Am I suppose to follow-up?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Jaw5xs in Hyattsville, Maryland

39 months ago

I had a second round interview on Thursday and it went very well. I had four different interviewers but none of them gave me their card or anything like that to follow-up. Am I suppose to send a thank you email or just wait?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

39 months ago

Jaw5xs in Hyattsville, Maryland said: I had a second round interview on Thursday and it went very well. I had four different interviewers but none of them gave me their card or anything like that to follow-up. Am I suppose to send a thank you email or just wait?

Thanks

Bake them a German Chocolate Cake and deliver it in person. lol!

Follow-up is from an old library book. Why do you think that they didn't give you their business card?

Keep applying. Never wait.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jaw5xs in Hyattsville, Maryland

39 months ago

Haha, I was thinking about maybe writing a thank you note to HR. They actually are considering me for two different positions so I don't think the fact that they didn't give me their business cards is a bad thing. I just think that's how they do things. But yeah I'm definitely applying to other jobs too. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else have any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

39 months ago

Maybe a thank you email. Other than that, don't contact them until/unless they contact you. People say that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but fact is if they want you, then they want you already. I've never heard a no turn into a yes because I sent someone a thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need A Job Yesterday in Vancouver, Washington

39 months ago

I'd wait until they hired me then I'd shower them with thank you notes and flowers and donuts! =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

Jaw5xs in Hyattsville, Maryland said: I had a second round interview on Thursday and it went very well. I had four different interviewers but none of them gave me their card or anything like that to follow-up. Am I suppose to send a thank you email or just wait?

You should always follow up on interviews. A thank you note (not a letter) is the least you can do. It's especially important now because so few people actually care enough to be courteous, and you are not interviewing with companies, you are interviewing with people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

Jaw5xs in Hyattsville, Maryland said: Haha, I was thinking about maybe writing a thank you note to HR. They actually are considering me for two different positions so I don't think the fact that they didn't give me their business cards is a bad thing. I just think that's how they do things. But yeah I'm definitely applying to other jobs too. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Two other reasons they didn't give you their cards; not every company gets business cards for everyone anymore, and it's not something people think about as much as they used to.

Definitely send a thank you card to HR; they're often overlooked in the process, and they will remember someone who goes out of their way to extend what used to be common courtesy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jaw5xs in Hyattsville, Maryland

39 months ago

I took your advice. I figured out that the emails are just "first name.last name@..." so I sent thank you emails to the interviewers. I also typed up a thank you letter on a notecard, signed it and mailed it to HR. I have another interview with the same company on Tuesday for a different position but in the same department so I think the card should get there before HR has to make a decision. Thanks everyone for the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

Jaw5xs in Hyattsville, Maryland said: I have another interview with the same company on Tuesday.

Good luck, I hope you get one of positions there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

39 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said:
Definitely send a thank you card to HR; they're often overlooked in the process, and they will remember someone who goes out of their way to extend what used to be common courtesy.

You can send a Thank You card if you want but if you think this has any bearing on a hiring decision, you are reading an old library book. That was your parent's job market.

You should also buy them by the pallet since you will be sending a lot of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

39 months ago

I've always thought that thank you letters were always appropriate and that they should be letters rather than emails and should be on nice paper rather than notecards. Am I antiquated?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

39 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: I've always thought that thank you letters were always appropriate and that they should be letters rather than emails and should be on nice paper rather than notecards. Am I antiquated?

Thank You cards work only if you just interviewed with your mother!

You will always read about this in interview books but the reality today is that most candidates don't bother with this anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jaw5xs in Hyattsville, Maryland

39 months ago

jenab in Austin, Texas said: Good luck, I hope you get one of positions there.

Thanks. Me too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

Jeff in Denver, Colorado said: I've always thought that thank you letters were always appropriate and that they should be letters rather than emails and should be on nice paper rather than notecards. Am I antiquated?

Not antiquated, just a little bit... vintage :D

Letters tend to be self-serving in the hiring process, and these days no one wants to read multiple paragraphs unless is business critical anyways. Plus the fact that cards stand out against the typical snail mail at businesses.

I have a small stockpile of various cards for various occasions, including blank ones, which work great as thank you cards. Since I have them on hand I get them out quickly and I've had people thank me for them. It's such a small thing to do but it helps you stand out from the crowd. And when you make it as far as interviews it usually means it's going to be the little things that make the difference.

Not to mention these days making the effort to extend a little courtesy is increasingly uncommon and appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

39 months ago

Unless your HR rep is under 30, in which case you just look desperate to them. That whole generation was brought up with no respect for class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

39 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: Unless your HR rep is under 30, in which case you just look desperate to them. That whole generation was brought up with no respect for class.

I don't know that I've ever applied for a job where anyone from HR played a major role in the decision. Sometimes HR will ask standard questions so that the hiring team can narrow down the list without having to spend time with each candidate, but that's about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

39 months ago

I'd never send a card. When has that ever been protocol?

They call it a thank you note, but really it's just a short letter. Yes, a letter. And you can send it snail mail or by email. This card stuff is ridiculous.

Really, everything is electronic today. If you have their email, then you just email them.

I really love the captcha on here. It takes 10 tries to post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Need A Job Yesterday in Vancouver, Washington

39 months ago

I'd like to hear (straight from the horse's mouth) that a thank you note or e-mail helps in getting a job - an HR person - someone responsible for hiring, then I'd believe it's worth my time. Sure, it's good manners, but I just think it's a waste of time. I read this all over - in books and online - to send a thank you note. Does it truly help?? Do they push your application forward a notch or two? When did this all start?? When I was starting my career 30 years ago, I applied for, interviewed, and was hired at five different companies. All gotten without sending a TY note. I'm currently looking for work and I caved and sent 2 TY notes to 2 companies after interviewing. It didn't do dookie. For those that believe this is good, then good for you. I just don't. A firm handshake, a smile, and a verbal 'thank you' after the interview is perfect if you ask me. If they like you, they'll hire you. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

39 months ago

Need A Job Yesterday in Vancouver, Washington said: When I was starting my career 30 years ago, I applied for, interviewed, and was hired at five different companies. All gotten without sending a TY note. I'm currently looking for work and I caved and sent 2 TY notes to 2 companies after interviewing. It didn't do dookie. A firm handshake, a smile, and a verbal 'thank you' after the interview is perfect if you ask me. If they like you, they'll hire you. :)

30 years ago, a thank you card might have been required - along with the 32lb, ivory colored resume paper with matching envelopes.

Today, you can still them but don't think that this has any bearing on a hiring decision. That is just nonsense today!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

39 months ago

lol I still have watermarked paper for sending resumes. I am *not* that old! And...nor have I sent any hard copy resumes in the last decade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

39 months ago

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts said: lol I still have watermarked paper for sending resumes. I am *not* that old! And...nor have I sent any hard copy resumes in the last decade.

I think you can safely throw out the watermarked resume paper along with the Thank You cards.

Like I always say jokingly, if you want to follow up, the Hell with the emails and the voicemails. If you want to reiterate a few key points and find out the status, bake them a German Chocolate Cake and deliver it in person. You do want to be remembered don't you? Heh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Parafreegal in Oak Lawn, Illinois

39 months ago

Need A Job Yesterday in Vancouver, Washington said: I'd like to hear (straight from the horse's mouth) that a thank you note or e-mail helps in getting a job - an HR person - someone responsible for hiring, then I'd believe it's worth my time. Sure, it's good manners, but I just think it's a waste of time. I read this all over - in books and online - to send a thank you note. Does it truly help?? Do they push your application forward a notch or two? When did this all start?? When I was starting my career 30 years ago, I applied for, interviewed, and was hired at five different companies. All gotten without sending a TY note. I'm currently looking for work and I caved and sent 2 TY notes to 2 companies after interviewing. It didn't do dookie. For those that believe this is good, then good for you. I just don't. A firm handshake, a smile, and a verbal 'thank you' after the interview is perfect if you ask me. If they like you, they'll hire you. :)

Bingo.

And look at the negative voting trolls. Nice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Denver, Colorado

39 months ago

Need A Job Yesterday in Vancouver, Washington said: I'd like to hear (straight from the horse's mouth) that a thank you note or e-mail helps in getting a job - an HR person - someone responsible for hiring, then I'd believe it's worth my time. Sure, it's good manners, but I just think it's a waste of time. I read this all over - in books and online - to send a thank you note. Does it truly help?? Do they push your application forward a notch or two? When did this all start?? When I was starting my career 30 years ago, I applied for, interviewed, and was hired at five different companies. All gotten without sending a TY note. I'm currently looking for work and I caved and sent 2 TY notes to 2 companies after interviewing. It didn't do dookie. For those that believe this is good, then good for you. I just don't. A firm handshake, a smile, and a verbal 'thank you' after the interview is perfect if you ask me. If they like you, they'll hire you. :)

If it doesn't help, well, stamps aren't expensive so I won't have wasted much. Rather safe than sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bean counter in San Jose, California

39 months ago

My brother worked for ebay, yahoo, linkedin.... he never sent a thank-you note!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jaw5xs in Laurel, Maryland

39 months ago

Hey so just wanted to let everyone know that I did follow-up with thank you emails. I didn't end up getting any responses but got a call today that I got the job! Pretty happy. Thanks for all the help, and other comments lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

Jaw5xs in Laurel, Maryland said: Hey so just wanted to let everyone know that I did follow-up with thank you emails. I didn't end up getting any responses but got a call today that I got the job! Pretty happy. Thanks for all the help, and other comments lol.

Fantastic, Jaw5xs! Congratulations!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Hotdiggity in Ajax, Ontario

39 months ago

Yes, congratulations Jaw5xs !!

And no German Chocolate Cakes were sacrificed unnecessarily.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Need A Job Yesterday in Vancouver, Washington

39 months ago

Congratulations! =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.