in anywhere. Not as an administrative assistant (i.e. secretary), not as a bank teller, not as a $10/hour rep in a call center. I work in retail part-time and I don't know how much more I can take. When customers aren't pissing me off, management is and the pay is terrible. When I get decent hours, I can make maybe $800 a month at most. My student loan payments are $500 a month...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

I was in a similar situation, but I had more years in than you do. We all knew the end was coming for a couple years before it did too. Some people left for other jobs. Others were laid off. It wasn't the best environment to work in due to the constant uncertainty.

But you have to stay because the alternative is not having a job, not being able to get another one and losing everything you have, including any health insurance you have. Plus, it's harder to get a job when you don't have one. Employers would almost always take an employed person over an unemployed one due to the huge stigma HR people, recruiters and hiring managers seem to attach to the unemployed.

It truly sucks, and there are thousands, if not millions, out there in your shoes who are completely hogtied employment wise due to the jobs situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

today I felt like resigning, but that wouldnt be very smart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

findjob in North Carolina

25 months ago

joe in Montclair, New Jersey said: today I felt like resigning, but that wouldnt be very smart.

Try to hold on. I'm in the same situation. I have been applying for jobs but no call backs yet. It's brutal in the job market right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

You aren't alone.... Last time I looked for a job 2.5 years ago, I had 5 different offers to choose from! Now, with more experience and not asking for any more money than I did last time, I'm getting the automated HR rejections, screening calls that never materialize into more, and the occasional call back. Only one turned into an offer that I declined as it was a worse situation than what I'm trying to run from.

The icing on the cake was today, I had to interview someone for an opening at my current job. He showed up in jeans, a wrinkled shirt, and unshaven. For a $100k job. This is the guy HR lets through? How many did they reject out of hand?

It's so very hard not to get discouraged. I am now opening up my search nationwide. I'm willing to move my family to get away from this mess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

25 months ago

Did you try magnetic ads on your car like a person did recently here on Indeed
?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

25 months ago

joe in Montclair, New Jersey said: i'm currently working a job where the writing has been on the wall for a few years that i'm getting laid off and now it seems to have increased. I've tried applying for over 800 jobs and I've had 2 interviews and 1 offer which I turned down for personal reasons. Lately, i've had recruiters call, do a phone screen and then thats it, I never hear back. I'm miserable at work, but at the same time, I need to hold onto this job because nothing is out there. I feel like i'm being slowly squeezed out and that a layoff is coming soon. I just want to know how bad is out there for everyone else?

Wow Joe, I remember the feeling quite well. You are doing more than I ever did when I was waiting, no...more like hoping the lay-off I feared would never happen. It really is bad out there and you are doing nothing wrong. The fact that you have aggressively applied to as many places as you have shows that you doing everything possible.
I suppose the only suggestion I could make would be to let everyone in your life know you are looking. These days, it seems to be the only way anyone is finding work.
Case it point, I know of a young man that looked for 2 years after college and finally he ended up working for another friend of ours that does contracting work, even though he had NO background in that type of work. It's a far cry from what he had hoped for, but he's doing OK and making enough to get by.
Truly, this is the toughest economy I have ever known and so many of us are doing back flips to find something, anything. Please know that you are doing your best. Getting another good job these days is like winning the lottery.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.