Frustrated with Internet Job hunting.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 55)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

jkeayc in Chelmsford, Massachusetts

25 months ago

I got out of the Army in 2007 and was introduced to indeed.com in my outprocessing from the Army. I just learned today that there is a forum for this website? I feel lost when it comes to using the internet to find work. I have been posting my resume and searching for a "real" job since 2007 using indeed, careerbuilder, military.com, etc, etc. and I have never once gotten an interview or job offer using the internet. I have had to work odd jobs that I found with old fashion methods (show up and ask for a job in person) for the past 5 years. It is killing me cause I can't get anything that pays what I use to make as a soldier. I'm am not finding work that uses me to my full potential. Am I doing it wrong? How do people actually ever get a job from the internet? It seems like a huge waste of my time everytime I fill out an on-line application or search for hours for jobs that are either long gone or are not even real in the first place. If there are all these jobs being posted all the time, then how do I get one? I feel like I have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting an interview using one of these job search websites. Please help?????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

You only want to spend about 50% of your time on the Internet. The problem is the competition. Once it hits the boards, a thousand people see the same ad that you did and apply. Its the competition that is killing you.

The other 50% of your time needs to be spent away from the boards. One technique is to draw up a list of 50 companies within a 25 mile radius of you that might have a need for your skills and visit their career links directly.

Have you ever seen an ad from Microsoft? No and you never will. They get 1,000 apps a week just off their website alone. Many companies do it this way now. They get all the candidates they need from their career link alone and it doesn't cost them a dime.

Also small companies are a good way to find work but they aren't as visible because they don't have the budgets to advertise online. You will have to work harder to find them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

I appreciate your response, but your advice is not very helpful. Most of the job postings on the job search sites direct you to the company’s on-line application website. In the interest of trying to keep my initial post short, I left out a lot of details about where I have searched. I have gone directly to companies HR departments to circumvent the internet BS and I am told they do not accept applications in person. I have even applied at one company where I was a referral by a friend who worked closely with the hiring manager. I was told I still had to go through the company on-line application process. The problem I believe is with the on-line application programs that these companies use. The company tells the programmers to only draw out resumes that trigger "key words" or else the resumes never get seen. Just lost in a sea of wasted data. I understand that there is a lot of competition, but after 5 years I have never gotten an interview? At least? Something is very wrong with the system. I have always been hired when I walk into a blue collar job and get to talk with a manager on the spot. I am tired of working jobs I'm make too little to get ahead and I'm over qualified for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

jkeayc in Chelmsford, Massachusetts said: I appreciate your response, but your advice is not very helpful. Most of the job postings on the job search sites direct you to the company’s on-line application website. I was told I still had to go through the company on-line application process. The problem I believe is with the on-line application programs that these companies use.

Are you saying you have been out of work for five years? If that is the case, most large companies will reject you instantly as being unemployable and they will do that via the online app. It not only looks for keywords, salary requirements but gaps.

The technology that allows you to find purple bowling shoes in a size 12, is the same technology that allows companies today to find exactly the candidate they want.

Again, if I understand you correctly and you have beeen out of work for five years, you will need to find those rare jobs, where 1. You know someone. 2. You can walk in and apply or 3. Take paper resumes.

Now if you find this outrageous, write your Congressman and this being an election year, put a few bucks in the envelope. Their first priority is not getting you a job but in keeping their jobs.

Helpful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Does anyone read anymore? I never stated I was out of work for the past 5 years. I stated that I'm only able to get jobs that don't even use the internet for hiring purposes unless they use Craigslist. For example: Restaurants, mechanics, general labor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

The whole "not hiring someone because of gaps in employment" brings up another frustrating subject not related to my original topic. When it comes to a professional resume, I'm not going to put that I washed dishes at Tom, Dick and Harry's pub for 2 months because it was all I could find to keep a few bucks in my wallet while I looked for a career. Or that I took a summer off to spend with my ill child. If employers can't realize that people don't always have a reason to work and punish them when they need too, then our society is seriously flawed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

jkeayc in Chelmsford, Massachusetts said: Does anyone read anymore? I never stated I was out of work for the past 5 years. I stated that I'm only able to get jobs that don't even use the internet for hiring purposes unless they use Craigslist. For example: Restaurants, mechanics, general labor.

Heh! Okay, you are getting frustrated but lets try this again. If you see a posting on a job board whether it is on Monster, Indeed, Careerbuilder or whatever, a thousand other people see that same posting and apply. That works against you unless you are a 98% match.

What I am suggesting is that you go directly to a company website FIRST to check for jobs. Often, the job will be posted there and NOWHERE else. This doesn't cost the company a dime and gives you the edge.

Once a company goes "outside" and pays to find a candidate, the aggregator sites like Indeed pick that up and then its just a numbers game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

jkeayc in Chelmsford, Massachusetts said: The whole "not hiring someone because of gaps in employment" brings up another frustrating subject not related to my original topic. When it comes to a professional resume, I'm not going to put that I washed dishes at Tom, Dick and Harry's pub for 2 months because it was all I could find to keep a few bucks in my wallet while I looked for a career. Or that I took a summer off to spend with my ill child. If employers can't realize that people don't always have a reason to work and punish them when they need too, then our society is seriously flawed!

No, gaps of short duration don't have to be listed. I don't have every job on my resume either. But it sounded like you had a very LARGE gap and that, in this market, is a problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

I've found that it's very unlikely I'll get called for an interview when I have to fill out an online application. The one call I've gotten after filling out a long online job application was from a government agency, and I honestly don't have my hopes up high for various reasons into which I cannot delve online.

The interviews I've gotten have been from smaller to medium sized employers who used the resume and cover letter format for getting resumes.

Bluetea may be right about online applications automatically weeding out those with gaps.

There are several problems with internet job hunting: the current state of the job market, the numbers game and people applying for everything regardless of qualifications, recruiters posting fake ads and employers acting flaky.

It's ironic that it's much easier now to apply to various jobs than it was 20 years ago but that it's just as hard, if not harder now to land a job. That's the Catch-22 of the internet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Justin in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

25 months ago

What was your job/MOS in the Army ?

Depending on your training and skills it might determine what careers you can get into after the military.

I'm ex USAF and ANG and use my training in my civilian job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

25 months ago

Heck I put Sears on my resume just because it cut short 18 months of continuous unemployment. It's like damned if I do put it on there (menial job) and damned if I don't (makes my length of unemployment even longer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Bluetea may be right about online applications automatically weeding out those with gaps.

It's ironic that it's much easier now to apply to various jobs than it was 20 years ago but that it's just as hard, if not harder now to land a job. That's the Catch-22 of the internet.

My dad use to say,"Things are more difficult now - you have computers". Heh! He never used a computer in his life.

jenab in Austin, Texas

24 months ago

jkeayc, the short answer is yes, you can get jobs from job boards. But there's a trick to it.

I've worked primarily for two companies since 1998, both first jobs at each I applied online. The last company I submitted what I thought was a throwaway app to a position on Monster; the wording sounded like they wanted a very senior consultant with three diverse skillsets. But I had experience in all three areas, if not seniority, so I applied; four days and two interviews later I had my offer letter. But that was after 10 months of unemployment.

There are three factors to job opportunities; relevance, relationship, revenue. Each can be a step or a barrier. Your resume first and foremost needs to be relevant to the position. You need to make it as easy as possible for the decision maker to say "yes" to you.

If you're applying online, are you customizing your resume to use the keywords from the posting for every application? Have you translated your military experience into civilian-friendly terms? Are you obscuring your accomplishments? Are you putting into too much information, or too little?

Since you're a veteran, have you checked into the veterans programs at your local career center? I know here in Texas they have special programs just for vets, and can help you translate your experience in the military into a non-military context. There are also 'veterans preferred' job listings (where non-veterans can't apply until a certain period of time has passed).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I don't know *one* company that would welcome a job-seeker to their office uninvited and without an appointment. What is "pounding the pavement," anymore?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

24 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: I don't know *one* company that would welcome a job-seeker to their office uninvited and without an appointment. What is "pounding the pavement," anymore?

Nick, they still exist, but it invariably involves minimally warehouse, retail, or delivery work (at least around here).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

24 months ago

jkeayc, I hope you're following this. Last time I was I was unemployed I did a brief stint at a recruiter; as such I joined a group for recruiters, and I've never unregistered with them (every little bit of advantage helps).

They just posted about ATT and Ryder having veteran related pages, include a "translator" tool to help translate your MOS into civilian job terms and find matching jobs. According to the article, "Ryder has said it’ll hire 1,000 veterans by 2013. It has 670 jobs open, and about 8 percent of its current workforce is made up of veterans."

Do a web search for "ATT Veterans" and "Ryder Military Recruiting" for more information.

Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I really detest abstract bologna.

Oh, and there is no pounding the pavement anymore thanks to tightened security in every office building in this country. Forget it.

There isn't even any pounding the pavement as to retail/service jobs. My understanding is they all want online applications.

Everything is online.

And we are all one tap of a finger away from being deleted from consideration.

Easy come, easy go.

Next.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Thanks jenab for the tips. I have used a skills translator on Military.com and I don't write my resumes filled with Army jargon. I have tried to tailor my resume to fit what I am applying for, but I can only bend the truth so far. You mentioned "relevance" being one of the three keys. My biggest problem is relevance. I am being forced to make a career change due to the fact that I can no longer do what I did in the Army, nor do I want to. If I could still do it, I would still be in the Army grasping my security blanket firmly while the rest of America struggles. I would rather have done more tours overseas than go through the hell of being unable to pay bills and constantly fight with my wife about money and feel guilty that I can't buy my son something as simple as a video game. We've had to cut every luxury out of our lives that most people don't think twice about doing. The longer I keep having to do menial labor jobs, the worse my chances of a real career, with real money and benefits is going to be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

I am not going to get into it here about what I use to do and everyone trying to chime in with "Have you tried this...." I have tried it all. I have used VA assistance at the local career centers. The ones I have encountered suck and are out of touch with reality of finding a job because they have had one for the past 20 years nestled in their cubby hole at the career center. They would just try to match me up with what I use to do and I can't do it any longer. Again, I'm having to find another career. I have been to Recruit Military job fairs and both times I get a lot of polite responses to my dilemma, but no one willing to give me a chance to succeed.

I honestly believe and have come to the realization that being a veteran and having a strong, disciplined, work ethic is not what these companies are looking for. The are only looking for people already trained in the position that they are providing, so they don't have to spend the money to do the training themselves.

I'm probably going to have to go back to school, but that won't help me immediately to get out of debt and make my family happy and healthy again. Plus there are no chances that an education will land me a job either, because I will still have NO DAMN EXPERIENCE!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

24 months ago

jkeayc in Chelmsford, Massachusetts said: I am not going to get into it here about what I use to do and everyone trying to chime in with "Have you tried this...." I have tried it all. I have used VA assistance at the local career centers. The ones I have encountered suck and are out of touch with reality...

I'm sorry to hear that. I know at this point there's not much I can say without knowing details that won't sound trite. Just know when I say "hang in there" it's meant with the best, most sincere intentions. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

You can't say that you're not getting a job because you're a vet. Sure, I think employers should have provisions to give vets breaks in the employment process. But everyone is having trouble getting jobs now, including civilians, and it's a dog eat dog world more so than ever.

I'm not being aggressive, however much it may sound like it. I'm only saying there are lots of people in the same situation. And we're all human beings.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Bloomingburg, New York

24 months ago

jkeayc in Chelmsford, Massachusetts said: I am not going to get into it here about what I use to do and everyone trying to chime in with "Have you tried this...." I have tried it all. I have used VA assistance at the local career centers. The ones I have encountered suck and are out of touch with reality of finding a job because they have had one for the past 20 years nestled in their cubby hole at the career center. They would just try to match me up with what I use to do and I can't do it any longer. Again, I'm having to find another career. I have been to Recruit Military job fairs and both times I get a lot of polite responses to my dilemma, but no one willing to give me a chance to succeed.

I honestly believe and have come to the realization that being a veteran and having a strong, disciplined, work ethic is not what these companies are looking for. The are only looking for people already trained in the position that they are providing, so they don't have to spend the money to do the training themselves.

I'm probably going to have to go back to school, but that won't help me immediately to get out of debt and make my family happy and healthy again. Plus there are no chances that an education will land me a job either, because I will still have NO DAMN EXPERIENCE!!!!!

The Dept of Labor Career Centers are a JOKE! And, the advice they give is lame and alittle out dated for the most part. Don't get me started with those people sponging off the rest of us. Typical govt employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

The career center in downtown Boston typically has a ton of Oriental (sorry don't know which exact country) new immigrants in the waiting room, only-God-knows waiting for what. The only reason I don't say that they're laughable useless at finding anyone a job, is because it isn't funny. I've had three different people from there critique my resume, and I'm still about 0-for-500.

They should shut all those places down, if they're not going to be helpful. Setting up a job fair for everything you see on SnagAJob isn't being helpful. Those companies will hire anyone with a pulse, because no one wants to work for them (bank teller, Hertz rent-a-car, etc etc.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Nick! They're referred to as Asians nowadays. I hate the whole PC world, but in this case you have to adhere.

You could have 100 different people look at your resume, and you'd likely have 100 different resumes as a result.

The bottom line is that we all need someone to give us a break.

By the way, I could never be a bank teller or work a similar service job. No way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

24 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Nick! By the way, I could never be a bank teller or work a similar service job. No way.

I was a bank teller in college. I was also a waitresses. If you ever have to choose, be a bank teller. Oyeeee!

24 months ago

OK, Asians then. =)

My "I could never be X" phase was a long time ago. Pretty much the only thing still on my "no way" list, is fast food or waiter at a chain (like Applebees). Everything else is in play. Heck, the job I have now is on SnagaJob. They are advertising for my replacement as they train me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Weinstein in Austin, Texas

13 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Heh! Okay, you are getting frustrated but lets try this again. If you see a posting on a job board whether it is on Monster, Indeed, Careerbuilder or whatever, a thousand other people see that same posting and apply. That works against you unless you are a 98% match.

What I am suggesting is that you go directly to a company website FIRST to check for jobs. Often, the job will be posted there and NOWHERE else. This doesn't cost the company a dime and gives you the edge.

Once a company goes "outside" and pays to find a candidate, the aggregator sites like Indeed pick that up and then its just a numbers game.

Please stop giving out good advice. Now everyone knows our tricks! ;)

-Michael

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Frank DeFilippi in New Hampshire

13 months ago

Back to the original posting.
You have to do everything, look through job boards: (indeed, Monster, Linkedin, craigslist, etc) I do agree with the 2nd responder, the competetion is brutal going through job boards. You have to think outside the box. For example, Manta list companies in the local area, from there you can jump to the companies webist and see if they're hiring.
Recruiter are the worst and terrible,I avoid them. Why, because they are scouring the itnernew for job, then call up a canidiate and claim they have a client.

alicia in Columbia, South Carolina

12 months ago

Hello! I agree with jkeayc. It is truly frustrating when you are looking for jobs online and nothing is panning out. We are all looking for a break that actually allows us to use our skills in this world. It's irritating that every job wants you apply online now. I'm pissed that I don't really get responses from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EX-Con in Salt Lake City, Utah

11 months ago

I am so frustrated that I can't find a god damn job because I am an ex-con in a professional field. Companies these days do background check and I am not even consider for the job. I have no one to blame but myself but I need a break. I am soo tired of looking for a job that I just want to go back to prison, sad isn't. I don't want to work odd jobs to get a better job but I want to work in the field that I enjoy. I just want to vent because I am just tired and frustrated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

11 months ago

Trust me, it is Not just ex-cons having trouble finding work. I've been looking for 5 long years and there are simply no jobs available. I do not have a criminal record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EX-Con in Salt Lake City, Utah

11 months ago

well there are jobs in the tech field but damn, background check up the ass. I am sorry you are going through what I am going through. It's frustrating.

Wirral Writer in Preston, United Kingdom

10 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: I've found that it's very unlikely I'll get called for an interview when I have to fill out an online application. The one call I've gotten after filling out a long online job application was from a government agency, and I honestly don't have my hopes up high for various reasons into which I cannot delve online.

The interviews I've gotten have been from smaller to medium sized employers who used the resume and cover letter format for getting resumes.

Bluetea may be right about online applications automatically weeding out those with gaps.

There are several problems with internet job hunting: the current state of the job market, the numbers game and people applying for everything regardless of qualifications, recruiters posting fake ads and employers acting flaky.

You are so right. I have never known the job market to be so bad. What the hell has gone wrong with this country???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TwinBrownie in Saint Louis, Missouri

10 months ago

jkeayc in Chelmsford, Massachusetts said: I am not going to get into it here about what I use to do and everyone trying to chime in with "Have you tried this...." I have tried it all. I have used VA assistance at the local career centers. The ones I have encountered suck and are out of touch with reality of finding a job because they have had one for the past 20 years nestled in their cubby hole at the career center. They would just try to match me up with what I use to do and I can't do it any longer. Again, I'm having to find another career. I have been to Recruit Military job fairs and both times I get a lot of polite responses to my dilemma, but no one willing to give me a chance to succeed.

I have no experience, or experience, but no recent work experience.

This is truly a familiar statement from so many unemployed people looking for work today.

For example, a person worked for over 20 years as an administrative assistant and got laid off through no fault of their own. They have not worked in the last 3 years because of a bad economy; this has been reported all over the news. Common sense dictates this is not their fault. So why are employers overlooking these type of candidates and hiring someone with recent experience? This is a form of discrimination and they should not be able to get away with these types of practices.

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

TwinBrownie in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Common sense dictates this is not their fault. So why are employers overlooking these type of candidates and hiring someone with recent experience? This is a form of discrimination and they should not be able to get away with these types of practices.

First, that is how Capitalism works. Second, its not the fault of employers either. Third, if you think government can "force" employers to hire, you would be a one-term politician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

If this is how Capitalism works -it sucks big time! It may not be the fault of the employers, but some of them do practice discrimination such as age discrimination and race to not hire someone. And now, if you do not have any experience or recent experience those are "added" reasons why they will not hire you. Why? Even the employers themselves had to start some where to gain experience - someone gave them a chance to get that experience, right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

TwinBrownie in Saint Louis, Missouri said: If this is how Capitalism works -it sucks big time! It may not be the fault of the employers, but some of them do practice discrimination such as age discrimination and race to not hire someone. And now, if you do not have any experience or recent experience those are "added" reasons why they will not hire you. Why? Even the employers themselves had to start some where to gain experience - someone gave them a chance to get that experience, right?

No argument from me.

So what are you going to do; write your Congressmen? These politicians have been bought and paid for by big business. The only jobs they care about are theirs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Yes, I realize politicians have been bought my big businesses and its unethical, and they have gotten away with it! Politicians now days can not be trusted. All they care about is their vote, job, and the hell with everyone else! Its sad and scary...all at the same time:-(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

TwinBrownie in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Yes, I realize politicians have been bought my big businesses and its unethical, and they have gotten away with it! Politicians now days can not be trusted. All they care about is their vote, job, and the hell with everyone else! Its sad and scary...all at the same time:-(

Now I agree with you 100%. Robert Reich "Aftershock" and Joseph Stieglitz, "The Price of Inequality" both say Wall St. is really running things now. It started way back with Reagan.

I am not sure what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hector01 in Bronx, New York

9 months ago

Everything you have to say is right on target. I think we are going through a transition of filtering. If you want to get a good job nowadays you have to think outside the box and just refer to your skills as transferable. I have to rethink everything from my resume to cover letter through trial and error. Your resume and cover letter has to be different. If you want to get a job quickly and be able to be a permanent employee with a company you have to do temporary work. They are offering companies trial periods without the responsibilities of direct hire until the trial periods. Basicly, try before you by approach with limited HR impact. If you have any questions let me know. Its a new world in the job market and new approach is what getting you through the wilderness of job hunting. There are thousands of fish trying to swim up stream. only a few ever make it over. Are you part of the few?

Fed Up in Taylors, South Carolina

8 months ago

I know it's required by the government now to ask for race, sex, ethnic background. I want to know why? It used to be against the law to ask. I think they do it now because the government requires companies to hire less & less whites. Otherwise why ask? Let someone get the job based on their education & experience rather than feeling sorry for them because of skin color. Just my opinion.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

8 months ago

Fed Up in Taylors, South Carolina said: I know it's required by the government now to ask for race, sex, ethnic background. I want to know why? It used to be against the law to ask. I think they do it now because the government requires companies to hire less & less whites. Otherwise why ask? Let someone get the job based on their education & experience rather than feeling sorry for them because of skin color. Just my opinion.

Part of it may be hiring metrics. If a company can say "we had x% of these ethnic groups apply", they can justify the groups they do hire.

If 2 AA's apply and 250 whites, 3 Asian, etc, the company can say something like "we can't hire people who don't apply"

WelcomeToTheMachine in Torrance, California

5 months ago

Its a brave new world for both for employers and prospects. Equal opportunity forces employers to be dishonest and post jobs for which they already have who they want, so many many listings aren't even truly available. The internet application gives them the easy out they need. Automate this process and save money. All the applicants filter into the little pigeonholes in their neat little databases never to see the light of day again. Don't even get me started on psychometric testing. Are you an INTJ, an FMDJ, or a F**K? Sears really took the cake on this. An interactive Flash customer service test, where the people would walk up to your counter and ask this, demand that. One guy was unable to verbally communicate. He just grunted. You then look up their product, price or issue, click the right (or wrong) response and get assaulted with the next issue. And of course there, "is no right or wrong answers." Bullsheet! When personnel departments (yes they are personnel, human resources is just another of those overblown, ego-stroking terms they label themselves with in this over-market-driven, over advertised, sensational-istic, idiocracy) are left unrestrained and their heads inflate to gargantuan proportions, this is the kind of nonsense we get. Over technological expansion of unnecessary bureaucracy: KLinkedin, Blinkedin, friendpage, facefrack, gaggle of gooooogle, ad(non)sense, SEO...Arggggggggggg! Unrestrained and unethical utilization of technology is destroying humanity. The terminators are here already. They're not robots and large machines grinding human skulls into powder under their tracks. They are the career websites, and job boards and databases imbued with filtering technology that widen the divide between the haves and have-nots, whose sole purpose is to filter OUT everyone without every single absolutely necessary qualification REQUIRED absolutely and set in stone to do what must be an impossible job if it requires all that. Revolt!

Austin in Texas

5 months ago

Oh my goodness I've been laid off twice in the past 7 years. Frankly at middle age I'm done with this game. I am currently unemployed and my pay ends 12-31-2013. I've cried, cursed, prayed... And have decided that I will put all of my energy into starting up my own consulting company. My time is better spent doing this than applying online for all of these jobs. Also, I find that so many people you reach out to just don't help. They are like a deer in headlights. I don't think they mean to slight you, just that few people are in the position to pull the right string. Again, time much better spent starting you own gig and controlling you own wheel for once. - - Also, I spotted an ad last week, spent hours crafting the response. Got an email that read."thank you for your resume...You have failed to comply with our basic requests" (signed no name or title). I HATE ONLINE APPLICATIONS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Waterford, New York

5 months ago

jkeayc in Chelmsford, Massachusetts said: I appreciate your response, but your advice is not very helpful. Most of the job postings on the job search sites direct you to the company’s on-line application website. In the interest of trying to keep my initial post short, I left out a lot of details about where I have searched. I have gone directly to companies HR departments to circumvent the internet BS and I am told they do not accept applications in person. I have even applied at one company where I was a referral by a friend who worked closely with the hiring manager. I was told I still had to go through the company on-line application process. The problem I believe is with the on-line application programs that these companies use. The company tells the programmers to only draw out resumes that trigger "key words" or else the resumes never get seen. Just lost in a sea of wasted data . I understand that there is a lot of competition, but after 5 years I have never gotten an interview? At least? Something is very wrong with the system. I have always been hired when I walk into a blue collar job and get to talk with a manager on the spot. I am tired of working jobs I'm make too little to get ahead and I'm over qualified for.

Yes, whenever I find an ad that listed an actual email, I have luck. I think all my interviews came this way. Sometimes I'll see an ad poted in multiple places - where an email is given in one place but you are shunted to something frustrated like taleo on the other - for the same job. It's almost as if some job boards use an RSS feed to grab the job description only. I'm not a hundred percent sure how job boards work, but the more jobs they post, the more hits they'll get and the more ads they can sell.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

5 months ago

Better.luck.next.time in Waterford, New York said: Sometimes I'll see an ad poted in multiple places - where an email is given in one place but you are shunted to something frustrated like taleo on the other - for the same job.

If a company places an ad on something like ziprecruiter.com, that ad can be posted on 40 different sites; all over town.

At my last company, they used nine different recruiters and gave the same job posting to all of them. They let them beat the bushes with they hid behind "Company Confidential".

It really isn't worth your time anymore to toggle back and forth between job boards as there are more job boards than there are jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

natures4fun in Park Ridge, New Jersey

5 months ago

Let's examine the facts as I see them.

1. HR wants to look busy by posting online job openings that do not even exist. They initiate the interview process knowing full well you have no idea the opening isn't even real + can never prove it. If upper management asks what they are doing they can begin a fake "termination" procedure for anyone they have enough dirt on and hire someone at that time. This lets them appear to be on top of things!

2. HR has no real purpose after an employee is hired which is where their "write-ups" and such come into play. Most companies now have a policy of 3 strikes and you're out. What makes this a ridiculous policy is that everyone will eventually get those 3 strikes it just takes time. So in 3 years if you've had 3 strikes HR is more than willing to fire you over it because they need to look BUSY like they are doing something. I worked somewhere for 1.5 years and had 3 strikes during that time, out I went and so too will you!

3. If people continue to take those low paying jobs the wages in this country will continue to go everywhere but up, period. Stop accepting garbage wages people move in with your parents if you need too, otherwise it's all your children and grandchildren will find waiting for them.

4. Recently I've concluded I really need to be more direct with my actions against unjust companies. That includes not shopping there even if it's inconvenient for me. I know it's hard but I simply cannot support a company that shows anti-union propaganda at an employment orientation. How on earth that can be legal is beyond me and is very disturbing. You know who you are *points at those companies doing it*

5. Gossip is everywhere true but why is HR not stopping it? The answer is they don't do any real work. HR is there simply to hire and fire you, they don't care about your long-term employment or anything else. They don't even care about the company itself otherwise they wouldn't be instigating policy's that hurt it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

natures4fun in Park Ridge, New Jersey

5 months ago

Ask yourselves how can a multi-million dollar company go bankrupt? How can a company making millions loose them? HR isn't doing their jobs at those places, not even close. They let upper management remain that is incompetent and unqualified merely because they are someone's buddies or have been there a long time.

Better.luck.next.time in Waterford, New York

5 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said:
It really isn't worth your time anymore to toggle back and forth between job boards as there are more job boards than there are jobs.

I've had some sucess doing this though. A repeating pattern is that I find a job post on craigslist after noticing the ad has also been posted on all the usual sterike job boards,. If I enter through craigslist, I can at least sometimes score an interview. Or, sometimes the person has listed their email, with spaces or odd characters between the email address on a major job site. But the job site itself sends you to some job site profile.

Nancy in Denver, Colorado

2 months ago

I saw this paragraph on a Certificate of Eligibility recently:

"If you know an unemployed Veteran age thirty five to sixty, the new VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011 may help. Included in this new law is the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP). VRAP offers up to 12 months of training assistance to unemployed Veterans. Please visit benefits.va.gov/vow/ or call....) for more information on the program."

This email wouldn't allow me to include the phone number, but the website should include it.
Even if you don't fall within their age restriction, it might be worth it to check this out to find out what other resources they have or know about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.