I want to quit my job, but I'm afraid it will hurt my chances at future jobs. What should I do?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

I want to be a good worker in Colorado

20 months ago

I'm at my first job and things are going badly. I'm really making an effort, but I'm just not cut out for this job. My boss thinks I'm mentally handicapped because of how much I struggle with the job (but I'm actually quite smart).

My mom said the boss probably wants to fire me but is afraid he'd get a lawsuit for firing a "mentally handicapped" employee.

The boss is at the end of his rope with me. And more and more coworkers are turning on me. It would really be in my best interest to quit.

However, the only thing stopping me from quitting is the fact that it would be hard to get another job if I quit this job. If I quit this job, I won't exactly be able to use them as a reference when applying to new jobs. But since this is my first job, I don't have any other references I could use.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

20 months ago

I want to be a good worker in Colorado said: I'm at my first job and things are going badly. I'm really making an effort, but I'm just not cut out for this job. My boss thinks I'm mentally handicapped because of how much I struggle with the job (but I'm actually quite smart).

My mom said the boss probably wants to fire me but is afraid he'd get a lawsuit for firing a "mentally handicapped" employee.

The boss is at the end of his rope with me. And more and more coworkers are turning on me. It would really be in my best interest to quit.

However, the only thing stopping me from quitting is the fact that it would be hard to get another job if I quit this job. If I quit this job, I won't exactly be able to use them as a reference when applying to new jobs. But since this is my first job, I don't have any other references I could use.

If you get fired, you won't be able to use them as a reference either. Give it two more weeks and if things aren't getting better, resign. This ain't for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

I want to be a good worker in Colorado

20 months ago

If I quit this job, how am I supposed to find another job?

When you have no references, it's almost impossible to find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

20 months ago

jocruz, drive-by-encourager,click on my lil' link,bby asker, in Miami, Florida said: If you are really struggling with your job,then why continue with it? And if you believe in your capabilities you do not require any references. Just create a professional resume and upload it on various job giving site and you will definitely get a good job.
[url= www.karinherzog.com/de ]Sauerstoff Hautpflege[/url]
I don't know about you but I would never trust any job advice from Florida. No one moves to Flordia to get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

20 months ago

Have you made any friends at the job you at now that would be a reference for you? Have you been at your job longer than a year and maybe could not include it as your start point?

Most low paying jobs don't need anything but a reference. Even if a potential employer calls your HR dept. or even your boss, they are only allowed to confirm dates and pay. They aren't even allowed to give a good reference, because of the privacy laws. So, see if someone at your present job will be your reference and title themselves as your team leader or some role of authority.

If none of that works, I would try taking a part time job or a one that is not easy to fill. If you get an interview, most employers will size you up then, and your past won't matter so much, as long as you are not going for something that is a little more critical.

Good luck. It's no fun being in a miserable place. If you are living at home and have the means to keep a roof over your head, I would put in my two week notice. That way, it shows professionalism on your part and should get the nasties to back off of you in order to make you quit. No one deserves to feel bullied at their job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unhappilyunemployed in Pennsylvania

20 months ago

Average in Medford, Massachusetts said: I don't know about you but I would never trust any job advice from Florida. No one moves to Flordia to get a job.

LOL. Agreed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee

20 months ago

I was recently fired when I should have quit. If your boss is really at the end of his rope with you, I think it'll be wiser to resign. Do what I have been doing when asked why I'm not working there anymore:

Q: Why are you no longer working for [name of last company]?
A: Well, it wasn't a very good fit.

Q: Why wasn't it a good fit?
A: I found that it wasn't a very collaborative environment, and I find that important.

I have already landed part time work.

If you quit, YES you can use it as a reference. Your boss isn't legally allowed to say anything bad about you, even if he fires you. You can try to use someone else who you worked with there if you need a character reference (which is what I'm doing). Get creative with your references if you have to - use past teachers, long-time family friends, whatever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Just whatever you do, don't bad mouth your boss to any employers. Saying something like you wanted to pursue other options that fit better because you're searching for a collaborative environment makes you look better.

20 months ago

I want to add another thing. I wouldn't go around saying, "It wasn't a good fit" to anyone, because most might take that as = you were fired. I would only say that to a potential employer when they are wondering why you -quit-.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

20 months ago

I thought the same thing until I read this gem written for Ohio Bar Association members- www.ohiobar.org/general%20resources/pub/legalbasics/lb%20chapter%206.pdf- long story short, good luck proving defamation by a former employer unless you have hard evidence...tap your former employer's phone lately?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio said: I thought the same thing until I read this gem written for Ohio Bar Association members- www.ohiobar.org/general%20resources/pub/legalbasics/lb%20chapter%206.pdf- long story short, good luck proving defamation by a former employer unless you have hard evidence...tap your former employer's phone lately?

Maybe they can do this: Have someone call the old employer pretending to be looking for a reference, and record the conversation, hoping to catch defamation in action. In most states you can legally record a phone conversation without the other party knowing about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

20 months ago

ThatIsNotMyName in Nashville, Tennessee said: Maybe they can do this: Have someone call the old employer pretending to be looking for a reference, and record the conversation, hoping to catch defamation in action. In most states you can legally record a phone conversation without the other party knowing about it.

This will work if your last employer was "Ed's Typewriter Repair". Very few companies today will give references or employment verifications over the phone - for that very reason.

My last employer doesn't do verifications at all. Its been outsourced to a 3rd party.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.