I think I was a "quota" interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

21 months ago

This shouldn't bug me, but it does.

I am a female in a very male dominated field. It's never bothered me, because I've been one of the guys. Sometimes the playing field isn't level, but other times, it has worked out in my favor. In summary: I make my own success. It isn't given or taken from me.

That being said, I was working with a headhunter that had an opening that was appealing to me. Then she dropped the bombshell: the hiring manager had been accused of discrimination so he is eager to hire a woman to prove that is not the case. Charming.... Anyhow, I said fine I'd take the interview because I could handle whatever he threw my way.

The interview was cordial. He was polite. But he was completely uninterested in getting to know me or what I could bring to the table. It was all, "how could I be a great boss to you?" After the interview I assumed that was that and moved on. I was shocked two weeks later when I got a call that I was in the final two, and needed to be interviewed one more time. Same style of interview, not one piece of tangible information I shared that would make someone hire me. I did not get the job.

Today I ran into the guy who did get the job. I offered my congrats and wanted to compare notes on what I felt was an odd interview. He had a totally different experience, was put through the wringer and was really challenged. I go into conspiracy mode after this conversation and go back to the weird comment about this manager trying to clean up his image after being accused of discrimination. Now I feel like I was part of his rehabilitation of his image - see, I did try to hire a woman, but it didn't work out.

I don't think the job would have been interesting for me so im not really upset. But I am feeling somewhat used and am feeling like this whole thing was less than professional. I would have loved the chance to lose or win the job based on the same questions the guy got. Then again, maybe I'm just paranoid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

21 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: This shouldn't bug me, but it does.

The interview was cordial. He was polite. But he was completely uninterested in getting to know me or what I could bring to the table. It was all, "how could I be a great boss to you?" After the interview I assumed that was that and moved on. I was shocked two weeks later when I got a call that I was in the final two, and needed to be interviewed one more time. Same style of interview, not one piece of tangible information I shared that would make someone hire me. I did not get the job.

Today I ran into the guy who did get the job. I offered my congrats and wanted to compare notes on what I felt was an odd interview. He had a totally different experience, was put through the wringer and was really challenged....

I completely understand your frustration. I haven't had a challenging interview since before my last job! I have complained about this more than once here and I just want to say to every employer that does this; you are wasting MY time and I deserve a lot better than a pat on the hand.

I feel in my case, I get the "token interview" because I am over 50. As soon as I hear that I am up against a few "internal candidates", I know it's over. My interviews have felt more like an awkward coffee date with someone you don't know with all the silly small talk and fake smiles.

I think if someone ever asked me a question that would make me take a pause and think about my answer, I would be not only be flattered, I would actually believe I was at a real interview!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

I would love to hear if anyone else has ever felt with hindsight that the interview you got was NOT real or that there really wasn't an opening with the company. Something tells me that this is becoming commonplace since there are so few jobs for the millions that need them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

21 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I would love to hear if anyone else has ever felt with hindsight that the interview you got was NOT real or that there really wasn't an opening with the company. Something tells me that this is becoming commonplace since there are so few jobs for the millions that need them.

All the time. These are called "compliance" interviews.

Often, the candidate is chosen before the ad is run.

21 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: All the time. These are called "compliance" interviews.

Often, the candidate is chosen before the ad is run.

Awful! Wish it could be strictly outlawed. No wonder these companies don't even send an email to say we didn't get the job. Most of these hiring managers must be bored with the process too.

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

21 months ago

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania said: I would love to hear if anyone else has ever felt with hindsight that the interview you got was NOT real or that there really wasn't an opening with the company. Something tells me that this is becoming commonplace since there are so few jobs for the millions that need them.

I have definitely had fake interviews. Quota interviews (based on sex), the let's-get-more-H1B-workers-approved-by-Congress interviews, internal candidate has already been hired interviews, just want more funding for our department interviews...yeah. Please quit wasting our time, employers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

endoftheworld in West Hartford, Connecticut

21 months ago

I have complained about non-interviews, am aware of this DURING the brief interview, not mulling it over in hindsight.
Most of 'em have been like that, earlier on I did have some serious almost 1 hour interviews where i was actually "interviewed" and we actually talked about the job vs. something completely off topic just to kill time. I have not had an interview where I feel this is going anywheres in so long can't recall. I have no idea if this is based on my world weary appearance/dead eyes/blank stare/hunched shoulders/shuffling walk and looking downcast or what, I never had "spark" but I can't fake it, I likely come across like a zombie since I have checked out of my own life, don't need drugs to escape I just zone out - another one of my "talents" I can never tell an employer about esp. when they ask "how do you deal with stress?". The police blotter has been online since '07 and I have had some decent interviews but none this yr. or last. I mean am called in to interview so you'd think they'd be interested UNLESS because of my last name which I have been told sounds "Hawaiian" or "something exotic" they think they can use me to fulfil EEO requirements and upon seeing a middle aged white chick, who doesn't look her age or project that certain professional image, it's like oopsie.
It could also be the vibe I am giving off such as "man what flucking waste of time this is going to be" which happened after my 2nd. yr. Imagine being on match.com for 2 yr.s and never getting a 2nd. date, after a while every 1st. date would be like OK whatever, I have nothing better to do so I may as well go. I'll be 44 or 45 in Sept. can't recall exactly how old I am but am pretty sure I don't look 40. I also wonder if it's expected woman of a certain age wear cosmetics, as I have fairly splotchy complexion from being outdoors all the time but make-up is too girly for me like wearing a dress/heels which I don't either, I can only be myself so whatever...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.