PTA: Is it Possible??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Leya Lee20 in Folsom, California

26 months ago

I have a couple questions regarding the Physical Therapy field that I was hoping you could answer. I want to be a Physical Therapy Assistant but I have one major problem.
I have a rather serious contact Nickel allergy. After touching metal for just a short time (such as lifting metal free weights at the gym for one day) I get itchy rashes on my hands and wrists, and watery blisters between my fingers). As a result, I only use the machine weights with the rubberized handles as I am okay after using them. The symptoms following contact with metals such as steel (which contains nickel) can last for weeks or even a couple of months if I mess with them as they are aggravated by stress (a lot) , coffee, sweating and scratching. It is a confirmed nickel allergy that is rather serious. In addition I also have a confirmed contact allergy to potassium dichromate (chromium salts). I was wondering if a career as a physical therapist assistant may be okay for me? Is there a lot of exposed metal such as steel in a physical therapist setting that I would be touching a lot? I would very much like to become a PTA, but wonder if these allergies will be a barrier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.