Follow up? Wait it out? Help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Jassy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Hi there,

So here is my situation.

The week before Christmas, I received a call from the Head of HR from a internationally known company (I applied for a position about 2 weeks earlier). She wanted to do a phone interview (no prior notice). After the interview, she asked if I could come in to see her the next day. Short notice, but no problem.

The interview seemed to have gone very well; she was impressed with my resume and thanked me for being so prepared and coming in on such short notice. She explained the position is new and would start in early 2013 (no exact date given), told me about the perks of working for their company,etc. She also told me to visit one of their stores so I can get a 'feel' for the company's branding.

When I got home from the interview, I mailed her a handwritten thank you card which also expressed my interest in the position and company (no response, but that's normal). I was pretty excited that I seemed to have aced two interviews. That was December 20th.

I have yet to hear anything about the job. It was taken down from their website; however, according to my profile I'm still "under review" for that position (though it hasn't been updated since the phone interview).

I'm wondering if I should send her a short email asking her if I'm still in the running for the position. She did say during the interview if I had any questions at all, to please contact her (and this is a major question!). I've taken into consideration how big this company is and that she probably had a lot of applicants to go through. I have been applying to other jobs in the meantime, though my heart is really set on this one.

Is a month a decent amount of time to follow up? Or maybe I should wait it out considering it's a brand new position with no exact start date (except early 2013).

Thanks for any advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

37 months ago

That "under review" statement means nothing. She did say there was no precise start date and "early 2013" is relative. Also, you observed the company is big and is probably going through many applicants.

Don't call. Don't send any e-mails. Just keep looking. You will be called if the employer wants to go forward with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Thanks for your response. I'm fairly new to applying for jobs in the corporate sector, so I'm learning about how things 'work'. Some people tell me I should follow up, some say not to. But my gut tells me to just leave it be and whatever happens, happens. Just wanted to hear other opinions/experiences:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

The advice you gut gives you is the best advice you can get.

Good luck with your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

37 months ago

Jassy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Is a month a decent amount of time to follow up? Or maybe I should wait it out considering it's a brand new position with no exact start date (except early 2013).

Thanks for any advice!

No real way to tell; they might really be still deciding on whom to hire, or it could be they're just not updating their online app system because it's a low priority.

I would follow up with a quick call just to touch base.

Paralegal and I have very different views on "follow up" but we do agree on one thing; do not stop searching (and do not slow your search after a positive interview experience).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Oh, I'm definitely not going to stop searching/applying! Still going strong with that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenab in Austin, Texas

37 months ago

Jassy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Oh, I'm definitely not going to stop searching/applying! Still going strong with that.

Good to hear. And good luck.

Do let us know if/when you hear back from them.

jkirk in Emmaus, Pennsylvania

37 months ago

Jassy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Thanks for your response. I'm fairly new to applying for jobs in the corporate sector, so I'm learning about how things 'work'. Some people tell me I should follow up, some say not to. But my gut tells me to just leave it be and whatever happens, happens. Just wanted to hear other opinions/experiences:)

From sitting on the other side for many years I believe a follow up at this point is perfectly normal. To your point, she has a lot of candidates to search through with no specific start date on the position. Approach it from a "have you determined the start of this position" perspective . Alot can be said for staying in touch as it will keep you fresh in their minds..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

It could also annoy them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: It could also annoy them.

True....

but it could also get Jassy hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Or not hired when she could have otherwise been hired if she had simply been patient and remained quiet.

More than likely, her phone call(s) will go unreturned. Her e-mails will go unanswered. Bottom line is companies will contact you when they are good and ready to hire you. You will not be forgotten.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Perhaps... I prefer the half full perspective, and similar to your earlier post I feel you should never have to convince yourself to make your correct decision . Best of luck Jassy - the decision is yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

37 months ago

Calls are usually not welcomed. HR people like to play hide under the desk even when one did well on the interview. We live in different times now versus decades ago where the interviewee was treated well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Don't you mean the interviewER?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Thanks again, everyone:)

I don't think I'm going to email her. I'm just afraid it could backfire on me. If I'm hired or need to have a 3rd interview, they'll let me know.

I did noticed they have another job on their board that is very similar to the one I applied for. I was thinking of applying to that, but I found out this company will sometimes consider you for another job (even if you didn't apply) if they think you qualify

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

37 months ago

Good Luck.

jenab in Austin, Texas

36 months ago

Jassy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I don't think I'm going to email her. I'm just afraid it could backfire on me. If I'm hired or need to have a 3rd interview, they'll let me know.

I did noticed they have another job on their board that is very similar to the one I applied for. I was thinking of applying to that, but I found out this company will sometimes consider you for another job (even if you didn't apply) if they think you qualify

You need to do what's best for you, but I think you're being too cautious. A phone call a month after the interview for a job being filled some time after the new year isn't going to make or break your chances.

If they say it's already filled; you didn't ruin your chance. If they say they haven't decided yet, it will show that you're genuinely interested, and will take some initiative (versus being a chair warmer).

I became pro-followup when my stepbrother almost lost out on his dream job; they were literally going to call their #2 choice later the day he did follow up. He was told that because he hadn't followed up earlier they just didn't think he was all that interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I became anti-followup after: 1) my calls were generally not returned; 2) if calls were returned, the person (usually an attorney) neither knew nor understood why I called; 3) I was spoken to rudely or abruptly after I called.

I also became anti-followup because over many years employers would either offer me the job on the spot or within a few days max after interviewing and sending thank-you letters. Not hearing from the employer after a few days was a sure sign I wouldn't be offered the job, but I would give it ten to fifteen working days before I moved on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Don't you mean the interviewER?
I see what Joe is talking about. He is correct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

swhmetta in austin, Texas

36 months ago

It doesn't hurt to reach out and keep your original interview fresh in their minds. They get bombarded by applications. Even though they may have liked you and have you on high on their list, your interview performance may have faded a little from their minds. Now, you'd be competing with someone who just interviewed and IS fresh in their minds. I think being persistant is the classic way of expressing interest. If you don't feel like calling, track down an email address. Check for contact info for the HR person in LinkedIN. If can't find a way, then call and tell them that you are just "touching base" as to a status and that you are very interested. Don't sound desperate though. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

36 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I became anti-followup after: 1) my calls were generally not returned; 2) if calls were returned, the person (usually an attorney) neither knew nor understood why I called; 3) I was spoken to rudely or abruptly after I called.

I also became anti-followup because over many years employers would either offer me the job on the spot or within a few days max after interviewing and sending thank-you letters. Not hearing from the employer after a few days was a sure sign I wouldn't be offered the job, but I would give it ten to fifteen working days before I moved on.

I don't bother with this either. If they're interested, they will call. They have even told me this over when I did "follow up". I give it 30 days and then I move on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

So just to follow up since it's been awhile.

I wasn't selected for the job. My issue was that nobody even told me! I waiting two months, checking my online profile everyday. I happen to do one of my daily checks one day, and it said "Not Selected".

I'm fine with not being chosen, it happens. But at least send one of those "Thanks for applying, sorry you're not selected" emails. I've gotten one of these for jobs I didn't even interview for. To interview twice, and not even be told anything? Heck, I could still be wondering if I'm still in the running!

Bluetea in Texas

33 months ago

Jassy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: So just to follow up since it's been awhile.

I wasn't selected for the job. My issue was that nobody even told me! I waiting two months, checking my online profile everyday. I happen to do one of my daily checks one day, and it said "Not Selected".

I'm fine with not being chosen, it happens. But at least send one of those "Thanks for applying, sorry you're not selected" emails. I've gotten one of these for jobs I didn't even interview for. To interview twice, and not even be told anything? Heck, I could still be wondering if I'm still in the running!

Never wait for an answer. Give them 30 days and then move on.

You're the one who needs to put a time limit on this nonsense, not them.

33 months ago

Oh, I was applying to other jobs the entire time. It just would have been nice to know.

Bluetea in Texas

33 months ago

Jassy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Oh, I was applying to other jobs the entire time. It just would have been nice to know.

It would be "nice" to win the lottery too. Very few commpanies will tell you that you DIDN'T get the job. Maybe 1 out of 10, say via an email that they went with someone "whose background was a better fit, blah, blah, blah". The other 9? Nada.

Put your own time limit on the nonsense. For me, its 30 days.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.