12 job interviews but no job offers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 238)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

MLS250 in Birmingham, Alabama

36 months ago

Here's the link to an excellent article about the decrimination the long term

employed have to deal with from potential employers and what is being done to prevent hiring discrimination.
unemployedworkers.org/sites/unemployedworkers/index.php/site/blog_entry/bill_would_ban_discrimination_against_unemployed_in_hiring

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee

36 months ago

From Yahoo Front Page

You can read all the stats you want on America's long-term jobless crisis. More than 6.3 million Americans have been out of work for more than half a year. The average jobless stint now lasts longer than nine months. We could go on.

But no facts or figures bring home the grim human dimension of this epidemic better than an account we received from an unemployed Iraq War veteran. "I have led men in combat, but my last job was a temporary cashier position in the women's department at Nordstrom's," he wrote. "I don't get many interviews, but when I do, I get a lot of handshakes and a 'Thank you for your service, but you're not what we're looking for.'"

Nor can they top this description from a reader of what it's like to go for months searching fruitlessly for work: "You start to hear a voice in your head that tells you, 'Perhaps you're just not good enough.'"

When we asked readers recently to share their personal stories of being out of work for an extended period, we expected to get a lot of responses. But we didn't foresee the flood that ensued. "I imagine that you will have to hire more staff to wade through all the emails you get in response to this article," one reader wrote. It turned out she was right: That's exactly what we did.

The thousands of anecdotes you sent us offer a heart-rending glimpse inside the reality of long-term joblessness during the Great Recession and its aftermath. They convey sadness, anxiety, anger, shame, and despair, but sometimes also humor, generosity, and a quintessentially American determination to roll with the punches. And they offer a portrait of out-of-work people who are smart, articulate, motivated, and resilient--a useful corrective to some of the negativity that too often shape perceptions of this huge group of Americans.

We want to thank all the thousands of readers who contributed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Continued from Yahoo Front Page

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

marisole in Memphis, Tennessee said: Continued from Yahoo Front Page

How it all Began: "When the economy imploded in 2009, nobody was building anything"

Many readers described how they first became jobless, with tales that often seemed ripped from the bleak headlines of the last few years--taking in everything from the mortgage meltdown to the housing bust to government budget cuts.

• George C. from Brea, Calif., told us he worked for a bank that had a division that made sub-prime loans. After the housing bust hit, "the federal government ordered the company to cease & desist from all sub-prime operations, because they didn't like banks that were also sub-prime mortgage companies, so that division of the company was shut down," George wrote. Ultimately, the other divisions of the bank were sold, "at which time there was no more work for me to do."

• "I was a steel building detailer with just over 14 years of experience," Tom W. from New Haven, Ind., told us. "When the economy imploded in 2009, nobody was building anything. With no work, my employer was forced to lay off everyone."

• Shannon B., a teacher and school administrator from Phelan, Calif., wrote that she lost her job in February 2009. "When the budget slashes hit, my position was the first to go."

• Jerry, from southern California, told us he had worked in the electrical distribution industry for more than 25 years. "I lost my job in August of 2008 when the housing bubble and second Great Depression were hitting hard. The branch I worked in closed, since the industry relies heavily on new construction."

• "I never saw being let go coming," wrote Elizabeth M., who worked at an educational center. "I simply showed up less and less on the work schedule. Then, after 2 weeks of not appearing at all, I received a voice mail via my cell phone that informed me they were actually letting me go. (Whatever happened to telling someone to their face?)"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Continued from Yahoo Front Page

The Emotional Toll: "I hide my emotions, but deep down I feel I am dying off"

Your tales of losing long-held jobs--often with minimal advance notice or human consideration--were bracing. But more compelling still were the numerous accounts of how long-term joblessness has affected you personally and psychologically.

• Perhaps no testimony was bleaker than a note we received from Peter K., who said he used to be a middle manager making over $100,000 a year. His life now? "Stay up too late at night and sleep too long in the morning. Drink way too much … stare at the computer screen, stare out the window, stare at your image in the mirror, stare at the ceiling fan … Social life--none. I'm no fun. Sex--none. Women would sooner hear you have Hepatitis then learn you're unemployed … Depressed--big time. Think suicide every day."

• Scott V. told us that when his money began to run out and he didn't know how he was going to feed his children, he had the same thought. "To be extremely honest I thought of taking the easy way out, which probably many people have. I read an internet article a couple of weeks ago about some 22 (?) year old ending her life because she had no job and too many bills that she couldn't handle. Of course I didn't do that, because I consider myself a strong person and I have a lot to live for."

• "Most of the time you can barely get out of bed because you worry so much about your future," wrote Todd L. of Houston, Tex. "I feel so behind, especially when talking to my peers. Several of them have already moved on from their first job to their second one. Many are in long-term relationships, something I know I can never have without a job and financial stability. I feel so ... behind. I have grown much more envious of others lately."

• Stefan K., from South Bend, Ind., told us he'd been out of work for going on two years. "After a few months pass by, you start to take it personally," he wrote. "You start

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

to hear a voice in your head that tells you, 'Perhaps you're just not good enough.' You know it's not true, but it feels true. You then began to feel ashamed when people, who know of your situation, keep asking if you've found a job yet."

• Paul K. described how both he and his fiancée--who is also contending with a long-term bout of joblessness--have seen their relationship suffer as a result of their shared plight. "It's very depressing and has caused many arguments and led to a very unhappy life for us for the last 2-3 years," he wrote. "We now sleep late because we have no money to do anything. Gas costs too much so most days we stay home and just watch TV. It's making me anxious, depressed, and my confidence is all but gone. I pray for a miracle at this point."

• The pain of long-term unemployment doesn't only affect layoff casualties--it's also assailed many first-time entrants into the job market. Jill B. of Jonesboro, Ark. got a master's degree last year, but it didn't help her. "The hardest part of this experience has been having to come home, tail tucked, as a failure," she wrote. "Out of necessity, I am now living with my parents again in a rural, Arkansas town. For financial reasons, I had to leave the thriving job market of Austin, Texas to come back to a place where there are no jobs at all."

• "I hide my emotions, but deep down I feel I am dying off," wrote Jeremy L., from Waupaca, Wisc. "I smile less. Friends don't call me anymore to do things because I can't afford to. I feel like a hermit living under a rock. I feel worthless. I feel like I'm pulling my girlfriend and daughter into a hole with me. Our once loving relationship has turned bitter and sour."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I know this is long (and I didnt post the entire article), but this is happening all over. Not just to a few ppl.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BrokerMike73 in Florida

36 months ago

It is brutal out here. I'm FINRA Series 7, 24, & 66, undergraduate degree with over 10 yrs securities industry exp. with 5 yrs in management. I've been searching since 2010, I've had over 30 in-person and phone interviews with no offers. In the Jacksonville area there are several rather large firms and a ton of smaller locally managed shops. I've interviewed with one of the larger firms here so many times that I know almost all of their departments, locates and their directors! Now that's sad! In fact the recruiter I was working with couldn't beleive that I hadn't been offered a job after so many interviews; she called me in, asked me to interview with her the exact same way that I'd interviewed with her hiring managers and after she and I finished she couldn't find any reason why I hadn't been offered a position! One hiring manager actually told me that "If I hire you I might end up working for you." I've been told that I was too relaxed in my interview, that I wasn't a good motivational fit, and that I'm too qualified (over qualified maybe but what does too qualified mean)etc. just silly reasons as to why I wasn't offered. I'm still very motivated with regards to finding a job but I am extremely tired of hiring managers who are fearful of expereinced professionals, company recruiters who say one thing and hiring mangers who say something else. It is my hope that this currect job market improves because there are some truly talented and extremely motivated inviduals looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

36 months ago

BrokerMike73 in Florida said: It is brutal out here. I'm FINRA Series 7, 24, & 66, undergraduate degree with over 10 yrs securities industry exp. with 5 yrs in management. I've been searching since 2010, I've had over 30 in-person and phone interviews with no offers. In the Jacksonville area there are several rather large firms and a ton of smaller locally managed shops. I've interviewed with one of the larger firms here so many times that I know almost all of their departments, locates and their directors! Now that's sad! In fact the recruiter I was working with couldn't beleive that I hadn't been offered a job after so many interviews; she called me in, asked me to interview with her the exact same way that I'd interviewed with her hiring managers and after she and I finished she couldn't find any reason why I hadn't been offered a position! One hiring manager actually told me that "If I hire you I might end up working for you." I've been told that I was too relaxed in my interview, that I wasn't a good motivational fit, and that I'm too qualified (over qualified maybe but what does too qualified mean)etc. just silly reasons as to why I wasn't offered. I'm still very motivated with regards to finding a job but I am extremely tired of hiring managers who are fearful of expereinced professionals, company recruiters who say one thing and hiring mangers who say something else. /QUOTE]

I agree, I am in the Boston area where the job market is supposedly booming and have been un or underemployed for the past year. I am also in financial services and worked in back office accounting for many major banks. I have had many interviews for full time, contract, contract to hire. The interviews seem to go well -- I mean spending a few hours at a company being passed from one person to the next. Then I never hear back or they fill the role

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I agree, I am in the Boston area where the job market is supposedly booming and have been un or underemployed for the past year. I am also in financial services and worked in back office accounting for many major banks. I have had many interviews for full time, contract, contract to hire. The interviews seem to go well -- I mean spending a few hours at a company being passed from one person to the next. Then I never hear back or they fill the role

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Riverside, California

36 months ago

MLS250 in Birmingham, Alabama said: Here's the link to an excellent article about the decrimination the long term

employed have to deal with from potential employers and what is being done to prevent hiring discrimination.
unemployedworkers.org/sites/unemployedworkers/index.php/site/blog_entry/bill_would_ban_discrimination_against_unemployed_in_hiring

We all know bills can be passed. We also all know that employers really don't care and will discriminate anyway. They don't have to tell you why you were not chosen. I had directly had an ongoing conversation with one Fortune 500 company I know discriminated against me, but they refused to tell me just what happened or why. It was either my age or appearance, as they'd already seen my resume and invited me to their career fair yet refused me an interview. In the end, I said see you in court although I never followed up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Last month (July), I went to interview for a part-time position with a company that does legal services. Even though the position was part-time, they require a three-week training period at 28 hours a week for $11.75 am hour. This would have been above the $1000-a-month limit in order to keep my Social Security Disability. Therefore, I withdrew from consideration.

Ten days ago, I had a telephone interview for a part-time position with a marketing firm. I followed up again today (Monday, August 15), and the girl that I interviewed with told me that it's a two-block walk from the bus stop. The thing is this: it is located in an area where there are no bus shelters, no place that I can run for cover in case of bad weather, no sidewalks, nor any place where I can sit down and wait for the bus; especially with my arthritic knees, and I have difficulty walking. Once again, I withdrew from consideration.

We also had heavy rains here in Philadelphia both yesterday and today, and I've had a fear of thunderstorms ever since I was a kid. If you think these thunderstorms are bad; wait until the winter gets here. Last winter, as an example, the bus stops were snow-covered, and I was not about to stand out in the middle of the street waiting for the bus. I also cancelled an interview back in January, right before I got laid off, because of all the snow and ice here. Therefore, I will not work out in that particular area.

I realize that I need to get back to work, but my safety and well being come first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

mallory

35 months ago

Lauren in Beltsville, Maryland said: In the last 9 months of job searching I have had 12 different interviews, but zero job offers. Most of the interviews seem to go really well and the conversation is great. I'm in the D.C job market, has anyone else experienced this? Also any HR people out there that could give me any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I have also had 10 interviews in the past 4 months and no offers. I am in the Baltimore looking for marketing positions. I am working on my interviewing skills and my presentation so that I come across confident. Other than that just make sure you follow up with thank you emails, cards, and if you want you can politely ask the company why you were not extended an offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

mallory said: I have also had 10 interviews in the past 4 months and no offers. I am in the Baltimore looking for marketing positions. I am working on my interviewing skills and my presentation so that I come across confident. Other than that just make sure you follow up with thank you emails, cards, and if you want you can politely ask the company why you were not extended an offer.

The reasons you will get are usually contrived.. I got rejected for a 3 month temp job with a major bank. The reason is because they hired someone 'just out of school' according to the recruiter. I basically asked him if he could find out the 'real reason' and no company would spend time interviewing someone if they didn't mean objective criteria like years of experience. Also I believe most hiring decisions are already made by the time the interview is completed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Grand Rapids, Michigan

35 months ago

Vishal in Schaumburg, Illinois said: I am unemployed since Feb and had 8 really good in person interviews with small and fortune 500 companies. No job offers. I lost count on how many phone interviews I did.

I don't get nervous during interviews. The feedback I get is they are going with someone with little more experience. I am thinking I have the required experience listed do they have more?

-Your situation sounds very similar to mine except that I've been on over 30 interviews. Same thing every time - we're going with another candidate. Not sure if it's lack of experience, a license in the field, or what. I'm not nervous during interviews. In fact, anymore I see them as being nothing more than an opportunity to meet people - anything other than that would probably destroy my self esteem (hoping that they'll lead to something when they don't/haven't).

I've resolved myself into believing that taking a smaller salary (despite the fact that I have advanced education) is acceptable. Doesn't seem to matter. Not sure what's going on, but I keep wondering why it is that I spent a lot of money, time, and effort on getting a job, but have yet to lock one in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

RAS in Grove City, Ohio said: To all of the above.Nice to know were all in the same sinking boat.Im not sure when the hiring process changed to the internet,phone interviews,if lucky a personal interview just to be ignored.In my opinion if an employee of that company treated a customer like they treat potential candidates,they would be terminated.
Of all the jobs listed on Indeed,Monster,etc are real,we would all be working.Somehow these practices have to be dealt with.For what it's worth I did write to AARP(useless) regarding these practices,al they want is my subsciption money.Being a babyboomer(57) a widower and out of work for three years,I guess my only alternative is "nothing".We can all go back to school,spend money we dont have,and be ignored for another interview.What's the point?

Maybe some day the economy will turn around and then we can have the opportunity to tell these companys to shove it.For them to be picky is common.For tem to be unprofessional and misleading is just criminal.

-You are absolutely right! Maybe there will come a day when we can tell them to shove it. I've had it with being treated like a 2nd class citizen when I worked my @#$ off to get to where I am. My education & background in previous jobs speaks volumes about how dedicated I am to doing what I want to do with my career. If they can't see that....& they would rather hire someone else it's definitely their loss not mine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

sighing in Southern, New Jersey

35 months ago

I just wish these employers would take a moment and think how they would feel if they (or their friends/family members) were in our shoes. There is no reason to treat people like this. Stop asking bizarre questions, being rude, and conducting fake interviews. Don't lead people on, make them feel as if they are getting the job! Send a rejection email, so we don't sit by the phone waiting. We are human beings. If someone took the time to interview, and took that interview seriously, they need to be treated with respect.

I keep reading how people go to interviews dressed badly, unprepared, completely unqualified, etc. BUT I know so many of us do everything right, and yet, we still cannot get hired.

I was turned down for a job recently because they thought I lived too far. Well, why didn't you realize that before you asked me in? They then proceeded to ask me ridiculous questions. I had another one, where the guy talked about himself the entire time. He had no interest in getting to know me. I was his first interview, and he had 100 resumes, and I think he had no intention of hiring me. Yet, he gave me a tour of the facility.

I was also in a fake interview, because the person got the job through a family connection. I brought a nice portfolio in and they kept it. Nice. That cost me money. And no rejection emails/letters for any of these jobs. No response to email inquiries either. That is just rude.

I know people are busy, but they can at least TRY to be nice. Honestly, I desperately need a job, but of the 3 interviews I have managed to get, I don't think I would have wanted to work for any of those people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I hear what you're saying. I've spent a ton of money on postage, envelopes, gas, and everything else that's necessary to carry out the job search. The reality: NONE of it matters to potential employers. They want "The One" & if you're not exactly that then they move on to the next person. It's a joke.

I also understand losing your "Go get em" attitude. I've been to more than 30 interviews in a year. Some say that's good, but in my mind, I believe that I should have gone to just one - the FIRST one. After that I should have been on my way to a job NOT to another worthless interview that gets me no where.

I've been in the same boat as you as far as not wanting to work for some of the people who interviewed. In fact, it's hard for me to imagine how a handful actually HAVE jobs - surely that must be someone who is more competent - someone who fits the bill better - someone who's "The One". I look around & see so many people who have jobs....and clearly DO NOT deserve it.

I'm moved past bitter into beyond fed up with all of it. I'm to the point where I want to just stop searching altogether on some days. On others, I feel as though it will happen....eventually. Unfortunately, I don't have FOREVER to wait. My bills are due now not in 2-3 yrs. or whenever it will be that someone decides to give me a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Bridgetown, Barbados

34 months ago

I just want to be given a chance... I just want to feel like employers see potential in me. I've been out of work five months and four useless interviews later nothing.It feels like I'm never going to work again. All my friends have great jobs they're traveling and getting benefits alot of them are even younger than I am. I feel so bitter and alone. I worked so hard for my degree and now I feel it is just a piece of useless paper that means nothing in the real world.

I am jealous of anyone who earns any type of living now. I feel like it will never happen again for me.I even miss the morning commute.Right now I'm just holding my breath waiting for my life to begin again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

sighing in Southern, New Jersey

34 months ago

Anon in Bridgetown, Barbados said: I just want to be given a chance... I just want to feel like employers see potential in me. I've been out of work five months and four useless interviews later nothing.It feels like I'm never going to work again. All my friends have great jobs they're traveling and getting benefits alot of them are even younger than I am. I feel so bitter and alone. I worked so hard for my degree and now I feel it is just a piece of useless paper that means nothing in the real world.

I am jealous of anyone who earns any type of living now. I feel like it will never happen again for me.I even miss the morning commute.Right now I'm just holding my breath waiting for my life to begin again.

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!!!! I am holding my breath, too. I cannot enjoy anything right now, bc I am so stressed. These online applications are driving me crazy. I am relying on my cover letter to possibly make someone bring me in for an interview. I have had 3 since I graduated in May, and they were not good. One was already filled, one wanted a lot more experience, and one person said I lived too far. I am keeping faith bc I love my field, but it is so hard some days. Several of my classmates were handed jobs, and it is very tough to see that, especially when they did the bare minimum for school, and generally do not even seem to care about their work. Most of my classmates cannot find work at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

Anon in Bridgetown, Barbados said: I just want to be given a chance... I just want to feel like employers see potential in me. I've been out of work five months and four useless interviews later nothing.It feels like I'm never going to work again. All my friends have great jobs they're traveling and getting benefits alot of them are even younger than I am. I feel so bitter and alone. I worked so hard for my degree and now I feel it is just a piece of useless paper that means nothing in the real world.

I agree. I feel like I am the ONLY person in a professional field with a degree out of work. I also run into issues with bad credit affecting job offers. I am 'Upfront' before the background check is run but it isn't good enough, recruiters & HR tell me that if the background check comes back with a fail for whatever reason they cannot continue with the offer.

34 months ago

It gives me a little comfort to know that I am not alone. I just received a letter from a company that I did an aptitude test with, apparently I wasn't good enough to call in for an interview.I don't understand why a company would choose conduct a large round of aptitude testing instead of face-to face interviews first.Having speed and accuracy doesn't automatically make you a team player.I am tired of jumping through hoops for these sadistic HR reps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

After going to all my interviews, I'm having a hard time maintaining the positive, "go-get-'em" attitude. I'm sure it shows in the interviews as well. Everyone is supposed to be "passionate" about every single "opportunity" that comes up, even if you know there's a good chance you'll never hear from them again after you leave the building, and they had no problem being rude and aggressive to you despite being as polite as you can possibly be. Maybe this is hitting you? I know my anger and apathy is starting to get in the way.

You are 100% correct. I too have lost that "go-get-em" attitude that I started with over a year ago. After putting up with the garbage that I've had to deal with at each of these interviews (one HR Rep was actually picking her nails, checking her cell phone, and texting) I'm sick of it. I've reached the point where I'm glad that I get interviews, but when they're over I ask myself why I even bothered putting time, money, and energy into another fruitless encounter. I wish I had back every, single, dime I've spent - at least then I could have paid off some of the bills that keep piling up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

I know exactly how you feel about the degree being a useless piece of paper. I worked my a#$ off for over ten years. Everyone else - not so....yet, they have jobs & I do not. I've even volunteered....and they have not....but, they're the ones with the jobs-jobs that they complain about...to me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

TryingHardToFindWork in Arlington, Virginia

33 months ago

Anonymous in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: After putting up with the garbage that I've had to deal with at each of these interviews (one HR Rep was actually picking her nails, checking her cell phone, and texting) I'm sick of it. I've reached the point where I'm glad that I get interviews, but when they're over I ask myself why I even bothered putting time, money, and energy into another fruitless encounter. I wish I had back every, single, dime I've spent - at least then I could have paid off some of the bills that keep piling up.

Picking her nails?! Gross. Why do they even bother conducting these interviews if they're going to treat it like a waste of time? Putting in all that effort just to be treated like a nonentity. It's not fair.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

needs_new_opportunities in Buffalo, New York

33 months ago

I have been on 24 interviews (with 20 different companies) in the past 14 months without a single job offer. I understand completely. I am very frustrated and dissapointed. The field I am in (company training) is very competitive, but I have no experience in any other fields, so I have to continue to apply for these positions. It's at the point now where I can't even get excited, or even feel confident anymore because the minute I feel like I did well, the rug gets ripped out from under me.

I just keep saying to myself...the right job is coming, but I am not sure how much longer I can take this.

Best of luck to everyone. It is so tough. Try to stay positive. That's all we can do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Yes, I definitely feel more jaded and cynical lately. I know everyone keeps saying to keep a positive attitude but find it impossible to do so given the circumstances.Every interview feels like a joke to me since most people I know got jobs through connections and didn't even need one.

Right now everything feels pointless. I got up early in the morning, purchased two outfits and got my hair done for the last interview I had and apparently that meant nothing since they never called back. I feel now that I should put in the least effort possible so it won't mean as much when it doesn't work out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

andrea48170 in Dearborn, Michigan

33 months ago

Anonymous in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I have been to 30+ interviews in about a year. Sometimes I get feedback on why (not even experience, trainings) I didn't get the job. Sometimes not. Most of the time it's been a complete waste of my time, energy, and money since I've literally driven across the country for interviews that lead to nowhere. The interviewers have, more than once, given me false hope that the "job is mine". The problem lies in the fact that there are SO MANY people out there looking for a job. The people hiring can afford to be picky...so they are. If the candidate is 100% perfect they just move on to whoever's next on the list. They don't need to put any time into calling them back to let them know because they're focused on the person they've hired. It's a nightmare these days. I've actually had possible employers offer jobs that require less than a high school diploma to me when I have a Master's degree.......and they think that I'll take it because I'm so desperate. To me that is a huge slap in the face & highly offensive. Hey HR Rep., how would you like me to offer you a job in waste management when you're trained in hiring? Get real. I'm beyond tired of this mess. I've wasted a year of my life hunting for jobs, interviewing, and being scrutinized by people I'll never see again. What is the point to all of it? I mean really.

I know how you feel. I have been on so many interviews...maybe 10, I lost count, they go great....Im not imagining that it goes great...it really does because I even get second interviews! I am most definitely qualified for the job too..I can NOT get a job...this is very scary. Something happens from the time of my great interview and when I get the rejection call or email..they usually say they have picked someone that better fits what they are looking for...I think that is a lie...I have had so much experience in the jobs Im applying for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Continued...

I even thought that there may be a mistake on my background check! I have a very 100% clean criminal record...so I checked, and its not that. Although if they are checking my credit report and they require good credit, that might be it. I claimed chapter 7 because I cant pay my bills because I have not worked in 2 YEARS! BECAUSE I CANT GET A JOB! Also..you might want to check what your last job is saying about you when called for a reference...they aren't supposed to say anything bad, but who knows.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Here is my latest rejection email after a great phone interview and 2 in person interviews.

"Good Afternoon ,

Thank you so much for meeting with us and discussing your background and the Business Analyst position.

Although the decision was very difficult, we have decided that we will continue pursuing other applicants for this position. You did a great job presenting your skills and we are sure you will be successful finding the right opportunity for yourself. Should we determine that our requirements change or that another opportunity opens up that matches your skills, we will follow up with you at that time.

Again, we would like to thank you for your interest and wish you much success in obtaining your career aspirations"

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

That's a form letter, Dearborn. You're lucky to even get one of those nowadays. I've had first and second interviews where I never received even one of those. Keep trying. Good luck.

s.m. in White Plains, New York

33 months ago

Check out www.resumehack.com This might help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lj in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

Lauren in Beltsville, Maryland said: In the last 9 months of job searching I have had 12 different interviews, but zero job offers. Most of the interviews seem to go really well and the conversation is great. I'm in the D.C job market, has anyone else experienced this? Also any HR people out there that could give me any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Getting 12 interviews in the first place is pretty great. You may just be going up against a bit of hard luck in an economy full of equally impressive competition.

However if you want to critique your interviewing skills sign up with some employment agencies then after interviewing with ask them to critique how you did and let you know what improvements can be made. I've always utilized agencies in this way in regards to my interviewing skills, resume and overall presentation. It helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Lansing, Illinois

33 months ago

All you can really do is consider each call back and interview as a positive and build on it from there until you get an offer. It can be very challenging to think in these terms, but with the way things are out there it's how you have to regard things.

Astral in Waukesha, Wisconsin

32 months ago

Yeah, I seriously had 7 or 8 interviews in the past month. I'm great at getting interviews. I have a background in writing, so telling recruiters what they want to hear on paper is easy for me.

The interview trips me up though. I'm bad at giving outright lies verbally. It's all a game of corporate jargon and sucking up well enough to make them like you. They're looking for those keywords like "team player," "multi-tasker," and "service oriented." Even for housekeeping jobs. I'm none of those and I'm a terrible at lying. I'm often told I don't smile enough either.

I'm just sick of dancing around the outskirts of a corporate world that wants homogeneous robots for employees. Some of us get our work done quietly and tell it like it is. We need jobs, too. Get over yourselves.

On the other hand, I just read from Careerbuilder that the average worker has to go on 17 interviews to get a job. I don't know how accurate that is, but it gives a little hope I guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Motor City in Farmington Hills, Michigan

32 months ago

I have been on several interviews, and it seemed to go well, and then they tell me that they have just started the interview process, and will be interviewing the rest of the week, and early or mid part of next week they should be making a decision, and most times that is the end of the communications, never a rejection letter, just like the fell of the face of the earth, while the very last one sent a rejection letter that they were impressed with my skills and background, but selected an candidate who more closely matched with they were looking for. Wow, I didn't have any experience in that field, someone suggested I apply, as they said that they got in with no experience, but they started a few years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Willy in Pomona, California

32 months ago

I agree with the above. I have had interviews for jobs I could do with my eyes closed with companies that do business with companies that I have dealt with in the past. What went wrong? Could it be my age, my handicap, my looks? Equal opportunity, hmmmm yea right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ivette

32 months ago

Now or days you NEED to have a person inside an organization pulling for you and trying to help you get your foot in the door.

At the company I work for we can get a $500 'finders fee' if the person we refer gets hired (we have an internal employee referral website). Sometimes a manager does not want to shift through hundreds of online resumes when looking to hire a person for a certain job.

When a current employee can say: Psst, I know a great person that can fill that job. Networking on helps so much, you need a person on the inside greasing the wheels.

TeacherLooking in Dunedin, Florida

32 months ago

I've been laid off twice in the last two years. Both times I was bumped for a more senior teacher under continuing contract who wanted my position. Now, four months and 20 interviews later, I still have not position. Underqualified, overqualified-- jeez, what is going on? My husband is also looking for work and he had five companies call him back from a resume submitted. He called each one back within ten minutes and left a message. After weeks of trying to get in touch with these companies, he just gave up. Do these people want to hire anyone or not? Why would they even bother to call at all? This morning, one of the jobs that called him actually reposted the position. Huh? My brain hurts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

TeacherLooking in Dunedin, Florida said: I've been laid off twice in the last two years. Both times I was bumped for a more senior teacher under continuing contract who wanted my position. Now, four months and 20 interviews later, I still have not position. Underqualified, overqualified-- jeez, what is going on? My husband is also looking for work and he had five companies call him back from a resume submitted. He called each one back within ten minutes and left a message. After weeks of trying to get in touch with these companies, he just gave up. Do these people want to hire anyone or not? Why would they even bother to call at all? This morning, one of the jobs that called him actually reposted the position. Huh? My brain hurts.

I just traveled for an in person interview over 500 miles each way (at my own expense but at their invitation after two phone interviews). At the end of the in person interview as well as during I got the feeling that they weren't hiring at the moment but I would be "kept in mind". The hiring manager thanked me for coming but said he had 'no openings at the moment' but that could change

Lauren in Washington, District of Columbia

32 months ago

As the person who originally started this thread, I just wanted to share some news, after 14 months of looking for a job I just got hired this week! So don't give up people! Although I had to change states and move almost 1,000 miles away for this job and I am making 10% less than my last position, its worth it. Keep your head up and try to smile every day, what kept me going was that famous saying "life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it, your attitude." I wish everyone luck in their job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wuyi Li in Morgantown, West Virginia

32 months ago

Lauren in Washington, District of Columbia said: As the person who originally started this thread, I just wanted to share some news, after 14 months of looking for a job I just got hired this week! So don't give up people! Although I had to change states and move almost 1,000 miles away for this job and I am making 10% less than my last position, its worth it. Keep your head up and try to smile every day, what kept me going was that famous saying "life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it, your attitude." I wish everyone luck in their job search.

Congrats! Lauren.

MJ in Aiken, South Carolina

31 months ago

I am reading the post about the interviews. I have had spells when I did not get an interview and a spell when I got several. I left my job in 99 where I worked for a relative who seems at time as my worst enemy in a field where I am licensed professional. I did obtain a sales position where I do not posses a lot of quality on the job training and school training; Yet, I assume that a lot of us are door to door salesmen/cold job lead job searchers and that is the type sales job that i obtained.

I can be very negative. I say so to get to selling what we can do in a positive to people that want us to do it for them. When you do not, I can rant and rave about not finding a good common ground with people ever. I have been where is Moses and how to deal with the ACCUSERS when they pit blood and blood fights blood with how they got fought to them. You see how far off we can be from selling a book year end and year out about personal finance and what he or she knows about the subject. I do look at more deeply and others are selling their skills to loan getters and they train folk to do what i do and other stuff when i try to find that market and they do so for less.

It is not true however when things that we do and can do get cut off we are focused on how bad thing really were and we say that we found not ok relationships. You have to focus on what you can present and identify how and who will kill that to keep you from finding a place to work with people that we live around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GoGetter in Peoria, Illinois

31 months ago

Just Me in Woburn, Massachusetts said: In addition, companies are being overly fussy with requirements. I've been on interviews where I have all the skill sets they are looking as an engineering, or I've been told flat out they are being a bit fussy. So the out come I'm seeing around is companies are being so overly fussy they hire no one for months and give themselve a bad rap out in there

Unless you happen to be interviewing for a job and have some hot, in-demand technical skills to offer companies will be flakier than a teenage girl when it comes to jobs. If you have generalist skills the job market is not your friend unless you've got some influential drinking buddies to get you in at a desirable company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Havertown, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

We all hope the economy will turn around. Its as if your job has become looking for a job and interviewing.

However, its not your fault your not getting a job. These companies are b.s. sometimes, they just want to see how many people will reply by interview them however, they are not hiring. It seems we are like puppets on a string. Any business hiring can continue to be unprofessional, rude, and have ridiculous demands to reach. So, you mold yourself trying to fit. Even though you do fit, you do have the experience and so on.

Its so frustrating. You can tell with in the first few minutes. When your on the phone interviewing ask alot of questions regarding the job.

I agree with ROV. I am younger however, old enough to know. The hiring process is RIDICULOUS. Also the internet is really messing up JOBS. Its all about the words on the paper. People can say whatever they want on they're resume. I have alot of experience, great reputation in my industry.

I have starting turning the tables. I won't waste time with any unprofessional behavior. I found the right way to make this work in my resume. Remember to interview them as well. I literally walked out of an interview. As much as we are in desperate need of a job. There is no reason for any person at all to put up with that treatment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Career-changer in Rushville, Illinois

31 months ago

dnt_lk_bk@hotmail.com in Huntsville, Alabama said: On your suggestion I decided to start a new post in the 'Companies-Forum' to "peddle the Kiyoaski koolaid". <font color="purple">Relational Marketing is "The Business of the 21st Century and Monavie's Record Breaking Success."</font> This one, as you know, was started by someone looking for a job that moved a 1000 miles and took a paycut too! I pray that Lauren's choice was a good one!

Oh now they call it Relational Marketing? First it was Multi-Level Marketing, Progressive Networking, and a host of other terms. At the very least it's direct sales, and at worst it's simply a money-sucking scam. If people want information about jobs they want real information, not a solicitation for the trendy MLM of the moment.

romanimal in East Hampton, Connecticut

31 months ago

It seems that companies just aren't hiring. I have an MS, MBA and made around $150,000 per year until the region of the division of AON I worked for was consolidated in 2009. Since then I have received over 20 interviews, which went universally well. Either you never hear back from them, or if you really pester them they tell you they hired someone else and you came in second. This most recently happened at Liberty Mutual, where they told me I came in second and hired someone else.
However, after a few weeks I noticed that the exact position had been reposted on their web site, so that means they didn't really hire anybody.
I've now given up on looking for a job and am starting my own business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

romanimal in East Hampton, Connecticut said: It seems that companies just aren't hiring. I have an MS, MBA and made around $150,000 per year until the region of the division of AON I worked for was consolidated in 2009. Since then I have received over 20 interviews, which went universally well. Either you never hear back from them, or if you really pester them they tell you they hired someone else and you came in second. This most recently happened at Liberty Mutual, where they told me I came in second and hired someone else.
However, after a few weeks I noticed that the exact position had been reposted on their web site, so that means they didn't really hire anybody.
I've now given up on looking for a job and am starting my own business.

I am actually doing the same thing but buying an existing business (FedEx Ground Routes) -- I have only been able to get temp work for the past 2 years and also have a BA & MS degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leah in Meridian, Idaho

30 months ago

Lauren in Washington, District of Columbia said: As the person who originally started this thread, I just wanted to share some news, after 14 months of looking for a job I just got hired this week! So don't give up people! Although I had to change states and move almost 1,000 miles away for this job and I am making 10% less than my last position, its worth it. Keep your head up and try to smile every day, what kept me going was that famous saying "life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it, your attitude." I wish everyone luck in their job search.

Congrats!

Older yet Wiser in Saint Bethlehem, Tennessee

29 months ago

You might want to have your references checked, Dearborn. I had a similar experience as yours and found out one of my old bosses was trashing me. You're not wrong that employers are not supposed to give you a bad reference, but I wasn't supposed to break the speed limit on the way home tonight either. Check out checkyourreference.com - They helped me get back on track.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.