Car Dealership Third Interview..?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

nervouschick in Bedfordshire, United Kingdom

18 months ago

Hey,

I had an assessment centre with Audi on Weds 30/01 which was pretty intense including psychometric tests, group discussion, written test and role play. I survived the cuts made throughout the day. The guy (who would be my manager) approached me before I left asking if I was free that day to interview, if I'd passed of course. I got a call a few hours later to say I had passed and he wanted to meet me at 7:45am the next morning at the dealership. I went in and it was quite relaxed and informal. An overview of the job and a bit about me/what I'm doing now. He said he was very pleased with me on the assessment day and that I'd actually got 15/15 in the roleplay.

I found out this morning that they would like to arrange a second (third including the assessment centre) interview, but this time with the Head of Business.

I've only ever sat 2 interviews for a job so I am a little nervous/unsure with what to expect. I like to prepare for my interviews as I find nerves always get the better of me so it's nice to have things written down to glance at should I need to.

Anyone able to offer any guidance? I really want this position so don't want to fall at the (hopefully) last hurdle!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Anyone? Any information would be greatly appreciated! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

18 months ago

What kind of job? Whatever it is, the testing for it sounds quite intensive.

The third interview may be to check fit. Therefore, probably the best general advice is to know the Audi brand and its models together with the dealership's history and philosophy inside and out. Therefore be especially sure your answers comport with the dealership's philosophy for sales and customer service. Only a guess, but the Head of Business may be checking your knowledge of various car financing schemes.

Good luck with your interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Thanks! It's for the position of 'Service Advisor' :)

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

18 months ago

In that case, you MUST prove strong customer service skills, especially considering that Audi is an upscale brand. You will be dealing with well-to-do clients, many of whom have to be "handled." You have to be able to figure out what's wrong when they say, e.g., "a noise is coming from the left wheel," which could be a bearing, disc pad, rotor or whatever.

You also must demonstrate some measure of automotive knowledge. You also must demonstrate your ability to communicate with service technicians and probably salespeople, too.

As always, giving examples of a problem, how you analyzed the problem, how you addressed and solved the problem, and the outcome will help make your case.

Once again, good luck with your interview.

18 months ago

That's excellent! Thank you so much :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike1233 in Chicago

18 months ago

Service advisor at a car dealer is a highly stressful job. You are the one that gets to break the news to them that their 2010 Audi S6 is out of warranty by a few miles and they have to pay 6500 pounds for a new transmission. And thats customer #1 of the day, you still have 150 more to deal with.

The testing is for this reason, good luck. You also NEED to not only know cars inside and out, you also have to know how to explain problems to customers in laymans terms as well.

Not "Your fuel injector is broke, you owe us 3000"

You have to explain it nicely, and in a way they can understand. And deal with their explosions when you ring up the bill. Thats a service advisor in a nutshell - warranty battles too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

18 months ago

I put in for a Service Advisor position and was called. I never returned the call. The more I thought about it I realized I don't know anything bout cars.

But, I am thinking about car sales. Just have to find something close to home and a dealer that is reputable.

Saw ad yesterday for internet sales at a BMW dealer. Again, just too far away - 64 miles.

18 months ago

Hey. Thank you for your useful responses!

It's actually more on the job training. I don't have any dealership experience but tons of customer service! They must think I can do it if they're inviting me back a third time!

Maybe it's different here in the UK!

Good luck with the car sales venture! I am defo not a sales person lol! :)

Mike1233 in Chicago

18 months ago

Joe - Car sales isn't a bad gig as a short term stay (I've done it). Sales experience is never a bad thing to have and you'll be getting the best of it selling cars. BMW wont hire a newb though, they and other premium brands want 5 years experience minimum (usually).

They like to hire guys that have been in the business for years and have tons of clientele in their Rolodex. "Hey I am selling Beamers now, come test drive the new 3-series, I'll give you a great trade-in price on the Honda I sold you 2 years ago". Those guys dont have to rely on showroom traffic, and do 5-6 deals a month just on those alone. They do another 7-8 from the showroom and will make 200K+ a year. Top guy at the store I worked at was making 350K and had to hire a personal assistant to help process all the deals. Doesn't happen overnight though.

On the flip side, you'll be treated like a rented mule by the sales manager and the hours are long. You'd have no problem pulling down 60K your first year but it takes drive. Getting back to people, juggling customers, calling people 30 days after a sale to check up on things, some self marketing and most importantly..learning the ropes. Its not a sales CLERK job, you have to SELL those cars, to people that think it costs too much, they dont need it, may not like the color and a million other things. Plus the dealer down the street trying to sell against you.

Its fierce, but better than sitting around unemployed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Devilmaycry in Halifax, United Kingdom

12 months ago

Hi nervous chick can you let me know what topic did you have for group discussion and also what did you need to do for the roleplay? Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.