Indeed Alerted My Current Employer That I Updated My Resume and Was Searching Around?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (39)

Jennifer in Asbury Park, New Jersey

30 months ago

Totally unbeknownst to be apparently Indeed.com sent an alert to my current employer to say that I updated my resume and was job searching. I updated a few things last night and when I showed up for work today my manager greeted me with quite a few questions about why I was looking for another job! Um...

My current employer found me through Indeed, so I'm assuming maybe they saved my profile or something like that and now they get alerts on it? I have no clue! I emailed Indeed's customer service to see if there's some way to turn that off but I have't heard anything back.

I use this site a lot to search for jobs and really don't need my current boss knowing that I'm looking! Frankly it's none of their business if I search around.

Has this happened to anyone else? Am I missing something? Can I turn off those alerts somehow or do I have to start using another site like Monster to apply now?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

leeann66 in Ontario

30 months ago

Anyone can see your resume on Indeed.

Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Yes, I am aware anyone can view my resume. However, I was told by my current employer that Indeed specifically alerted them to my activity on the site.

Obviously I'd like my resume to be public if I'm job searching. I just don't need Indeed to go out of it's way to let my current job know that I'm doing so.

Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

It's possible, I suppose. But that would be highly coincidental and strange that I only just did it last night, and they brought it up this morning.

Reply - Report abuse

leeann66 in Ontario

30 months ago

The alert might just be for the company name. I don't think they can do it with your name. Or, they could be looking for employees and you have the same job title they are looking for.

Either way, it sucks.

Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

True. They made it sound like it was an alert specifically for me, but that makes sense I guess if the alert would be for the same company name or job title. Ugh, and it does suck because I feel very watched now.

Do you know, by chance, if you make your resume private if it can still be used to apply for jobs? I'm guessing making it private just means it's unsearchable, right?

Reply - Report abuse

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland

30 months ago

The primary issue many of us have experienced with public resumes is the overwhelming amount of spammers who fill our in boxes with, well, garbage.

When I had a public resume, I do not remember getting even one legit notice about a job.

Reply - Report abuse

KeepAHappyFace in State of Confusion

30 months ago

Leeann66 in Ontario said: The alert might just be for the company name......

Just a guess, but I'd think that's the case. In any event, the fact that they're spying on employees like that makes a strong statement for what kind of employer that is. I suppose the new tactic to keep wages down, in addition to the age-old rule "don't discuss your pay with co-workers" is going to be "don't post your resume online".

Reply - Report abuse

KeepAHappyFace in State of Confusion

30 months ago

I just found the following article from The Ladders pertaining to this subject which is worth a read for anyone contemplating changing jobs.

info.theladders.com/career-advice/confidential-job-search-while-employed

Reply - Report abuse

AndyRising in a State of Bliss

30 months ago

Jennifer in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: Totally unbeknownst to be apparently Indeed.com sent an alert to my current employer to say that I updated my resume and was job searching. I updated a few things last night and when I showed up for work today my manager greeted me with quite a few questions about why I was looking for another job! Um...

How did you answer? Did you explain why you're looking?

The questions they ask, and the answers you give, could lead to productive conversations and positive changes. Or not.

Reply - Report abuse

leeann66 in Ontario

30 months ago

Jennifer in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: True. They made it sound like it was an alert specifically for me, but that makes sense I guess if the alert would be for the same company name or job title. Ugh, and it does suck because I feel very watched now.

Do you know, by chance, if you make your resume private if it can still be used to apply for jobs? I'm guessing making it private just means it's unsearchable, right?

If you make your resume private, no one can see it. I personally think unless you are unemployed, your better off just applying for jobs, or send your resume out to companies you would like to work for. Sounds like your employer is snooping on it's employees.

Reply - Report abuse

Derek in Saint Johns, Michigan

28 months ago

Jennifer in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: Totally unbeknownst to be apparently Indeed.com sent an alert to my current employer to say that I updated my resume and was job searching. I updated a few things last night and when I showed up for work today my manager greeted me with quite a few questions about why I was looking for another job! Um...

My current employer found me through Indeed, so I'm assuming maybe they saved my profile or something like that and now they get alerts on it? I have no clue! I emailed Indeed's customer service to see if there's some way to turn that off but I have't heard anything back.

I use this site a lot to search for jobs and really don't need my current boss knowing that I'm looking! Frankly it's none of their business if I search around.

Has this happened to anyone else? Am I missing something? Can I turn off those alerts somehow or do I have to start using another site like Monster to apply now?

Same thing here. Employer got a message that my resume was updated. Horrible practice on the part of Indeed.

Reply - Report abuse

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

That's definitely weird.

There's honestly zero reason to have a resume posted publicly. Really, unless you're extremely lucky, you'll only get spam in your email, on your phone and in your mailbox. It's not worth it.

But then what about Linked In? What if you update that? That's public too.

So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't?

Personally, I have nothing public. No reason for my employer to see anything. And no reason to be fly paper for spam.

Reply - Report abuse

AndyRising in a State of Bliss

28 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: But then what about Linked In? What if you update that? That's public too.

You can set LinkedIn to NOT broadcast when you make changes. That doesn't stop anyone from occasionally looking at your profile "by hand" to see whether you've made changes.

Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Shreveport, Louisiana

27 months ago

It's likely they flag resumes for open positions Because you have them listed by name and job title, an alert was sent to them.

Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Detroit, Michigan

27 months ago

The 'alert' function through Indeed has to do with specific updates. For example, if I update the name of my company, or my job description to a specific title, AND my company has the alerts set, they will be notified. How can you work around this? The only thing you can do is list your company as 'confidential' or list your name as 'confidential'. I would definitely set up a generic email and list my resume under confidential.
Other than that, there isn't much you can do. It's unfortunate that your employer is more concerned THAT you are looking to leave and not addressing the internal WHY you would want to leave.

Reply - Report abuse

Marvin in Minneapolis, Minnesota

27 months ago

Jennifer,
As of today, Indeed doesn't have anyway to block certain employers yet, I've thought of that too. I wonder if your manager did "subscribe" to you, and other co-workers. He/she must be insecure to do ylthis to you. Sorry to hear this!!! Have you tried to ma I e your resume "private"??

Reply - Report abuse

Marvin in Minneapolis, Minnesota

27 months ago

Make your resume private, sorry, typed this on my phone :-)

Reply - Report abuse

Brent in Vienna, Virginia

23 months ago

Just so everybody is aware, indeed uses an XML based site which can be integrated into custom software. If you have a decent IT person at your work who is told to, all he has to do is run a script which searches for changes to the personel who work for the company. It may not have been indeed who notified your company but a script the company has running which noticed the update. Depending on the sensitivity an employee has access to, many companies will terminate an employee looking for another job for the same reason the military will kick you out if you start looking into moving to another country. It's a matter of security for the company you work for.

Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia in Los Angeles, California

14 months ago

Yes! Happened to me just three days ago. I thought just like freedom of speech, we are able to do what we want!

Reply - Report abuse

uptoyou in providence, Rhode Island

13 months ago

Brent in Vienna, Virginia said: Just so everybody is aware, indeed uses an XML based site which can be integrated into custom software. If you have a decent IT person at your work who is told to, all he has to do is run a script which searches for changes to the personel who work for the company. It may not have been indeed who notified your company but a script the company has running which noticed the update. Depending on the sensitivity an employee has access to, many companies will terminate an employee looking for another job for the same reason the military will kick you out if you start looking into moving to another country. It's a matter of security for the company you work for.

I know of someone who got fired for looking for another job, but she was doing it on company time and using the company computer to look for something else. Yipes

Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

13 months ago

uptoyou in providence, Rhode Island said: I know of someone who got fired for looking for another job, but she was doing it on company time and using the company computer to look for something else. Yipes

That's just stupid today. I.T. can see all that now with key logger programs.

Reply - Report abuse

brentg in Lorton, Virginia

12 months ago

Employers can set alerts to job searches. It's common practice to set an alert to search for just one persons name. If they update their resume, the employer is notified. It's primarily for the thought process of, if you are going to start looking for another job, I'm going to start looking for your replacement. I've had employees notice that we've posted there job online just after they reposeted their resume. Heck, I've had employees apply to their own job before.
You don't have to make your resume publicly available if you are looking for a new job, and I would never recommend doing it on company time.

Reply - Report abuse

Denise in New Castle, Delaware

11 months ago

The same scenario happened with me, I've been with my job over a year and decide to update my resume. I didn't think I was harming anyone of anyway. My manager questioned me about it weeks later. The manager took it as an insult and used a very tacky confrontational defensive approach as to why I was wrong. The manager is still confused and angry about the circumstance. So now I really have to move on for better pay and a peice of mind. It's my business to update my resume and always be in network, 80-90% people would take an offer if it was better than their current situation. Life is about evolving. Always stay hungry for success. It's unfortunate that my manager would take it so personally when BUSINESS is just BUSINESS.

Reply - Report abuse

Spencer in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

10 months ago

The same happened to me yesterday. My boss pulls me aside and tells me that he was notified that I updated my Indeed profile.

Indeed needs to stop this before someone sues them for lost wages.

Reply - Report abuse

carterbuersken in Minnneapolis, Minnesota

8 months ago

Yes this happened to me I was hired by a employer through indeed was bored on lunch and applied for a couple of jobs on my lunch from my phone and then was fired 3 days later but do we really know if indeed notifies them that we updated our resume or applied for another job?

Thanks
Carter Buersken

Reply - Report abuse

Rich in Detroit, Michigan

8 months ago

John in MD in Catonsville, Maryland said: When I had a public resume, I do not remember getting even one legit notice about a job.

It's good to have sites with job ads but submitting information electronically is an opening for criminals! Companies need to STOP using eATS's and go back to paper resumes and on-site applications. It's better for the applicant and the hiring company.

I know using an eATS seems like it save money but NOT in the long run. Look at how companies now put "NO RECRUITERS" in their ads. A outside recruiter/eATS approach has NOT improved anything but instead has increased hiring problems and costs. Companies that use eATS's are paying a steep price for their mistake and they will slowly find they have not only ruined their reputation but also they will be at risk for being sued when information is taken by hackers.

Reply - Report abuse

carterbuersken in Minnneapolis, Minnesota

8 months ago

I agree my thing is does indeed alert an employer after hiring you that you either made changes or applied to other jobs because that's not a public or private thing.

Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Baltimore, Maryland

7 months ago

I believe you can set your profile to private and send resume' to select companies opposed to a public resume where they search and receive updates automatically.

Reply - Report abuse

BallyKissAngel in Coventry, United Kingdom

5 months ago

I am sure that there is no law against simply keeping your CV up to date. We all often leave them until to late, then they become very time consuming.

Reply - Report abuse

LizJ21 in Manassas, Virginia

5 months ago

I work in HR- HR/employers that use Indeed will receive alerts any time that any employee in the company uses Indeed. Our corporate office received alerts and then notifies HR in the field/at store/office locations, that one of their employees is looking.

Best practice- use a fake name. Unfortunately, other sites offer the same services. Additionally, if an employer has a search set up for a particular job (Benefits Analyst, or Plumber) then the updated resume with the title of that position noted is emailed daily to the employer- each time that you update it. I once received an employee's resume daily for 2 weeks straight because he was an IT Specialist and I had a job alert set to email me new or recently updated resumes for IT Specialists in my area. I don't usually confront employees when their resume is emailed to me, not a good reaction by the manager. Try being in HR looking for another job- it's rough! Good luck. If a company takes proper care of employees, they shouldn't be too worried.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Silly me in Charlton, Massachusetts

4 months ago

Indeed sent my boss my resume. He confronted me. He said he needed to know if I was leaving, apparently to not include me in projects if I wasn't going on be there. My boss advertises on Indeed and apparently my resume matched their need. Thanks for jeapodizing my job, Indeed. They should not be doing this. I deleted my resume. Guess there is no such thing as casual job "looking". Did open the door as to why I bowse.

Reply - Report abuse

AtExit8 in City, New Jersey

4 months ago

Silly me in Charlton, Massachusetts said: Indeed sent my boss my resume. He confronted me. He said he needed to know if I was leaving, apparently to not include me in projects if I wasn't going on be there. My boss advertises on Indeed and apparently my resume matched their need. Thanks for jeapodizing my job, Indeed. They should not be doing this. I deleted my resume. Guess there is no such thing as casual job "looking". Did open the door as to why I bowse.

Don't leave your resume on Indeed.

I don't.

When I see a job, I click Apply.
I upload my resume.
Type a few words in the Cover Letter textbox.
Simple.

Reply - Report abuse

-indeedhost in Austin, Texas

4 months ago

Silly me in Charlton, Massachusetts said: Indeed sent my boss my resume. He confronted me. He said he needed to know if I was leaving, apparently to not include me in projects if I wasn't going on be there. My boss advertises on Indeed and apparently my resume matched their need. Thanks for jeapodizing my job, Indeed. They should not be doing this. I deleted my resume. Guess there is no such thing as casual job "looking". Did open the door as to why I bowse.
Hello!

When you post a resume to your Indeed account, you can make it public or private. If your resume is public, it is visible to anyone.

Just as you can create job alert emails and we'll email you jobs that match your criteria, employers can create resume alerts. If your employer has created a resume alert and your resume 1. is public and 2. contains the same keywords your employer is using for their alert, it is possible that your resume will be included in your employer's alert.

If you need help with updating the privacy settings of your resume or if you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to us at http://www.indeed.com/support/contact and our Support Team will happily assist you.

Take Care,
Indeed Host
http://www.indeed.com/help

Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

4 months ago

Today, that is as dumb as leaving your resume on the office copier use to be. I never post my resume online. Nothing is private anymore.

Reply - Report abuse

Kaitlin in Crosswicks, New Jersey

3 months ago

Jennifer in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: It's possible, I suppose. But that would be highly coincidental and strange that I only just did it last night, and they brought it up this morning.

My boss just fired me because I was on indeed last night and changed my resume

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Guelph, Ontario

2 months ago

Jennifer in Asbury Park, New Jersey said: Yes, I am aware anyone can view my resume. However, I was told by my current employer that Indeed specifically alerted them to my activity on the site.

Obviously I'd like my resume to be public if I'm job searching. I just don't need Indeed to go out of it's way to let my current job know that I'm doing so.

This also happened to my fiance this last week. We are trying to find him work closer to home but somehow thru indeed his current employer found up. Very upsetting!!!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

AtExit8 in City, New Jersey

2 months ago

Why do you have a resume on Indeed?

Just upload your resume when you apply for a job you want.

Why do people do things that make NO sense!

Reply - Report abuse

ethoma12002 in Lafayette, Louisiana

2 months ago

AtExit8 in City, New Jersey said: Why do you have a resume on Indeed?

Just upload your resume when you apply for a job you want.

Why do people do things that make NO sense!

I have my resume on Indeed set to public and have applied to hundreds of jobs. However, I've never got the job. The one that I think I am about to get offered actually contacted me this time. This is the only job that has found me by keyword search and I think it is in the bag.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.