What was your last interview like?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Dani in Middletown, Delaware

14 months ago

I'm beginning to think no matter how "well" an interview goes, it doesn't matter because there probably isn't a real job attached to it. Or most places already have someone picked out. They just have to interview other candidates. I had an interview today, thought it went decent (have had better, but have had much worse). Even mailed a thank you note, which will turn out to be useless since I didn't get the job. I came home from the interview to a rejection letter. Record time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

I recently had an interview at an office with many different medical specialties and blended traditional with holistic care. There were a little over 100 applicants according to the manager. She wheedled it down to 9 possible candidates. 5 were interviewing one day and 4 the next day. I was the last candidate to interview on the first day of interviews. She kept telling me during the interview that she liked XYZ about me. Her body language indicated things were going really well. At the end of the interview she told me out of the 5 people that interviewed that day she only liked 2, me and someone else. She also indicated that while the ad was for one receptionist she had been contemplating hiring two receptionists. I thought I had it in the bag. On the day I was supposed to hear back from them, I didn't hear anything. However, my phone rang a day later only to inform me that while the practice manager really liked me, she chose to hire someone else. I was heartbroken, of course, and then remembered all the times my friend Dina interviewed prior to landing her current job in which she had very similar experiences to what I just had.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

Wow. They're a pretty expedient bunch aren't they? My last interview was a group one. And I knew from the onset it was a bust. You can get a vibe from interviews right off the bat, you just try to do the best you can with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

That said, you're correct. It really doesn't matter how well you look on paper. It doesn't matter how well you look on your interview. It doesn't matter how well the interview goes. Nothing matters because you're most likely NOT going to be the one hired. Someone else will be hired over you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia said: You can get a vibe from interviews right off the bat...

Vibes aside, there's just no predictability anymore when it comes to interviewing. Don't bother trying to read into it anymore. It may've worked 10, 15, 20 years ago, but not in today's society.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker84 in Atlanta, Georgia

14 months ago

Sorry, I meant to say 'interviewers'. You can get a vibe from them and how they perceive you. I'm always on the mark with that one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

Dani in Middletown, Delaware said: I'm beginning to think no matter how "well" an interview goes, it doesn't matter because there probably isn't a real job attached to it. Or most places already have someone picked out. They just have to interview other candidates. I had an interview today, thought it went decent (have had better, but have had much worse). Even mailed a thank you note, which will turn out to be useless since I didn't get the job. I came home from the interview to a rejection letter. Record time!

I think sometimes the candidate was already chosen before the ad was even posted. They are just going through the motions to cover themselves legally. I have been on a few of those.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

My last interview was setup by a networking contact as a favor. I appreciated the attempt to help, but his buddy giving the interview wasn't happy he had to do it. Going through the motions. I would have preferred to have been told no right up front than to have wasted my time and his.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dani in Middletown, Delaware

14 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: My last interview was setup by a networking contact as a favor. I appreciated the attempt to help, but his buddy giving the interview wasn't happy he had to do it. Going through the motions. I would have preferred to have been told no right up front than to have wasted my time and his.

That's the worst part is the wasting of your time (and money spent on gas or travel). A college friend of mine (graduated same year as me, unemployed) lives in northern NJ and traveled down to DC for an interview. When she got there, they told her the position had been filled. If they didn't know that when they called her for the interview in the first place, they knew it the morning she was supposed to come in! If I had driven 3 hours and no one even wanted to speak to me, I would have demanded gas money or else I was pitching a story to whatever outlet would listen about this unprofessional company. In her most recent interview, she showed up, went through the motions, it sounded like a great opportunity, etc. and.....surprise! The job was unpaid! She took it though for experience (she likes it so far) and she can afford it. No loan payments, lives at home, and her parents do pretty well. But these employers, I tell you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ajag in Eolia, Missouri

14 months ago

Yes I recently interviewed for a transfer. Others also interviewed for the same spot. I wonder when a company does a transfer and they know up front they want them to transfer, why must they interview others? It does seem a waste. But I felt my interview whether I got the job or not was a great experience. It was a chance to learn about the other job, my coworkers across town, etc. It gave me some insights I would never otherwise have. So I suggest when going to these that you see it as a learning opportunity and decide what you want to get from the experience. You can gain from each unsuccessful interview and take that to the next. Eventually you'll get hired and have plenty to share.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland

14 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: I recently had an interview at an office with many different medical specialties and blended traditional with holistic care. There were a little over 100 applicants according to the manager. She wheedled it down to 9 possible candidates. 5 were interviewing one day and 4 the next day. I was the last candidate to interview on the first day of interviews. She kept telling me during the interview that she liked XYZ about me. Her body language indicated things were going really well. At the end of the interview she told me out of the 5 people that interviewed that day she only liked 2, me and someone else. She also indicated that while the ad was for one receptionist she had been contemplating hiring two receptionists. I thought I had it in the bag. On the day I was supposed to hear back from them, I didn't hear anything. However, my phone rang a day later only to inform me that while the practice manager really liked me, she chose to hire someone else. I was heartbroken, of course, and then remembered all the times my friend Dina interviewed prior to landing her current job in which she had very similar experiences to what I just had.

Over 100 prospective candidates applied, 9 of them selected for a final interview, right there it says it all.

You had to compete with over 100 people to become a R E C E P T I O N I S T.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

14 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: Over 100 prospective candidates applied, 9 of them selected for a final interview, right there it says it all.

You had to compete with over 100 people to become a R E C E P T I O N I S T.

Where my sister works (school district), they had an opening (rare) for a part-time receptionist with benefits. They had over 1,000 applicants. Everybody from GEDs to PhDs were applying.

Thank Heaven, they use Taleo huh? LOL!

14 months ago

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland said: You had to compete with over 100 people to become a R E C E P T I O N I S T.

That seems to be pretty consistent too from what I've been hearing from other practice managers and practitioners. There seems to be a good 100-200 applicants per job ad and many employers seem pretty picky who they end up hiring too.

A dental office that just had me for a 3 hour working interview and didn't offer me the job just reposted the opening not all that long ago and it's NOT the first time that this has happened. A chiropractor I went to last year ended up reposting the reception a month after I initially interviewed for it. They didn't like anyone the second time so it was reposted again a month later. 4 weeks passed and I saw it reposted yet again. You mean to tell me with so many applicants the first time around you can't fill the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jobseeker in Bethesda, Maryland

14 months ago

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois said: That seems to be pretty consistent too from what I've been hearing from other practice managers and practitioners. There seems to be a good 100-200 applicants per job ad and many employers seem pretty picky who they end up hiring too.

A dental office that just had me for a 3 hour working interview and didn't offer me the job just reposted the opening not all that long ago and it's NOT the first time that this has happened. A chiropractor I went to last year ended up reposting the reception a month after I initially interviewed for it. They didn't like anyone the second time so it was reposted again a month later. 4 weeks passed and I saw it reposted yet again. You mean to tell me with so many applicants the first time around you can't fill the job?

I don't know why would they re-post a job for the third or fourth time after getting 300-400 resumes for positions that you don't have to have a rocket science degree to qualify for.

DO they get any type of incentives for posting jobs?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.