Flaky HR Screener

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

reddaj in Somerville, Massachusetts

37 months ago

Was wondering if anyone else had the same experience or has come across this un-professional type in their job hunt?

So I see a posting online that I like and submit my resume to it. Next day I receive an email wanting to arrange a phone screen. I provide my ideal times and wait to hear back. A day passes...no response so I try emailing again...still no response. I try calling her number and get voice mail and I leave a message. A week passes and I still haven't heard back from her so I've given up on the opportunity at this point.

A month passes and I suddenly receive an email from her stating that the companies priorities changed and now they want to hire for this position again. This time we agree on a date and time to hold a phone screen, Halleluia!!

I find a private location to conduct the interview (I am currently employed and time agreed upon falls within normal business hours). I expect a call from her, don't get it. Wait another 5 minutes...still nothing. I try calling her and get voice mail and I leave a message. I also send an email reminding her about this meeting.

After half an hour she replies back apologising that she was stuck in a meeting and nonchalantly requests to try again 10 minutes later. I cannot because at this point I am back at my office and I suggested other times this week which do not work for her so we're trying to work out a schedule for next week. This is where we stand now, I sent the last email and haven't heard back from her since.

It's frustrating that the job itself is interesting but I have already been turned off by her flaky behavior. Shouldn't the company itself be concerned that good candidates could potentially be repelled by their gatekeeper who has nothing to do with the job and what the company stands for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

beginagainla in Los Angeles, California

37 months ago

The woman you met with IS a reflection of the company. The company condones her behavior by keeping her employed.

Flakiness is not a trait one just picks up over night. Trust me. The company is well aware of her work ethic, and they clearly don't care enough to replace her. How else do you judge a company except by the people who work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

parafreegal in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

I don't think I'd allow myself to be strung along like you have for much longer. She sounds like a recruiter at an employment agency, frankly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Willimantic, Connecticut

29 months ago

I've encountered this behavior over the years from HR. They say one thing, do another. Be ware of this type, they usually lie frequently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

neednewjob in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

Scott in Willimantic, Connecticut said: I've encountered this behavior over the years from HR. They say one thing, do another. Be ware of this type, they usually lie frequently.

I'm not so fast to call them liars. I will label these types as flakes who have no idea what is going on. I've met several who act like this, and they simply don't have the neural capacity to intentionally deceive.

I was talking with an HR recruiter at an office party recently. He told me flat out that it was a job that took no skills or talent to do, and that tends to reflect in the type of people who fill the role. Below average intelligence who have no ambition.

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

Need New Job in Chicago, Illinois said: I was talking with an HR recruiter at an office party recently. He told me flat out that it was a job that took no skills or talent to do, and that tends to reflect in the type of people who fill the role. Below average intelligence who have no ambition.

I believe I have all the necessary skills that you require. When do I start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dream_over in Fishers, Indiana

29 months ago

Oo, oo I met one of those people though not a recruiter, a head of operations.
Sent resume, they liked, asked for examples of work, sent those, again with the 'we heart you enthusiasm' they asked to schedule a call, I gave my availability, they said x day, I say what time shall we use, they never responded. Day goes by and I waited just in case they responded but if they respond now I plan on declining further discussion.

It's always the ones that tell you how much they like you that seem to let you down most, not just in jobs either huh. People being people whad'yagonna'do.

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

29 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: I believe I have all the necessary skills that you require. When do I start?

I worked in HR many years ago for a Fortune 500 company. Most of the recruiters and HR Managers felt they had all the power when it came to hiring and disciplining employees. I was an "outcast" because I didn't look at people the way they did! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: I worked in HR many years ago for a Fortune 500 company. Most of the recruiters and HR Managers felt they had all the power when it came to hiring and disciplining employees. I was an "outcast" because I didn't look at people the way they did! :)

Many people blame HR for all the evils in the world but that may be because they are the only "face" we see. They get their "marching orders" from the top, just like everybody else.

You need to go much higher in order to place blame.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.