How do I create a generic resume through Taleo?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (45)

Jason in Quebec, Quebec

54 months ago

Create a "Universal Profile". When you see the UP icon on the sign-in page, click it. Makes your subsequent submissions much simpler. Follow the instructions, and keep 2 things in mind when you see a Taleo site that does not have the 'UP' login option:
1) companies do not share candidates. They never have. Remember dragging a pile of resumes arounnd from place to place? That's because McDonalds doesn't go tell Burger king that they know someone who might fit the profile... that's bad business. It is up to you to make your name known, people complain more now that they have tools that allow them to apply easily to jobs all around the world.
2) Taleo provides a software that handles talent management from the posting of a job to succession planning for employees about to retire... it is designed for the people in HR, not the job seeker. The company uses Taleo software to set up the job pages that people seem to think are complicated, but the company configures everything. Every single market study in the talent management industry points to Taleo as being #1, by a long shot. They are not going anywhere, so learn to love it.

For the haters who think Taleo is some big business job hunter rape machine, the company started in a guys apartment, with the help of a couple of his friends. That's what half of the Taleo haters dreamed of all through school... if you can't stand applying for jobs, make your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (69) Reply - Report abuse

patmazzola in Burlington, Massachusetts

52 months ago

Jason in Quebec, Quebec said: Create a "Universal Profile". When you see the UP icon on the sign-in page, click it. Makes your subsequent submissions much simpler. Follow the instructions, and keep 2 things in mind when you see a Taleo site that does not have the 'UP' login option:
1) companies do not share candidates. They never have. Remember dragging a pile of resumes arounnd from place to place? That's because McDonalds doesn't go tell Burger king that they know someone who might fit the profile... that's bad business. It is up to you to make your name known, people complain more now that they have tools that allow them to apply easily to jobs all around the world.
2) Taleo provides a software that handles talent management from the posting of a job to succession planning for employees about to retire... it is designed for the people in HR, not the job seeker. The company uses Taleo software to set up the job pages that people seem to think are complicated, but the company configures everything. Every single market study in the talent management industry points to Taleo as being #1, by a long shot. They are not going anywhere, so learn to love it.

For the haters who think Taleo is some big business job hunter rape machine, the company started in a guys apartment, with the help of a couple of his friends. That's what half of the Taleo haters dreamed of all through school... if you can't stand applying for jobs, make your own.

That explains why it works so poorly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

46 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: And Larry Ellison who owns Oracle just bought the Hawaiian island of Lanai. LOL!

Google Larry Ellison+Lanai

Fail-ee-oh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

46 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: What do these HR clerks do all day?
Isn't it their job to sift through resumes? Why bother to have a resume?
So HR clerks can't decide who is worth taking a look at? They have to have software that they can set benchmarks to filter people out?

You seem to be a "smart" one. What job sites do you use weekly when searching?

Mine are CL, Monster, CB, Dept of Labor, Indeed, sometimes SimplyHired, a local one called HudsonValleyHelpWanted,

To be honest they all rather stink.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: You seem to be a "smart" one. What job sites do you use weekly when searching?

Mine are CL, Monster, CB, Dept of Labor, Indeed, sometimes SimplyHired, a local one called HudsonValleyHelpWanted,

To be honest they all rather stink.

I use those too. Several years ago, I lost my job and those sites were a hell of a lot better than now. Now, they are Scamsville. I am disgusted, too, Joe.

Probably the local one is best.

I am considering making myself a "sandwich board" and standing by the freeway on the curb. "Unemployed College Graduate Will Work for Wages!"

Maybe I can twirl it like those mattress outlet guys do...

46 months ago

People try the sandwich board thing in NYC...never works.

Paul Nawrocki famously tried it in 09 and failed.

I've thought about the billboard.

Thanks, I was just wondering if there were any other sites that were worth a go.

Thanks again.

46 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: People try the sandwich board thing in NYC...never works.

Paul Nawrocki famously tried it in 09 and failed.

I've thought about the billboard.

Thanks, I was just wondering if there were any other sites that were worth a go.

Thanks again.

I think the sites have jobs interchanging between them, as I've found the same jobs on several sites.

I would find the sandwich board less humiliating than any interview I have had with Inhumane Resource people.

I don't think anything online is good anymore. It's a lot like internet dating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

How do you contact people on here, without publicly posting your email or IM name on here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: How do you contact people on here, without publicly posting your email or IM name on here?

Just tell them to meet you at the corner of Maple and Main at 2 this coming Sunday. That should do it.

Really do not know.

46 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Just tell them to meet you at the corner of Maple and Main at 2 this coming Sunday. That should do it.

Really do not know.

I bet if someone posted an email, every headhunter or Inhumane Resource clerk would write to it to find out who it is. Or the trade schools that seem to hire people to post on HERE full-time.

Write to me at

Work2death@yahoo.com

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

46 months ago

Don't put your name into a hyperlink that attaches to your email. All you'll get is SPAM. Luckily, mine is my secondary email account.

My local legal site is by far the best as far as legitimate ads go. Problem is, there are so very few ads on there that are good hits for me.

SH and Indeed both suck. Never once have I ever gotten call back from responding to an ad on either. Monster and CL are better, with CL sadly being populated by a lot of scams and info miners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said:

Write to me at

Work2death@yahoo.com

I have to pass. It's not you though, it's me.

See I'm mean, moody, and borderline nuts. I'm actually doing you a favor.

Have a good night. Do something fun Saturday.

46 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said:

My local legal site is by far the best as far as legitimate ads go. Problem is, there are so very few ads on there that are good hits for me.

SH and Indeed both suck. Never once have I ever gotten call back from responding to an ad on either. Monster and CL are better, with CL sadly being populated by a lot of scams and info miners.

Yea, Monster, CL, and the local site are my best too. I like Indeed also.

46 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I have to pass. It's not you though, it's me.

See I'm mean, moody, and borderline nuts. I'm actually doing you a favor.

Have a good night. Do something fun Saturday.

That wasn't a real email. It was for all the schools and HR people scoping out the site!
Have a good weekend too.

I'm getting crazy too. It's not from lack of work. It's from what the world is turning into. Soylent Green, where NYC was 40 million and most unemployed.

46 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Don't put your name into a hyperlink that attaches to your email. All you'll get is SPAM. Luckily, mine is my secondary email account.

Unfortunately, I found out the hard way. I had scammers emailing me from Nigeria.
You can tell by the bad English.

They all want you to open a bank account. I wrote and asked them to send me some bananas instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

NurseDebbie in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Parafreegal, loved your post, Cpt Obvious,lol. And we're supposed to "learn to love it", in part, because it "was started in some guy's apartment with the help of his friends"? Were they smoking crack? Yes,it's a great HR tool, but sucks for applicant. Taleo guys...PLEASE, go back to the apartment,fire up the pipe, and then apply for 5 jobs at 5 different companies. If you don't lose your freaking minds, please try to figure it out!!!

You have to wonder how they could have sold this stuff to companies. How someone justifies this in their budget, and how Taleo is worth billions.

I don't see it as a great Inhumane Resouce tool. I think it absolves them of Accountability, which they all want as part of the hiring process. They don't know how to do our jobs and they don't know how to bring people in. They don't know how to judge a good person, and none of them wants to be the person who hired that guy who went postal or designed a faulty system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

I don't know much about Taleo. I actually filled out a Taleo app today for a gas company.

But it's the Sales staff that sells this to companies and tells them how their lives will be easier and how the right candidate in the end will be selected.

I think HR really sees it as another great tool to have when it comes to hiring...and not about absolving them of accountability.

That's being a little too cynical. How can anyone who has Phoenix weather every week be cynical...it's 40 degrees here in NY.

46 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: I don't know much about Taleo. I actually filled out a Taleo app today for a gas company.

But it's the Sales staff that sells this to companies and tells them how their lives will be easier and how the right candidate in the end will be selected.

I think HR really sees it as another great tool to have when it comes to hiring...and not about absolving them of accountability.

That's being a little too cynical. How can anyone who has Phoenix weather every week be cynical...it's 40 degrees here in NY.

Yes, they sell "high tech" to them, and they buy it.

We've had it so hot and now it's nice. But no jobs. You can live anywhere if you have a decent job and peace. I miss the trees and the snow. I am not from here.

Cold climates build better brains.

46 months ago

And NO one tells you about the scorpions until you get here. Just found another one, and I get the inside and outside sprayed. These things are like roaches. (We have those too) Nothing kills them. When you attack a scorp, you have to hit it several times to break its exoskeleton. And these are the nasty bark scorpions. Neurotoxins that can kill an old person or a child. It's not paradise here.

IgnorantEmployees in Mesa, Arizona

46 months ago

Taleo is garbage I agree. What is the point of uploading your resume if it asks for you to input your entire work history?

Stupid HR goons.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

"And NO one tells you about the scorpions until you get here. Just found another one, and I get the inside and outside sprayed. These things are like roaches. (We have those too) Nothing kills them. When you attack a scorp, you have to hit it several times to break its exoskeleton. And these are the nasty bark scorpions. Neurotoxins that can kill an old person or a child. It's not paradise here."

When we moved here I sealed every single air conditioning vent. Caulked all of the outlets and put covers over ones not used. Just make sure all entry points to your home are sealed. Also Having glue traps near entranceways helps.

Don't bother hiring a pest control company, it's pointless. Go outside every night with a blacklight. Eventually you will eliminate the entire population around your home in a matter of weeks.

Good luck!

Bluetea in Texas

46 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: I think the sites have jobs interchanging between them, as I've found the same jobs on several sites.

I would find the sandwich board less humiliating than any interview I have had with Inhumane Resource people.

I don't think anything online is good anymore. It's a lot like internet dating.

Many sites are aggregators, in that they do pull in the same jobs.

Bluetea in Texas

46 months ago

IgnorantEmployees in Mesa, Arizona said: Taleo is garbage I agree. What is the point of uploading your resume if it asks for you to input your entire work history?

Stupid HR goons.

Uploading your resume is just too make you feel good. Except for stripping off your name and address, Taleo ignores it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

IgnorantEmployees in Mesa, Arizona said: "And NO one tells you about the scorpions until you get here. Just found another one, and I get the inside and outside sprayed. These things are like roaches. (We have those too) Nothing kills them. When you attack a scorp, you have to hit it several times to break its exoskeleton. And these are the nasty bark scorpions. Neurotoxins that can kill an old person or a child. It's not paradise here."

When we moved here I sealed every single air conditioning vent. Caulked all of the outlets and put covers over ones not used. Just make sure all entry points to your home are sealed. Also Having glue traps near entranceways helps.

Don't bother hiring a pest control company, it's pointless. Go outside every night with a blacklight. Eventually you will eliminate the entire population around your home in a matter of weeks.

Good luck!

Yes, have gone hunting for them, quite fun. I love animals but don't mind killing these things.

I have glue traps all over, under the doors, anywhere I've found them.

I swear when I moved out here, there were jobs. Now, none.

46 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Uploading your resume is just too make you feel good. Except for stripping off your name and address, Taleo ignores it.

One wonders how that company sold for over a billion.
And why anyone has to fill out an application...

These HR people complain they have too many applications come through. Well...

It is as if a resume means nothing. I really dislike giving out the last 7 places I lived and agreeing to all these agreements for every single job.

Who came up with this? Are they crazy? Has the world gone mad?

46 months ago

I honestly think the problem here in Phoenix has a lot to do with the Immigration issues this area faces.

These people will work for nothing. And remember they don't just all mow lawns and clean houses. Some of them have degrees from Mexico. I'm sad to say this but I may have to move soon. I hear Texas is better. It's too bad because I REALLY like the phoenix area. It's so beautiful and interesting here. However, I also need to be working. If I'm not making any money all the rest is pointless.

Bluetea in Texas

46 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: One wonders how that company sold for over a billion.
And why anyone has to fill out an application...

These HR people complain they have too many applications come through. Well...

It is as if a resume means nothing. I really dislike giving out the last 7 places I lived and agreeing to all these agreements for every single job.

Who came up with this? Are they crazy? Has the world gone mad?

Ain't technology something? LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

IgnorantEmployees in Mesa, Arizona said: I honestly think the problem here in Phoenix has a lot to do with the Immigration issues this area faces.

These people will work for nothing. And remember they don't just all mow lawns and clean houses. Some of them have degrees from Mexico. I'm sad to say this but I may have to move soon. I hear Texas is better. It's too bad because I REALLY like the phoenix area. It's so beautiful and interesting here. However, I also need to be working. If I'm not making any money all the rest is pointless.

You are very correct. And they get freebies we don't get. In the state of Arizona, you can't get Medicaid unless you are a woman with kids. <cough>

You know what I don't like about this area? It is going to hell in a handbasket, and the people who live in gated communities could care less.

46 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Ain't technology something? LOL!

And it's not really high tech either, they just tell them that. You can imagine the "meeting of the minds" when an HR department convinces their higher powers that they
have to go all tech with the hiring process. "We really need this."

lbennick in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

44 months ago

Can somoeone from HR chime in because I want to know if companies really get anyone through their talent acquisition process and do they really want to hire people?

Elucia in Oxnard, California

43 months ago

Taleo is {sic} not an effective way to screen applicants. The query system that extracts the skills/experience is deficient in the human critical analysis to comprehend that skill sets can cross many different industries. This exclusivity bars many qualified candidates from entry into a position that they are very capable of easily adapting and working at a high level of performance.

Mk in Vancouver, Washington

41 months ago

ORACLE TALEO SUPPORT
Uno Eight Hundred Two two tree 1 seben 1 one

I am hoping that if enough people call them and ask them to wake up and have the Corporations using the service to give a sample of what works that something will be done, but my guess is that these phone numbers get changed in the near future instead.

Here is something that may help if enough of us start calling and complaining that this service stinks for job seekers.

Here is the text from Oracles Taleo support page.
Notice it is all about the customer and not the job seeker.
This al started out as an attempt by me to find a sample of what Taleo is looking for in order for it to pull the right information from my resume without me having to reformat it for every submission. What a terrible waste of time for those that can least afford to be wasting time. Wake UP ORACLE.

Support
Online: Go to My Oracle Support to find answers in the Oracle Support Knowledge Base, submit, update or review your Service Requests, engage the My Oracle Support Community, download software updates, and tap into Oracle proactive support tools and best practices. (you must have purchased support)
Had the phone number here but Indeed would not allow so I put this here instead Oracle says that (You must have purchased support.)
Hearing impaired customers in the U.S. who need to speak with an Oracle Support representative may use a telecommunications relay service (TRS); information about TRS is available at www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/trs.html, and a list of phone numbers is available at www.fcc.gov/cgb/dro/trsphonebk.html. International hearing impaired customers should use the TRS at (deleted by Indeed Sorry) Once in contact with Oracle Support an engineer will handle technical issues according to normal service request handling processes.
Support Sales
Had the phone number here but Indeed would not allow so I put this here instead

Bluetea in Texas

41 months ago

lbennick in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Can somoeone from HR chime in because I want to know if companies really get anyone through their talent acquisition process and do they really want to hire people?

Everytime I read Talent Acquisition, it makes me want to bring my tap dancing shoes to my next interview.

I remember when it was called Pesonnel but you were a person back then. Now you are a widget.

Bluetea in Texas

41 months ago

Mk in Vancouver, Washington said: ORACLE TALEO SUPPORT
Uno Eight Hundred Two two tree 1 seben 1 one

I am hoping that if enough people call them and ask them to wake up and have the Corporations using the service to give a sample of what works that something will be done, but my guess is that these phone numbers get changed in the near future instead.

Here is something that may help if enough of us start calling and complaining that this service stinks for job seekers.

Support
Online: Go to My Oracle Support to find answers in the Oracle Support Knowledge Base, submit, update or review your Service Requests, engage the My Oracle Support Community, download software updates, and tap into Oracle proactive support tools and best practices. (you must have purchased support)
Had the phone number here but Indeed would not allow so I put this here instead Oracle says that (You must have purchased support.)
Hearing impaired customers in the U.S. who need to speak with an Oracle Support representative may use a telecommunications relay service (TRS); information about TRS is available at www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/trs.html , and a list of phone numbers is available at www.fcc.gov/cgb/dro/trsphonebk.html . International hearing impaired customers should use the TRS at (deleted by Indeed Sorry) Once in contact with Oracle Support an engineer will handle technical issues according to normal service request handling processes.
Support Sales
Had the phone number here but Indeed would not allow so I put this here instead

Taleo is customizable to the user. That is why you have to reformat it each time. They do have a Taleo Master template but I have never been able to get it to work.

I generally pass when I see the Taleo logo, which is part of its sales appeal. Limit the number of applicants straight away.

chandler0223 in Rocklin, California

33 months ago

Using an excuse like competing employers do not like to share candidates and that is why we have to re-enter everything for each Taleo site is garbage. There are sites that allow job applicants to use their monster.com or linkedin.com data. Wow! what an idea. Us one website as a master and tell other websites to copy it. Crazy isn't it?

jesus4gaveme03 in Everett, Washington

30 months ago

Jason in Quebec "1) companies do not share candidates. They never have. Remember dragging a pile of resumes arounnd from place to place? That's because McDonalds doesn't go tell Burger king that they know someone who might fit the profile... that's bad business. It is up to you to make your name known, people complain more now that they have tools that allow them to apply easily to jobs all around the world"

McDonalds doesn't have to share candidates with Burger King. Companies like Boeing and Lockheed both use other job search engines like beyond.com but we are still able to use our own custom profile information to fill a standardized form and any additional information each company requires can be filled out "by hand." Why is it so hard for Taleo to care for the applicant and comply to the same standards?

EndlessJoy in Atlanta, Georgia

30 months ago

IgnorantEmployees in Mesa, Arizona said: "And NO one tells you about the scorpions until you get here. Just found another one, and I get the inside and outside sprayed. These things are like roaches. (We have those too) Nothing kills them. When you attack a scorp, you have to hit it several times to break its exoskeleton. And these are the nasty bark scorpions. Neurotoxins that can kill an old person or a child. It's not paradise here."

Good luck!

OOPS! I interrupted the previous post by posting in between it. Sorry!

WOW! That's what might be called putting up with a lot for your job. But you have to do what you have to do for now.

jjjjxxxx in Rocklin, California

29 months ago

In the day of paper we had to make copies for everyone. This is a stupid reply to a problem that is easily solved by a few lines of code. LinkedIn.com manages to map all my resume information into many different application sites. Taleo needs to catch up with technology. Again, job hunting is about statistics. The more jobs a candidate supplies his resume to the more likely his odds of success grow. There is no way around that fact. You can help job seekers or see them go to another easier services. I really don't care about the rivalry between burger king and mcdonalds. That is not my problem. I'll be happy to work for either of them or the one that pays the most.

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

The problem is Taleo is paid by the job producers - not the job seekers. So Taleo has no incentive to change unless the job producers aren't satisfied.

Taleo is a sifting and sorting tool which weeds out people in multiple phases. It weeds out people who see Taleo and don't bother. It weeds out people who start the Taleo application and don't finish. It weeds out people who have completed the Taleo application by keyword. And then further weeding out is then done by the employer via interviews.

That's Taleo.

jjjjxxxx in Rocklin, California

29 months ago

excuses, excuses. LinkedIn.com has overcome all this my autofilling from a person's linkedin.com profile to many job application websites. Easy, simple and saves everyone time including the job seeker and employer.

Dave Mitchell in Seattle, Washington

29 months ago

jjjjxxxx in Rocklin, California said: excuses, excuses. LinkedIn.com has overcome all this my autofilling from a person's linkedin.com profile to many job application websites. Easy, simple and saves everyone time including the job seeker and employer.

I agree 100%. Taleo should be banned. Indeed is the way to go, and I'm looking, and do not work for Indeed!

Ramesh Bas in Corona, California

27 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Whenever I see the "Powered by Taleo" logo, I just skip the job.

Taleo can take in 1,000 apps and in seconds, spit out the "Top Ten". You have to have a perfect work history to make it through.

Yes. I do the same. Can't they use a simple mail resume to the hiring manager? or an XML template to fill in and upload?

Sunseeker in Houston, TX in La Mirada, California

21 months ago

NurseDebbie in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: Parafreegal, loved your post, Cpt Obvious,lol. And we're supposed to "learn to love it", in part, because it "was started in some guy's apartment with the help of his friends"? Were they smoking crack? Yes,it's a great HR tool, but sucks for applicant. Taleo guys...PLEASE, go back to the apartment, fire up the pipe, and then apply for 5 jobs at 5 different companies. If you don't lose your freaking minds, please try to figure it out!!!

Exactly, I would have to agree with you...and as software developer, Taleo has to be the biggest pile of crap I have ever encountered.

jcplayer04 in Rye, New York

17 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: What do these HR clerks do all day?
Isn't it their job to sift through resumes? Why bother to have a resume?
So HR clerks can't decide who is worth taking a look at? They have to have software that they can set benchmarks to filter people out?

Correct, most HR "clerks" cannot decide who is best qualified. The problem with human resources or talent acquisition/recruiters is that they are not qualified to determine if candidate A is better the candidate B. For example, within a financial organization, why would a recruiter interview a candidate for a equity analyst or trading position. They have never traded or put together financial models. Human capital growth is the key to any companies success. You will start to see companies allocate more time and money to "talent acquisition groups." Goldman Sachs probably has the best talent acquisition group in the world. Regardless of your feelings towards Goldman, they continue to stay ahead of the curve in regards to innovative business practices.

anonymous in Carson, California

13 months ago

This wasn't helpful AT ALL. Sign in using the UP icon? Well, no kidding. The rest of the original post just tells us how much HR loves Taleo. Again, no kidding. Do you have any tips that might actually help a job-seeker? Like, is there a maximum number of allowed characters per line? Are there any section headings which are not acceptable? Is a SKiLLS section a waste of time? Are dates of employment with only the years acceptable, or does one have to put in months as well?

And why the heck do employers seem to keep the ideal format for Applicant Tracking Systems A SECRET? Is it supposed to test our problem-solving skills? Most of us were unaware that there is even a problem to begin with. In the meantime, companies are potentially missing out on some great candidates simply because there are seldom any clear directions on how to make an ATS-friendly resume. How is this a good thing?

And I'm afraid to even attach my real name to this post, lest an employer find it and blacklist me for pointing out THAT THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN!!!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.