heyyyyyy in Irvine, California

13 months ago

been actively looking for a month,,
5 interviews, nothing so far....
dont know how long it will last...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nebs in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

I'm not a recent grad but I'm also not that far out of college. 5 interviews in a month is not bad at all. In fact, that's a high volume for one month.

When I was just out of college, I would go months applying without hearing a thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JTS_Jr in New York

13 months ago

heyyyyyy in Irvine, California said: been actively looking for a month,,
5 interviews, nothing so far....
dont know how long it will last...

Hey your best bet for now is to NETWORK through LinkedIn. Trust me. I am a recent finance grad who was applying none stop and I was just feeling that this would last forever. Reach out to recruiters in your field, make your resumes visible on here, career builder, monster, etc. Trust me you don't realize how much recruiters can help. You will visit a lot and some will give you crap but some will really help you out. Right now if you can't find full time reaching out to recruiters can def. help, you need to also look into temp, temp to perm and contract positions. The market for those is going to grow over the next 30 years. A lot of the time if you perform well you will get hired permanently. What field are you in if I may ask?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Goneoffeverything in Virginia

13 months ago

JTS_Jr in New York said: Hey your best bet for now is to NETWORK through LinkedIn. Trust me. I am a recent finance grad who was applying none stop and I was just feeling that this would last forever. Reach out to recruiters in your field, make your resumes visible on here, career builder, monster, etc. Trust me you don't realize how much recruiters can help. You will visit a lot and some will give you crap but some will really help you out. Right now if you can't find full time reaching out to recruiters can def. help, you need to also look into temp, temp to perm and contract positions. The market for those is going to grow over the next 30 years. A lot of the time if you perform well you will get hired permanently. What field are you in if I may ask?

I here you, but "recruiters" have pretty much only recruited me bs thus far. Only time will tell I guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chelae in Canal Winchester, Ohio

11 months ago

You're not alone. I have a bachelors in business, graduated with honors, have customer service and admin experience yet I can't find an entry level job to start my career. It's been 9 months now. I get interviews and get far but they always end up picking someone with many years experience..

findjob in North Carolina

11 months ago

I graduated in August of this year. I have been applying for jobs nonstop since April. Close to 100 apps and two interviews. One job went with another candidate, the other job closed the position. So you are doing good with 5 interviews a month.

Eat ur lunch.

11 months ago

JTS_Jr in New York said: Hey your best bet for now is to NETWORK through LinkedIn. Trust me. I am a recent finance grad who was applying none stop and I was just feeling that this would last forever. Reach out to recruiters in your field, make your resumes visible on here, career builder, monster, etc. Trust me you don't realize how much recruiters can help. You will visit a lot and some will give you crap but some will really help you out. Right now if you can't find full time reaching out to recruiters can def. help, you need to also look into temp, temp to perm and contract positions. The market for those is going to grow over the next 30 years. A lot of the time if you perform well you will get hired permanently. What field are you in if I may ask?

Damn right. One time Linkedin gave me free premium account then every recruiters I contacted on Linkedin they call me few hours later then you can tell them why you are a good fit for the company.

HireMe13 in Lynchburg, Virginia

11 months ago

Graduated in May of this year and sort of took the first semi-professional job I was offered. I can't stand my job and have been applying to other positions since I started this job. I am a HR major looking to get a start in that field. My current job gives me some experience in it, but I need to move. I've apply or send out my resume to at least 6-10 places a day and have only had about 5 interviews since July. I just started using Linkedin and it has helped quite a bit in getting leads. Hoping to find something within the next month. Just don't give up. Every interview you go to, take notes and make sure you at least ask 3-5 questions. I always try to prep myself the night before which helps me from using the phrase "umm" alot. With taking notes during the interview you'll realize that they always ask you 6-8 common questions. This is a rough learning experience but it is worth it at the end.

William Gast in Burtonsville, Maryland

11 months ago

Chelae in Canal Winchester, Ohio said: You're not alone. I have a bachelors in business , graduated with honors, have customer service and admin experience yet I can't find an entry level job to start my career. It's been 9 months now. I get interviews and get far but they always end up picking someone with many years experience..

I seriously hate when companies do this. Post the job as entry-level, no experience required or preferred, yet they go with someone with 5+ years experience. Happens *way* too often.

Bluetea in Texas

11 months ago

William Gast in Burtonsville, Maryland said: I seriously hate when companies do this. Post the job as entry-level, no experience required or preferred, yet they go with someone with 5+ years experience. Happens *way* too often.

LOL! 5+ years of experience is entry-level today.

Very seldom will you see "No experience required" unless you are selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lol dont in Los Angeles, California

11 months ago

Not to mention, these days it's not even just experience but who you worked for before.

Carli Leavitt in San Diego, California

11 months ago

I'm not a recent grad either, but recently made a huge career change and I can tell you that some of the best jobs start as internships (usually paid). It seems a lot of companies are taking this route and they end up being great positions after a few months proving yourself at a lower wage. Just don't shy away when you hear internship - they are really a great way to get your foot in the door with a solid company and see where it goes.

Beth in Plano in Plano, Texas

11 months ago

General Electric has many paid internships at various businesses.... (healthcare, oil & gas, energy, power & water, aviation, ...etc) that they offer with the INTENTION of hiring you full-time only if you bust your @** and prove yourself.

Everyday you are going into a job interview and must give 100% .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.