Application Status

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

CassM in Redding, California

36 months ago

Hello, question for anyone who's got advice on the matter:

I submitted an application, along with my resume a week ago(Weds.). Called two days ago, this past Monday, to hopefully speak with the hiring manager, and instead received voicemail. I left a message stating that I was checking on the status of my application. I have yet to hear back. When is it appropriate to call again? Or should I try to stop by in person, and when?

Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don

36 months ago

You should have waited a bit longer to initiate the phone call, there is a fine line between being persistent and being a pest. Chances are if you applied Wednesday and called Monday he/she probably hasn't even gotten a chance to look at your application yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hello in Mountain View, California

36 months ago

I actually agree with Don, but I also think the original post lacks a few key pieces of information, specifically what type of position and company this is.

Cass, moving forward, I would give the hiring manager 1 1/2 - 2 weeks minimum before "following up" for Don's reason: they probably haven't had time to look at your application. Think about it. You applied on Wednesday. It went into a pile with other resumes. Depending on the size of the company and how urgent they are for new staff, they may look through the new applications once a week, once every other week. Thurs - Fri - MONDAY. You only called 3 business days later.

I wonder if this is a customer service position since you mention "stopping in", but I would think that even if so, Fri-Sat-Sun would be their busier days and no one would have time to look at your resume. (Note: If it is not a restaurant/retail store, I would advice against stopping in ever, and if you do stop in, I would do so while dining/shopping, then mention, "Hey, I applied her a couple weeks ago and it seems like a great place to work. I was wondering if you are still hiring" very casually).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Jobless in Elmira, New York

36 months ago

The other commentators have made valid points Cass. You did rush it a little and judging by your problem here you are obviously young and just out of either high school or college. If not then you are in deeper sh t than it appears! Be patient and wait another week and in the mean time apply online or in person to other places. I talked to a young lady two weeks ago here in person at this same labor/job search office I am at now and she was looking for a certain job that she went to college for and I recieved a call on my cell phone from a "Dandy Mini Mart" represenative about a job interview but the location was too far away for me to travel to so I declined it and later on I called them back to ask for directions to give to "Tanda" the young lady I had spoken to here at the labor office so maybe she could get the job. I have not seen her since that day two weeks ago. My point is take a job like that one until something better comes along if it comes to that. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.