Don't have any good references... what to do??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Mariah in San Francisco, California

52 months ago

Let's just say that my past employment history hasn't been stellar. Each one of my previous positions have lasted under 2 years, and were mostly let go due to performance issues.

I am now interview for a new position, but don't know how to resolve the reference issue. Any advice would be awesome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mariah in San Francisco, California

52 months ago

sandra in San Francisco, California said: Do you have friends from companies you've worked for that would speak as a reference for you?

I don't know what industry you are in but what I've found and colleagues & friends atest is 2 years in high tech is normal track record.

Employers are extremely gun shy, picky and have negative listening skills in this tough market. Paint yourself in a very postive light.

Yes I have a few coworkers who can vouch for me. The problem is many times they will ask for supervisor or manager references, and that is when I'm in trouble!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

If you deal with clients or customers, you can use them for a reference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Vestal, New York

41 months ago

Focus on your duties at your last job. Say very positive things about your previous employers. Start doing consulting work or even pro bono work to develop good references.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

abs1 in Sheffield, United Kingdom

26 months ago

I was at university but did not work to my full potential and did not complete my course. I am now applying to a different university to study the same course. What can I do as I cannot think of anyone who is likely to give me a very good reference.
Please can you give me advice. Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

abs1 in Sheffield, United Kingdom said: I was at university but did not work to my full potential and did not complete my course. I am now applying to a different university to study the same course. What can I do as I cannot think of anyone who is likely to give me a very good reference.
Please can you give me advice. Thank you

Bribe people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mikey in Brooklyn, New York

22 months ago

Use friends, family friends, ex-co-workers. If they want a supervisor use an assistant manager that liked you. Not easy out there now with this ridiculous, absurd economy. Thanks, Wall Street! A-holes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.