How to stand out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

JobSeeker in Tucson, Arizona

18 months ago

Has anyone tried making a blog/website with their name, job history, skills, etc.? Has it helped in standing out and getting more interviews, etc.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Calfornian in Hayward, California

18 months ago

JobSeeker in Tucson, Arizona said: Has anyone tried making a blog/website with their name, job history, skills, etc.? Has it helped in standing out and getting more interviews, etc.?

If you are in the web design / graphical business it's obviously mandatory, or near to it. For everyone else it's a mixed bag in a couple of ways. First, if websites aren't your business odds are it'll be shaky from an appearance/quality angle. Although WordPress makes this all a lot easier and there are tons of free templates.

Second, it's a tossup if anyone cares. It won't make a shred of difference in bigger companies. They want a resume and to process you like a number. I really hate the hiring process today.

Smaller companies, if you can come off as a functional expert, I think it may help. Where it could help a lot is if you work in a specific industry and use the website to build your personal brand in it. For instance, you work in the green products industry and you run a site about green products.

I use my personal site to write about slightly exotic aspects of what I do. I do that to keep myself sharp, specifically on the types of things I get asked about in interviews and not much else. Anything else is a bonus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.