Date changes for job interviews

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Fi in Bath, United Kingdom

10 months ago

Just recently got offered a job interview on a date I can't attend.
The role is for an events assistant for a job in Glasgow and I live in Bristol.
I cant make the interview as I am working in my current job on an event in London. Given the nature of my work and the company I applied to I would think they would understand that this can not be changed. They scheduled an interview for next Wednesday at 5pm, which they said would be a 10-15 minute chat to sell myself. I sent an extremely polite email to them saying I was delighted to be selected for first stage interviews, but I couldn't make it to Glasgow for that date and time due to my current work commitment and also reiterated that I am applying form a different part of the UK. I asked if the first stage could be held via Skype or phone and if so I could make the time and date arranged as my work event finished at 4pm and also stated I would of course be happy to travel to Glasgow for 2nd stage should I be successful. They have responded now saying no and my application will not be taken further! I am quite shocked at this and given that they only gave 3 working days notice of the interview time and date I think this is a bit unreasonable - I am unsure how to respond??? Is there anything I can do? I really can't get out of being in London at the time they scheduled, but think its unfair to be penalised for this - or should I assume a company that recruits in this way may not be all that?? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Fi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado

10 months ago

You did everything reasonably possible to make yourself available.

Don't forget, interview processes provide telltale glimpses into an employer's culture. You are interviewing the employer just as much as it is interviewing you. Therefore, if the employer is starting out by trying to strongarm you into an interview date and location you couldn't possibly attend, just consider how the it would treat you OTJ.

Don't worry about it. Good luck with your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Also consider that they want you to travel a distance just for a twenty minute interview?? Thanks, but no thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Also consider that they want you to travel a distance just for a fifteen minute interview?? Thanks, but no thanks.
(Corrected)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.