should I transfer?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

ajag in Martinsburg, Missouri

10 months ago

So I've been at my current job for nearly 8 years. I've put lots of evergy into turning my workplace into what I want within the company guidelines. I love the job and the company mission. So I have a coworker who I work alongside the whole eek, with few breaks from. She doesn't fit the mission and I sometimes have to pull her weight to keep myself from being liable for her mistakes. She is difficult to work with and stresses me out. Most days she makes me cringe at something and other days I feel sick to my stomach deeling with her. She trigers my anxiety almost daily at this point. The thing is she is the newest in our building except for the boss. So my other coworkers think I should give the new boss a chance to resolve the issues. I'd like to do that, but I'm sure it will take some time if its even possible. So do I tansfer? I've interviewed for a similar position in the same company so the job duties will be very similar, just a diff setting. Also all current benefits and pay would transfer as well. My predicament is if I allow the new boss to resolve this it won't happen before I'm offered the new position. That decision will be made early next week. So if offered do I accept and leave behind an awesome team, and all I've built up just to avoid this one coworker? Or do I risk sticking it out and hope my mental health can hang in there long enough for this to be dealt with? Ugh. Any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

10 months ago

For all you know,she is going to go in and talk to him, and make it look like you are the problem. If he likes her, he will believe her.

Hang in there and get a feel for the new boss. Back up in writing (documentation) if you think it is necessary. This one coworkers, if it's a good work environment, may find herself out of a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

10 months ago

In many (if not all) work settings, there tends to be at least one "difficult" person. So, if you move to another department, chances are high that the same sort of thing happens.

Bottom line, try to stay put and make your present position work.

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

10 months ago

Well, if you got and accepted the new job, wouldn't you sort of be obligated to let your new boss know why you were leaving. That way if she fails when you are not there to support her, the door could possibly be open for you to return if you are not so happy with your new situation.

Seems like there have been several people here lately regretting a change...Just think things through...

KA2 in Sydney

9 months ago

It's a tough one.
You can list the pluses & negatives of transfering or staying. Then try to evaluate based on your list.

Questions that come to mind:
-If you stay in the same department do you have better chances of promotion or advancement?
-If you stay & your coworker doesn't change, can you handle it long term?

ajag in Eolia, Missouri

9 months ago

Well to update and answer your thoughts. We had our meetings separately and things have improved however our work loads are low so stress in general is lower. Come August that will change and I bet tensions will rise again. I'm fairly confident the new boss will stay on top of things, but how much stress will happen in the mean time? IDK. My current boss is aware I've applied and is supportive of whatever I choose. She meets with the other boss weekly so I'm sure she's also aware of all the reasons I applied besides just the reasons I gave her during the interview. I know the coworkers at the new position b/c we do monthly trainings with them and I have no concerns about them. To complicate matters I found out that a diff staff is switching companies, another staff is also trying to transfer, which would leave me with the coworker I dislike and two new staff. There are only 4 of us. So odds are I wouldn't have to work directly with her next year, but to be in a position where I'm the only one who knows the job, I'd still be pulling the weight of others for a bit longer. So much to think about. And yes chances of promotion are about the same either way and no I can't handle my coworker long term if I'm stuck with her and she doesn't change long term. But yeah the thought of maybe regretting this and not knowing is weighing heavily on my mind.

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

9 months ago

ajag in Martinsburg, Missouri said: So I've been at my current job for nearly 8 years. I've put lots of evergy into turning my workplace into what I want within the company guidelines. I love the job and the company mission. So I have a coworker who I work alongside the whole eek, with few breaks from. She doesn't fit the mission and I sometimes have to pull her weight to keep myself from being liable for her mistakes. She is difficult to work with and stresses me out. Most days she makes me cringe at something and other days I feel sick to my stomach deeling with her. She trigers my anxiety almost daily at this point. The thing is she is the newest in our building except for the boss. So my other coworkers think I should give the new boss a chance to resolve the issues. I'd like to do that, but I'm sure it will take some time if its even possible. So do I tansfer? I've interviewed for a similar position in the same company so the job duties will be very similar, just a diff setting. Also all current benefits and pay would transfer as well. My predicament is if I allow the new boss to resolve this it won't happen before I'm offered the new position. That decision will be made early next week. So if offered do I accept and leave behind an awesome team, and all I've built up just to avoid this one coworker? Or do I risk sticking it out and hope my mental health can hang in there long enough for this to be dealt with? Ugh. Any thoughts?

YES by all means transfer. My story was similar and I transferred to a different department. It wasn't much better, but it forced the people in my last department to have to pull their own weight.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.