As someone who can't do physical labor, what are my options?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

TL9124 in Tacoma, Washington

12 months ago

As the title said, I have bad back problems which really prevent me from doing typical warehouse type work, which seems to be all I can get right now. I'm 21, and have worked at Target for almost 2 years, and a Car Washer for a couple months. Both jobs I had to quit due to my back, I couldn't perform the job, especially at the pace they wanted me to. I've looked into Data Entry type jobs, but can't seem to land anything, even following up with in person applications and phone calls, nothing. I'm planning on going to school, but need at least another years worth of money to go. Could anyone help me out as to what jobs I should be looking for that a not so qualified 21 year old can do, that doesn't require physical labor? Thanks!

And I tried to transfer to a different position at Target, but nothing was open at the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

TL9124 in Tacoma, Washington said: As the title said, I have bad back problems which really prevent me from doing typical warehouse type work, which seems to be all I can get right now. I'm 21, and have worked at Target for almost 2 years, and a Car Washer for a couple months. Both jobs I had to quit due to my back, I couldn't perform the job, especially at the pace they wanted me to. I've looked into Data Entry type jobs, but can't seem to land anything, even following up with in person applications and phone calls, nothing. I'm planning on going to school, but need at least another years worth of money to go. Could anyone help me out as to what jobs I should be looking for that a not so qualified 21 year old can do, that doesn't require physical labor? Thanks!

And I tried to transfer to a different position at Target, but nothing was open at the time.

Call Center. You sit all day and listen to people call you an idiot.

If you can work nights, weekends and every holiday, you are qualified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

12 months ago

You could also do customer service or CSR work.

My friend Dina did that type of work for Equipment Depot. She'd sit at a computer in an office and take orders or rental requests for forklifts, scissors, and booms and since they'd service their equipment, she'd also process service requests for the clients.

Now she does it for L&M Corrugated Container Corporation. She just sits at a computer all day in a cubicle and takes calls for clients who wish to place orders for boxes. She also processes online orders. The only time she's not sitting is when she takes lunch, designated breaks or has to go to the washroom.

The pay isn't bad either, between $11 and $17 an hour. Median wage (2010) is $14.64 per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.