After Job Interview etiquette-

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Monkey-Girl in Silver Spring, Maryland

36 months ago

Hello,
I had a job interview and sent a thank you note to the hiring manager. I have had a few interviews so far and never got a reply back from any of the companies I interviewed for when i sent follow up thank you notes but this guy replied back thanking me for coming for the interview and said he appreciated my follow up email. Now should I email him back? and if yes, to say what? Since I never received any replies from hiring managers, I have no clue what the etiquette is when they do reply, please help! And is it positive when they do reply?Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in San Francisco, California

36 months ago

It's perfectly okay to not reply back. Just take it as a friendly note from their side, IMO. I think it's positive when they reply; I feel that it means that at the very least it means you made a good impression and they liked you enough. However, of course that doesn't mean you're going to get an offer...but it does mean it's a possibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Thanks for your answer. That's what I took it for and I didn't reply back, was just curious about what the proper etiquette was. Thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Will

36 months ago

Well, "proper etiquette" would be sending a physical thank you note that you wrote and sent through the regular mail. An e-mail doesn't carry the same weight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I've seen a lot of debate about this physical notes vs. email notes. People against physical notes said it took too much time to reach hiring managers and sometimes don't even get to the right person, get lost in the mail.... aNd other people say that emails are impersonal. At the end of the day though, how important are these notes to hiring managers

Will

36 months ago

Monkey girl this is very true. Sadly as qualified as I am, I haven't even gotten to the physical interview point yet. It's a tough world out there.

36 months ago

It's a tough market out there. JUst persevere, don't give up, apply to as many jobs as you can every day

Will

36 months ago

Been doin it for 4 straight months. Its hard to stay motivated when your not hearing any feedback whatsoever ya know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Trust me I know what you're talking about. I have been doing it since december 2010. Have been to about 5-6 interviews, no offers, no feedbacks nothing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa H in Alpharetta, Georgia

36 months ago

I know its tough waiting for a response and its tough asking why, sometimes it takes multiple no's to get a yes. Take the multiple interviews as practice for the one job you deserve! Read this article and try to remember to be positive in your interview and sell yourself. There is nothing wrong with being over prepared, treat an interview as a final exam to graduate college! jobmob.co.il/blog/sell-yourself-job-search-success/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

The etiquette all falls on you. There is no etiquette anymore as far as the employer is concerned. You will not hear back from them a good deal of the time after an interview if you were not chosen to fill the position.

Thank you notes sent via email are fine. It's the new normal.

36 months ago

well i haven't heard back from them since( its been about 2 weeks), so I guess once again, I didn't get the job and will receive a denial letter very soon :(

36 months ago

You can't count on receiving notice back as to whether or not you were chosen. You may still hear back from them. You may not. Once you've sent your thank you note, you can only really move forward and put it out of your mind. If it comes through after that point, then it's a bonus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Global Guy in Montclair, New Jersey

36 months ago

Monkey-Girl in Silver Spring, Maryland said: It's a tough market out there. JUst persevere, don't give up, apply to as many jobs as you can every day

I agree. Since I started interviewing last October (when I knew I would be leaving a long term contract at the end of December) I have had responses of some kind from 84 companies which have produced 34 in person interviews (some of which have gone to second level or more. I have never seen this kind of sales resistance. But power ahead, there is no other way. You must maintain a "warrior mentality." The Republican/Wall Street/Ruling class is trying to exterminate us - we must be strong.

35 months ago

I just heard back from the company and this is what they said

"Thank you for your note. We have offered the position to another candidate now but we did think that the interview went very well so I’m going to keep you in mind for other positions that come up."

Same usual message, we really like you but we offered the position to someone else. This is so depressing!!!! I feel like Im never gonna get a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

That's really not all that bad, Maryland. First, you received notice. Second, they indicated the interview went "very well." That doesn't seem like form letter language to me. It seems personalized and specific to you. So you may still have a chance for a gig with this particular employer. I might send follow-up emails every so often if I were you.

I will say that if they sent out that language to everyone they reject that it would be particularly evil, but I'm doubting they do.

Good luck.

anonymous in San Francisco, California

35 months ago

I've actually received the exact same message for a job interview I had. I felt that was the best job interview performance I've ever had (meaning I answered all the questions right, did very well in connecting with the interviewers); it ended with the manager ended up telling me he thought I was a great fit for the company but not for that specific job. It hurt because I felt like I did very well, but it didn't sting as badly as other ones because I had lots of other possibilities available at the time.

What I would do (and what I did in my situation) is to move on and look at other opportunities you have, but look at them as a potential possibility later down the road if you still need a job and are still interested. The note you got is definitely better than just a "we hired someone else" type deal, so it's still possible sometime down the road...just not immediately.

35 months ago

I asked them for some specific feedback as to why I was not chosen and this is what I received today:

"As for feedback, we ended up going with someone who had more years of applicable experience than you currently do. We did think you asked excellent questions and presented very professionally but it was just where we are at in the company right now. Like I said, I’m going to keep you in mind for other roles that open up and feel free to keep in touch."

Oh well, I guess luck plays an important part in getting a job, depending on the pool of applicants, you can have a great interview and someone with more experience will get the job, especially in this job market where a lot of experienced qualified people are available.

Don

35 months ago

Monkey-Girl in Silver Spring, Maryland said: I asked them for some specific feedback as to why I was not chosen and this is what I received today:

"As for feedback, we ended up going with someone who had more years of applicable experience than you currently do. We did think you asked excellent questions and presented very professionally but it was just where we are at in the company right now. Like I said, I’m going to keep you in mind for other roles that open up and feel free to keep in touch."

Oh well, I guess luck plays an important part in getting a job, depending on the pool of applicants, you can have a great interview and someone with more experience will get the job, especially in this job market where a lot of experienced qualified people are available.

Monkey Girl, it seems that was more code talk meaning we hired someone else who was recommended by someone internally. At the end of the day knowing someone on the inside seems to shoot you to the top of hiring lists regardless of other factors.

35 months ago

True. I think knowing someone definitely helps, I know a lot of people who got a job through networking. If you know someone internally who can recommend you for a position, you will more likely get it if you have the basic requirements for the position

dontwanttobea99er in Somerville, Massachusetts

35 months ago

A thank you note has never been the difference between hired and not hired, in my experience. It's not like they're all "well I wasn't going to hire him, but he has such a nice writing style, heck why not."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

dontwanttobear99er, lol. I agree, but if they were hesitating between 2 candidates who had the same experience, it could very well make a difference. btw, i used to live in Somerville, MA, what a nice little town. I miss itttttt!

35 months ago

I think a thank you note back means **** all, but you still have to do it if you want to be considered. Mind you, don't have the expectation to hear back from the prospective employer in any way, shape or form afterward due to the atmosphere and lack of professionalism out there nowadays. You have to play the game to win. Prospective employers don't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dontwanttobea99er in Somerville, Massachusetts

35 months ago

I like it here too Monkey, but I'd like it even better, if I could get a full-time job. I've been rejected so many times for any or no reason, I could wallpaper my bedroom with the form rejection letters. Ah well!

As for thank you notes, some HRs are so boorish these days that sending one may actually HURT you. Boy look at this one, so desperate they're kissing my shoes before I even hire them! No one will ever admit that this happens, but I guarantee you it does. When I was working, the HR at the time said something VERY similar! I believe it was "look at this guy in a suit. who wears a suit to get a retail job?"

35 months ago

I know, it sucks. Hope you get a job soon, good luck on ur search, the Boston area is not that bad though job wise compared to some other cities right now

35 months ago

ok guys, guess what? that company that told me they really liked me but went with someone else just got back to me and said htey are offering me the position because their other candidate backed out.

Don

35 months ago

Congrats Monkey Girl!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Thank you. Don't give up guys! It will happen for you too, just keep on applying. Good luck to everyone

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.