How to use my graphic design degree for not graphic design

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Dee in Libertyville, Illinois

66 months ago

I graduated with a degree in graphic design in May 2011, and sort of passively enjoyed my classwork. Got an internship in my final semester, and absolutely hated it. Got another job very briefly in graphic design, and again wasn't happy.

Now it's been a year. I've been working for near minimum wage in a grocery store kitchen since then, I am so much happier than I ever thought I could be at a job, but it isn't sustainable at this pay.

The reason I hated my internship is mainly the environment. I hate offices. I hate sitting in a cube and doing 8 hours of stale work, it doesn't matter if it's "creative" work or paperwork. I also hate working at computers for an extended period of time. I need to be using my hands, I need to be standing and moving, I need to be social and active to get me through my work day.

Any suggestions? The only thing I could think of would be to go for a masters in art education and become an art instructor.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Libertyville, Illinois

66 months ago

Forgot to add:

I now also have this hurdle of being a year out with no graphic design experience. A month ago I tried applying for strictly graphic design positions... got 1 interview out of it, and they ended up telling me flat out I've been out of the market too long. I could possibly claw my way back in with some pro-bono freelance work if I really wanted, but I don't. I really just don't have the drive to do it any more.

My experience for the past year has been hospitality/culinary related. I do enjoy this field a lot, but don't want to pay for a whole separate culinary degree, and without a degree, the pay just isn't there.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

zoeysnap in Orange County, California

66 months ago

That's too bad you went through school for graphic design and then realized you hated it. Sitting in an office staring at a computer screen isn't for everyone, but if you're a graphic designer there is no getting around it. If you really hate the office/computer type jobs, I wouldn't bother applying for them anymore. You'll be miserable. Unfortunately you learned this the hard (and expensive) way.

My suggestion would be to go back school and study for the job you really want whether it is teaching or culinary or whatever. Yeah, school costs money, but I think it would be worth it to peruse a career you will love.

Good luck!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.