Didn't get asked about current salary?!?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Nap5023 in Winchester, Massachusetts

13 months ago

Hey everyone, so all the interviews that I've been on I've been asked about my current salary and salary expectations in the first interview. Seems like a pretty standard procedure. However, I went for an interview with a marketing firm and it went great, but they didn't ask me about salary requirements. The next day I get an email for an invitation for a second interview the next week. I went on my second interview this past Monday (4 days ago). Again, they didn't ask me for salary requirements but they did ask for references. Overall, it the interview went fantastic. I was told they were going to get together and talk about it and I would probably have to do a phone interview with the owner. I obviously sent thank yous a few hours after the interview and I didn't get anything in reply (I.e. nice to meet you, etc). I sent a follow up email yesterday afternoon saying I was still very interested I the position and thanking them for considering me. I didn't hear anything back. They said they want the position to start in 3 weeks and asked about my availability. I said I'd like to give a 2 week notice and they said no problem well make sure we give you enough time. Everything seemed like it was going great, except they never asked me what I currently make or what I expect to make. Is this a bad sign?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado

13 months ago

Traditionally, employers would hold off discussing pay requirements until later in the hiring process. It was considered a good sign when employers initiated those discussions. These days employers ask about pay early in the process. Obviously they are looking more at how little they can pay as opposed to what abilities candidates bring to the table. So, in your case, not being asked about pay yet may not necessarily be a bad sign.

In any case, everything is only talk until you report on the agreed-upon date, fill out W-4 and I-9 paperwork, are shown your desk, handed a stack of work, and actually receive your first paycheck. Keep looking in the meantime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado said: Traditionally, employers would hold off discussing pay requirements until later in the hiring process.

Ancient History now. Companies want to know your price tag up front now before they take the next step.

Online apps are sophisticated enough not only to compare your salary requirements to their existing pay grades but to the rest of the applicant pool itself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado said: In any case, everything is only talk until you report on the agreed-upon date, fill out W-4 and I-9 paperwork, are shown your desk, handed a stack of work, and actually receive your first paycheck. Keep looking in the meantime.

Couldn't agree more. In lieu of your first paycheck, you got nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

nap5023 in Winchester, Massachusetts

13 months ago

I should have been clearer. I havent gotten an offer or anything. I went through 2 interviews, both went great. They took references too. I guess I'm just confused as to why they didn't ask me about my salary expectations. Its been 4 days since my second interview and I have yet to hear anything. It took them 1 day to invite me back after the first interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

13 months ago

nap5023 in Winchester, Massachusetts said: I should have been clearer. I havent gotten an offer or anything. I went through 2 interviews, both went great. They took references too. I guess I'm just confused as to why they didn't ask me about my salary expectations. Its been 4 days since my second interview and I have yet to hear anything. It took them 1 day to invite me back after the first interview.

Personally, I have never heard of this. I wouldn't stop applying for other jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado

13 months ago

nap5023 in Winchester, Massachusetts said: I should have been clearer. I havent gotten an offer or anything. I went through 2 interviews, both went great. They took references too. I guess I'm just confused as to why they didn't ask me about my salary expectations. Its been 4 days since my second interview and I have yet to hear anything. It took them 1 day to invite me back after the first interview.
I would say they're simply grinding through the hiring process. Four working days after an interview is nothing. I would not follow up. I would move on after seven to ten working days have passed without further word from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nap5023 in Winchester, Massachusetts

13 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado said: I would say they're simply grinding through the hiring process. Four working days after an interview is nothing. I would not follow up. I would move on after seven to ten working days have passed without further word from them.

Would you say it's normal after the second interview though? Usually it's gets pretty serious and you hear something sooner rather than later after that? Right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado

13 months ago

My experience always was I would hear within three days max if I got the job.

However, employers now work slowly. You also don't know the employer's hiring process. Maybe it is waiting for your reference checks to come back before it goes forward - in other words, what is the point of discussing pay and your reference checks bomb.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nap5023 in Winchester, Massachusetts

13 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado said: My experience always was I would hear within three days max if I got the job.

However, employers now work slowly. You also don't know the employer's hiring process. Maybe it is waiting for your reference checks to come back before it goes forward - in other words, what is the point of discussing pay and your reference checks bomb.

True. However, I know my reference (former boss) personally. I contacted her and gave her a heads up. She would have told me if they called her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado

13 months ago

Well, has she given you the heads-up?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nap5023 in Winchester, Massachusetts

13 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado said: Well, has she given you the heads-up?

Nope :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Displaced Legal Professional in Arvada, Colorado

13 months ago

IMO all you can do now is wait it out. Do not call or e-mail them. Keep looking. After seven to ten working days pass - fifteen max - move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.