Background check questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Jessie in Florence, Kentucky

15 months ago

Alright, so I applied to be a waitress at the local Steak n Shake as my first job. Within a couple days, I got a call and they wanted to interview me that afternoon. The interview went well, and they said after they did a background check we would have a second interview.

What I'm wondering is... Will a company only pay for a background check if they're really interested in hiring? Also, is it normal for a background check to take about two weeks to come back? (I called today and they said it should be back by Monday, but it was supposed to be in two days ago, so I'm not sure.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Completely Broke and Broken in Cleveland, Ohio

15 months ago

I've heard instances of background checks taking as long as 4 weeks. Further, I wouldn't see a company wasting too much money on background checks without a good reason- namely, they're probably interested in hiring you,especially, when there might be 200-300 candidates applying for each job opening.

Bluetea in Texas

15 months ago

Jessie in Florence, Kentucky said: Alright, so I applied to be a waitress at the local Steak n Shake as my first job. Within a couple days, I got a call and they wanted to interview me that afternoon. The interview went well, and they said after they did a background check we would have a second interview.

What I'm wondering is... Will a company only pay for a background check if they're really interested in hiring? Also, is it normal for a background check to take about two weeks to come back? (I called today and they said it should be back by Monday, but it was supposed to be in two days ago, so I'm not sure.)

Few companies will spend money on a background check if there isn't some real interest.

Background checks can take anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.