How do I create a generic resume through Taleo?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 70)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

IBelieve in Union City, California

49 months ago

Hi. Since so many companies are using Taleo I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to simplify the application process. For example, is it possible to create a generic (resume) template on Taleo and transfer/copy that info over to the specific companies that are hiring, rather than registering for a separate account with each and every company? I looked on Taleo's website but didn't find any info on this topic.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Northbrook, Illinois

49 months ago

Yes and no. Taleo has a site at talentexchange.com for setting up a candidate profile, but most firms have customized versions of applicant tracking systems like Taleo. The required fields are going to be very different depending on the employer. Your best bet is to use an IE or Firefox app extension like InFormEnter that let's you fill in forms based on saved information. Or create a text file based on your resume info and then cut and paste.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lewis in Orlando, Florida

41 months ago

To IBelieve: I also want to know the answer to your question. Why can't they just create a basic template that lists job titles, salaries, company names, and education so that information can be on a resume that is uploaded to each company's Taleo site. That way the key information is picked out of the resume and it saves the user time in re-entering the same information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Perry in Florida

39 months ago

Taleo SUCKS!!! It screws up my resume every time. Companies PLEASE STOP using taleo!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

Taleo is one of those most user unfriendly sites I've ever seen. Using it is like Chinese water torture.

Even though you're applying to different companies, if they use Taleo you have to use the same email, user name and password each time. If you don't, you can't continue into the system.

If you do happen to get your name, email and password right, then you wade into the muck of the online application system. You'll find certain fields won't take. You'll find you constantly have to go back and change fields because they won't take. You'll have to upload your resume. Then, you'll have to cut and paste both, and the formatting will be lost.

If you somehow have the patience and the system allows you to proceed, you'll have it finished in about 45 minutes.

Then, when you want to send another resume to a totally different employer and they use Taleo, you won't recall your user name, password or email.

It's so maddening. Is it all a test? Or is it just torture?

Employers, Taleo is a horrible, outdated system. Get rid of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

Whenever I see the "Powered by Taleo" logo, I just skip the job.

Taleo can take in 1,000 apps and in seconds, spit out the "Top Ten". You have to have a perfect work history to make it through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alice44 in Santa Fe, New Mexico

34 months ago

Same problems with Taleo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Quebec, Quebec

31 months ago

Create a "Universal Profile". When you see the UP icon on the sign-in page, click it. Makes your subsequent submissions much simpler. Follow the instructions, and keep 2 things in mind when you see a Taleo site that does not have the 'UP' login option:
1) companies do not share candidates. They never have. Remember dragging a pile of resumes arounnd from place to place? That's because McDonalds doesn't go tell Burger king that they know someone who might fit the profile... that's bad business. It is up to you to make your name known, people complain more now that they have tools that allow them to apply easily to jobs all around the world.
2) Taleo provides a software that handles talent management from the posting of a job to succession planning for employees about to retire... it is designed for the people in HR, not the job seeker. The company uses Taleo software to set up the job pages that people seem to think are complicated, but the company configures everything. Every single market study in the talent management industry points to Taleo as being #1, by a long shot. They are not going anywhere, so learn to love it.

For the haters who think Taleo is some big business job hunter rape machine, the company started in a guys apartment, with the help of a couple of his friends. That's what half of the Taleo haters dreamed of all through school... if you can't stand applying for jobs, make your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Jason in Quebec, Quebec said: Create a "Universal Profile". When you see the UP icon on the sign-in page, click it.
2) Taleo is designed for the people in HR, not the job seeker.

As to #2, thank you, Captain Obvious. This statement makes moot the rest of your post.

I've never seen an option to create a "universal profile" using Taleo. With each employer, I've had to have a separate user name and password and I've had to fill out the entire application piecemeal as well as cut and paste redundant information. And none, I say NONE, of it is user friendly.

Taleo is garbage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chris in Surprise, Arizona

30 months ago

It is amazing how awful Taleo software is for the user. Taleo needs some IT help badly-apparently they have been using their software to try to find quality help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat Mazzola in Burlington, Massachusetts

29 months ago

Jason in Quebec, Quebec said: Create a "Universal Profile". When you see the UP icon on the sign-in page, click it. Makes your subsequent submissions much simpler. Follow the instructions, and keep 2 things in mind when you see a Taleo site that does not have the 'UP' login option:
1) companies do not share candidates. They never have. Remember dragging a pile of resumes arounnd from place to place? That's because McDonalds doesn't go tell Burger king that they know someone who might fit the profile... that's bad business. It is up to you to make your name known, people complain more now that they have tools that allow them to apply easily to jobs all around the world.
2) Taleo provides a software that handles talent management from the posting of a job to succession planning for employees about to retire... it is designed for the people in HR, not the job seeker. The company uses Taleo software to set up the job pages that people seem to think are complicated, but the company configures everything. Every single market study in the talent management industry points to Taleo as being #1, by a long shot. They are not going anywhere, so learn to love it.

For the haters who think Taleo is some big business job hunter rape machine, the company started in a guys apartment, with the help of a couple of his friends. That's what half of the Taleo haters dreamed of all through school... if you can't stand applying for jobs, make your own.

That explains why it works so poorly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

It's brutal, as are most online applications processes. I really enjoy going back to apply at a place where you've previously applied and you can't even get past the password part.

There's no way, with the technology out there, that these online application processes aren't purposely clunky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: It's brutal, as are most online applications processes. I really enjoy going back to apply at a place where you've previously applied and you can't even get past the password part.

Ha! I actually put this on a spreadsheet and use pretty much the same login/password for all of it. I can't remember it all either. lol!

If I have applied 3 times without any response, then I just cross the employer off completely and whenever I see the Taleo logo, I just skip the job completely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TaleoisGarbage in Nice, France

27 months ago

What a crappy and inefficient system! Taleo's going to have to get used to the new economy where people simply don't have the time to fill out convoluted and lengthy application forms. There are other systems that leverage LinkedIn and are SUPER easy and fast. Taleo is GARBAGE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carimel in Albuquerque, New Mexico

26 months ago

Why cannot I not connect? I have tried every computer in the house nd it says diagnose connection problems

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

NurseDebbie in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

23 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: As to #2, thank you, Captain Obvious. This statement makes moot the rest of your post.

I've never seen an option to create a "universal profile" using Taleo. With each employer, I've had to have a separate user name and password and I've had to fill out the entire application piecemeal as well as cut and paste redundant information. And none, I say NONE, of it is user friendly.

Taleo is garbage.

Parafreegal, loved your post, Cpt Obvious,lol. And we're supposed to "learn to love it", in part, because it "was started in some guy's apartment with the help of his friends"? Were they smoking crack? Yes,it's a great HR tool, but sucks for applicant. Taleo guys...PLEASE, go back to the apartment,fire up the pipe, and then apply for 5 jobs at 5 different companies. If you don't lose your freaking minds, please try to figure it out!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Kansas

23 months ago

If my qualifications are a perfect match for the job then I'll do a Taleo application; otherwise I don't even mess with them

Joe Gagill in Pleasant Valley, New York

23 months ago

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Kansas said: If my qualifications are a perfect match for the job then I'll do a Taleo application; otherwise I don't even mess with them

Nice to know your still alive and kicking. I'm about ready to blow my brains out.

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Kansas said: If my qualifications are a perfect match for the job then I'll do a Taleo application; otherwise I don't even mess with them

If your qualifications are not a perfect match then you are wasting your time with Taleo. That is usually while I don't bother with Taleo either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

See? Taleo is doing its job by preempting your applications. Less work for the computer to do. No work for HR to do. Win, win.

Pretty soon, Taleo will preempt all applications and employers will simply use a bidding process to fill jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: See? Taleo is doing its job by preempting your applications. Less work for the computer to do. No work for HR to do. Win, win.

Pretty soon, Taleo will preempt all applications and employers will simply use a bidding process to fill jobs.

I think that is the whole point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

23 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Taleo is one of those most user unfriendly sites I've ever seen. Using it is like Chinese water torture.

Even though you're applying to different companies, if they use Taleo you have to use the same email, user name and password each time. If you don't, you can't continue into the system.

If you do happen to get your name, email and password right, then you wade into the muck of the online application system. You'll find certain fields won't take. You'll find you constantly have to go back and change fields because they won't take. You'll have to upload your resume. Then, you'll have to cut and paste both, and the formatting will be lost.

If you somehow have the patience and the system allows you to proceed, you'll have it finished in about 45 minutes.

Then, when you want to send another resume to a totally different employer and they use Taleo, you won't recall your user name, password or email.

It's so maddening. Is it all a test? Or is it just torture?

Employers, Taleo is a horrible, outdated system. Get rid of it.

I googled Taleo years ago, and I really paid attention to what the IT people were saying about it. They couldn't believe it is so bad, yet, Taleo is a big profit company. Imagine what they sell this software to HR departments for. I wonder if they tell them not to worry if the fields fill out incorrectly, the applicant can correct them...

When I went to Taleo's website, the landing page talked about how to manage "your human capital." Nice, eh...has that ring of slavery..."human capital".

No wonder they don't call it "Personnel" anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

What do these HR clerks do all day?
Isn't it their job to sift through resumes? Why bother to have a resume?
So HR clerks can't decide who is worth taking a look at? They have to have software that they can set benchmarks to filter people out?

23 months ago

In Feb. 2012, Oracle purchased Taleo for $ 1.9 BILLION dollars.

Source is Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taleo

:P

23 months ago

Nearly half of the top 30 career sites in the world are powered by Taleo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Among users of Talent Management solutions, Taleo ranked highest in customer satisfaction with an overall customer satisfaction rate of 94%.[31]

Laughable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: Nearly half of the top 30 career sites in the world are powered by Taleo.

It is usually the large companies that get tons of applicants that use Taleo. They love it - thins out the herd pretty quick.

Ain't technology something? Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: In Feb. 2012, Oracle purchased Taleo for $ 1.9 BILLION dollars.

Source is Wikipedia.

:P

And Larry Ellison who owns Oracle just bought the Hawaiian island of Lanai. LOL!

Google Larry Ellison+Lanai

NurseDebbie in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

23 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: Among users of Talent Management solutions, Taleo ranked highest in customer satisfaction with an overall customer satisfaction rate of 94%.[31]

Laughable.

Who were their customers that were so satisfied? Oh, probably HR's finest!

23 months ago

NurseDebbie in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Who were their customers that were so satisfied? Oh, probably HR's finest!

One wonders why companies have HR people anymore. They let computers do the selecting, managers do the payroll, etc. Or outsource payroll and benefits.

I hope these people put themselves right out of a job. I can't believe that companies spend big money to have this sort of thing going on. Then pay HR "generalists" on top of it.

HR seems to be an ego-drive cushy job in this day and age. And no nights or weekends or holidays. Just dead wood for companies.

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: And Larry Ellison who owns Oracle just bought the Hawaiian island of Lanai. LOL!

Google Larry Ellison+Lanai

Fail-ee-oh

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

23 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: What do these HR clerks do all day?
Isn't it their job to sift through resumes? Why bother to have a resume?
So HR clerks can't decide who is worth taking a look at? They have to have software that they can set benchmarks to filter people out?

You seem to be a "smart" one. What job sites do you use weekly when searching?

Mine are CL, Monster, CB, Dept of Labor, Indeed, sometimes SimplyHired, a local one called HudsonValleyHelpWanted,

To be honest they all rather stink.

23 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: You seem to be a "smart" one. What job sites do you use weekly when searching?

Mine are CL, Monster, CB, Dept of Labor, Indeed, sometimes SimplyHired, a local one called HudsonValleyHelpWanted,

To be honest they all rather stink.

I use those too. Several years ago, I lost my job and those sites were a hell of a lot better than now. Now, they are Scamsville. I am disgusted, too, Joe.

Probably the local one is best.

I am considering making myself a "sandwich board" and standing by the freeway on the curb. "Unemployed College Graduate Will Work for Wages!"

Maybe I can twirl it like those mattress outlet guys do...

23 months ago

People try the sandwich board thing in NYC...never works.

Paul Nawrocki famously tried it in 09 and failed.

I've thought about the billboard.

Thanks, I was just wondering if there were any other sites that were worth a go.

Thanks again.

23 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: People try the sandwich board thing in NYC...never works.

Paul Nawrocki famously tried it in 09 and failed.

I've thought about the billboard.

Thanks, I was just wondering if there were any other sites that were worth a go.

Thanks again.

I think the sites have jobs interchanging between them, as I've found the same jobs on several sites.

I would find the sandwich board less humiliating than any interview I have had with Inhumane Resource people.

I don't think anything online is good anymore. It's a lot like internet dating.

23 months ago

How do you contact people on here, without publicly posting your email or IM name on here?

23 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: How do you contact people on here, without publicly posting your email or IM name on here?

Just tell them to meet you at the corner of Maple and Main at 2 this coming Sunday. That should do it.

Really do not know.

23 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Just tell them to meet you at the corner of Maple and Main at 2 this coming Sunday. That should do it.

Really do not know.

I bet if someone posted an email, every headhunter or Inhumane Resource clerk would write to it to find out who it is. Or the trade schools that seem to hire people to post on HERE full-time.

Write to me at

Work2death@yahoo.com

23 months ago

Don't put your name into a hyperlink that attaches to your email. All you'll get is SPAM. Luckily, mine is my secondary email account.

My local legal site is by far the best as far as legitimate ads go. Problem is, there are so very few ads on there that are good hits for me.

SH and Indeed both suck. Never once have I ever gotten call back from responding to an ad on either. Monster and CL are better, with CL sadly being populated by a lot of scams and info miners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said:

Write to me at

Work2death@yahoo.com

I have to pass. It's not you though, it's me.

See I'm mean, moody, and borderline nuts. I'm actually doing you a favor.

Have a good night. Do something fun Saturday.

23 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said:

My local legal site is by far the best as far as legitimate ads go. Problem is, there are so very few ads on there that are good hits for me.

SH and Indeed both suck. Never once have I ever gotten call back from responding to an ad on either. Monster and CL are better, with CL sadly being populated by a lot of scams and info miners.

Yea, Monster, CL, and the local site are my best too. I like Indeed also.

23 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I have to pass. It's not you though, it's me.

See I'm mean, moody, and borderline nuts. I'm actually doing you a favor.

Have a good night. Do something fun Saturday.

That wasn't a real email. It was for all the schools and HR people scoping out the site!
Have a good weekend too.

I'm getting crazy too. It's not from lack of work. It's from what the world is turning into. Soylent Green, where NYC was 40 million and most unemployed.

23 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Don't put your name into a hyperlink that attaches to your email. All you'll get is SPAM. Luckily, mine is my secondary email account.

Unfortunately, I found out the hard way. I had scammers emailing me from Nigeria.
You can tell by the bad English.

They all want you to open a bank account. I wrote and asked them to send me some bananas instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

NurseDebbie in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Parafreegal, loved your post, Cpt Obvious,lol. And we're supposed to "learn to love it", in part, because it "was started in some guy's apartment with the help of his friends"? Were they smoking crack? Yes,it's a great HR tool, but sucks for applicant. Taleo guys...PLEASE, go back to the apartment,fire up the pipe, and then apply for 5 jobs at 5 different companies. If you don't lose your freaking minds, please try to figure it out!!!

You have to wonder how they could have sold this stuff to companies. How someone justifies this in their budget, and how Taleo is worth billions.

I don't see it as a great Inhumane Resouce tool. I think it absolves them of Accountability, which they all want as part of the hiring process. They don't know how to do our jobs and they don't know how to bring people in. They don't know how to judge a good person, and none of them wants to be the person who hired that guy who went postal or designed a faulty system.

23 months ago

I don't know much about Taleo. I actually filled out a Taleo app today for a gas company.

But it's the Sales staff that sells this to companies and tells them how their lives will be easier and how the right candidate in the end will be selected.

I think HR really sees it as another great tool to have when it comes to hiring...and not about absolving them of accountability.

That's being a little too cynical. How can anyone who has Phoenix weather every week be cynical...it's 40 degrees here in NY.

23 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I don't know much about Taleo. I actually filled out a Taleo app today for a gas company.

But it's the Sales staff that sells this to companies and tells them how their lives will be easier and how the right candidate in the end will be selected.

I think HR really sees it as another great tool to have when it comes to hiring...and not about absolving them of accountability.

That's being a little too cynical. How can anyone who has Phoenix weather every week be cynical...it's 40 degrees here in NY.

Yes, they sell "high tech" to them, and they buy it.

We've had it so hot and now it's nice. But no jobs. You can live anywhere if you have a decent job and peace. I miss the trees and the snow. I am not from here.

Cold climates build better brains.

23 months ago

And NO one tells you about the scorpions until you get here. Just found another one, and I get the inside and outside sprayed. These things are like roaches. (We have those too) Nothing kills them. When you attack a scorp, you have to hit it several times to break its exoskeleton. And these are the nasty bark scorpions. Neurotoxins that can kill an old person or a child. It's not paradise here.

IgnorantEmployees in Mesa, Arizona

23 months ago

Taleo is garbage I agree. What is the point of uploading your resume if it asks for you to input your entire work history?

Stupid HR goons.

IgnorantEmployees in Mesa, Arizona

23 months ago

"And NO one tells you about the scorpions until you get here. Just found another one, and I get the inside and outside sprayed. These things are like roaches. (We have those too) Nothing kills them. When you attack a scorp, you have to hit it several times to break its exoskeleton. And these are the nasty bark scorpions. Neurotoxins that can kill an old person or a child. It's not paradise here."

When we moved here I sealed every single air conditioning vent. Caulked all of the outlets and put covers over ones not used. Just make sure all entry points to your home are sealed. Also Having glue traps near entranceways helps.

Don't bother hiring a pest control company, it's pointless. Go outside every night with a blacklight. Eventually you will eliminate the entire population around your home in a matter of weeks.

Good luck!

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: I think the sites have jobs interchanging between them, as I've found the same jobs on several sites.

I would find the sandwich board less humiliating than any interview I have had with Inhumane Resource people.

I don't think anything online is good anymore. It's a lot like internet dating.

Many sites are aggregators, in that they do pull in the same jobs.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.