2 interviews and rude employers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

notgonnausemyname in No Where, Idaho

17 months ago

Curoius if I am now an anomily? I had an interview a few weeks ago, a panel interview, and not only were they aggressive and nasty but they were TEXTING and ungaged at the table. Why waste my time? I knew when I left that interview there was no way I would take the job. Oh let's add the fact that I AM an HR Professional, why treat someone anyone like crap in an interview? The next situation is baffling even to me. I showed up for my scheduled interview, the HR Manager called in sick. She had sent me an email to tell me this, REALLY? You can't call me? So I have tried to reschedule, but she is slow and unresponsive. I am telling you these are the impressions these companies are giving out when they schedule interviews. WHy would good, solid potential employees WASTE their time even working for you? I have never gone through anything like this. I have seen and watched employers treat me, an HR professional, like utter crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

17 months ago

notgonnausemyname in No Where, Idaho said: Curoius if I am now an anomily? I had an interview a few weeks ago, a panel interview, and not only were they aggressive and nasty but they were TEXTING and ungaged at the table. Why waste my time? I knew when I left that interview there was no way I would take the job. Oh let's add the fact that I AM an HR Professional, why treat someone anyone like crap in an interview? The next situation is baffling even to me. I showed up for my scheduled interview, the HR Manager called in sick. She had sent me an email to tell me this, REALLY? You can't call me? So I have tried to reschedule, but she is slow and unresponsive. I am telling you these are the impressions these companies are giving out when they schedule interviews. WHy would good, solid potential employees WASTE their time even working for you? I have never gone through anything like this. I have seen and watched employers treat me, an HR professional, like utter crap.

LOL! Just imagine how they treat the rest of us. Yeah, if you are looking for common courtesy, job hunting ain't for you.

I had an interview cancelled on me while I was on my way to it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: LOL! Just imagine how they treat the rest of us. Yeah, if you are looking for common courtesy, job hunting ain't for you.

I had an interview cancelled on me while I was on my way to it!

Wow, I am so blown away by what people are experiencing with HR, it is no wonder we have such a horrible reputation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cheshire in Mississauga, Ontario

17 months ago

Keep going, the experience you had was nothing like what a bunch of us have dealt with. Fun times.

HR has the reputation it does for a reason, we're not all just bitter and angry. These stories are too common these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

17 months ago

notgonnausemyname in No Where, Idaho said: Wow, I am so blown away by what people are experiencing with HR, it is no wonder we have such a horrible reputation.

Well HR's the one who hired all those rude HR employees....go figure...=/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California

17 months ago

It's not just employers. People in general are lacking basic courtesy and consideration for others -- the way people drive, illegally park, speak to you, walk in front of you, cut in line, etc. People just have no manners and are raising their children similarly.

A woman in an SUV over the weekend was parked in a no-parking zone AND preoccupied with texting. Nobody could back out of their spaces due to the position of her oversized vehicle. Annoyed, that people were honking at her and interrupting her texting activity, she scooted up a few inches, which still caused others to be blocked in. I mean really? Why does the rest of the world have to be inconvenienced for you. I literally wanted to get out of my car and tell her to put the phone down and move the heck out of the way. Fortunately, someone beat me to it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr Gagill in Monticello, New York

17 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: It's not just employers. People in general are lacking basic courtesy and consideration for others -- the way people drive, illegally park, speak to you, walk in front of you, cut in line, etc. People just have no manners and are raising their children similarly.

Fess up, you stole this from me. I've talked about this in past writings.

It's a reflection of society. And it's not just a few companies, it's the majority of them. The job seeker is treated like a milky way wrapper that is easily tossed away. Get use to it.

Leigh in Potato Land, if you need a job you have to play the game. Good Luck, I wish you the best.

17 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: It's not just employers. People in general are lacking basic courtesy and consideration for others -- the way people drive, illegally park, speak to you, walk in front of you, cut in line, etc. People just have no manners and are raising their children similarly.

It's a reflection of society. And it's not just a few companies, it's the majority of them. The job seeker is treated like a milky way wrapper that is easily tossed on the ground. Get use to it.

Leigh in Potato Land, if you need a job you have to play the game. Good Luck, I wish you the best.

17 months ago

It's a reflection of society. And it's not just a few companies, it's the majority of them. The job seeker is treated like a milky way wrapper that is easily tossed on the ground. Get use to it.

They would never treat a customer/client like they treat the interviewer.

17 months ago

interviewee I meant

17 months ago

Mr Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Fess up, you stole this from me. I've talked about this in past writings.

It's a reflection of society. And it's not just a few companies, it's the majority of them. The job seeker is treated like a milky way wrapper that is easily tossed away. Get use to it.

This is my anthem, my own words, and my own feelings. Frankly, my husband's tired of hearing about it and doesn't agree that people are sucking now more than at any other time. How people are is how people whether they be on the job, in the market, in the car. I always show my appreciation when someone is kind because it is so rare. It's like people have no feelings sometimes. You cannot teach people to feel.

17 months ago

Grammar check -- How people are is how people are -- whether they are on the job, in the market, or in the car. WTH is happening to my English? I probably don't need good English skills to get a job nowadays anyway.

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

17 months ago

Mr Gagill in Monticello, New York said: Fess up, you stole this from me. I've talked about this in past writings.

They would never treat a customer/client like they treat the interviewer.

Haha..."leigh in potato land" I like...funny...=)

17 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: my husband's tired of hearing about it and doesn't agree that people are sucking now more than at any other time.

I'm sure your husband is a smart man, a good man. (If your wondering how I know, it's because you come across as a smart woman. One who wouldn't stay married to a dummy.)

But, my point about your husband is what I've been saying since I've been unemployed. People who have never been laid off or haven't looked for a job in decades just have no idea how times have changed. They just don't understand what it's like to get a job in 2013. And that has been the most frustrating and humiliating part about being unemployed.

People think it's me. "Oh why hasn't that guy find a job yet." One day your husband will get laid off and he will be astonished how it's a different world when trying to find work then in 1985.

17 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Haha..."leigh in potato land" I like...funny...=)

And I haven't even used my good material yet.

17 months ago

notgonnausemyname in No Where, Idaho said: Curoius if I am now an anomily? I had an interview a few weeks ago, a panel interview, and not only were they aggressive and nasty but they were TEXTING and ungaged at the table. Why waste my time? I knew when I left that interview there was no way I would take the job. Oh let's add the fact that I AM an HR Professional, why treat someone anyone like crap in an interview? The next situation is baffling even to me. I showed up for my scheduled interview, the HR Manager called in sick. She had sent me an email to tell me this, REALLY? You can't call me? So I have tried to reschedule, but she is slow and unresponsive. I am telling you these are the impressions these companies are giving out when they schedule interviews. WHy would good, solid potential employees WASTE their time even working for you? I have never gone through anything like this. I have seen and watched employers treat me, an HR professional, like utter crap.

If your desperate for a job you might just have to forget about the rudeness.

If you have a job already then you can pass on these type of work environments.

The way I pretty much judge if I want to work for a company or not is if the positives outweigh the negatives.

So if the company is 15 minutes from my house, the 401k matches 6 percent, the pay is great, they have medical, vision, dental

AND the only negative is that work life balance is tough. Then I'd take it.

Again Good Luck.

16 months ago

Mr Gagill in Monticello, New York said: But, my point about your husband is what I've been saying since I've been unemployed. People who have never been laid off or haven't looked for a job in decades just have no idea how times have changed. They just don't understand what it's like to get a job in 2013. And that has been the most frustrating and humiliating part about being unemployed.

People think it's me. "Oh why hasn't that guy find a job yet." One day your husband will get laid off and he will be astonished how it's a different world when trying to find work then in 1985.

^ I swear I think I'm down to saying this every other week instead of every day. I'm tired. Now, when he asks me how my job search is going, I say "fine." "Details?" "Just fine. Nothing new to report." "Talk to me." I just don't see the point in talking to someone who doesn't get it. He's just now starting to get it, and that's only because the issues I rant about are starting to be written about and covered by news sources he respects. My husband is slightly older than me, has interviewed hundreds of people, and so what I'm telling him is happening seems especially far-fetched. He has always hired the most qualified person, and I say, "Well, everyone isn't you." He's coming around.

16 months ago

"... older than I." Wow! I'm loosing it.

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: ^ I swear I think I'm down to saying this every other week instead of every day. I'm tired. Now, when he asks me how my job search is going, I say "fine." "Details?" "Just fine. Nothing new to report." "Talk to me." I just don't see the point in talking to someone who doesn't get it. He's just now starting to get it, and that's only because the issues I rant about are starting to be written about and covered by news sources he respects. My husband is slightly older than me, has interviewed hundreds of people, and so what I'm telling him is happening seems especially far-fetched. He has always hired the most qualified person, and I say, "Well, everyone isn't you." He's coming around.

Everybody hires the "most" qualified. However, the rest of us could also use a job - mediocre though we may be.

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

beginagainla in Bakersfield, California said: "... older than I." Wow! I'm loosing it.

Er, I believe that would be "losing it. Loose and lose? I should know. English is my second language.

Lose Loose, they're, their, there, your, you're - all that is tough on you colonists as well I see.

"Merika. been beery good to me. Berry good". Heh!

16 months ago

Lol! Gest testing ya.

Drone Blogger in New York, New York

16 months ago

"Employers hire the most qualified candidate" is the most pervasive myth out there. By the time you get to face to face interview stage, everyone being brought in has pretty similar qualifications. Employers hire on those intangible qualities someone brings to the table, such as inspirational leadership, or being the manager's college buddy.

16 months ago

Love love love the comments, I can not express how ACCURATE they are! Society as a whole has the YOU OWE ME mentality. Let me say this...on a side bar. I called company X to "followup" to see when we could reschedule the interview the HR Manager called in sick for, I had emailed with but had heard nothing; I expected VM, but got her. She was, how should I say this tactfully, RUDE! She was pissed that I called. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I don't expect to ever hear back from them, I know I won't. She had multiple excuses, hot project, boss on skype, overwhelmed. If you are an HR Manager you HAVE to priortize, you have to multi-task. As far as the comments about the rude drivers, rude people ect, well I have a patch on my vest (motorcycle) it says "don't take my act of kindness as a sign of weakness", I do live by that motto, unlike others I run into it just isn't returned.

Thank you all for sharing, it has helped me keep my chin up. You are all appreciated in my little world.

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida

16 months ago

Unless you cross some line (the line is much lower with women and minorities) arrogance and rudeness is totally accepted in the majority of workplaces; in fact, that's how most Mangers, Directors, CEO's got to where they are. As much as Companies may give an impression about Human relationships, "Team Building, etc, they care nothing about them unless it's interfering with the bottom line or creating risk of a lawsuit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida said: Unless you cross some line (the line is much lower with women and minorities) arrogance and rudeness is totally accepted in the majority of workplaces; in fact, that's how most Mangers, Directors, CEO's got to where they are. As much as Companies may give an impression about Human relationships, "Team Building, etc, they care nothing about them unless it's interfering with the bottom line or creating risk of a lawsuit

Team building is horse manure today. If the only name on top of that Performance Review is yours you can call yourself a team or a can of peas for all that it matters.

I worked for one company that didn't even use the term: team. They said it went out with disco.

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Dog_Guy in Miami, Florida said: Unless you cross some line (the line is much lower with women and minorities) arrogance and rudeness is totally accepted in the majority of workplaces; in fact, that's how most Mangers, Directors, CEO's got to where they are. As much as Companies may give an impression about Human relationships, "Team Building, etc, they care nothing about them unless it's interfering with the bottom line or creating risk of a lawsuit

When I worked call center they said, "The customer isn't always right but we always want their money". Heh!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.