Would you leave your new job for a even better one if you just started

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Mech-Phree in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

So heres the situation. I just started working (almost a week) at a new job doing receiving. It's not in my field which I went to school for but i was just doing it to past the time until I get something thats in my field. Now this job is temp-to hire and my contract is ONLY for 90 days. It's not even like if I do good during those 90 days they'll hire me, they first have to see if a position is even open then I'll have to re-interview for the position then I would be hired. But anyways...

Two days ago I got a call about a job that was in my field which is paying alot more money but it's a bit farther. They want me to set up a interview and come in on Monday . I've already informed my new job I would be missing work on Monday due to "family emergencies" lol...

Now if you were in my situation what would you do? Would you leave the new temp job you just started working if you got hired for the other one? I already know if I get hired for it i'm leaving this temp job..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

In a minute.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

26 months ago

By that I mean the hard part is getting the job and getting through the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Californian in Castro Valley, California

26 months ago

I once left a job after 4 hours. I negotiated a much, much better rate with another company during lunch and moved on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EducatorMI in Ferndale, Michigan

26 months ago

Absolutely, especially because you only have 90 contracted days at your current job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Californian in Castro Valley, California said: I once left a job after 4 hours. I negotiated a much, much better rate with another company during lunch and moved on.

You win. My shortest job was two weeks and I never even went back to pick up the check. No, I didn't put that job on my resume either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

Don't walk. Run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mech-Phree in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

My shortest job was 2 and a half days. It was through a staffing company (I'm currently under another staffing company at my current receiving position) so thats why i'm going to at least go interview for it. If I receive the new position great, if I don't at least i'll still have work.

I don't even have to give them a "two week notice" actually either considering they aren't in my field and i'm officially labeled a "temp".

The thing is , nothings wrong with receiving, the jobs nice and the people are as well, it's just when you work in receiving there are close to none advancement opportunities. I know one guy who has been in that department for over 33 years and he's just a regular worker. I couldn't see my self ever staying with a company that long and not practically own it.

Also, being temp and contractual it's pretty much put me in limbo because I can't move to a differen't area for fear of I can be fired any time for anything and won't be able to pay rent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

26 months ago

My shortest job was 3 and half days. The interview process for that job was 3 months and it went back and forth with them changing their mind several times. Then they changed their mind again after hiring me because they decided not to go the direction they originally said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.