12 job interviews but no job offers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 243)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

MJ in Dunedin, Florida

28 months ago

Although ProGeekMan's ideas are good, they are certainly not a guarantee of an offer. I've done all those things plus had a very well designed portfolio and I have no job offers after 25 interviews and more than a year. I wouldn't look too far into making your interview fit some type of box description, because you just never know what exactly is in the minds of the interviewers or company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ProGeekMan in Portland, Oregon

28 months ago

I would add to that nothing guarantees an offer, these days it really is a crap shoot, like playing the lottery.

One important thing that was shared with me recently from a recruiter is, any impression you leave behind will be factored against you by a factor of 100.

So for instance if you leave the impression you are laid back, they are going to assume that you are VERY laid back on the day to day job.

With that said my strategy is to build a interview persona that is as neutral as possible which can be easily applied to many different interviews.

Next time I go into that interview room I'm going to not be myself, instead I'm going to be my alter business EGO persona who has been customized just enough to get me through a particular interview.

In the end it's a crap shoot so, while your shooting you might as well have a nice shiny pair of dice! :)

Bill in Kitchener, Ontario

28 months ago

I've had 8 interviews in 3.5 months and a couple I just wasn't a good fit for, but a few I knew I was. Had all the experience and then some and still don't get the job. I did a linkedin search afterwards to see who I was getting beat out by and to say I was shocked would be an understatement! I could only find two that had been recently filled and both of them didn't have 1/8 the experience I do. Neither even had previous experience in the industry!! One looked like a recent grad moving onto their 2nd job after school and the other hadn't held a job for longer than a year and most of that was "self employed" BS jobs while traveling.

Did these 2 say they would work for next to nothing, or am I missing something? Both these jobs were $60,000 - $75,000 per year and advertised as such....

P.S...I am in the same age bracket as them

Signed,

Confused

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

28 months ago

Bill in Kitchener, Ontario said: I've had 8 interviews in 3.5 months and a couple I just wasn't a good fit for, but a few I knew I was. Had all the experience and then some and still don't get the job. I did a linkedin search afterwards to see who I was getting beat out by and to say I was shocked would be an understatement! I could only find two that had been recently filled and both of them didn't have 1/8 the experience I do. Neither even had previous experience in the industry!! One looked like a recent grad moving onto their 2nd job after school and the other hadn't held a job for longer than a year and most of that was "self employed" BS jobs while traveling.

Did these 2 say they would work for next to nothing, or am I missing something? Both these jobs were $60,000 - $75,000 per year and advertised as such....

Signed,

Confused

I did a Linkedln search once.

Dang! Was my response when I found out who got the position over me.

She did have an impressive body of work. But she was some dried up old fart of a woman.

Sorry, I have a lot of anger in me tonight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

28 months ago

I think we are all feeling the frustration. So where do we find some of the answers about what to do about it? Or are the employers going to keep treating the unemployed this way for another bunch of years until the economy improves? What will be the emotional toll on those who remain out of work for 4-6 years or are only able to land the lower paying positions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said:

Sorry, I have a lot of anger in me tonight.

Sorry to hear that Joe. Looks like you are able to deal with it better than I can at this point, hope you keep it up!

28 months ago

I like you John. Your a good man.

It's so frustrating.

28 months ago

Sure is frustrating. Seriously, I truly hope this economy breaks some time before I find myself drooling on myself and in a boredom based coma......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

I actually was doing some drooling today over this blond lifeguard.

No one gives a sh$# about the unemployed.

Is the house ready John?

Make sure you got clean underwear?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

House is not ready yet. Likely actually start cleaning when Daddy calls to let me know they are an hour away. (I actually started cleaning the bathroom and sort of the kitchen)

Clean undies check

dakadav in Oakland, California

28 months ago

Bill in Kitchener, Ontario said: I've had 8 interviews in 3.5 months and a couple I just wasn't a good fit for, but a few I knew I was. Had all the experience and then some and still don't get the job. I did a linkedin search afterwards to see who I was getting beat out by and to say I was shocked would be an understatement! I could only find two that had been recently filled and both of them didn't have 1/8 the experience I do. Neither even had previous experience in the industry!! One looked like a recent grad moving onto their 2nd job after school and the other hadn't held a job for longer than a year and most of that was "self employed" BS jobs while traveling.

Signed,

Confused

maybe...as a past hiring manager

1) Reference check was bad
2) You interview poorly
-Stumble with answers
-Do not present enough metrics
-Do not back up statements with examples of experience
-Deflect questions they want direct answers too
-Are not dressed appropriately
3) The other candidates were vet'd by insiders

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri

28 months ago

dakadav in Oakland, California said: maybe...as a past hiring manager

"Metrics", the single biggest BS corporate buzzword of all time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

28 months ago

What exactly does #3 mean?? Vet'd isn't even a word. As a hiring manager (supposedly), I would think you would have better writing skills than a third grader.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

designer bee in Waukesha, Wisconsin

28 months ago

Dog_Guy in Kansas City, Missouri said: "Metrics", the single biggest BS corporate buzzword of all time.

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. I can give them measurements in centimeters and liters, but other than that, I'll stick with ounces, cups and inches. hahaha

28 months ago

I meant "can't give them." We need an edit button here.

Nancy in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

A key word in your “assessment”…PAST hiring manager. I doubt you had that position very long. It would be interesting to know what you were doing now and where your career path has taken you.

First off, the OP said he had the experience both in the industry and for the position. He obviously wasn’t a recent grad who hadn’t gotten his feet wet. Second, he plainly had the “education” to write a decent sentence and did not come off as one who didn’t “preset examples of his experience”, however one may do that on an interview unless asked or otherwise given the opportunity. I also highly doubt that, again, given what he wrote that he was the type to walk into the interview wearing his “dress” t-shirt and jeans! As for yourself, if you were a “hiring manager” even in the loosest form, you would have been familiar with how many questions asked during an interview do not have “direct answers” nor “correct” answers.

In references to being ”vet’d by insiders”, and let’s just forget the unprofessional teenage cell phone slang here, if you meant that it’s who you know and not what you know, I think that was his exact point!

Unfortunately, your answers only showed your lack of professionalism and basic job experience, let alone the fact that you are the last one who should be giving anyone criticism or advice on how to perform during an interview!

P.S. Why are you here? If you are so sure of how to conduct yourself during an interview, why are you slumming it with us, the unemployed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lynda PNW in Beaverton, Oregon

28 months ago

Recruiters often do not ask good questions that help define your behavior and qualify and quantify your capabilites. Or, they end up doing most of the talking so you don't get a chance to discuss your skills and abilities. I've been trying to figure out how to "guide" the interview to ensure that my strengths get acknowledged, but apparently I haven't been successful. I had a recent in-person interview with several company representatives who were only going to ask me 4 questions in 20 minutes, so I wanted to make every answer count. I drove for one hour to get to the interview, and 5 of the 20 minutes were spent discussing their Question Number 4, "Why are manhole covers round?" To all those unemployed, you have my sympathy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Lynda PNW in Beaverton, Oregon said: I've been trying to figure out how to "guide" the interview to ensure that my strengths get acknowledged, but apparently I haven't been successful.

I drove for one hour to get to the interview.

Very tough to "guide" or take the lead at an interview....I've tried and crashed and burned.

You can/will come across as to strong of a personality, maybe even thought of as not able to fit in with your coworkers.

I'm at a pt where when it's more than 1 hour of a drive, I make the decision to stay home sitting in front of the computer in my underwear on my favorite site, Indeed.

After awhile driving here, there, and everywhere isn't worth it.

Nick in Linden, New Jersey

28 months ago

I've tried cracking (tasteful) jokes at interviews, and the look I've gotten most of the time reminded me of Tommy Lee Jones. "No ma'am, we at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Nick in Linden, New Jersey said: I've tried cracking (tasteful) jokes at interviews, and the look I've gotten most of the time reminded me of Tommy Lee Jones. "No ma'am, we at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of."

Nick,

I feel like I'm seeing my 5 yr old son off to school for the first time.

It's countdown Nick for your first day of work.

Again, I wish you luck. That's not an easy job...retail management. It's beats sitting home though looking for a job.

28 months ago

Nick in Linden, New Jersey said: I've tried cracking (tasteful) jokes at interviews, and the look I've gotten most of the time reminded me of Tommy Lee Jones. "No ma'am, we at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of."

Sometimes it goes over and other times it doesn't. Depends on the person.

My problem in interviews is that I think I say stupid things and babble too much. It's like I need someone to put tape over my mouth sometimes. I suppose we all question ourselves after an interview to make sure we were perfect. I hate it when my mouth can't shut up and I throw something kind of off-topic in there like we are just chatting as friends. Stop that, mouth! Makes me look like I have ADD. Wait, don't all creative people have ADD? Oh, look, a bunny rabbit!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Linden, New Jersey

28 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Nick,

I feel like I'm seeing my 5 yr old son off to school for the first time.

It's countdown Nick for your first day of work.

Again, I wish you luck. That's not an easy job...retail management. It's beats sitting home though looking for a job.

At least the first 4-6 months is going to be at a location that's an hour away, each way. I just mapped it out. Looks like I won't be saving on gas! But yeah, I'm totally OK with that so long as I'm working.

ADD isn't my problem, but I have mild-to-moderate OCD. =) I don't like doing things half-@ss.

Bill in Guelph, Ontario

27 months ago

Is it common for the potential employer to go ahead and call your past employers without your knowledge of it? I have a "potential" bad reference, but only if they call randomly and get the wrong person (not the person I have for them to call at that company). At my most recent company, nobody has called, because the guy answering the phone is a good buddy. I have all the references ready, but they have to ask, or I at least have to get to that stage in the game. I've made it to the 2nd interview in two companies and didn't get offers from either.

Bill in Guelph, Ontario

27 months ago

1) Reference check was bad
2) You interview poorly
-Stumble with answers
-Do not back up statements with examples of experience
-Deflect questions they want direct answers too
-Are not dressed appropriately

Actually my LinkedIn checks show they either hire nobody, someone that agrees to work for peanuts or its an internal promotion. There was one case where the guy hired his daughters friend. Heck, my last interview I was BS'ing with the CEO about his car and he was cracking jokes, thought I had that in the bag....NOPE.

greyh in Crystal Lake, Illinois

26 months ago

I've been out for over a year and had over a dozen interviews and for the most part they have all gone well. The biggest problem that I have run into is that the jobs seem to go to internal candidates 95% of the time. So basically there are no real jobs being added. Trying to go outside of your area of expertise as an alternative is next to impossible as there are just too many people that have the desired background. I am a professional in the finance industry skilled in a very specialized area that has consolidated over the years and therefore the opportunities are limited. I am running out of money quickly. Very hard to stay positive when the possibility of success is so low.

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York

26 months ago

greyh in Crystal Lake, Illinois said: Trying to go outside of your area of expertise as an alternative is next to impossible as there are just too many people that have the desired background. Very hard to stay positive when the possibility of success is so low.

So very true.

I've found that being a salesman in one industry and trying to get a sales job in another industry is very tough.

And it is hard too stay positive when you do well on an interview and don't get the job. It's like what more could I have done.

My big prob is that I am too picky on the jobs that I apply too.

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

Sounds like the legal industry in a nutshell. You get specialized in one area, and it's virtually impossible to transition into another area. You're basically looking at starting out with zero experience if you try to do so.

And I know things are really tough in Illinois job wise. You just won't hear about it here much because this is the infallible one's home base.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SusanMe in Denver

26 months ago

I actually found myself applying as crazy on jobs that not are not actually a good fit for my resume because I couldn't find anything in my field. It was so frustrating counting sent resumes and calls not received and interviews making me feel like a total loser.. It's really useless. Better have only 5 interviews but such I can handle. I felt there might be something I'm missing when it comes to different techniques how to actually `handle` an interview and not just stand there feeling dumb. Not sure if this will make a difference but think of getting some helpful materials such as gethiredtoolkit.com and see what they could offer. Has anyone tried anything like that?

Joe Gagill in Middletown, New York

26 months ago

SusanMe in Denver said: I actually found myself applying as crazy on jobs that not are not actually a good fit for my resume because I couldn't find anything in my field. It was so frustrating counting sent resumes and calls not received and interviews making me feel like a total loser.. It's really useless. Better have only 5 interviews but such I can handle. I felt there might be something I'm missing when it comes to different techniques how to actually `handle` an interview and not just stand there feeling dumb. Not sure if this will make a difference but think of getting some helpful materials such as gethiredtoolkit.com and see what they could offer. Has anyone tried anything like that?

What is your profession, what is it you do for a living?

Stillsmiling in Saint Marys, Georgia

26 months ago

SusanMe in Denver said: I actually found myself applying as crazy on jobs that not are not actually a good fit for my resume because I couldn't find anything in my field. It was so frustrating counting sent resumes and calls not received and interviews making me feel like a total loser.. It's really useless. Better have only 5 interviews but such I can handle. I felt there might be something I'm missing when it comes to different techniques how to actually `handle` an interview and not just stand there feeling dumb. Not sure if this will make a difference but think of getting some helpful materials such as gethiredtoolkit.com and see what they could offer. Has anyone tried anything like that?

No way would I pay for this "kit" when generally, you can find out just about anything for free by researching the internet, talking to people to find out how and what they did to find jobs. Those kinds of things kill me since that's how someone IS making money! When you are out of a job, you have very little money to throw around. The best move I made was talking to a career counselor (for free) and figuring out between the experience I have and my education, what type jobs I was able to apply for. I may still not have a job yet but I'm nowhere near the point of giving up. I apply to many jobs that if I have at least half of their minimum requirements, I go for it.

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York

26 months ago

Hey stupid, what do you do for a living?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

axel in Effingham, Illinois

26 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: Sounds like the legal industry in a nutshell. You get specialized in one area, and it's virtually impossible to transition into another area. You're basically looking at starting out with zero experience if you try to do so.

And I know things are really tough in Illinois job wise. You just won't hear about it here much because this is the infallible one's home base.

thats an understatment. illinois just stinks big time. as for unemployment, was told to be home at 130 to make determination call, he never called and sent denial letter without talkn to me at all. went back as requested to potential employer again, same thing come back and see me in couple days. grrrr what happened to treatn people the way you want to be treated?

Ryan O. in Cambridge, Massachusetts

21 months ago

MyCon in Georgia said: Hi Lauren,

After 3 in-person or phone interviews, but particularly with in-person interviews, I would be concerned. After 5, I would definitely be concerned.

Job searching starts with a good résumé or having (the right network) connections. It appears that you have a descent résumé, since you being invited to interviews. I’m sure you’ve done some form of self-critiquing, but it appears that you need to do a little bit more.

Here’s a few suggestions that you may or may not have heard of:
SOAR – Situation, Obstacles, Action & Result – May also be known as STAR
FAVs – Facts, Achievements & Value
Or Just List Out Your Accomplishments

Any one of these or a culmination of these & perhaps, with other interview techniques will greatly improve your interviewing skills. I just helped a friend & gave these same suggestions & now, he’ll be working with a major Fortune 500 company shortly. This particular company asked STAR questions & he nailed his interview after our preparation session. He was unemployed for 4 months.

I agree with the STAR technique. I am also someone that is currently interviewing in the Boston area. I'm getting interviews with some really good companies and some companies that are not bad. Some of the interviews I'm even getting calls back for a second phone interview or an in person interview. In the past year I've got maybe 10-15 interviews but only one offer and was a paid internship. The STAR technique is a key aspect in which you need to have prepared as they ask questions pertaining to past incidents. This is an area I need to work on and I think it will help you as well. Also, have confidence and be enthusiastic! Other than that keep on applying until you strike a position. Good luck!

HelloJ in Brooklyn, New York

21 months ago

I am 0 for 9 on interviews this year. I blew a chance for a contract job because of something I said during the interview. After that happened, I'm applying and searching more than ever. I'm 2 months removed and really looking to get back to working. And the unemployment offices aren't helping me either. I had to travel to their office to have someone 'assist' me for job searching, which I have no trouble with landing interviews. I didn't like how they tried giving me false encouragement on why I can't land an offer (I tried reasoning with her about the competition I'm up against, and I found out who I'm losing out to as well, they are as experienced or more), and I was signed up to take mandatory workshops. One was interview techniques, which didn't quite help. I knew most of what the teacher was trying to have us learn. The second was learning about social media, which I very well know how it works. They think LinkedIn would really help people with marginal jobs find work. I really feel like LinkedIn only benefits people who have worked extensively or work for a really good company so they can be poached (for example, a Yahoo HR person contacting you to try to take you away from Google). As far as someone who has little experience or worked at no name/small businesses, I don't find it helpful at all.

Bluetea in Texas

21 months ago

HelloJ in Brooklyn, New York said: I am 0 for 9 on interviews this year. I blew a chance for a contract job because of something I said during the interview. After that happened, I'm applying and searching more than ever. I'm 2 months removed and really looking to get back to working. And the unemployment offices aren't helping me either. I had to travel to their office to have someone 'assist' me for job searching, which I have no trouble with landing interviews. I didn't like how they tried giving me false encouragement on why I can't land an offer (I tried reasoning with her about the competition I'm up against, and I found out who I'm losing out to as well, they are as experienced or more), and I was signed up to take mandatory workshops. One was interview techniques, which didn't quite help. I knew most of what the teacher was trying to have us learn. The second was learning about social media, which I very well know how it works. They think LinkedIn would really help people with marginal jobs find work. I really feel like LinkedIn only benefits people who have worked extensively or work for a really good company so they can be poached (for example, a Yahoo HR person contacting you to try to take you away from Google). As far as someone who has little experience or worked at no name/small businesses, I don't find it helpful at all.

Unemployment offices are worthless.

21 months ago

HelloJ in Brooklyn, New York said: I am 0 for 9 on interviews this year. I blew a chance for a contract job because of something I said during the interview. After that happened, I'm applying and searching more than ever. I'm 2 months removed and really looking to get back to working. And the unemployment offices aren't helping me either. I had to travel to their office to have someone 'assist' me for job searching, which I have no trouble with landing interviews. I didn't like how they tried giving me false encouragement on why I can't land an offer (I tried reasoning with her about the competition I'm up against, and I found out who I'm losing out to as well, they are as experienced or more), and I was signed up to take mandatory workshops. One was interview techniques, which didn't quite help. I knew most of what the teacher was trying to have us learn. The second was learning about social media, which I very well know how it works. They think LinkedIn would really help people with marginal jobs find work. I really feel like LinkedIn only benefits people who have worked extensively or work for a really good company so they can be poached (for example, a Yahoo HR person contacting you to try to take you away from Google). As far as someone who has little experience or worked at no name/small businesses, I don't find it helpful at all.

What you said about NYS Unemployment Offices is right on.

Its only good for high school graduates trying to get a job.

HelloJ in Brooklyn, New York

21 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: What you said about NYS Unemployment Offices is right on.

Its only good for high school graduates trying to get a job.

Now you're just being nice.

Shoop in Edmonton, Alberta

21 months ago

I've been out for five months and have had eleven first interviews so far. I recently ran into one of the most unprofessional HR groups I have ever dealt with.

I applied over the holidays for Job A with a larger company. An HR rep called me the next day and she said she would get back to me as soon as she could arrange an interview time. 2 1/2 months later no word about the job and I applied for a higher position (Job B) with a different division of the company.

Two weeks later the HR person for Job B called and started out with "You haven't worked for five months, what have you been doing?" I told her that I had been applying for jobs, going to interviews and dealing with calls like hers, including the one from her colleague. She shifted into a more professional mode and we arranged an interview.

I had a good interview for Job B and the hiring manager told me that I didn't have quite the background he was looking for, but he felt I would be a really good fit for Job A. When he asked if I had applied for the first job I told him that I had and relayed my experience with the first HR rep.

The next day the first HR rep "coincidentally" called me back and we set up an interview for this afternoon. She called me yesterday morning at 9:30 and asked if I would be able to re-schedule my meeting for an hour after her call. I told her that the best I could do was to make it in for 11 which she reluctantly agreed to. At the interview and the hiring manager and the HR woman thanked me for agreeing to change time, then the HR rep said "Did I wake you up?" wtf? Am I supposed to be awake and ready for a short notice interview time change request at your convenience?

As the HR rep went through her list of questions lacking in all comprehension she asked something I had literally just answered. The manager nodded at me and told her that my last answer covered the question to his satisfaction.

Sigh, she's employed and I'm still looking...

Connie in Castle Rock, Colorado

21 months ago

Meh in Gibsonton, Florida said: I'm amazed at the fact that you got 12 interviews.

Most people these days are lucky to get 3 or 4 within a period of up to a year.

Well I have had more than 12 interviews i nine months...im frustrated what am I doing wrong? whats even worse is the unemployment is about to run out...I could use some help here 911!

21 months ago

Connie in Castle Rock, Colorado said: Well I have had more than 12 interviews i nine months...im frustrated what am I doing wrong? whats even worse is the unemployment is about to run out...I could use some help here 911!

ill bet 30-50 idk!
been on 4 in the past week

Keith in Lorain, Ohio

21 months ago

Connie in Castle Rock, Colorado said: Well I have had more than 12 interviews i nine months...im frustrated what am I doing wrong? whats even worse is the unemployment is about to run out...I could use some help here 911!

What is your area of expertise? Consider yourself very fortunate that you can get interviews. I can't get any call-backs, let alone interviews.

Try your local library and community college career centers for resume/interview workshops. This way you can get free advice from a career counselor.

Some colleges also video tape mock interviews and then you watch it afterwards while they critique it.

Some people are just plain rude. I had a company call me in for an interview, and they flat out told me they had no intention to hire me. They just wanted to ask me a few questions to see what I knew. Considering it was almost a 1 1/2 hour drive and I had to be there at 8AM, they should have asked me those questiions over the telephone. But some people want something to do during their morning coffee while they wake up and don't care who they impose on.

20 months ago

Thank you very much I am going to attend the work shop today I really need the help ill bet ive been to 20 or 30 (idk) interviews and nothing....please tell me the 20 something iI saw the other day wearing a short floral ruffle dress with cowboy boots and a denium jacket doesnt get the job over me that is ridiculous attire for an interview!

Jordan in Tampa, Florida

20 months ago

Connie...

Don't be so quick to assume that just because you don't land a job after a number of interviews it means you did something wrong at the interview. I had almost 30 interviews in 15 months before I recently got a job, and several of the positions I tried to get in that time had 100-200 applicants, and 5-10 (10% or less) got interviewed.

One of the jobs I went up for paid $27,000 a year with no benefits, and I lost it to a woman who had worked at Morgan Stanley for a number of years. Meaning a woman who worked at Morgan Stanley for a number of years took a job for 27K a year and no benefits.

That's who you're in competition with.

The fact that you get an interview at all means you're landing in the top percentage of candidates.

I know it can be very tough, particularly when help is running out and you don't know what you're going to do if you don't get something soon, but as Keith noted, there are lots of people who can't even get an interview in the first place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

thank you your words are very kind

Rob in Montréal, Quebec

18 months ago

I have had 11 + interviews in the past 5 months; 6 in person (2 with recruiters), 5 over the phone, and some short qualifiers (those are the +) that don't really count. Since I have been laid off I have completed an extensive course in my field from a respected university, two certifications related to an area I want to go into, will complete a third as soon as I write the test(an area I am not particularly interested in but I hear looks good on a resume), and I am looking at two or three more courses all related in one way or another to the areas I am concentrating on. I am trying to be either a project manager or producer and I am having no luck. No second interviews and no offers. I feel particularly depressed because I have had so many interviews in such a short period of time and I think I am going to be the last person from my office who got laid off who finds a new job and none of the others have had anywhere near as many interviews as I have. All of this leaves one variable as the culprit...me. I am starting to feel like I will never get a job. I keep seeing everyone else getting jobs and I cant help but ask "when does it get to be my turn, what am I doing wrong" but none the less I keep plugging away every day. I see that I am not alone but that doesn't make it any easier. How the heck do you all stay positive?

Exasperated in AZ in Phoenix, Arizona

18 months ago

Rob, I TOTALLY feel your pain, really. While still employed but wanting to move forward, for the last 2 years I've applied to 90 jobs (yes, I have a list), have had 25 interviews, often 2nd and 3rd interviews, and no offers. Many times it's been down to the wire with me and another candidate, and they end up getting the job. My field is nonprofit, having worked in it for nearly 12 years now, with 20 years work experience overall. I'm not even getting low to mid-level jobs. I'm ready to give up on nonprofit altogether and look in different fields and also different cities. Maybe the Phoenix job market is particularly bad. I don't know. Sorry to hear things are bad in Canada.

18 months ago

Rob in Montréal, Quebec said: I have had 11 + interviews in the past 5 months; 6 in person (2 with recruiters), 5 over the phone, and some short qualifiers (those are the +) that don't really count. Since I have been laid off I have completed an extensive course in my field from a respected university, two certifications related to an area I want to go into, will complete a third as soon as I write the test(an area I am not particularly interested in but I hear looks good on a resume), and I am looking at two or three more courses all related in one way or another to the areas I am concentrating on. I am trying to be either a project manager or producer and I am having no luck. No second interviews and no offers. I feel particularly depressed because I have had so many interviews in such a short period of time and I think I am going to be the last person from my office who got laid off who finds a new job and none of the others have had anywhere near as many interviews as I have. All of this leaves one variable as the culprit...me. I am starting to feel like I will never get a job. I keep seeing everyone else getting jobs and I cant help but ask "when does it get to be my turn, what am I doing wrong" but none the less I keep plugging away every day. I see that I am not alone but that doesn't make it any easier. How the heck do you all stay positive?

It ain't easy Rob, it ain't easy. Life pretty much stops for most.

I've got the gun here ready to blow out my brains one day. The depression has reached new levels. For many going on interviews, their best and past successes just isn't good enough. What's one to do?

Almost Suicidal in Richmond, Texas

18 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: It ain't easy Rob, it ain't easy. Life pretty much stops for most.

I've got the gun here ready to blow out my brains one day. The depression has reached new levels. For many going on interviews, their best and past successes just isn't good enough. What's one to do?

Joe, I don't like to hear you talking that way...What's for dinner? I see Beth is back this evening, let her cheer you right up?

Rob in Montréal, Quebec

18 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: It ain't easy Rob, it ain't easy. Life pretty much stops for most.

I really hope you are kidding about the gun Joe. Life gets bad, but in the end you still have your health. A lot of people who have great jobs dont have that and no matter what you are alive...thats the point of everything... being alive and living. If you are really in that kind of hurt you should talk to someone. Losing my job often makes me fee

18 months ago

Health is important, but certainly not everything. Living like a pauper with no income simply sucks. Can't go do much of anything that "normal" folks with jobs do. Can't go out to eat. Can't take vacations. Leaching off everybody for the simplest of things. Doesn't seem like much quality to life about that, health or no health......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.