New Formal Office Dress Code

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

logongra in Burton-on-trent, United Kingdom

6 months ago

For the past three years the company I work for has allowed wearing business casual clothing for office staff. However even though we are not public facing, they have now decided they want to return to formal dress so they have issued a new formal dress code. We have all now been communicated to about it and given a copy of the new office dress code. For male employees like me, it will mean rather than being allowed to wear a polo type shirt, a formal long sleeved collared shirt and a tie will have to be worn at all times.

We have a very good idea that the change of dress code is due to some employees taking advantage and going more casual than business casual, and the company has now decided they need to take action.

When we previously had a formal dress code, our manager then was never over strict about it, and there were some who did step a little outside of the boundaries. However the manager we now have has told us that the new dress code will be strictly enforced at all times, and she will be formally disciplining any member of staff if they attend work inappropriately dressed in anything outside of the dress code.

I’d say that whilst she is a very good ambitious young manager who keeps mainly to the rule, she is not normally over strict and she is easy to get on with, but to just inform staff that she will be formally disciplining anyone if they are seen not adhering to the new policy seems rather harsh.

The decisions on this may well have been passed down to her from higher management though I have a strong feeling that she herself favors the change back to a formal dress code so it could well be that she finds this the best way to ensure that staff strictly adhere to the formal dress code.

You may think differently to me, some of our staff feel that she is being fair by making it clear now that we will be disciplined for not adhering to the new code.

Tell me your honest opinion, is she being harsh or perfectly fair?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

AndyRising in a State of Bliss

6 months ago

I think paragraph two is the reason for paragraph three. And you should be prepared for at least a year of tie-wearing before they relax (if they ever do).

Do they still sell clip-on ties?

Do bow ties count?

How about bolo ties or string ties?

Ask your manager these important questions.

Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

6 months ago

logongra in Burton-on-trent, United Kingdom said:

Tell me your honest opinion, is she being harsh or perfectly fair?

I think she understands her place on the food chain as should you. I have never fought dress codes and only remember once being "sent home" because I wore a sleeveless dress which was not allowed. Yes it was in our handbook and no, I missed that part. I worked in a bank at the time.

Corporations really have a disdain for strong showings of individuality so have your workday "uniforms" and then have your weekend attire. Moving on...

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

AndyRising in a State of Bliss said: I think paragraph two is the reason for paragraph three. And you should be prepared for at least a year of tie-wearing before they relax (if they ever do).

Do bow ties count?

I worked for one bank where black was the only acceptable color for shoes. Another place, you could choose your color of shoe but the shoe (woman's) had to have a back strap and no "peek toe" shoes were allowed. They said it was for safety purposes but one of the Directors had an unhealthy fetish about women's toes.

Reply - Report abuse

logongra in Burton-on-trent, United Kingdom

6 months ago

AndyRising in a State of Bliss said: I think paragraph two is the reason for paragraph three. And you should be prepared for at least a year of tie-wearing before they relax (if they ever do).

Do bow ties count?

Yes I'm sure you are right about paragraph 2 being the reason for paragraph 3, it is a shame that some took advantage and have now spoilt the casual dress policy that so may staff have enjoyed.

I think ties will now be part of office attire in our company for many years to come. It states very clearly in the new dress code that all male members of staff will wear a long sleeved collared shirt and a tie at all times which I'm fairly sure will mean a conventional tie.

I doubt that the company will relax this rule anytime soon as our manager has already told us that the formal dress code will be strictly enforced at all times and made it clear to us that she will be formally disciplining any member of staff who does not comply.

I think she is putting it across like this because the company are very determined not to allow dress standards to slip like it did with a casual dress policy.

Reply - Report abuse

logongra in Coventry, United Kingdom

6 months ago

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I think she understands her place on the food chain as should you. I have never fought dress codes and only remember once being "sent home" because I wore a sleeveless dress which was not allowed. Yes it was in our handbook and no, I missed that part. I worked in a bank at the time.

Corporations really have a disdain for strong showings of individuality so have your workday "uniforms" and then have your weekend attire. Moving on...

It's a good point you make about missing something in the handbook and then wearing a sleeveless dress that you didn't realize was outside of the dress code and then being sent home. For a male member of staff, I think things are a little more straight forward:Long sleeved formal collared shirt, tie, formal office type black trousers and appropriate shoes. I am still going to check through what is written into the new dress code just in case!

Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

logongra in Coventry, United Kingdom said: It's a good point you make about missing something in the handbook and then wearing a sleeveless dress that you didn't realize was outside of the dress code and then being sent home. For a male member of staff, I think things are a little more straight forward:Long sleeved formal collared shirt, tie, formal office type black trousers and appropriate shoes. I am still going to check through what is written into the new dress code just in case!

I agree. Other women were sent home or reprimanded for "tramp stamps" showing, mini-mini skirts, shoes without back straps, or what they called "peek toe" shoes. Whatever the reasoning, its best not to challenge the status quo over something so petty.

Even on those stupid "Casual Friday's" don't stray too far from the norm. Always leave a tie in the drawer.

Reply - Report abuse

logongra in Leicester, United Kingdom

6 months ago

I won't be challenging the dress code at all, I still feel that its come across as very strict that they will go straight to formal discipline without just a quiet word first. That's a good tip you give about keeping a spare tie in my desk drawer.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.