3rd Interview but Overqualified

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Garica21 in Corpus Christi, Texas

10 months ago

I have a B.S. degree in Chemistry and an M.S. degree in Chemical Engineering with a minor in Chemistry.

I had a 2nd job interview almost 2 weeks ago which lasted 4 hours as a Process Technician. The job requires a 2 year degree. I'm overqualified for that job, but seeing as I have no industrial experience and met and surpassed the qualifications they asked for I went ahead and applied for the position to get my foot in the door. However, at the same time they mentioned they were also interviewing for a job as an Entry Level Process Engineer. I let them know I didn't know they were accepting applications for that job so I didn't apply, but was interested in either position. After my interview on a Wednesday they called me the following Tuesday saying they were going to send me a job offer the next day for the Process Tech position - which they never did. Then on Thursday they called and said they were still working out the details and I should have it by Friday. Come Friday...nothing. They just called today (Monday) and want me to go back in to talk with the Technical Director. The HR administrator said its not an interview, but I'm pretty sure it is. I know he's going to tell me I'm overqualified for the Process Technician job. Can this be a sign that they are considering me for the Process Engineering position as well? What should I expect out of this 3rd interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

10 months ago

Hard to tell, really. Go in with an open mind, and accept any job they offer you. A foot in the door is way better than sitting in front of the computer all day looking for a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Riot in Massachusetts

10 months ago

I would say that you're probably still in the running for something. If they weren't still interested in you, they probably wouldn't have called at all. I would agree with Almost Suicidal in that you should take whatever they offer you and try to work your way up. The only way I would consider not taking the Process Tech job is if you just finished your M.S. in May and this is your first job offer. If so, you may be lowballing yourself, which can negatively affect your career down the road by starting with a decreased salary. (Even then, I would still probably take the Tech job and keep applying for other positions.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

michael in Paris, France

10 months ago

It sounds like they have another candidate they like so they're trying to figure out which position is best for you and for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Garica21 in Houston, Texas

10 months ago

So they called me in to tell me I have the Process Technician job, but they're only planning to keep me there for about 6 months to learn the "Ins and Outs" before they move me up as a Process Engineer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Almost Suicidal in Houston, Texas

10 months ago

Garcia, I am very happy for you. Salud!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unix Brat in Asheville, North Carolina

10 months ago

Way to go!!!! Congrats.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Garica21 in Corpus Christi, Texas

10 months ago

Thank you! Sorry, I misinformed you guys. They're hiring me with the title of Process Engineer, but I will be doing the Process Technician work to formulate a packet of the necessary job duties for the future permanent Process Technician. The process technician job was recently created within the company, so I'm sure they want to make sure everything will run the best to that position's ability. Just shows that a person should never knock a job down just because they are "overqualified".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.