Does this mean I got the job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

kmwheeler21 in Forest City, North Carolina

56 months ago

I interviewed for a position at the end of February. The interview went really well and they said they had a good feeling about me. The director asked if I could start on March 22. I said I could and she said that was great. She said to give her a few days to contact my references and that she would get in touch with me. I sent her an e-mail the following week thanking her for the interview and expressing my interest in the position. She sent me an e-mail a week after the interview and thanked me for my patience- she said that she is waiting on approval from her District VP and that in big corporations, the hiring process takes time. A few days later, she asked me for a copy of my college transcripts to send to payroll. Then a few days ago, I asked if Payroll got my transcripts (I wasn't sure if the fax went through). She said they did and she is still waiting on approval from the District VP. She asked me if I could still come in on March 22 and told me we could start the "process", which she said was a background check, FBI check, and then she said we could go ahead and start my training. I understand she can't legally offer me the job until my background investigations clear, but this job is going to be a big move for me- to another state. I am very excited about this opportunity, but I don't know what to expect. I want to ask her if the training is just for that one day or if she expects for that to be my start date. I need to know whether to get a hotel room or to go ahead and get an apartment. Any ideas of how I can ask her this gracefully?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Are You Serious in Denver, Colorado

56 months ago

kmwheeler21 in Forest City, North Carolina said: I interviewed for a position at the end of February. The interview went really well and they said they had a good feeling about me. The director asked if I could start on March 22. I said I could and she said that was great. She said to give her a few days to contact my references and that she would get in touch with me. I sent her an e-mail the following week thanking her for the interview and expressing my interest in the position. She sent me an e-mail a week after the interview and thanked me for my patience- she said that she is waiting on approval from her District VP and that in big corporations, the hiring process takes time. A few days later, she asked me for a copy of my college transcripts to send to payroll. Then a few days ago, I asked if Payroll got my transcripts (I wasn't sure if the fax went through). She said they did and she is still waiting on approval from the District VP. She asked me if I could still come in on March 22 and told me we could start the "process", which she said was a background check, FBI check, and then she said we could go ahead and start my training. I understand she can't legally offer me the job until my background investigations clear, but this job is going to be a big move for me- to another state. I am very excited about this opportunity, but I don't know what to expect. I want to ask her if the training is just for that one day or if she expects for that to be my start date. I need to know whether to get a hotel room or to go ahead and get an apartment. Any ideas of how I can ask her this gracefully?

Speaking of background checks, do you even think employers should be judging job applicants on their credit score anymore given recent events? I know a few states are trying to pass bills banning employers from using a credit score as an excuse not to hire an otherwise quality, very employable, employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Erin Myers in Reseda, California

55 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: One more thought for you. The director might offer you the job. Ask her to send the offer to you in writing. Although you would accept the offer verbally, accept it in writing as well. That way you will have documented both offer and acceptance, just in case something goes awry.

I'm in a similiar situation. No move, but I am going thru the Criminal/Drug/Driving/Credit "Checks" in order to finalize an Offer. The Director of Ops called me yesterday and said that they were "interested", and enthusiastically gushed "So am I, thank you, etc." he (Director) also said on the phone (and I know this was to protect him/the Company legally: "I know you're excited, but we're not finalized yet, you need to come in tomorrow to fill out Paperwork").

For me, this is a "case" of The Wait Game. I HAVE continued to Job Search, albeit my Credit, Background etc. are all "clear" because you never know what's going on in the 11th hour, metaphorically....

For YOU, because it involves a Move, you *should* start checking out the Rental market in the New Area, but yes, "legally" she can't tell you 'Oh, just go ahead and get that Apartment'...because should you fail, then she has given you some sort of Offer and you might be able to Sue.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmwheeler21 in Forest City, North Carolina

55 months ago

Thanks to everyone who gave me some advice. Well, I came down here on March 22 and she let me know what they are offering to pay me. Not the best salary for a college grad, but it's a job! She said she is excited about me joining their team- yet, no official offer. I understand she cant legally say anything until my background checks come through clean. Had to sign a bunch of forms, get a physical, get fingerprints done, and now I'm just playing the waiting game in regards to her getting my background check results. Did I mention I had to pay $200 out of pocket for all of that? (I can file for reimbursement on my taxes next year). I've never even had a traffic ticket, so I'm hoping the checks come through fast. She mentioned she would like me to start this coming Monday.. yet once again no official offer! I am getting antsy.. I am in a hotel now but have been looking at apartments. The one that I am looking at asked to have an employment verification letter in order to apply. I asked my potential boss if there was anyway to get that to them and she said she could not give it to them until I'm officially on payroll (which is understandable). I just would like to know what to do as far as getting another week of a hotel room or going ahead and getting an apartment.

And aa far as employers including credit checks in a background check- I do not think they should be able to do that. As careful as I am with my money, I have student loans which I had to defer and some that I am behind on. It's hard to pay for them when I can't get a job with my degree! Also, I have a good friend who was offered a job and went to work the first day and they told him he was no longer able to be employed because of his credit score. He is a good man, he just had a few problems paying bills because his ex-wife opened a few accounts in their name and maxed out all the cards. I think in this day and age, it would be unfair for a place to not hire someone because of their credit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.