12 job interviews but no job offers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 245 of 245)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

Almost Suicidal in Richmond, Texas

37 months ago

I have my health. Although, if I went to a doctor, I might find out otherwise. I had health insurance briefly last year, didn't have the time off or the copay or the courage to go for a check up. It's been years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Montréal, Quebec

37 months ago

Are you saying you have been out of work for years? What do you do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Montréal, Quebec

37 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: It ain't easy Rob, it ain't easy. Life pretty much stops for most.

I've got the gun here ready to blow out my brains one day. The depression has reached new levels. For many going on interviews, their best and past successes just isn't good enough. What's one to do?

I really hope you are kidding about the gun Joe. Life gets bad, but in the end you still have your health. A lot of people who have great jobs dont have that and no matter what you are alive...thats the point of everything... being alive and living. If you are really in that kind of hurt you should talk to someone. Losing my job often makes me fee

Almost Suicidal in Richmond, Texas

37 months ago

Rob in Montréal, Quebec said: Are you saying you have been out of work for years? What do you do?

No, not out work for years. I spent a year in a job with no benefits. And six months in a a job with benefits that I never had the time or the money to use.

I'm hoping my next job will be a good one, and my last job ever. I got my master's degree in 08 and the market where I live is saturated in my field.

Rob in Montréal, Quebec

37 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Richmond, Texas said: No, not out work for years. I spent a year in a job with no benefits. And six months in a a job with benefits that I never had the time or the money to use.

I'm hoping my next job will be a good one, and my last job ever. I got my master's degree in 08 and the market where I live is saturated in my field.

Then promise me you'll hang on and talk to someone if it gets really bad rather than doing something you want have a chance to regret later

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Richmond, Texas said: No, not out work for years. I spent a year in a job with no benefits. And six months in a a job with benefits that I never had the time or the money to use.

No job is forever anymore. Even some gub'mint jobs are now being threatened.

And to get my last job, I took my MBA off the resume. Didn't want to appear "overqualified".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

Rob in Montréal, Quebec said: Then promise me you'll hang on and talk to someone if it gets really bad rather than doing something you want have a chance to regret later

Thank you Rob. Not to worry, I was having a very bad day when I signed up...and the name was available=)

Blue,

I have an interview tomorrow morning, I have worked out a great pitch for the question "Why are you interested...or Why are you the best..." Wish me luck!

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

And where is Joe today?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: Thank you Rob. Not to worry, I was having a very bad day when I signed up...and the name was available=)

Blue,

I have an interview tomorrow morning, I have worked out a great pitch for the question "Why are you interested...or Why are you the best..." Wish me luck!

Good Luck! I don't have a slick answer to that one.

I don't know where Joe's at today.

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

37 months ago

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas said: I have an interview tomorrow morning, I have worked out a great pitch for the question "Why are you interested...or Why are you the best..." Wish me luck!

I wish you the best, hope it works out for you! X= (fingers crossed)

tryingintexas in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

I thought it was just me with these interviews and disappointments. Texas is starting to hire more in sectors outside of retail and restaurants so this time I have spent out of work (two years) has turned into time I spend in interviews. Right now I have a job supposedly pending in another city. The BIGGEST thing for me right now is the 50 million interviews for one job. Telephone, 1st, 2nd... In my mind, I assume maybe an initial face to face and then a follow up. Hiring practices are ridiculous right now. I am in my 30's and remember when you had one or two people who handled your resume AND THEY made the decision as to whether you were hired or not.

Bluetea in Texas

37 months ago

tryingintexas in Houston, Texas said: I thought it was just me with these interviews and disappointments. Texas is starting to hire more in sectors outside of retail and restaurants so this time I have spent out of work (two years) has turned into time I spend in interviews. Right now I have a job supposedly pending in another city. The BIGGEST thing for me right now is the 50 million interviews for one job. Telephone, 1st, 2nd... In my mind, I assume maybe an initial face to face and then a follow up. Hiring practices are ridiculous right now. I am in my 30's and remember when you had one or two people who handled your resume AND THEY made the decision as to whether you were hired or not.

I am in my 60's and I remember when they hired you on the spot. Ancient History now.

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

If it makes the OP or anyone else feel better, I've had way more than 12 interviews in the last 5 months I've been unemployed and am getting absolutely nowhere.

ka2 in Sydney, Australia

37 months ago

If there are only a few candidates applying to the positions that you got an interview for, then I would say your interviewing is most likely the issue. Have a look at these tips www.kmd-solutions.com/interviewtips.htm

If however, there are like 50 applicants or more for each position, then it's probably to do more with who the employers see as the most suitable, based on what they see on the resumes & at the interviews. So also, if this is the case, improving your interviewing skills should increase your overall chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

37 months ago

Hi Job Seekers,

My wife runs a company called Job Interview Solutions. The
company specializes in preparing you for your job interview via an online course.

The course consists of
10 Virtual Interviews
Job Interview Work Book
Psychometric Testing Information

I have set up a free username and password for you to try if you wish.

Website www.jobinterview-solutions.com
Username yellow
Password cabs13

Please pass it onto your friends and let me know what you think.

Kind Regards,

Jason

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nate in Detroit, Michigan

37 months ago

Lauren in Beltsville, Maryland said: Response to MyCon in Georgia"]Hi Lauren,

After 3 in-person or phone interviews, but particularly with in-person interviews, I would be concerned. After 5, I would definitely be concerned."

Thanks for the response, I am concerned and will research you suggestions. These are the lessons I have learned.

1) ALWAYS, beware of the companies culture, I interviewed for a finance position at a very well known company, but was told " wow you are over dressed," although they were joking, the message they got was that I wouldn't fit in with their laid back style.

2) Become your own PR!! I have always down played myself, and didn't want the hiring manager to think that I would be competition one day,( after being out of work for 9 months, you'll try anything) Companies want leaders, at one company I actully said " oh I wouldn't want to manage anyone," of course they thought I wasn't aiming high.

3) Managers want to hire people that they think they can be friends with, if they don't like you, they won't hire you and vice versa.

4) A lot of companies look at credit reports,just an fyi.

VERY TRUE ABOUT THE FRIENDS ASPECT.

jasonmantle in Singapore, Singapore

36 months ago

Interviews are really tricky. Well, I've just read a witty interview book called Screw You Interview. I find it refreshing since it mixes the art of seduction with interview tips. I got it in amazon for only 3 bucks and the advice actually worked in my last interview.
Here's the link if any of you are interested: www.amazon.com/Screw-You-Interview-ebook/dp/B00DYW4124/

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

36 months ago

Rob in Montréal, Quebec said: I have had 11 + interviews in the past 5 months; 6 in person (2 with recruiters), 5 over the phone, and some short qualifiers (those are the +) that don't really count. Since I have been laid off I have completed an extensive course in my field from a respected university, two certifications related to an area I want to go into, will complete a third as soon as I write the test(an area I am not particularly interested in but I hear looks good on a resume), and I am looking at two or three more courses all related in one way or another to the areas I am concentrating on. I am trying to be either a project manager or producer and I am having no luck. No second interviews and no offers. I feel particularly depressed because I have had so many interviews in such a short period of time and I think I am going to be the last person from my office who got laid off who finds a new job and none of the others have had anywhere near as many interviews as I have. All of this leaves one variable as the culprit...me. I am starting to feel like I will never get a job. I keep seeing everyone else getting jobs and I cant help but ask "when does it get to be my turn, what am I doing wrong" but none the less I keep plugging away every day. I see that I am not alone but that doesn't make it any easier. How the heck do you all stay positive?

What other jobs have they found?

cori in Minneapolis, Minnesota

33 months ago

I have gotten about 20 interviews, face to face, in a one month period. However, I haven't gotten one offer. I have gotten close, getting the second interview, but still nothing. I am working 3 part time jobs right now and interviewing like crazy. I have looked at interview tips online and I don't believe I am a terrible interviewer. I am not the nervous type. I have asked for feedback, but the only sort of response I get is that they picked someone more qualified. I have ten plus years of experience in customer service and have worked at a psychologist's office for awhile. I can't think of what else to do. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott C

33 months ago

I have gotten 6 face to face interviews since Sep,2 with HR and 4 directly with Hiring Manager, 4 went well other 2 is so so,non offer even none any response/feedback after follow-up. Being frustrate and confusion quite a while,don't know what's goes wrong.

about to give up in Sugar Land, Texas

31 months ago

I have been jobless for the past 6 months; I spend days and days applying to all types of positions: ones where I am qualified, over qualified and way over qualified (receptionist positions, office administrative, etc.). I have been called on 4 interviews, one of them I was invited for a 2nd round where I was given the office tour and after all that, nothing!

These people don't have the common courtesy to even call you and tell you that you were not offered the position for XY or Z reasons. I dont know who I am more mad at the economy or these pompous hiring managers/recruiters.

bg info: 27, friends are all in oil and gas and healthcare making a great living, 3 of my student loans are in repayment...

You feel like giving up but all I can do is act on this LITTLE hope I have left.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

A Bruce in Cardiff, United Kingdom

31 months ago

I was out of work for 3 years due to a severe health issue which I am now able to control better. However despite many interviews and being more than qualified for the positions I applied for, (jobs like admin, reception and shop work), I received no job offers. I was discriminated against because of my illness, my age, and wait for it - my honesty! Yes, when I asked for feedback, the reasons given were that I was too honest and shouldn`t have mentioned my illness. I was also told that I shouldn`t mention when asked about my interests that I am a qualified psychotherapist and hypnotherapist as some might think that I was a bit weird! I am not comfortable with lying and I find the whole interview process a complete farce, based upon who can lie and bum themselves up the best. It`s about time they came up with a more effective method of employing people. Let`s face it, anyone can say anything at an interview, it doesn`t make it true. Also as the old saying goes it`s not what you know it`s who you know. Have you ever wondered why on earth some people ever get employed over you? I am living proof of the point I am making. My partner put in a good word for me with his employers and I was offered a warehouse job, despite never having worked in a warehouse before. It is only temporary and I hate it. I am locked in a dark, dingy and filthy building and the only small windows at one end have bars on them. It`s like being in prison, but it does give me some much needed cash for the time being. It makes me very depressed to think that at 49 years of age, with over 30 years experience in customer service and retail, at a time when most people have reached the top of their profession, I am in the worst job I could ever have imagined, with no hope of getting anything else, all because I was unfortunate enough to get ill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

KMSumeet in United Kingdom

31 months ago

www.9kriwala.com is a new generation job portal, with current recruitment scenario where everyone is so tech savvy and automated, why is our recruitment process still not.

The answer is now coming with the new portal named http://9kriwala.com with complete recruitment process automation.

Features which make 9KriWala a complete one stop solution to current recruitment issues are:

1. Online evaluation.

2. Online Video conferencing interviews.

3. Online offer letter and negotiation.

4. Holistic and historical view of applicants job cycle.

Register today and apply to latest job openings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Oj2008 in Winter Park, Florida

27 months ago

I have had several interview which haven't worked out. Most. Of the people who I have interviewed have been from India and it has been very difficult for me to understand anything that was asked.

Metacomet in Gloucester, Massachusetts

27 months ago

I've been looking for work since October, and finished my stupid idea of grad school in December. I work a whopping 14 hours a week at the library, and make $300 every 2 weeks. I had work and internships in grad school, but no one will give me full time work. I've had 2 interviews for full time jobs, one I flew to North Dakota for, the other was local. Since I haven't heard back from the later in 3 weeks I am assuming it is a no as well.

I am 26 years old and live with my parents and don't even have my own car. Did I mention there is no transit around? Ya, when I am not working I am stuck in the house. I am single and my nearest friends live two hours away. I am a complete professional failure, and feel like an absolute worthless bum still living like this. I know people who got arrested in high school are financially better off than I am.

Honestly grad school was the only thing that kept my alive the past 2 years. I am slipping back into depression. I have no idea what to do. My life is wasting every day. When i didn't get into my top-choice school I should've taken the hint.

I am starting to think my only hail mary left is teaching english abroad. But I really don't think I'd want to go that far away for a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

accounting guy in Saint Paul, Minnesota

25 months ago

25 years of experience as an accountant, always at small businesses. I have a bachelors degree and a CPA license, which is generally considered about as good as an MBA in my line of work. I was at my last job for nearly 10 years.

I have had 15 first interviews in the last nine months, including 6 interviews in the last 3 weeks. I'm not counting phone interviews or second interviews. 13 rejections, 1 offer, and 1 that will probably be a rejection on Monday. Sadly, I turned down the one offer so far, because the starting pay was just barely enough to pay my bills. I should have taken the offer and kept looking on the side. Now I am taking the drastic step of renting out my house while putting most of my stuff in storage and renting a cheap room.

The crazy part is that the local unemployment rate in my field is just 2%. Thanks to Career Builder and LinkedIn, I know that I am competing against an average of just 20 people, and 90% of them are currently employed.

It has to be something wrong with my interviews. My search method and resume are getting me interviews. I wear a nice suit and tie, I am in great physical shape, and I have good answers for almost any question. I have two theories.

#1: It could be salary. Every interviewer has been bringing up the salary question in the first interview. My research tells me that my payrate at my old job was average, and I have been asking for a little more than that when I didn't know that employer's expectation. Some have let me know that I was on the high side, and then I quickly backed down to a lower number when I could.

#2: My last four employers are all out of business. Taken over by competitor, local operation shut down, taken over by supplier, and the last one went broke after a disastrous decline in sales that lasted two years. Maybe this trail of wreckage makes me look bad, but small companies often go out of business. I put a positive spin on each past job, but the trend might be scaring off employers.

Jury 14 in Hartford, Connecticut

25 months ago

Cam in Aurora, Colorado said: No job for almost 5 months now. I have a Bachelors in Finance but it is almost impossible to get in the door without 3 to 5 years experience already in this field. I had 3 jobs at the same time before this, none were satisfying or challenging and there was little money to be made for working 60+ hours/week. I also currently have a car that isn't running properly, a broken foot, no health insurance ( just turned 26), no job prospects, no way to currently get to interviews easily, no money, and very little optimism left. The days only seem to get longer as I stare out of my window and all it makes me want to do is sleep so I can wake up the next day and be greeted with some form of good news. But that too, seems to be further away than ever. All I want is an opportunity, is that asking too much?

I know someone working in Finance without a degree at my current place of work. That's right. She only has a highschool degree, and makes about 50k+ a year. I was pretty shocked when I heard that. I really don't get how people are getting jobs, and others aren't... I'm struggling to now pay my student loans and get a better job, while she is loan free and making more than enough cash to support herself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Penny in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

24 months ago

In 4 months time I've managed to get 3 in-person interviews and 1 skype interview. Never heard from any of them. It's so rude that they don't even tell you they gave the job to someone else. I would understand if I just sent in my resume and never hear from them, but you actually get to talk to them and they just ignore you.

What makes it even worse is that I'm interviewing for recruiter positions. If I do get a job as a recruiter, I will absolutely inform someone if they didn't get a job. Ethics people!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

mycon in Houston, Texas

24 months ago

ventio in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: When you went to these interviews what did you do to get ready? Preparation is a large part of success for interviews it can make or break the experience. I'd be interested in knowing what you did before so i can maybe give you some more useful information

bestdamnresumes.com/interview-preperation/

Penny in Baton,

Like ventio stated - "preparation is a large part of success..." That's very true. Developing your SOAR (Situation, Obstacles, Actions,& Results) or STAR (Situation, Tasks, Actions & Results) are both very good interviewing preparation techniques that's been around for quite some time.

It's particularly useful when correlating your situation to the interviewers or company's needs. In a typical interview, the interviewer(s) will tell a little bit about the company & position or situation & why they have a need. This is a good time to take mental notes & start preparing your SOAR or STAR story.

In addition to preparation, post interview actions or lack of can also indicate candidates position to wanting the job. Some may argue, but submitting "a good Thank You" letter still goes a long ways. Again, this is an area where you can re-state some of the company's required & desired needs & correlate them to yours & why you will be a valuable assets for the position or company.

Good luck with your next interviews...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Penny in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

24 months ago

ventio in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: When you went to these interviews what did you do to get ready? Preparation is a large part of success for interviews it can make or break the experience. I'd be interested in knowing what you did before so i can maybe give you some more useful information

bestdamnresumes.com/interview-preperation/

The thing is, I always think my interviews went great. One company said, they'll contact me for a second interview, they never did. I even sent them a follow up letter. No response. For another company the interview went really well and even lasted almost 2 hours, but I don't know what happened.
I think one of my problems is that these companies contact me knowing that I am under-qualified. I have only 1 year experience and they're calling me knowing that they're looking for someone with 3 years experience. They give me an interview cause my resume looks interesting (they really say this to me). It's possible that they expected me to know more, but I don't.

shingami in Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

tryingintexas in Houston, Texas said: The BIGGEST thing for me right now is the 50 million interviews for one job. Telephone, 1st, 2nd... In my mind, I assume maybe an initial face to face and then a follow up. Hiring practices are ridiculous right now. I am in my 30's and remember when you had one or two people who handled your resume AND THEY made the decision as to whether you were hired or not.

Just had to reply to this, I know it's old, but I had a phone interview for a receptionist position, and when I asked her what was the next step, she said I'd be called for an in person with 2 people and if that went well, I'd come back and talk to the vice president. Umm, really, for RECEPTION?! I know there were admin duties in there, but from what they told me, it was ordering supplies and backing up the admins and other assistant, so doing their grunt work. But still main job was reception and I gotta interview 3 different times? I know Glassdoor.com needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but I read up on the company and the majority of people say the interview process is grueling and unnecessary. And on the phone she asked about pay and I mentioned $25,000, thinking that's nothing cause my last job was even lower than that, and I felt like she balked. Good grief.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andromeda Rising in Rockbridge, Ohio

24 months ago

How much longer are we going to be spammed with best dern resumes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

leeann66 in Ontario

24 months ago

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois said: Just had to reply to this, I know it's old, but I had a phone interview for a receptionist position, and when I asked her what was the next step, she said I'd be called for an in person with 2 people and if that went well, I'd come back and talk to the vice president. Umm, really, for RECEPTION?! I know there were admin duties in there, but from what they told me, it was ordering supplies and backing up the admins and other assistant , so doing their grunt work. But still main job was reception and I gotta interview 3 different times? I know Glassdoor.com needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but I read up on the company and the majority of people say the interview process is grueling and unnecessary. And on the phone she asked about pay and I mentioned $25,000, thinking that's nothing cause my last job was even lower than that, and I felt like she balked. Good grief.

Chances are, they would also pile up the workload on you if you got the job. The truth is - there are too many unemployed people and not enough jobs. In some places, there are 10 job seekers for every position available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mommy10 in Austin, Texas

23 months ago

I too have had tons of interviews, 16 over the last two months, but no offers. I'm starting to think I'm the problem. Is something wrong with me? Although, we each interview I more relaxed. Maybe I'm too relaxed and appear over-confident. I don't know. What do you think?

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

23 months ago

Leeann66 in Ontario said: Chances are, they would also pile up the workload on you if you got the job. The truth is - there are too many unemployed people and not enough jobs. In some places, there are 10 job seekers for every position available.

10? Where my sister works they can get 500 apps for a single posting.

Bynddrvn in Boston, Massachusetts

23 months ago

The competition for middle class jobs is insane. After I was out of work for two years a company hired me as a temp earning about 1/3 what I used to earn in a consulting firm. They cut the position after a year but were kind enough to give me a month's heads up.

Now 9 months later I still do not have a job. I have traveled to other states looking for a job, filled out thousands of applications, asked friends/family if they knew of any open positions, had hundreds of interviews, filled out countless personality tests and math tests, and so on.

I applied to a junior financial analyst position and at the end of the online application the company provided high level metrics of the pool of applicants. In the first two hours the company received more than 100 resumes, including many candidates with certifications and Masters degrees. The company listed the number of candidates with Masters degrees approx. 50% and I noticed there were at least 20 or so candidates from top MBA programs. Something is seriously wrong with our economy.

The Sunday paper included exactly ONE job in the classified section for waitstaff at a local restaurant. Just trying to get past applying for a job that is similar to the one I had before I went to a good college and graduated with almost a straight "A" average. Shoot me.

Renee in Dayton, Ohio

23 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: Not in the way red hair or green eyes is but AA says there is a "tendency" for alcoholism to "run in families". Both my aunt and brother died of it.

Bullcrap, my whole family is drunks and I can't stand the thought of drinking, you moron!

DMarie in MA in Attleboro, Massachusetts

23 months ago

Bynddrvn in Boston, Massachusetts said: The competition for middle class jobs is insane. After I was out of work for two years a company hired me as a temp earning about 1/3 what I used to earn in a consulting firm. They cut the position after a year but were kind enough to give me a month's heads up.

Now 9 months later I still do not have a job. I have traveled to other states looking for a job, filled out thousands of applications, asked friends/family if they knew of any open positions, had hundreds of interviews, filled out countless personality tests and math tests, and so on.

I applied to a junior financial analyst position and at the end of the online application the company provided high level metrics of the pool of applicants. In the first two hours the company received more than 100 resumes, including many candidates with certifications and Masters degrees. The company listed the number of candidates with Masters degrees approx. 50% and I noticed there were at least 20 or so candidates from top MBA programs. Something is seriously wrong with our economy.

The Sunday paper included exactly ONE job in the classified section for waitstaff at a local restaurant. Just trying to get past applying for a job that is similar to the one I had before I went to a good college and graduated with almost a straight "A" average. Shoot me.

I'm also in the Boston area and I think it's the crappiest job market in the country, I've been struggling to find perm work for 12 years (since the last recession), could only get contract gigs. Unfortunately I acknowledged this fact a little too late, now with my gap I'm unemployable nationwide. If you're still young I suggest getting out of here now...

Bynddrvn in Boston, Massachusetts

23 months ago

DMarie in MA in Attleboro, Massachusetts said: I'm also in the Boston area and I think it's the crappiest job market in the country, I've been struggling to find perm work for 12 years (since the last recession), could only get contract gigs. Unfortunately I acknowledged this fact a little too late, now with my gap I'm unemployable nationwide. If you're still young I suggest getting out of here now...

I think the problem with MA in general - is the number of candidate with Masters degree(s) and Certifications. The competition is insane. Seriously I am competing against candidates with an MBA from Dartmouth, Harvard, and Yale - for a $60k Financial Analyst position with limited upside potential?

In Northern VA there were plenty of government positions but it is next to impossible to break into government jobs without some previous experience. With a lot of inside contacts I was able to get several interviews but none led to a job. In all cases I lost out to a candidate laid off from a government position in the past few years.

There just don't seem to be a lot of good paying jobs left. In my family/circle of friends - I would say only about 40% are doing as well as they were in 2008. Some in this group are only doing this well after threatening legal action against the boot trying to kick them out the door. The rest are earning well below their educational levels or have been unemployed for years.

With so many people out of work - companies really need to start to consider relaxing some of their parameters. The perfect employee doesn't exist!

23 months ago

Bynddrvn in Boston, Massachusetts said: I think the problem with MA in general - is the number of candidate with Masters degree(s) and Certifications...

I don't know if you read the comments of that "Ask the Headhunter" article I posted in the other thread, but check out this guy's response to me:

"I have been out of work for a few years. I live in Boston. I’ve inherited a home where the Marathon Bomber was chased from house to house. Since I now own a home in Boston, I finally relented and started looking for work in Boston about a year ago. Looking for work in Boston is one of the worst mistakes I’ve made in the past few years. You’ll find that people looking for STEM openings in Boston are having the same experience you are.

"Let me give you an example: For a moment, suppose I could play TinkerBell and with a little pixie dust, I could turn you into a solid mid-level iPhone (iOS) developer that has graphics skills to develop user interfaces. Because you’re only a solid mid-level iOS developer, you’re unqualified for any of the iOS positions available in the Boston area today. Only iOS expert developers need apply.

"I picked iOS because it’s one of the hottest in-demand skills right now & recruiters can’t find candidates. I’m willing to bet at least one recruiter will read this response and will be shocked that you’d be turned down for iOS work.

"This is the reality of the Boston job market. Companies are hiring if you meet their ridiculous list of requirements, then they’ll offer peanuts as pay.

"You are far from alone in having difficulty finding work in Boston. If I were you, I start looking for a positions further & further away from Boston. Even if you had to work out some temporary arrangement, just to get your confidence back."

23 months ago

Oh, and no, companies don't need to reconsider relaxing their parameters -- why should they? This is their dream market, for every crappy job with a salary straight out of the Reagan Administration era, there will be dozens of eager applicants. Why should they care about a disappearing middle class? It doesn't affect them!

This week I officially completed my TEFL certification. I'm looking at jobs in South Korea right now, the only thing messing me up is waiting for the sale of my house to go through, and figuring out what to do about my poor cats (my mom in her better moods says she'll take care of them when I head overseas, but she's been in a bad mood lately...she's not happy that her daughter has to head to the other side of the world just for a stinkin' job)...

Hunter in Tucson, Arizona

23 months ago

One of the things that annoys me most is that people are so quick to accuse us of being the problem. If we haven't gotten job offers our resume must be bad or we must be interviewing poorly. It is like losing an election for class president in high school and being told "its just a popularity contest" by your friends. Oh so everyone just doesn't like me? Gee now I feel better.

So many of us work hard and are capable and kind people. If we interviewed and didn't get the job, you know what, maybe it isn't us. Maybe it is them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dawn88 in Pleasanton, California

16 months ago

I went 2 yrs without a job after being railroaded out of a 1 yr job I got 2009, by a useless boss who was a real estate agent that lucked into being made Office Manager when the other one quit. All she did all day was talk to her Mom/hubby on the phone. I managed to get unemployment/extended and after 2 yrs finally got a job in a dirty warehouse for cellular site startup. The owner had no clue how to run a business. I set up personnel, Quickbooks, employment compliance, Workmans Comp, filing systems and payroll. The first 3 wks I spotted their payroll charge they had been screwed on, asked my bimbo boss, who said, "Huh?" I changed the provider, saved the company $26,700 for the year! My thanks was to have pranks pulled on me by idiot tower guys, making my job even harder. I did a new employee guide they all rebelled against. I caught them all lying on Timesheets constantly! After 6 months, I start rolling, design a company logo put on shirts, painted the trucks with. Then the 33 yr old Owner starts spending company money on his home remodel, has me pay his wife a $3000 part time salary(when she never is there), buys a new car and ruins the accounting system pulling blocks of cash out and not telling me, like right when I'm submitting payroll?! I could go on, but I wasn't a young bimbo with cleavage...nor wanted to hang out for their beer parties when I had a home to take care of after work. After I fix the mess, he tells me "things are getting tight" so I told him I already saved him more than I've been paid all year, did he forget? He leaves for a fishing trip, and Bimbo says, "Since Friday is your last day..." Apparently he told her he "laid me off?" I pack up and leave the dump, and find out in 3 weeks he hired Bimbo's niece for my job! I have a mortgage, live alone and the niece is married with a working hubby? The remaining Admins can't tie their own shoes or add 2+2!

KEEP READING since my space ran out->

16 months ago

I got a 1099 contracting job and the project failed, had a signed contract and got burned $6500, sued and won, but can't collect any of it, so put a lien on the crook's house.

I ramped up job search before I loose my house. After 18 mos. of unemployment, no income, my life savings is gone. I have $16K debt on VISA to live on, since I can't get a job! I've sold my jewelry, anything for pennies. I've applied to 376 jobs, had 38 interviews since August. I mastered the game, do it all right, but no job. I have done tests and scored perfect, been jerked by 7 job agencies, been ignored after interviews, you name it. I'm 60 but can pass for 40, and pray they never figure it out. I've gone without medical for 5 yrs, drive a 13 yr old car. Finally applied for food stamps, felt like a bum. I used to make $50K, have dropped to $15/hr, still no job. I have IQ of 145, skipped 2 grades, have the skills/expertise in everything from financial statements to Photoshop. Done legal, contracts, won in Court 5 times. I do websites, contracts, office/property management, accounting, HR, and can fix my own car! I tried to get $15 crap job last week, no dice. I interviewed for a great support role, told overqualified. I should have used sex years ago to get ahead, instead of work hard and have values. Now I fight suicide daily. My Mom died, 2nd husband, sister, best GF and dog died. My life is a waste, but I "have my health." Lucky to have pals slip me $20 to get food/gas. I can't refi my house without a job!

I've seen jobs pick up, but can't get one. I can't take it anymore. I hate my life, wish I was with my dead husband constantly. My confidence is gone, I'm old, washed up and hopeless. I have to sell my house, leave Calif. and go to Maui to sell snow cones out of my car. Spend my last good yrs in paradise, before I die. Alone.

Corporations can shove their greed. The dream is over.

Good luck to you all!

16 months ago

The worst feeling is when I apply for a job I qualify for, get called/screened within 2 days, then interviewed. I spend gas, tolls, time. I feel like I did great, I send thank you notes, and these rude idiots never contact you again. You're "pushy" if you follow up, or considered "disinterested" if you don't? The hiring people are lucky to have their jobs, scared of anyone with brains! Why burn qualified people?

I've learned ALL agencies are bogus, they want your info for their database, won't do a thing for you. Use them back, take their $$$ skills tests, make sure to print the score page, so you have proof of your skill set for interviews!

I know I won't get a job if they don't ask me back before I leave that first interview! If they don't call you back by the next day, forget it and move on. It's like dating, play hard to get, be on best behavior. I bring samples of my work they gush over! I warn my references to be on standby.

I never mention money or benefits. If they ask my salary requirement, I ask what the job is paying! I pretend I'm working when I answer, "This is D. speaking." They don't know what I'm doing, since I say "1099 contractor" on the app (they can't verify)!

The interviewer is not your pal, never let your guard down. Pretend you are so happy to be there, you'd be so thrilled to work for them and solve all their problems. NEVER SAY ANYTHING NEGATIVE! No trash talk about jobs or bosses, don't complain about traffic or parking. Nod and smile like a bobble head. Say, "I could never do your job." Play Borderline Bimbo, since they get hired. Don't oversell yourself, act intimidated.

NEVER seem desperate! Don't be yourself, or honest. Don't let them know you are getting your power shut off for not paying.
LIE TO THEM LIKE THEY DO TO YOU. Become a better liar to succeed.

Say goodbye to middle class life as you've known it. It isn't coming back. Plan accordingly.
Best of luck to all - I'm out!

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.