3 weeks since Job Interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Watching the days pass me by in Granada Hills, California

47 months ago

Well i've heard stories in which people didn't get called back for a second interview or an offer until weeks to months later so although 3 weeks is a long time with a follow up attempt and no response, I wouldn't disregard it. I would try to call and speak to a person but, I would definitely keep looking and not put my hopes on this one particular job. Please keep us posted and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

w8ing2exhale in Los Angeles, California

47 months ago

You have already followed up ONCE. Now let it go. You don't want to irritate/bug them. I know its hard to wait, but if they really want you, they will contact you. You just have to wait. Move forward and look for other jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Flatulent Elephant in Kent, Washington

47 months ago

In my experience, when a company wants me they call me very shortly after the interview (anywhere from < 24 hrs. to w/in 1 wk. later). More than that & I've never got the job.

However, I do hear that government jobs take their sweet time getting back to applicants, whether or not those peeps get a job offer. So if you applied for a government job I wouldn't necessarily think that it is over yet.

I applied for a County of San Diego job last March, got E-mailed to take a test in May, then in mid-May found out I passed the test & got put on an "eligible for employment" list until October 16th or something. No word since then, but it's obvious they don't even have a job opening right now & were just getting prepared in case there was one within the next 6 mos. Meanwhile I'm not holding my breath & I've applied for TONS of jobs since.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

marion in Ozark, Missouri

47 months ago

I would say that you did not get the job. I would advise only contacting the recruiter once. But, I've never seen a job maarket like the one we're in now. In other words, anything can happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aealvero in Baltimore, Maryland

47 months ago

In response to my post above, I did not get the job. I thought after the interview I had landed the job. I interviewed for almost 3 hours and with several people. Also took a tour of the place and was showed where I would be working. I guess with this economy its really hard to tell now. I am not sure if me relocating whats hindering me. But i've mention that relocation expenses would be paid by myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

47 months ago

You had bad interviewers. That's in really really poor taste for an interviewer to take three hours of your time. Usually, they first show you the desk and give you a tour the day your start. They were bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Yeah..on top of that I paid for my flight out there and this was the final interview I had with them. Also I was surprised because one of the interviewers said I was the type of person they were looking for. But I guess I'll just keep trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mary in Tampa, Florida

47 months ago

When you do your taxes, be sure to deduct your air fare and all other costs for that interview. In job shopping, your costs are tax deductible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Oh wow..thanks for the advice =) Definitely a good thing to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

thapa12009@gmail.com in Arlington, Texas

31 months ago

I have a similar situation right now. I had 3 rounds of interviews with a company and I got a verbal offer, but they said that I had to meet the CEO before I could get the formal offer. Therefore, I had to wait another 2 weeks to meet the CEO. It has been more than 3 weeks since I met the CEO and I haven't heard back anything yet. I followed up once but got no response.
P.S This is an entry level position which means a lot for me as a recent graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

Arlington, maybe send a follow-up email to the HR person or hiring coordinator as well as the CEO expressing your continued interest in accepting the job. There are lots of things in play here: the general way employers are nowadays, budgets and the holiday season, for starters.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

31 months ago

aealvero in Baltimore, Maryland said: Hi..I just wanted to get some feed back from people regarding how long the hiring process usually is. Here is my situation:

I interview for a company July 16th and they told me they would likely have a decision by the 30th. No call yet regarding the decision. I sent a follow up email on 8/4 kindly asking if there is a new update regarding my candidacy. No response back. Should I be worried and just expect that I did not get the job? The job is still posted on their careers page. Should I make a phone call to follow up, or will that make me seem desperate? Please any advice would help. Thanks

Regardless of "the story", give them 30 days, even mark it off on your calendar and if you haven't heard back, move on.

Don't take it personally, just treat this as a business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

monica_guzman1 in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

I need advice!

I applied to a position as a counseling director at a non-profit agency. The 1st and 2nd interview went very well. The Director emailed me saying "the team reallye enjoyed meeting you. Assuming you are still interested in the position, I am writing to request your references. We are still looking to make a decision about the position by early next week"

Well I immediately emailed back with my references. (That was on a Friday morning). By Monday night none of my references had been called so I emailed the Director asking him to confirm that he got my email. On Wednesday he emailed this: "Yes, I got them. Thanks. I'll be in touch soon"

It is now TUESDAY of the following week and I haven't heard anything. This is my dream job. WHAT DO I DO???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

If you're in touch with your references, have them contact you if and when they're called, or you could contact them. I would think the references would have been called by now, as it's a week beyond the point where they indicated they were going to make their decision.

Otherwise, email the Director back to reiterate your interest and ask for a status. I'd contact your references first though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

truelies in Texas

28 months ago

aealvero in Baltimore, Maryland said: Yeah..on top of that I paid for my flight out there and this was the final interview I had with them. Also I was surprised because one of the interviewers said I was the type of person they were looking for. But I guess I'll just keep trying.

I don't think I will pay the flight myself for an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua07 in Philippines

25 months ago

Move on, if you don't get the job just put all your time in finding another job. do not rely that you get that job, if they really like they will not waste you instead after 2-3 days they approach you that you get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.