First round of interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

tamilboy in Midvale, Utah

16 months ago

An internal recruiter from a very cool,one of the top 10 IT company called me for an opening and said she usually goes through a questioner and asked a bunch of about me questions. It was very smooth i could not sense anything bad.

At the end of the questioner she said she will pass the answers/info to the hiring manager and get back to me within a week.

what does this mean ? is this an usual process ?

this is my dream job and cannot sleep thinking about this lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

16 months ago

You never know what is really means.

But, for me every time a recruiter ended the phone call with, "I'll pass this information on to the Hiring Manager" I never heard back. I remember those exact words.

But you just never really know.

Call the recruiter back after 2 or 3 days and ask her what the Hiring Manager thought.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

16 months ago

Don't take any of it seriously. It's SOP - even her little speech about passing the answers on to the hiring manager and she getting back with you in a week.

I remember one surprise phoner I had with a bank recruiter. I did not expect her call, but she started in with obvious prepared questions. She then said she'd pass on my responses to the hiring manager. A few days later I received a "we've decided not to fill the position" e-mail.

Do NOT call the recruiters in two or three days. If you get through to her at all, she will repeat what she said about getting back with you in a week. You may also annoy the recruiter and/or will impress her as being overanxious. Give her the week. In the meantime, keep looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

16 months ago

The reason why they give the line about passing your answers onto the Senior Hiring Manager is because it takes the pressure off them. And, they are not the bad guys if you don't get a second interview the mysterious made up fictional character the Senior Hiring Manager is the bad guy.

I don't think you got the 2nd interview but you never know.

This is just another reason why recruiters are worst than use car salesmen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tamilboy in Midvale, Utah

16 months ago

Thanks for the inputs.. it is weird coz its a technical position & all the questions she had was just general about experience and stuff.

Cannot understand the rationale behind her rejecting me :) assuming she is not technical and i am not getting the second round

will wait, probably email her next week and update here

Thanks

16 months ago

either way lets us know.

I do wish you the Best.

16 months ago

And also, don't get down on yourself. Everyone goes thru the same baloney. Like I said you never know, maybe this recruiter is on the up and up.

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

tamilboy in Midvale, Utah said: An internal recruiter from a very cool,one of the top 10 IT company called me for an opening and said she usually goes through a questioner and asked a bunch of about me questions. It was very smooth i could not sense anything bad.

At the end of the questioner she said she will pass the answers/info to the hiring manager and get back to me within a week.

what does this mean ? is this an usual process ?

this is my dream job and cannot sleep thinking about this lol

It means nothing. Keep looking, keep applying.

Still hopeful in Santa Clara, California

16 months ago

Recruiter normally have that as their process because they need those information before passing your resume to their client. If their client want to interview you then you will hear from them again. It happened to me last week. I had an interview from the client but I am just 70% fit from what they are looking for ;(

tamilboy in West Jordan, Utah

16 months ago

i never got a response to my email i made one follow up and thats it :(

Do you think i should follow up again ? or let it go ?

Thanks
Vinnan

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

tamilboy in West Jordan, Utah said: i never got a response to my email i made one follow up and thats it :(

Do you think i should follow up again ? or let it go ?

Thanks
Vinnan

Let it go. Move on.

Calfornian in Hayward, California

16 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: The reason why they give the line about passing your answers onto the Senior Hiring Manager is because it takes the pressure off them.

Your answer made me think of the car salesman who has to run it by his manager. He's in the room, the manager is setting on the elevated desk (do they still have those), and they're talking about everything but your deal, but looking very earnest while doing so.

Joe Gagill in Walden, New York

16 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Your answer made me think of the car salesman who has to run it by his manager. He's in the room, the manager is setting on the elevated desk (do they still have those), and they're talking about everything but your deal, but looking very earnest while doing so.

were you a car salesman?

I'm starting to seriously think about that career. What can you tell me about this industry?

16 months ago

tamilboy in West Jordan, Utah said: i never got a response to my email i made one follow up and thats it :(

Do you think i should follow up again ?

Naaaah. Don't bother. Move on.

John in Catonsville, Maryland

16 months ago

Joe Gagill in Walden, New York said: were you a car salesman?

I'm starting to seriously think about that career. What can you tell me about this industry?

I saw an ad on CL today for a car salesman. They have "hopes" that one could sell 5-10 cars a Week via ebay. The pay was $50 and/ or 20% of the profit per car. The litany of requirements seemed a bit much as well.

I do not know much about car sales, is it normal for one person to sell a car a day?

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

Calfornian in Hayward, California said: Your answer made me think of the car salesman who has to run it by his manager. He's in the room, the manager is setting on the elevated desk (do they still have those), and they're talking about everything but your deal, but looking very earnest while doing so.

We have something simiilar for "price shoppers". We call it the "Ask the Boss" close.

"So that price is real close to our cost. I don't have the authority to make that kind of deal but I can ask my boss. Thing is, he is going to ask me if you are willing to buy today? So are you or am I wasting his time?

Customer says yes. Salesman goes into boss's office and they smoke a cigarette together.

16 months ago

They don't make much profit on the actual selling of the cars. The money is in you coming in to get your car service AND the number 1 money maker is in the financing/leasing.

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

16 months ago

Sure they do. To the customer, a few hundred or maybe 1000 dollars isn't going to be a whole lot when it comes down to payments. Talking 10-15 bucks per month. To the salesperson, those 100s of dollars mean a lot to his commission. That's how they sell you the car.

They don't sell cars. Cars sell themselves. These idiots are just the middlemen who BS you. It's impossible to walk out of a deal thinking you got a steal because the dealer is always making money, despite always trying to "show [you] the invoice" indicating they're selling below invoice. Give me a break.

You have to sit with them for 2-3 hours in order to get anywhere close to a deal. You have to be an ass to them - just like they're being an ass to you. :D

16 months ago

Parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois said: It's impossible to walk out of a deal thinking you got a steal because the dealer is always making money, despite always trying to "show [you] the invoice" indicating they're selling below invoice.
Also consider there are two sets of invoices - the real invoices, and the ones they show you. I believe "real" invoices can be found online.

Yeah, I love how floor salesmen always has to go "ask the boss." I know of one salesman of higher-end cars. He had legions of repeat customers and actually catered to a specific customer base. He had been at his dealership for many years - yet he still had to "ask the boss" - said "boss" being at least a generation younger than him.

Finally, forget the strategy of walking out because now they let you walk out.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.